Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: AimTrak-Converting a Namco Recoil Gun  (Read 137748 times)

RetroACTIVE

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 28, 2024, 04:27:52 pm
  • Gramps
AimTrak-Converting a Namco Recoil Gun
« on: April 20, 2012, 09:24:00 pm »
Here is a little project that shows how you can install the AimTrak light gun module into a Namco Time Crisis II type recoil gun.

The Issues at a Glance - Fitting and Conversion:
1. Determine the best fit for the AimTrak itself given the already specific design of the Namco gun plastics and AimTrak.
2. Adapt the solenoid to connect to the AimTrak system seamlessly, no splices, cuts or hacks.
3. Find an alternative conduit for the Namco gun cable hose as it is pretty specific to the Namco cabinet and doesn’t really fit well with a non dedicated shooter cabinet.

The Namco Recoil Gun - What you will need
Depending upon your budget or preference, you may just be able to get a non-working gun in decent enough shape from eBay.  You will need
both left, right halves and left and right slides (basically a complete unbroken plastics), along with the trigger, trigger spring, trigger switch
and working solenoid assembly. You will also need the metal bracket that holds the wire hose and gun halves together that is mounted in the gun handle.
The cost of this adds up quick... especially with the Namco parts from Happ.

You can make this as easy or as complicated as you like.  I chose complicated because I'm a tinkerer and bit of a neat nick when it comes to wiring and such.
Therefore, I made it a priority to not cut or damage the Namco hardware in anyway. The thought of cutting/grinding and hacking
up a piece of plastic that I spent more on than the actual AimTrak itself was not too appealing to me.  So my rule, no alteration
to the hardware of the gun and no glue, goop, tape or anything crafty... I wanted this to fit as much as if it was meant to be in there in the first place.

The completed gun:

The camera fitted into the nose of the gun (I built a special little piece out of ABS for this):

AimTrak, wrapped in heat shrink tubing with added 2.0mm connector for USB:

TIP102 driver mounted to the solenoid assembly.  You will also need to upgrade your AimTrak firmware (v8.12) so it will drive the solenoid transistor on trigger press.

AimTrak, camera removed and extended to fit in the Namco gun:

Close up of the camera mount:

Wiring harness, built to fit to the existing Namco trigger and solenoid as well as the AimTrak

Here is the hose, cable and gun mount.  Utilizing the 5pos 2.0mm connector to allow for fit in the gun.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2012, 07:43:12 pm by RetroACTIVE »
Happy Gaming!

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 17, 2024, 08:21:52 pm
Re: AimTrak-Converting a Namco Recoil Gun
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2012, 10:04:16 am »
Thanks for posting this.   :cheers:
I'd tried this method with a 33N10 mosfet, but the 24v overwhelmed it so that the solenoid just stayed on after the first press.  Moved up to a TIP120 and the pulse from the aimtrak was either too weak or too short to get it to trigger.  I'll go pick up some TIP102s and try again.  :lol

Could you give us some more info on the hose and connectors you used?

RetroACTIVE

• Offline Offline
  • Gramps
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2012, 10:22:25 am »
Thanks for posting this.   :cheers:
I'd tried this method with a 33N10 mosfet, but the 24v overwhelmed it so that the solenoid just stayed on after the first press.  Moved up to a TIP120 and the pulse from the aimtrak was either too weak or too short to get it to trigger.  I'll go pick up some TIP102s and try again.  :lol

Could you give us some more info on the hose and connectors you used?

No prob...  Check the parts list I've attached... It has the info you are looking for. :)
Happy Gaming!

Mark Thomas

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 16, 2014, 07:41:56 am
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2012, 12:17:06 pm »
Can we see the gun in action?

RetroACTIVE

• Offline Offline
  • Gramps
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2012, 12:43:43 pm »
Can we see the gun in action?

Sure give me a bit I'll post a video.
Happy Gaming!

Mark Thomas

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2012, 04:50:36 pm »
Thanks buddy, Very interested to see how it works with games like Terminator 2 and Operation wolf as well as Point Blank.  :cheers:

RetroACTIVE

• Offline Offline
  • Gramps
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2012, 07:39:21 pm »
Thanks buddy, Very interested to see how it works with games like Terminator 2 and Operation wolf as well as Point Blank.  :cheers:

Sure I'll show those... I've an idea for the secondary button that is needed for op wolf and t2, however I've not implemented it yet.
Happy Gaming!

RetroACTIVE

• Offline Offline
  • Gramps
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2012, 08:55:17 pm »
I put my new plastics on for this video  ;)

« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 09:31:31 am by RetroACTIVE »
Happy Gaming!

RetroACTIVE

• Offline Offline
  • Gramps
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2012, 08:05:15 pm »
I've been playing the living daylights out of this... I am noticing an issue with the first few recoils after the gun sits idle... they are weak.  After a few trigger actuations it recoils fine.

I have a tweak to the circuit I will be testing in the next few days.
Happy Gaming!

Mark Thomas

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2012, 06:56:27 am »
Great stuff, really enjoyed the footage.

Couple of questions if you dont mind?

1. What was your idea for extra button required on Operation wolf/ T2. I could only imagine a remapping to a button on control panel unless you were thinking of altering gun some more.

2. Have you also tried the gun with any other games/ emulators or pc gun games? Like HOTD or virtua Cop

3. How has the project lived up to your expectations of getting that exact arcade feel from a custom gun mod?

Thanks

RetroACTIVE

• Offline Offline
  • Gramps
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2012, 09:09:38 am »
Great stuff, really enjoyed the footage.

Couple of questions if you dont mind?

1. What was your idea for extra button required on Operation wolf/ T2. I could only imagine a remapping to a button on control panel unless you were thinking of altering gun some more.

I have a very small SMT button that fits perfectly into the recess of the gun mounting hardware.  I will probably drill a 1/32-1/16 hole for the wires on the inside of the plastic (which will not be visible or corrupt the plastic) and mount the button in the hole with some non-permanent adhesive.

2. Have you also tried the gun with any other games/ emulators or pc gun games? Like HOTD or virtua Cop

Nope... not yet.

3. How has the project lived up to your expectations of getting that exact arcade feel from a custom gun mod?

Thanks
This gun behaves exactly as if it were installed in an Namco cab and recoil action is no different than the arcade experience.  So yes, definitely.

As far as the AimTrak itself...I've read most of the AimTrak threads and it seems that folks have mixed results with the gun...calibration issues and whatnot.
I can honestly say I haven't experienced any of these issues (yet).  When I calibrate this gun I can use the sights to aim and it is accurate.  Now you cant go and shoot from any relative position (up close vs. far away)... this gun calibrates to the angle and distance the gun is from the screen.  That being said, you can somewhat control consistency with the appropriate hose length from the gun to the cabinet.  For a universal gun, i don't think you can get any better than this, I mean I can play Operation Wolf, Terminator 2, Crossbow, Point Blank... These games represent very different implementations of shooter games and all work very well with this product.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 09:26:00 am by RetroACTIVE »
Happy Gaming!

AlanS17

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 02, 2019, 08:35:48 am
  • I won't even pretend to be clever...
    • AlanS17
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2012, 04:52:29 pm »
IMO, Namco makes the very best arcade guns. This project is full of win! Darnnit... Now I wanna go play some Time Crisis...

Mark Thomas

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2012, 01:38:27 pm »
Really pleased to hear that it all came out well mate, great idea with the added button on the gun unit you really have some great skills :notworthy: any pics of mod?

Did you sort out the issue with the power loss when the gun was left idle and then used again?

And would you consider doing a step by step guide? Or even selling full completed units? I would certainly be interested in getting 2 of these bad boys for my cab.  :cheers:

And finally where did you get your hose from?

Sorry for all the questions

« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 01:48:10 pm by Mark Thomas »

RetroACTIVE

• Offline Offline
  • Gramps
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2012, 11:16:58 am »
I'm in the process of designing a PCB with all the connectors and drive circuitry installed.  So its a possibility to offer a DIY kit.  However, I'm not sure about the camera mount... its pretty specific and hand made... mass producing this would be impossible for me.

My plan is to put together a step-by-step... I just need to work out a few kinks.

Yes I've fixed the recoil problem.  I will update the schematic when I have some time.

I've not finished the aux button mod yet... I'm going to get to that next.

I got the hose off of eBay.

Keep the questions coming :)
Happy Gaming!

lodoss118

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 29, 2023, 12:18:30 pm
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2012, 05:59:41 am »
I already have 2 namco guns blue and pink, would be cool if you could create the pcb, one thing the guns do lack are extra buttons.
I made a video of using the usb2gun board which didn't work well as it it detects the guns as joysticks.

Would you create some kit specifically for these types of guns i.e namco guns

Where abouts are you located retro?

Mark Thomas

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2012, 11:42:49 am »
I'm in the process of designing a PCB with all the connectors and drive circuitry installed.  So its a possibility to offer a DIY kit.  However, I'm not sure about the camera mount... its pretty specific and hand made... mass producing this would be impossible for me.

My plan is to put together a step-by-step... I just need to work out a few kinks.

Yes I've fixed the recoil problem.  I will update the schematic when I have some time.

I've not finished the aux button mod yet... I'm going to get to that next.

I got the hose off of eBay.

Keep the questions coming :)

Sounds good I must admit I don't understand how it all works or what you have done but I know that it looks amazing. Can you tell me what you mean by camera mount and pcb? Is this the aim track stuff?

And is the hose literally just a tube to contain the USB lead or is it a bit more complex than this?

Sorry for all the questions I'm just trying to get a better understanding of it all :)

drventure

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 25, 2023, 02:23:57 pm
  • Laser Death Ray Bargain Bin! Make me an offer!
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2012, 12:32:41 pm »
That hose gives me a great idea. I saw a steampunk maker strip the black cover off some climbing rope and use it to wrap the eletrical cord for a build he did.

That'd look great on some USB guns, be tough but very flexible.

Very interesting in this recoil setup BTW!

RetroACTIVE

• Offline Offline
  • Gramps
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2012, 04:32:27 pm »
Here is what I'm thinking... not sure if anyone would be interested

I am getting a PCB made to fit in the gun, the PCB will have the drive circuitry and connector.

I could offer the PCB stuffed with driver circuit, connector and companion plug housing w/pigtails as a kit.  This would contain the proper termination for the AimTrak connector, Namco coil as well as the 5' pigtails needed to connect to the external +24V power supply.

You would still have to deal with terminating the USB cable and separating the camera from the AimTrak (this is not for the person with basic soldering skills... you need good equipment and semi-decent skills to do this).

Not sure if its worth it... just throwing it out there.  I figured if I'm getting PCBs made, I might as well see if anyone else is interested.
Happy Gaming!

lodoss118

• Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2012, 08:21:42 am »
 I am interesting but not sure i could do the termination link with the aimtrak, not really that technical.

What i was wondering if you could maybe for people like me who have these already full namco gun sets, could create via
individual order to have the aimtrak and pcb kits and make it as much as possible plug & play lol. Obviously this will include ordering the
aimtrak (do the customization) and your pcb etc..

how much would charge for this personal service lol
« Last Edit: May 05, 2012, 08:26:04 am by lodoss118 »

RetroACTIVE

• Offline Offline
  • Gramps
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2012, 09:48:31 am »
I am interesting but not sure i could do the termination link with the aimtrak, not really that technical.

What i was wondering if you could maybe for people like me who have these already full namco gun sets, could create via
individual order to have the aimtrak and pcb kits and make it as much as possible plug & play lol. Obviously this will include ordering the
aimtrak (do the customization) and your pcb etc..

how much would charge for this personal service lol

That may be possible... however I don't really want to be in the business of stocking  AimTrak modules... maybe do an exchange or something like that?
Happy Gaming!

lodoss118

• Offline Offline
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2012, 03:40:33 pm »
what I was thinking was paying you upfront for the aimtrak and pcb kit plus any other stuff to make it as easy as possible to do the swap.

I live in the uk so also will need to include delivery charges to the uk :()

RetroACTIVE

• Offline Offline
  • Gramps
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2012, 04:55:22 pm »
what I was thinking was paying you upfront for the aimtrak and pcb kit plus any other stuff to make it as easy as possible to do the swap.

I live in the uk so also will need to include delivery charges to the uk :()

Ive another gent that has asked the same thing... If I can work out a less labor intensive camera mount I could certainly do the gun as a kit.

However, the other roadblock for a complete DIY kit is the gun conduit/hose.   The USB cable needs to be terminated after its threaded into the hose.  I have some of the conduit I used left, but when its gone ...I won't likely be purchasing anymore.
Happy Gaming!

mixstyck

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 20, 2012, 10:39:10 am
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2012, 10:34:43 pm »
any updates on the schematic about the idle "problem"

RetroACTIVE

• Offline Offline
  • Gramps
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2012, 09:52:52 am »
any updates on the schematic about the idle "problem"

Turns out it was a mechanical issue... go figure.

The Namco recoil mechanism has a small piece of rubber that absorbs the impact of the slide when it returns to its forward position.  After one recoil, the rubber would mash up nice and cause the solenoid mechanism to stick a bit... requiring an extra 1 or 2 triggers to get it to free up.  In a rapid fire situation, it would never stick because of the natural rebound effect (keeping it from staying still).  I cleaned the mechanism and all is well!

On a related note, the recoil pulse is 40ms.  Andy (Ultimarc) has done enough testing with this to have a high confidence that its the correct pulse width.  I thought for sure that the  pulse width was not wide enough.  Although, increasing the pulse width would have fixed my issue because it would have caused it to pull longer and free up the mechanism... it would have been the wrong fix.  In reality you really only want the solenoid to be energized for the minimum amount to cause the recoil... any more, you are just heating it up for nothing.  So after all this testing, I am convinced that 40ms is actually perfect.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 10:44:47 am by RetroACTIVE »
Happy Gaming!

mixstyck

• Offline Offline
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2012, 10:17:36 am »

I bought two namco guns on ebay and i received my aim trak from andy yesterday

Just to make sure : which pin on the aimtrak module is for recoil, I saw a post 1 year ago from andy and he says the p5 but on your diagram is on pin 4.

thanks for you help

RetroACTIVE

• Offline Offline
  • Gramps
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2012, 10:20:11 am »
Mine is correct.
Happy Gaming!

mixstyck

• Offline Offline
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2012, 10:58:09 am »
I tested my namco gun yesterday.
I use your wiring diagram and everything is working!!

Thanks   :cheers:

RetroACTIVE

• Offline Offline
  • Gramps
« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2012, 01:55:17 am »
I tested my namco gun yesterday.
I use your wiring diagram and everything is working!!

Thanks   :cheers:

Great!  I'm just about to build a few dozen PCBs with parts and connectors to save a bunch of soldering when building one of these.

I've almost got it to the point where a DIY kit is possible...
Happy Gaming!

lodoss118

• Offline Offline
« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2012, 06:21:11 pm »
cool cant wait :)

RetroACTIVE

• Offline Offline
  • Gramps
« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2012, 11:27:19 am »

Here it is what it is looking like:

- 3' Gun hose with fitting  $25.00 ($2.00 per extra foot)
Includes USB termination at both ends and power lines for the solenoid.
(see follow-up post... pricing changed)

- Trigger/Recoil PCB $25.00.
Driver circuit and connectors with custom trigger harness to the AimTrak.  Makes installation a breeze (no solder).

If you want to install the AimTrak the way I have shown (without modifying the plastics) you may add the following:

- Camera Mount $10.00
This is a hand made item.  Allows the AimTrak camera to fit as close to the end of the barrel and provides an easy no-mod installation into the Namco plastics.

-AimTrak Exchange $10.00
The camera needs to be separated from the main PCB for this.  If you are uncomfortable modifying your AimTrak yourself I will offer an AimTrak exchange and do the mod for you.

I've tweaked the installation and final kit design since I've first posted this.  It's streamlined and fits much neater in the gun.  Full installation instructions would be provided.  None of this includes shipping.

Some have asked for me to do the whole thing.  If you want t do that you will need to send me the Namco gun and an AimTrak, (or upfront deposit for the AimTrak)... I would ask for an additional $20.00 (for my time) to do the job for you.

Of course, absolutely none of this is endorsed my Ultimarc.  This is my mod done my way.   If you are uncomfortable with me performing surgery on the AimTrak, then this isn't the kit for you ;)

I can't make this any cheaper for two reasons... #1.  I don't build crap and #2. My time is ultra limited, and it takes quite some time to terminate and assemble this.  I realize this is a pretty expensive kit and may not make sense to a lot of people.  If there is enough interest I will be able to make this happen.  Right now I'm just floating it out there... and it may just end up being that... a floater ;)
« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 12:40:22 pm by RetroACTIVE »
Happy Gaming!

lodoss118

• Offline Offline
« Reply #30 on: May 20, 2012, 05:38:36 pm »
sounds good when do you think you will take orders?

RetroACTIVE

• Offline Offline
  • Gramps
« Reply #31 on: May 20, 2012, 05:43:57 pm »
Some time in June.  I am waiting on USB connectors.
Happy Gaming!

mytymaus007

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 18, 2023, 09:58:40 am
  • http://gameroom.atozmicro.com
« Reply #32 on: May 20, 2012, 10:52:00 pm »

Driver circuit and connectors with custom trigger harness to the AimTrak.  Makes installation a breeze (no solder).

If you want to install the AimTrak the way I have shown (without modifying the plastics) you may add the following:

- Camera Mount $10.00
This is a hand made item.  Allows the AimTrak camera to fit as close to the end of the barrel and provides an easy no-mod installation into the Namco plastics.

-AimTrak Exchange $10.00
The camera needs to be separated from the main PCB for this.  If you are uncomfortable modifying your AimTrak yourself I will offer an AimTrak exchange and do the mod for you.

I've tweaked the installation and final kit design since I've first posted this.  It's streamlined and fits much neater in the gun.  Full installation instructions would be provided.  None of this includes shipping.

Some have asked for me to do the whole thing.  If you want t do that you will need to send me the Namco gun and an AimTrak, (or upfront deposit for the AimTrak)... I would ask for an additional $20.00 (for my time) to do the job for you.

Of course, absolutely none of this is endorsed my Ultimarc.  This is my mod done my way.   If you are uncomfortable with me performing surgery on the AimTrak, then this isn't the kit for you ;)

I can't make this any cheaper for two reasons... #1.  I don't build crap and #2. My time is ultra limited, and it takes quite some time to terminate and assemble this.  I realize this is a pretty expensive kit and may not make sense to a lot of people.  If there is enough interest I will be able to make this happen.  Right now I'm just floating it out there... and it may just end up being that... a floater ;)
so roughly it will cost $90 for parts and labor plus the cost of a namco gun and aimtrak which we will provide for you is that correct. Im just putting everything together for the total cost before shipping. Count me in for a completed  Namco Gun! Did you ever think of modding and ALIENS extermintation machine gun WOW that would be awsome! Played it at the local chuckie cheese last week just saying! Nice work keep it up!

mytymaus007

• Offline Offline

RetroACTIVE

• Offline Offline
  • Gramps
« Reply #34 on: May 20, 2012, 11:16:49 pm »
Is this the Gun to get for the project do know where i can fina black one!!!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NAMCO-TIME-CRISIS-1-II-Or-POINT-BLANK-REPLACEMENT-OPTIC-RECOIL-GUN-BY-HAPP-/190664031953?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c64763ed1

No that's the Happ gun that is sold as a replacement to the genuine Namco.
Happy Gaming!

RetroACTIVE

• Offline Offline
  • Gramps
« Reply #35 on: May 20, 2012, 11:18:43 pm »

- Camera Mount $10.00

-AimTrak Exchange $10.00

so roughly it will cost $90 for parts and labor plus the cost of a namco gun and aimtrak which we will provide for you is that correct. Im just putting everything together for the total cost before shipping. Count me in for a completed  Namco Gun! Did you ever think of modding and ALIENS extermintation machine gun WOW that would be awsome! Played it at the local chuckie cheese last week just saying! Nice work keep it up!

Yep you got it.

I've never looked at the Aliens gun.  A machine gun would require a different circuit though.
Happy Gaming!

mytymaus007

• Offline Offline
« Reply #36 on: May 22, 2012, 03:39:35 pm »
is there anyone that sells the Namco gun new, or it only works on the originals. Let me know i would like to get the gun and have it modded if you are willing to do so thanks!!

RetroACTIVE

• Offline Offline
  • Gramps
« Reply #37 on: May 22, 2012, 04:00:38 pm »
is there anyone that sells the Namco gun new, or it only works on the originals. Let me know i would like to get the gun and have it modded if you are willing to do so thanks!!

http://www.arcadespareparts.com/arcade_parts/shooting_parts/namco_gun_assembly/13200.html

...or you can buy all the plastic separately from Happ (see my parts list on first post) and find a solenoid assembly on ebay.

It's pretty pricey no matter how you cut it... although (I think) its awesome having the Namco gun setup, the sheer cost kills it for most... it almost did for me.
Happy Gaming!

RetroACTIVE

• Offline Offline
  • Gramps
« Reply #38 on: May 26, 2012, 01:33:29 pm »
I've devised a cheaper and easier way to deal with the camera and was able to get the cost of the PCB down some :)

- 3' Gun hose with fitting  $20.00 ($2.00 per extra foot) Includes USB termination at both ends and power lines for the solenoid.

- Trigger/Recoil PCB $15.00.

- Camera Mount $2.00

-AimTrak Exchange $10.00

Full installation instructions would be provided.  None of this includes shipping.

Some have asked for me to do the whole thing.  If you want t do that you will need to send me the Namco gun and an AimTrak, (or upfront deposit for the AimTrak)... I would ask for $20.00 (for my time) to do the job for you.  Also to clarify, the $10.00 AimTrak mod fee is not necessary if you are going to pay 20.00 for me to do the complete job :)
Happy Gaming!

RetroACTIVE

• Offline Offline
  • Gramps
« Reply #39 on: May 29, 2012, 06:48:59 pm »
Hey folks... I realize this kit isn't for everyone... however I've got 2 maybe 3 interested.  I'm probably not going to do this if there isn't enough interest to do a minimum of 8.
Happy Gaming!