Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: lighting a trackball  (Read 7967 times)

GregD

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2015, 02:26:41 pm
    • Arcade Nebula
lighting a trackball
« on: April 18, 2012, 10:06:56 am »
Wondering what the best option is to light a standard Happ 3" trackball.  Not looking for RGB or anything like that.  I just want it lit green.  I suppose I will need to replace the white trackball with a translucent ball right?

HaRuMaN

• Supreme Solder King
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+45)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 15, 2024, 08:02:44 pm
  • boom
    • Arcade Madness
Re: lighting a trackball
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2012, 10:17:25 am »
Yes.

RandyT

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 15, 2024, 04:06:30 pm
  • Friends don't let friends hack keyboards.
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2012, 10:18:27 am »
Email me.  I can offer you an upgrade kit with a diffused translucent green ball and high power light unit.  IMHO, you won't find a better green illuminated trackball replacement.

RandyT

alfonzotan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 28, 2023, 08:39:45 am
    • The Cab With No Name
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2012, 10:49:49 am »
I just bought one of these, attached it to the bottom of my control panel with zip ties, and fiddled with it until the light was aligned properly right underneath the Happ case.  It shines up through the translucent trackball (orange in my case) and works great:

http://www.meritline.com/usb-led-light-silver---p-23897.aspx

monkey puzzle

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 23, 2024, 02:11:59 pm
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2012, 12:44:09 pm »
A cheap option would be what I did. Just buy some high power LEDs with resistors from EBAY. Fit one resistor to each LED that you use, conect them all in parallel and wire back to your pc power supply.

Cynicaster

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 22, 2021, 12:12:55 pm
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2012, 12:53:24 pm »
I've got a pretty dimly lit basement, so I was able to get away with some spare Christmas lights I had lying around.  Kind of red-neck, but works great. 

Mysterioii

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 31, 2018, 11:44:34 am
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2012, 01:50:16 pm »
A cheap option would be what I did. Just buy some high power LEDs with resistors from EBAY. Fit one resistor to each LED that you use, conect them all in parallel and wire back to your pc power supply.

Yeah, I've bought tons of LEDs of off ebay (most coming from Hong Kong/China) and I've never had any problems.  A lot of the made-in-china electronics on ebay are junk but I've had pretty good luck with raw components.  I've gotten some LED *assemblies* that were crap, obviously hand soldered and probably by someone just learning the ropes (or a kid).  But you can get bulk packs of all different sorts of LEDs pretty cheap.

A translucent ball is key though.  Randy said he could hook you up with a translucent green one but if I were you I might at least consider getting the frosted white one in case you ever decide to go the RGB route in the future.  I also saw a marbleized blue one on ebay recently... that would look pretty cool in green and illuminated from below.

Here's the blue marble one I saw (the guy sells the ball separately too).  It *looks* translucent (or partially-translucent) in the picture but it doesn't describe it as translucent, so maybe it's just an oversaturated picture making it look that way?  Assuming it passes some light I wonder if you could get it to look a decent shade of green by lighting it from underneath with yellow or green LEDs...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-BLUE-MARBLE-TRACKBALL-GIVE-YOUR-GAME-NEW-LOOK-/120300774446

[Edit]:  Sent a message to the seller and he said those are white/blue opaque trackballs that won't pass light, so those don't work.  Still, a semi-translucent marble swirl seems like that could be pretty cool (hint hint, Randy...)   :lol
« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 02:43:31 pm by Mysterioii »

mcseforsale

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 09, 2024, 03:07:41 pm
  • Creepy Mario Dude
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2012, 10:12:50 am »
Randy...will you be putting these upgrade kits on the site?  You had mentioned a black translucent trackball, but I never saw pics and it never made it on the site.  I got all my EI2's wired up, but my trackball looks kinda lonely.   :-\

AJ

Email me.  I can offer you an upgrade kit with a diffused translucent green ball and high power light unit.  IMHO, you won't find a better green illuminated trackball replacement.

RandyT

Mysterioii

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2012, 10:25:04 am »
He's got the electric ice version if you're inclined to go full RGB (currently out of stock in the 3" version apparently).  I haven't seen him list colored translucent balls like the green one he mentioned though.

http://groovygamegear.com/webstore/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=74&products_id=273

[EDIT] ah I think I see... if you order his store-branded Groovy-TB 3" trackball, there are options for red, green or blue diffused translucent balls.  He just doesn't seem to have a store listing for the balls by themselves.

http://groovygamegear.com/webstore/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=74&products_id=363
« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 10:28:21 am by Mysterioii »

mcseforsale

• Offline Offline
  • Creepy Mario Dude
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2012, 10:49:37 am »
Yeah.  In another thread, he said that he has some *black* translucent trackballs that he could package up, but I will need to see what they look like first.  It was over in the vendor/fs forum....post 31, I think:

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=107167.0

Man, I'd love to sneak in a translucent trackball with new bearings and spindles under the wife-dar...

AJ

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2024, 11:03:32 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2012, 10:55:03 am »
Those of you with a U-Trak, do you know what size screw you would need to mount the light kit on the bottom using the small hole next to the main one?
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

AndyWarne

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 11, 2021, 03:37:09 am
    • Ultimarc
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2012, 02:58:25 pm »
Those of you with a U-Trak, do you know what size screw you would need to mount the light kit on the bottom using the small hole next to the main one?

This is a self-tapping size 4.

Talking balls ;D we have translucent pearl and translucent red balls on their own orderable by email  but not green. We have the new version of the trackball RGB illumination kit (which I need to get some pictures of).
andy@ultimarc.com

mcseforsale

• Offline Offline
  • Creepy Mario Dude
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2012, 03:00:27 pm »
What are prices and yes...pics are awesome!!

AJ

Talking balls ;D we have translucent pearl and translucent red balls on their own orderable by email  but not green. We have the new version of the trackball RGB illumination kit (which I need to get some pictures of).
andy@ultimarc.com

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2024, 11:03:32 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2012, 03:16:14 pm »

Talking balls ;D we have translucent pearl and translucent red balls on their own orderable by email  but not green. We have the new version of the trackball RGB illumination kit (which I need to get some pictures of).
andy@ultimarc.com

Thanks, Andy! That's why you're the best!

If it's a #4, what is the length?
« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 03:17:51 pm by yotsuya »
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 06:46:32 am
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2012, 01:25:00 pm »
Edit: Added clarification to buttons and parts list.

I designed my portable modular CP to run off one USB connection that feeds an unpowered hub--maximum 100 mA current draw per connection.

It uses 3 Button Blaster LEDs with resistors from GGG (BB and R1), 14 LED 12V buttons from Paradise(LB), and an 11 ohm current limiting resistor (R2).

------------5V------------------------>
|     |    |           |     |     |    |  
BB  BB  BB       LB   LB  LB  LB (Total of 14)
R1  R1  R1        -------------------->
|     |    |                    |
|     |    |                   R2
-----------Ground--------

The left side is the trackball circuit, the right side is the buttons.

Green lines on the attached picture represent the R1 resistors--bend leads to route around LEDs. 5V and Ground wires can be attached to different holes on their respective rails to make mounting easier, if needed. I also fastened a piece of plastic on the underside to insulate the solder connections from shorting out.

This whole 17 LED + resistor configuration draws about 81 mA.

The only thing I might change about it is to use only 2 BB LEDs, since using 3 lights up my U-Trak much brighter than the Buttons.

Partial parts list:
Solderable breadboard - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0040Z6OK6/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00

5v USB Power Tap Cable - http://groovygamegear.com/webstore/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=78&products_id=299

ButtonBlaster LED (with resistor) - http://groovygamegear.com/webstore/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=83&products_id=263

LED Buttons - This circuit uses 12V LEDs powered by a 5V circuit. this allows the LEDs to last longer and draw less current. http://www.paradisearcadeshop.com/en/led-pushbuttons/234-led-convex-arcade-pushbuttonwhite-led-convex-arcade-pushbutton.html

30 Connection Black Daisy Chain (.250") - Makes wiring the LED buttons really easy http://www.paradisearcadeshop.com/en/jamma-harnesses/406-30-connection-black-daisy-chain-110.html

30 Connection Red Daisy Chain (.250") - http://www.paradisearcadeshop.com/en/jamma-harnesses/407-30-connection-black-daisy-chain-110.html
« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 08:26:52 am by PL1 »

Santoro

• Purveyor of Shiny Arcade Goodness
  • Santoro
  • Trade Count: (+32)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 23, 2023, 07:05:04 pm
  • Boycott Quarters!!!
    • ArcadeReplay!
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2012, 01:33:20 pm »
I went simple -

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=71848.msg1268632#msg1268632

I got the LEDs from SuperbrightLEDs.com some time ago for a pinball machine upgrade but they work great here too.  The socket is the same one used for recent Happ coin doors.

mcseforsale

• Offline Offline
  • Creepy Mario Dude
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2012, 05:43:34 pm »
Damn.  I broke one of those sockets!  :-[  I wish I could order just that...

Neat upgrade, though!

AJ

Mysterioii

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2012, 11:46:36 pm »
I designed my portable modular CP to run off one USB connection that feeds an unpowered hub--maximum 100 mA current draw per connection.

It uses 3 Button Blaster LEDs with resistors from GGG (BB and R1), 14 LED buttons from Paradise(LB), and an 11 ohm current limiting resistor (R2).

I'm having trouble understanding how things add up here, the three button blasters from GGG are expected to draw 20mA each so that only leaves 21 mA through 14 LEDs, which shouldn't be enough to light them up.  Are all your buttons illuminated all the time or do they only illuminate when pressed?  Something just doesn't add up there.

It's also a bit of bad design form to run parallel LEDs with a single current limiting resistor.  While all the LEDs may be ideally identical, in the real world they won't be.  Some will end up getting a little more current than others, may cause them to have a reduced lifespan.  And if one or more were to burn out then the current through the others will go up.  Probably not that big a deal but thought I'd mention it.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 06:46:32 am
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2012, 08:16:19 am »

It uses 3 Button Blaster LEDs with resistors from GGG (BB and R1), 14 LED buttons from Paradise(LB), and an 11 ohm current limiting resistor (R2).

I'm having trouble understanding how things add up here, the three button blasters from GGG are expected to draw 20mA each so that only leaves 21 mA through 14 LEDs, which shouldn't be enough to light them up.  Are all your buttons illuminated all the time or do they only illuminate when pressed?  Something just doesn't add up there.

It's also a bit of bad design form to run parallel LEDs with a single current limiting resistor.  While all the LEDs may be ideally identical, in the real world they won't be.  Some will end up getting a little more current than others, may cause them to have a reduced lifespan.  And if one or more were to burn out then the current through the others will go up.  Probably not that big a deal but thought I'd mention it.

Great questions/observations, Mysterioii.

The first thing to remember is the difference between published specs and actual working values.  The specs are the upper limits. I try to stay well within the limits.

Second, some of this is what some of my co-workers would refer to as "FM" - F. . .antastic Magic. (Uh, yeah, that's it.)

One way to envision electronics is to compare it to plumbing: current=amount of water, voltage=water pressure, etc. You know what happens when someone is in the shower and someone else flushes the toilet--parallel load applied to the supply results in decreased flow and a  :angry: response from the shower.

Several clarifications:

1. If you take apart the LED buttons from Paradise, and pull the LED completely out of the mounting socket, you find that the LED already has a current limiting resistor soldered to one leg. (not shown in my ASCII diagram)

2. I used 12V LED buttons, but powered them with 5v based on one of Bryan's (armi0024) posts in this thread:
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=112752.msg1200674#msg1200674
Mine draw about 3.7 mA each and are are constantly on.

3. The trackball lighting circuit draws 56mA when powered separately from the buttons, but only 40 mA when I add it to the button lighting circuit.

NOTE: When the GGG ButtonBlaster page says, "don't look directly into them, or you might be seeing them long after you cut the power!" they aren't kidding. :dizzy:

4. I just noticed that the 5V from my USB power tap is reading 4.8V. This might account for some of the difference from the expected readings.

Even after playing around with electronics to the component level for the last 30 years, some of this multi-stage series+parallel design math is still a little confusing, but I find it helps to throw the components on a solderless breadboard to test the circuit before final assembly.  This way I can change variables and test differences between the specs + actual operating measurements before I actually commit to the final circuit. That's how I came up with the value for R2--cautious trial and error after calculating values at http://ledcalc.com/#calc .

Scott
« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 08:54:39 am by PL1 »

aevans0001

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 06, 2023, 04:50:15 pm
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2019, 10:53:48 am »
Randy, Do I understand that you have a product to upgrade a 3" Happ trackball to rgb?  I am very interested and would love to get a link.  If you could send me a link It would be great!

Zeosstud

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 03:12:48 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2019, 11:58:52 pm »
My solution was to buy a strand of 12v LED lighting from Menards.. It is the kind that come with a plugin and connection and lights up the whole thing that way, but also, you can cut it off in pieces. Leaving the part that is easily plugged in and works like a champ intact.. I cut off the smallest piece from the other end as I could, turns out it contains 3 LEDs.. I then tapped into the 12V and ground of my PC and ran some cable out the back long enough so I could simply center the middle LED under the hole in my U-Trak and used gorilla tape to tape the thing in place, my wife soddered the 12v wire to the + connection and ground to the - connection of the little piece of led and done.

- Zeosstud