Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Vigolix, a super easy mini cab on 1 sheet of 2X4 plywood  (Read 92998 times)

Vigo

• the Scourage of Carpathia
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 21, 2024, 08:20:28 am
Vigolix, a super easy mini cab on 1 sheet of 2X4 plywood
« on: April 16, 2012, 06:42:17 pm »
I really wasn't planning on building an arcade cabinet over the weekend. I wasn't planning on building anything. It is just the dream I had Friday night left me with no choice. Here is the back-story:

As I slept on Friday night, snoozing away, I had a revelation come to me in a dream. I dreamt that I was in a strolling in some sort of castle/apartment complex when I happened to see a guy with a crappy crooked arcade machine. Upset that he didn't have the time or money or skills to make something, he was about ready to give up. I then showed him a simple cabinet design by cutting a wedge shape cabinet and using the remainder of the wood as supports. I told him it was a "wedgecade" and went so far as to tell him it only needed one piece of plywood. I go on my merry way and notice that everyone in this castle was building one. That is, until Skeletor showed up. I don't know how it would help him stop Heman or take control of Eternia, but he hatched a plan to steal everyone's wedgecades and sell them on ebay. That evil, skull faced jerk. I am sure this next part was inspired by that foo fighters music video where Dave's hand gets huge and he slaps people...I had watched it before going to sleep. Well, I ended up getting into a face-slapping contest with Skeletor, which now thinking about it, he had an obvious advantage since he has no nerve endings on his face. No matter what, that is the point which I woke up, so I don't know who would have won.

My mind was no longer on Skeletor, but on this so called "wedgecade", which is a dumb name, but accurate enough that it is what I am still calling it. It wasn't the design that made me pay attention, it is the fact it was a super simple design on 1 sheet of plywood. Sure, you could make a mini cab on a 4X8, but the sheet isn't really relative to the cabinet size in that case. I had actually remembered pretty well what the cabinet looked like from my dream, and when I woke up I transferred it to paper. Within 5 minutes I had it all down on paper... at least a proof of concept.

I employed the best of my MS paint skills to render this replica of my design.

Now, I prefer classic looking machines, not so much the modern hibbity-jibbity that all the young hoodlums with their hula-hoops and rock-and-roll are dabbling in, and a doorstop shaped arcade cabinet is about as bad as an middle school art class ash try...Still, Being that I felt this was almost a "Field of Dreams" moment for me, I just had to build it. As a side note, my wife never saw Field of Dreams and when I was trying to explain why I had to built it, she didn't know I was movie referencing and thought for a minute I was going batty wanting to build an arcade machine for James Earl Jones and a bunch ghosts to play on. She is right that I am crazy, but for different reasons.

Nonetheless, I had to make a few aesthetic touches for me to swallow the design. I decided to round off the bottom and lop off a few inched from the top as well. The coupe de gras that made me like the design was a the trade make "Gauntlet jut" on the back of the machine. I love me some Gauntlet jut. I also decided to make a half size mini-cabinet instead of a full size because 1) I had a sheet of 2X4 plywood (1/2 inch thick), and not a 4X8, and 2) I was thinking of making an arcade machine for my son, and my next machine is gonna have a lot more bells/whistles. I am sure this would translate well to a full size cab on a 4X8 though.

Off I went to start my project. Here is my progress from Saturday and Sunday:

On 2X4 1/2 thick plywood, I Draw a line down the middle lengthwise.

On one of the halves, draw a line corner to between corners to make two Triangles. Cut out both triangles.

Clamp the triangles together. You may flush them out with a router if they are slightly different in size. Now round off the bottom front and top corners.

Now Cut out some of that Gauntlet jut. I made mine 2 inches, and it is good that I did, because I needed that scrap wood for later in the project. Mmmmm, sexy Gauntlet jut.

On the untouched half of the plywood, cut it into 3 sections, each one is 16 inches. One of those panels is the control panel, so you can trim 2 inches off like shown in the diagram. That wood is needed for later.

When I said, only one sheet of plywood, I didn't quite say that I employed some help from some square and flat wood doweling I had lying around from unfinished projects of yesteryear. These I used for furring, crossbars and other misc doodats. I also used a old 16" section of a 1x4 board as the bottom of the cabinet.

OK, now it is time to start fitting the parts together. I put some brackets down, some firring, since I am bracket-aholic, but I still am clamping. I started priming my pieces. That's why some are black. Those two plywood rectangles, they are on the front. To keep the design simple, I just overlapped them like shingles. Easy and effective. Remember that spare 2 inches of wood from the Control Panel piece and the Gauntlet jut? Those went to make the arms that hold the control panel in place.

Because I am keeping measuring at a minimum, in the photo I am lining up and marking where to cut the arm pieces. Each arm is made of two pieces of wood. One to go on the outside of the cab, and the other to bring it back flush with the inside of the cabinet since my control panel is only 16" wide.

For the top of the cab, I just screwed a flat dowel to a square dowel, then shoved some clips on it for the marquee. I could do the same with the bar for the bottom of the marquee, but I was running out of doweling, so I just am using a piece of cap moulding.

I have assembled the control panel. I put a piece of flat dowel in front to hide any controls that would stick out from underneath, I then puttied in the gap. I also nailed in a couple of small square dowels on the top to hold the bezel in place.

Now I bolted drilled and fit everything together. drilled some control panel holes, and cut a piece of art board to size for a bezel, and tested the feel. I think it is going to look great!

That's my progress so far. I was going to start painting, but I bought a dud can of spray paint. Not bad progress for two days of work.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 10:57:58 am by Vigo »

kalars123

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 09, 2019, 12:31:51 pm
Re: Wedgecade, a super easy mini cab on 1 sheet of 2X4 plywood
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2012, 06:49:21 pm »
That's really impressive almost has a candy cab look to it, looking forward to your progress.

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 04, 2015, 10:19:10 pm
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2012, 07:17:32 pm »
As I slept on Friday night, snoozing away, I had a revelation come to me in a dream. I dreamt that I was in a strolling in some sort of castle/apartment complex when I happened to see a guy with a crappy crooked arcade machine. Upset that he didn't have the time or money or skills to make something, he was about ready to give up.

how did you get in my dream?

great design. really does remind me  of a candy or vewlix cab. Now i want one!

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:58:57 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2012, 08:14:24 pm »
You should totally hire the same guys who did your neighbor's house to paint your cab.
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

AGarv

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 22, 2016, 07:29:18 pm
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2012, 08:28:07 pm »
Hmm... Skeletor... Arcade machine...  That could perhaps turn into the most awesome purple/blue/black theme ever conceived!

Vigo

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2012, 08:49:50 pm »
@Kalars123 @ 404: Thanks! I when I imagined the thing up, I didn't think it would look at all like a candy or viewlix in style, but it is awesome it turned out that way. I'm also thankful it doesn't look like a giant doorstop.

You should totally hire the same guys who did your neighbor's house to paint your cab.

Haha, those guy's already "painted" my motorcycle. I think they have done enough work for me. grumble grumble.

Hmm... Skeletor... Arcade machine...  That could perhaps turn into the most awesome purple/blue/black theme ever conceived!

I have already considered a Skeletor motif considering he was weirdly involved in my inspiration. My wife wants me to keep it more generic because it is going to my 1 year old son (am I starting him too early?  :P) Right now the decision was to make it cherry red with black stripes; a sports car design. Since I am returning a can of the paint, maybe I can see about a last minute paint scheme change.  ;)

DaveMMR

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 29, 2024, 11:49:01 am
    • TeeVee Games
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2012, 09:00:54 pm »
I started reading this thread thinking it was going to be some awfully ugly cab made of triangles and scrap wood but by the end it really has come together as a fairly attractive cab. (Yeah the rounding off of the corners is pretty much mandatory for those looks.)  Pretty darn cool - I likes it.

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 08:00:17 pm
  • <insert personal text here>
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2012, 09:04:03 pm »
Vigo designs mutha----smurfing--- cabs in his sleep people.  What the hell have you done in your sleep that is this bad ass?  Thread of the year.  Everybody take 5 because Vigo just blew the internet's mind.  Good work man.   :applaud:  

>:D :o >:D :o >:D >:D >:D :o >:D >:D >:D :o >:D >:D >:D :o
>:D :o >:D :o :o >:D :o :o >:D :o :o :o >:D :o >:D :o
>:D :o >:D :o :o >:D :o :o >:D :o >:D :o >:D :o >:D :o
:o >:D :o :o >:D >:D >:D :o >:D >:D >:D :o >:D >:D >:D :o
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 10:24:58 pm by Le Chuck »

TopJimmyCooks

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 01:18:39 pm
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2012, 09:37:15 pm »
Using a chalk board instead of a display for a cab going to a one YO's room.  Genius.  My mind is actually blown. 

Louis Tully

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 13, 2015, 09:41:03 pm
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2012, 09:37:41 pm »
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 05:34:59 am by Louis Tully »

racecar

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 29, 2012, 01:36:27 am
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2012, 11:21:14 pm »
HAHA love the look an story

Hi-TEK

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 10, 2012, 05:11:58 pm
  • Video Game Addict
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2012, 11:30:40 pm »

how did you get in my dream?

great design. really does remind me  of a candy or vewlix cab. Now i want one!

This was the very same thing that came to my mind regarding the Vewlix or Kraylix cabinet design when I saw the same image. Pretty sweet considering the small profile on this build.
"Don't just stand there! Shoot something!" - Duke Nukem
The Invader Bartop - http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=116345.0

Vigo

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2012, 12:06:17 am »
Thanks to all! I am flattered this little guy is already getting compared to candy & vewlix cabs. At this rate, I might have to make a fullsize model.  :cheers:

Vigo designs mutha----smurfing--- cabs in his sleep people.  What the hell have you done in your sleep that is this bad ass?  Thread of the year.  Everybody take 5 because Vigo just blew the internet's mind.  Good work man.   :applaud:  

>:D :o >:D :o >:D >:D >:D :o >:D >:D >:D :o >:D >:D >:D :o
>:D :o >:D :o :o >:D :o :o >:D :o :o :o >:D :o >:D :o
>:D :o >:D :o :o >:D :o :o >:D :o >:D :o >:D :o >:D :o
:o >:D :o :o >:D >:D >:D :o >:D >:D >:D :o >:D >:D >:D :o

Haha, thanks for the words and the awesome smiley art!!  :cheers: You know they say when you are involved in a hobby like this for so long, it invades a lot of your time, including your sleep. I'm just glad my subconscience for once decided to get off it's lazy ass, stop filling my dreams with recycled crap from tv of the night before, and did something productive for once.

Using a chalk board instead of a display for a cab going to a one YO's room.  Genius.  My mind is actually blown. 

Unfortunately, that is only art project grade cardboard, I'll be cutting it still for the screen. An arcade machine chalk board is insanely clever now that you mention it.  :o

I started reading this thread thinking it was going to be some awfully ugly cab made of triangles and scrap wood but by the end it really has come together as a fairly attractive cab. (Yeah the rounding off of the corners is pretty much mandatory for those looks.)  Pretty darn cool - I likes it.

Haha, I know what you mean. I went into this project feeling a bit guilty. I had flashbacks to my days in cub scouts doing the pinewood derby. I had spent a solid week with my dad working on my car. It was awesome looking: tail fins, defined fenders, and all sanded down to 220 grit and painted with metal fleck automotive enamel...it looked amazing. It raced like a dream. It was then I first faced the infamous pinewood derby wedge car. A design for both the lazy and most competitive. Not even a decal of effort, and it was beating me down the track. sigh...

Not at all man. My kid is 1 year old and he's got a cab. It'll be a while before he understands games but until then, I get a kick out of seeing him walk by and press buttons.

Good work and back story. Looks like a fun project. Any ideas on an encoder for this? I bet you're just gonna hack some crummy old keyboard, eh?  :P

That's what I am thinking....maybe just put a few very colorful kids games on it for now. Let him mash some buttons whether it is on or not.

I think you hit the biggest perk of selling encoders. A little snag from my inventory, and I am good to go.  8)

wol-nz

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 25, 2020, 02:42:44 am
  • Arcade!? - Never! - Really? - Yup!
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2012, 12:27:23 am »
great read and design - entertaining  :laugh:
My art is always free for you to download and modify as you see fit...
Why?... because I could never find any art I loved on the net. So I played around with Photoshop and wish to share it with the arcade community.

emphatic

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 05:12:09 pm
  • -"Suck it, Donny!" -"No, YOU suck it.... more".
    • Emphatic's Video Game Collection
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2012, 04:56:39 am »
I love it!  :applaud:

Generic Eric

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 05, 2024, 09:02:23 am
  • Restore! Don't maim for MAME, build from scratch!
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,143226.0.html
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2012, 02:19:02 pm »
Great.
Menards has precut 2' x 4' sheets of mdf for about $8.00 (if I remember correctly)  Fits well in the back seat of a gran prix.

Nephasth

« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2012, 02:55:34 pm »
Isn't this thing done yet? ---steaming pile of meadow muffin---, you've been working on it in your sleep! ;)

That's one lucky son you've got there! :applaud:

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2012, 03:38:31 pm »
Since i'm basically stuck at work, i'm going to make a quick sketch of the board. I'll put it up when i'm done.

Vigo

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2012, 03:54:03 pm »
Thanks again everybody!  :cheers:

Since i'm basically stuck at work, i'm going to make a quick sketch of the board. I'll put it up when i'm done.

Awesome! Please do!  :)

Great.
Menards has precut 2' x 4' sheets of mdf for about $8.00 (if I remember correctly)  Fits well in the back seat of a gran prix.
That's not bad, I think it was about the same for the 2x4 plywood I bought from Menards. Had I known when I bought the wood that it was going to be an arcade cabinet, I might have went with MDF.

• Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2012, 04:56:01 pm »

Awesome! Please do!  :)

Happen to know the dimensions for the jut you cut out at each side?

Also, i started the draft using a 4x8 piece of wood in mind to make a full sized cab. Before i started actually drawing out the cab i thought that i would simply double up the measurements. Physically drawing this out proves that this would be greatly disproportionate for the average human to play. While a 32inch control panel is feasible,the vewlix by default also uses a large, wide screen monitor however a cabinet with an 8 foot height from tip to tip is not.

If you had actually envisioned this using a 4x8 piece of wood, what dimensions would you use?

Vigo

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2012, 05:35:31 pm »
I can get you the full dimensions on the jut tonight, I don't fully remember because I went with my gut on the overall length. I did start the 45 degree cut at 2 inches up from the base, and it goes 2 inches inward. I will measure the length tonight when I get home from work.

As far as dimensions on a fullsize cabinet, I had thought about the daunting 8 foot height it would be. I almost immediately had the 2x4 sheet in mind, so I didn't think over that part too much though. When I trimmed the top, I did lop off about 3-4 inches, so that would double on a full size cab. Maybe if 2 feet are taken off the entire sheet of wood before anything else is cut, it might help the overall proportions. with a 4X6 sheet, the control panel width would be 24" and the height would be about 5 and a half feet after getting rounded off. I can't visualize how that would change the look aesthetically, but it seems like much more normal proportions, plus extra wood for the cabinet.

Vigo

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2012, 08:51:32 pm »
OK, I just checked the length of the jut. Total length is 20", 16" on the inside. 2 inches depth.

• Offline Offline
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2012, 02:57:57 pm »
alright, here goes. made this quickly as just a simple diagram to show the basic cuts. this is NOT to proper scale, you cannot enlarge the image to a 1:1 size and expect to use this as a template. It will not work. simply go by the dimensions posted in the image and you should be fine. The image does not contain any curves. If you want curves, simply any one of your favorite curving tools (coin, cup, crack pipe etc) once you have your first cuts. There may be some inconsistencies, I'm hoping someone will point them out. I'm tired and hungry so expect this to be revision1. This is for the 2'x4' model only. Still trying to visualize a full sized, two person version although i believe it can easily be done.

The project name is simply a joke. The wedgecade is what Vigo calls it. Not sure how Vigo feels about the project but you can feel free to modify the image attached any way you want.

Nephasth

« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2012, 03:01:38 pm »
Vigolix... That's got a ring to it...

extendedplayarcade

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 16, 2018, 11:14:26 pm
  • The Games You Crave
    • Extended Play Arcade
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2012, 03:10:28 pm »
Great job!   I can't wait to see how it comes out.  Great progress.   :cheers:

Vigo

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
Wow, I love the name too! I am officially changing the design title to Vigolix.  :cheers:

404, Awesome work with the diagram. It looks great! As far as I can tell, that is exactly how I cut mine.  :applaud:

Not sure how Vigo feels about the project but you can feel free to modify the image attached any way you want.

I am also fine with anyone using the design and running with it however they want. 

Ond

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 18, 2024, 11:41:19 pm
'Vigolix'  :lol ahhh gotta love it.  That's it I'm quitting my project, Vigolix roolz!

• Offline Offline
thanks everyone. first thing i thought of when i saw the design was, it looked quite a bit like a vewlix cab, Vigo + Vewlix. As for a full sized cab, I have obtained the side profile dimensions of the standard vewlix machine. It measures 56" high which sounds more of less appropriate for a standard sit-down cabinet of its kind. Will work on that a little more later on.

As for a machine of this size, i would still sport a mini cab like this. It's small, somewhat portable and most importantly, a beginner woodworker can build this. A project like this would appeal greatly fans of modern japanese fighting games. I think a model just large enough to fit a mid-sized widescreen monitor (19-24") could have some wide appeal. Hell, with just a few, very small design changes, you can create something with a similar profile as sega naomi cabinets while still keeping with the simple build using a single board.

I'm still on the ropes on whether i should give this project a try or not. I am really dead-set on getting a bartop mainly because i have such little space in the house to put a full sized machine.

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
I'm trying to think up a snappy title for my upcoming vigolix cabinet.  Vigolix... vigolix... vigolix....

I've got it!!

Introducing my newest cabinet Vigolix Myballs

:laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2:

emphatic

• Offline Offline
Liking the new name!  :cheers:

Vigo

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
To everyone here:

To Le Chuck:

Despite Le Chuck's comment, I still like the new name.  :cheers:

Woodshop Flunky

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 20, 2017, 05:24:57 am
I think you've dreamed up a really great little design!  :cheers:

I modeled it (cause I like 3D) and the CP is about the same height as my son's mini arcade... so this should be a very playable machine!  :applaud:

Complete mini arcade cabinet plans available.

elkameleon

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 20, 2014, 08:31:00 pm
I'm trying to think up a snappy title for my upcoming vigolix cabinet.  Vigolix... vigolix... vigolix....

I've got it!!

Introducing my newest cabinet Vigolix Myballs

:laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2:

BEAT ME TO IT!

• Offline Offline
I think we may have opened up the nasty joke floodgates with this name.  :laugh2:

I think you've dreamed up a really great little design!  :cheers:

I modeled it (cause I like 3D) and the CP is about the same height as my son's mini arcade... so this should be a very playable machine!  :applaud:

That's awesome! What's it made in? sketchup?

Woodshop Flunky

• Offline Offline

... sketchup?

Yep, Sketchup... great tool for putting stuff together fast.

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 07:31:21 pm
Man, that's a pretty clean and nice looking design.

What sized screen are you going to put in there?
whoa, pbj just gave a compliment. Mark your calenders folks, you saw it here!
;)

I really like the size and design as well. A dedicated vertical cabinet would also work great with this design. hmmm...

Boy this one came out of left-field. I wish I could get this much progress done on my projects in one weekend...
Nice job Vigo! Lookin' good

:applaud:

• Offline Offline

That's awesome, willing to post up the sketchup file?

15 inch judging by the plans.

whoa, pbj just gave a compliment. Mark your calenders folks, you saw it here!
;)

I really like the size and design as well. A dedicated vertical cabinet would also work great with this design. hmmm...

Boy this one came out of left-field. I wish I could get this much progress done on my projects in one weekend...

Looks like this project has the pbj seal of approval!

Vigo

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
I think you've dreamed up a really great little design!  :cheers:

I modeled it (cause I like 3D) and the CP is about the same height as my son's mini arcade... so this should be a very playable machine!  :applaud:

Wow! Woodshop, that is an awesome model! Thanks! Thanks for the warm remarks as well, that means a lot from the mastermind behind one the best custom Mini Cabs I have ever seen.

Thanks, Jim! I know where you rank some other minimalist designs, so it looks like I did good.  :cheers: Like 404 guessed, 15 inch. I have both a 15 inch monitor and a 15 inch laptop to work with. I'll start with the laptop, but I know how they are usually more trouble than it is worth.

Thanks, Opt! Trust me, most my projects take much longer than this is taking. For me, this whole "ambition" thing is usually coupled with procrastination and impending deadlines. I kinda wish my job wasn't so busy lately, otherwise I would be getting some weekday work in as well. All I have managed to get done is to clean out some old happ buttons.

kalars123

• Offline Offline
Vigo i was planning on building 2 bar-tops a horiz/virt.  Your design just has my immagination running i'm gonna use your design and go crazy with it.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
Thanks, Jim! I know where you rank some other minimalist designs, so it looks like I did good.  

So long as we don't see 200 of these with awful European modernist color schemes and themed after random console games I'm good with it.

I'm glad you changed the name from Wedgecade to Vigolix. ______cade is starting to get a bit boring.

Vigo

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
Vigo i was planning on building 2 bar-tops a horiz/virt.  Your design just has my immagination running i'm gonna use your design and go crazy with it.

Awesome! Definitely go crazy with it! I can wait to see what you come up with.

Thanks, Jim! I know where you rank some other minimalist designs, so it looks like I did good. 

So long as we don't see 200 of these with awful European modernist color schemes and themed after random console games I'm good with it.

I'm glad you changed the name from Wedgecade to Vigolix. ______cade is starting to get a bit boring.

I agree with that 1000%. I was just waiting for a better name to come along. Thankfully one did.

Now excuse me while I get some teal and ocher paint and some sonic the hedgehog decals.  :P

Woodshop Flunky

• Offline Offline
Re: Vigolix, a super easy mini cab on 1 sheet of 2X4 plywood
« Reply #41 on: April 19, 2012, 11:08:22 am »

Wow! Woodshop, that is an awesome model! Thanks!

When I showed my wife the Sketchup model last night, she got a little nervous.  After I told her your story behind it, she asked why I built up a model.  I told her it just had great lines that needed to be shown off!  She was afraid I was about to start building the thing. :)

• Offline Offline

I agree with that 1000%. I was just waiting for a better name to come along. Thankfully one did.

Now excuse me while I get some teal and ocher paint and some sonic the hedgehog decals.  :P

Teal? When i first saw the cab below, i almost puked. The more i saw it however, i thought the color scheme was pretty cool. Quite daring to say the least.

Unstupid

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 08, 2021, 08:46:34 am
« Reply #43 on: April 19, 2012, 07:12:55 pm »
Teal and white, teal and black, teal and yellow are ok
teal and purple... not ok!

kahlid74

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 01, 2021, 12:42:56 pm
  • Gaming for a better future!
    • GamersAnon
« Reply #44 on: April 19, 2012, 09:38:22 pm »
Looks great and great design.  Very resourceful.  I wish I was that resourceful with my wood.

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #45 on: April 20, 2012, 12:22:34 am »
Looks great and great design.  Very resourceful.  I wish I was that resourceful with my wood.

I've used mine as a towel hook, a hat rack, a stamp, a present (cut a hole in a box), a pretend wrist watch, a pretend helicopter rotor, a fire extinguisher, a pen to write my name, an aid to help me sleep, and a gap hammer. I think I'm fairly resourceful with mine.

jammin0

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 13, 2023, 08:15:17 pm
« Reply #46 on: April 20, 2012, 04:37:30 pm »

I've used mine as a towel hook, a hat rack, a stamp, a present (cut a hole in a box), a pretend wrist watch, a pretend helicopter rotor, a fire extinguisher, a pen to write my name, an aid to help me sleep, and a gap hammer. I think I'm fairly resourceful with mine.

What is going on? ??? :cry:

• Offline Offline
« Reply #47 on: April 21, 2012, 11:26:58 am »
looks like someone beat us to a new net city/naomi mini cab

« Last Edit: April 21, 2012, 11:35:28 am by 404 »

Louis Tully

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 13, 2015, 09:41:03 pm
« Reply #48 on: April 21, 2012, 11:59:11 am »
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 05:41:38 am by Louis Tully »

kalars123

• Offline Offline
« Reply #49 on: April 21, 2012, 12:49:51 pm »
looks like someone beat us to a new net city/naomi mini cab

That's cool looking I guess, but I don't know Vigo's design just speaks to me in away that really gets my imagination running hopefully I can start building in the next few days.

elkameleon

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 20, 2014, 08:31:00 pm
« Reply #50 on: April 22, 2012, 11:00:27 am »
Sometimes, in the heat of the moment, it's okay to go teal to purple.

Haha, awesome Clerks 2 FTW!

Vigo

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #51 on: April 23, 2012, 01:06:10 pm »
Just an update, I have been painting the Vigolix. Red with black stripes. Pics to come later. Everything is painted except for some final work that needs to be done on the control panel --- I need to finish the stripes and seal it off. Even though I used enamel, I still want to coat it in polyurethane to keep it nice and shiny in since it is the high traffic area of the cab.

• Offline Offline
« Reply #52 on: April 23, 2012, 05:56:06 pm »
Just an update, I have been painting the Vigolix. Red with black stripes. Pics to come later. Everything is painted except for some final work that needs to be done on the control panel --- I need to finish the stripes and seal it off. Even though I used enamel, I still want to coat it in polyurethane to keep it nice and shiny in since it is the high traffic area of the cab.

I'm very interested in seeing the finished product.

I actually starting laying out some basic plans for one that would mimic the original vewlix as much as possible including 2p controls and 32" tv/monitor. I ran into a snag with the tv as the triangular shape prevents the monitor from mounting in holes placed in the side of the cab much like the original vewlix. I may just put up what i have a little later on today, maybe an extra set of eyes on the plans can sort this out.

Nephasth

« Reply #53 on: April 23, 2012, 07:57:14 pm »
You can't do an update without :pics

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #54 on: April 23, 2012, 08:14:58 pm »
You can't do an update without :pics

:stupid  don't be a cocktease vigo... show us a lil' sumthin' sumthin'

Vigo

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #55 on: April 23, 2012, 08:42:42 pm »
OK, you can coax 1 blurry picture out of me, next time take me out to dinner first.

and before anyone asks, No. those wheels are not going on the cabinet.  ;)

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #56 on: April 23, 2012, 09:01:02 pm »
^ This ranks up there with underboob pics.  I love me some underboob.   :applaud:

• Offline Offline
« Reply #57 on: April 23, 2012, 09:15:30 pm »
OK, you can coax 1 blurry picture out of me, next time take me out to dinner first.

and before anyone asks, No. those wheels are not going on the cabinet.  ;)

that looks freaking awesome. So when are you going to pack it up and ship it to me?  ;D

maybe you can put this somewhere, for the lawlz

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #58 on: April 23, 2012, 09:20:41 pm »
That looks great, but underboob ALWAYS wins...

Santoro

• Purveyor of Shiny Arcade Goodness
  • Santoro
  • Trade Count: (+32)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 23, 2023, 07:05:04 pm
  • Boycott Quarters!!!
    • ArcadeReplay!
« Reply #59 on: April 23, 2012, 09:51:18 pm »
Looking good, love the original design.  Can't wait to see it done!

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 07:31:21 pm
« Reply #60 on: April 23, 2012, 10:51:10 pm »
Nice choice for the paint job. I dig the line work. It's going to look slick!
404's vigolix logo looks pretty cool too. Since its a single colour, you could stencil it. That shouldn't be too difficult, and it's cost effective.
Just print it out, cut out the logo, the apply stencil adhesive (can be found at art supply stores)  to the back. Apply and you're set to paint!

And +1 for the underboobs. :lol

emphatic

• Offline Offline
« Reply #61 on: April 24, 2012, 03:27:28 am »
Very nice paint job!  :applaud:

Woodshop Flunky

• Offline Offline
« Reply #62 on: April 24, 2012, 11:19:35 am »
Loving it more now... nice work!  :applaud:

DrChek

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 20, 2024, 10:41:01 pm
« Reply #63 on: April 24, 2012, 11:25:01 pm »
This is great!

I'm seriously considering building this classic verticals version for my office...

kahlid74

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 01, 2021, 12:42:56 pm
  • Gaming for a better future!
    • GamersAnon
« Reply #64 on: April 25, 2012, 09:01:41 am »
Vigo, how did you account for the width of the blade cutting the wood from the size of the pieces?  Did you clamp them and then route them to be the same size?

Vigo

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #65 on: April 25, 2012, 10:47:17 am »
@ Le Chuck, 404, yotsuya, emphatic, Woodshop Flunky, Santoro & opt2not. Thanks so much! It is really amazing all the fun designs you can make with some painters tape and a couple different colors. My wife was pushing for race car since it is for my son, but I wanted a little bit of a throwback to some of the old line designs that you would find on cabs. For candy cab fans, you might notice it is a little bit of a throwback to something like the Aero City striping. I think I found a good balance between 80's Ferrari and classic arcade cab. :cheers: 

As for that awesome logo that 404 made, it is just too cool to not put up. I think I have some white paint on hand as well, I might put it on the top crossbar of the cabinet as long as it doesn't look smashed in there.

Vigo, how did you account for the width of the blade cutting the wood from the size of the pieces?  Did you clamp them and then route them to be the same size?

You got it! Between that, and probably slight mis-measurement of mine, the two pieces were about 1/8th inch different in size. I lined up the two sheets so that most of the wood I would cut away would be on the bottom, but left a little lip on the front side so that I could smooth out the edges a little more when flushing them with a router. I am guessing if I didn't have a router, I could do it by being careful and sanding that extra amount off, but it was so darn easy to just zip it even with the router.

This is great!

I'm seriously considering building this classic verticals version for my office...

Thanks, DrChek! Awesome render! Although I haven't played anything on the cab yet, it seems to be the perfect sit down size. So much so that I am thinking of building a second one for a small racing cab.

jmike

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 26, 2023, 05:14:03 am
« Reply #66 on: April 25, 2012, 12:15:11 pm »
Need more pics    ;D

Great progress, can't wait to see what's next.

:cheers:

SNAAKE

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 11, 2024, 12:21:50 pm
  • my joystick is bigger than your joystick !
« Reply #67 on: April 26, 2012, 06:34:11 pm »
nice vigo....lix

crashwg

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 24, 2019, 11:01:05 am
« Reply #68 on: April 29, 2012, 10:33:35 pm »

I second this request.
If there's bees in the trap I'm catching em
By the thorax and abdomen
And sanding the stingers down to a rough quill
Then I dip em in ink, and I scribble a bit
But if it they wriggle then I tickle em until they hold still
Lemme say it again
In my land of pretend
I use bees as a mf'n pen

dextercf

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 10, 2022, 05:26:18 pm
  • [thisispersonal]
« Reply #69 on: May 05, 2012, 01:56:51 am »
hmm.. i don't know about this one, gotta stick around to see how it turns out.  :-\

Vigo

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #70 on: May 08, 2012, 10:55:35 am »
I figure I better post something so that people don't think I am just sitting on my hands here. Vigolix is fully assembled, I have a few things left to do, but am 90% done. Unfortunately, I sold my last ZD Arcade Encoder on hand, and need to wait for my next shipment to arrive before I hook up the controls. I will wait until the product is finished before posting the final pictures.

FYI - Laptop rigs are a PITA.  :P

I do have an update I can share pictures on. I have been working on artwork and machine title. (Vigolix is the design name, I am still having a separate name on the Marquee.)

Since this machine is going to my 1 y.o., My wife and I wanted to keep a general race car marquee, and replace it once he becomes older and has developed an interest in something that can be themed with the cabinet. I know it isn't a racing cabinet, but my son's biggest interest right now is cars in general, and it is in tune with the paint scheme. Wanting make something for my kid, I put together this Marquee:

Showed it to the wife, she HATED it.  :laugh2: I guess it isn't good enough for a 1 year old. I just couldn't help but laugh. She made a valid point though. My kid isn't gonna care what is on there at this point. So we might as well have something a little cooler for the parents in there for the time being. I was going to make something in illustrator, but time hasn't been on my side. So, I grabbed some more modern video game artwork and came up with this.

I am open to suggestions on this. I printed out a draft copy, and it doesn't look bad. There is always room for improvement though.

upprc04

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 24, 2021, 01:25:59 am
« Reply #71 on: May 08, 2012, 03:20:52 pm »
How is the weight distribution of the cabinet?  Would it be easy to move it while playing or would it take someone really getting in to the game to tilt it?

Seith

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 08, 2018, 10:50:41 am
« Reply #72 on: May 08, 2012, 03:55:05 pm »
I figure I better post something so that people don't think I am just sitting on my hands here. Vigolix is fully assembled, I have a few things left to do, but am 90% done. Unfortunately, I sold my last ZD Arcade Encoder on hand, and need to wait for my next shipment to arrive before I hook up the controls. I will wait until the product is finished before posting the final pictures.

FYI - Laptop rigs are a PITA.  :P

I do have an update I can share pictures on. I have been working on artwork and machine title. (Vigolix is the design name, I am still having a separate name on the Marquee.)

Since this machine is going to my 1 y.o., My wife and I wanted to keep a general race car marquee, and replace it once he becomes older and has developed an interest in something that can be themed with the cabinet. I know it isn't a racing cabinet, but my son's biggest interest right now is cars in general, and it is in tune with the paint scheme. Wanting make something for my kid, I put together this Marquee:

Showed it to the wife, she HATED it.  :laugh2: I guess it isn't good enough for a 1 year old. I just couldn't help but laugh. She made a valid point though. My kid isn't gonna care what is on there at this point. So we might as well have something a little cooler for the parents in there for the time being. I was going to make something in illustrator, but time hasn't been on my side. So, I grabbed some more modern video game artwork and came up with this.

I am open to suggestions on this. I printed out a draft copy, and it doesn't look bad. There is always room for improvement though.

It's not often this happens on these boards, but I am sure most of us would agree with your wife.

PIZZ

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 14, 2013, 10:24:17 am
« Reply #73 on: May 08, 2012, 04:08:01 pm »
Cool design... reminds me of some 90's game console kiosk they would to have in toy stores.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 04:13:39 pm by PIZZ »

Santoro

• Santoro
  • Offline Offline
  • Boycott Quarters!!!
    • ArcadeReplay!
« Reply #74 on: May 12, 2012, 09:43:18 am »

... sketchup?

How are you getting that 'hand sketched' look? It's not jumping out at me in the menus if it's part of the base package.

TopJimmyCooks

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 01:18:39 pm
« Reply #75 on: May 12, 2012, 11:27:04 am »
open the styles window. 

easy way:  select a premade style you like
More control:  hit edit tab, select cube icon for edges, use bottom of the window drop box to select "sketchy edges" and pick one of the tiles below. 

Woodshop Flunky

• Offline Offline
« Reply #76 on: May 12, 2012, 12:55:36 pm »
Select "Windows" from main menu and then select Styles, then in the styles window, select sketchy from the drop down... lots to choose from.

Santoro

• Santoro
  • Offline Offline
  • Boycott Quarters!!!
    • ArcadeReplay!
« Reply #77 on: May 12, 2012, 01:50:45 pm »
Awesome.. thanks guys.

CREDO

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 22, 2017, 08:17:25 am
  • its never finished
« Reply #78 on: May 13, 2012, 06:08:45 pm »
At first glance at the design, i thought "thats genius".

Second glance "i want one too"

third glance "better yet, it will be next years birthday gift for a freind of mine"

I expect to see this design copied alot. gratz.

JohnEDollar

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 29, 2015, 06:36:55 pm
  • Keep it Smooth...
« Reply #79 on: May 17, 2012, 06:12:13 pm »

I second this request.

I third this request!   :cheers:

(Great design!)

Woodshop Flunky

• Offline Offline
« Reply #80 on: May 17, 2012, 08:02:34 pm »

I second this request.

I third this request!   :cheers:

(Great design!)

Well, I decided I'd go ahead an upload it... and... it's GONE!

I never lose files, but this one is all kinds of gone.  I searched both my computers, and I can't find a trace of it.

Sorry guys!  :-[

DrChek

• Offline Offline
« Reply #81 on: May 18, 2012, 08:21:33 am »
Here's the SketchUp file for the version I built.

There are a few modifications to the build that I made. The details are in this thread.

Woodshop Flunky

• Offline Offline
« Reply #82 on: May 18, 2012, 10:04:12 am »
Good going DrChek... looks nice. :)

Well, I decided I'd go ahead an upload it... and... it's GONE!

I never lose files, but this one is all kinds of gone.  I searched both my computers, and I can't find a trace of it.

Sorry guys!  :-[

Whoops!  I found it on my computer at work.  Must have done it at work during my... lunch break...  ::)

Anyhow, here's the file...

Knievel

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 10, 2016, 10:29:09 pm
  • Who's up for a game of Stunt Cycle??
    • Knievel Kustoms
« Reply #83 on: May 18, 2012, 10:29:06 am »
Nice idea. This size cabinet should appeal to a lot of people.  :cheers:

Santoro

• Santoro
  • Offline Offline
  • Boycott Quarters!!!
    • ArcadeReplay!
« Reply #84 on: May 18, 2012, 11:05:58 am »
How stable is that?  Is it tipsy on carpet?

DrChek

• Offline Offline
« Reply #85 on: May 18, 2012, 12:17:17 pm »
How stable is that?  Is it tipsy on carpet?

When I play it the thing stays put pretty well. My son, on the other hand, is a bit more exuberant with his joystick work so it can rock back and forth a bit. One of the changes I made to Vigo's original design is adding two pieces of 2x4 to the "floor" to give it some bottom weight to counter the monitor. I also have the small CPU case sitting in there on top of the 2x4s.

As long as you don't yank on the stick like a maniac it stays put pretty well. Makes a great sit down machine for adults.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 12:20:11 pm by DrChek »

dextercf

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 10, 2022, 05:26:18 pm
  • [thisispersonal]
« Reply #86 on: May 19, 2012, 06:37:53 am »
This one right here, this is gonna get clones all over the globe!
Great work dude!

JohnEDollar

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 29, 2015, 06:36:55 pm
  • Keep it Smooth...
« Reply #87 on: May 19, 2012, 06:59:22 pm »
DrChek, Woodshop Flunky:

Thanks for posting your Sketchup files, guys!   :cheers:

(This will be the perfect project to build for my 6 year old "button masher"!)

Cheers.

- John
« Last Edit: May 19, 2012, 07:17:35 pm by JohnEDollar »

Vigo

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #88 on: May 22, 2012, 01:26:36 am »
Update time!

Since I finally received my new shipment of encoders, I finally had a chance to finish the controls:

and soon after, I finished the whole thing:

....and my kid can't keep away.  :lol

So it is not 100% done yet, but it is pretty much officially built. I still need to get a vinyl marquee instead of a paper printout, work on setting up Mame, Mala and a couple other emulators up on it.

Some post-build thoughts....

• My Kid loves it, it is kid sized. That doesn't mean it isn't good for adult use as a sit down.  ;) My kid also loves to touch the screen. He is 1, what can I say? I will probably be replacing the artboard bezel with a sheet of plexi that is painted around the border.

• My wife was very happy by the slim profile of this cabinet. Just a heads up for all you out there with an itch to build something, and a living space issue.

• Yep, I made this cabinet top heavy. I kinda knew I was in the beginning. I could practically cut the bottom of the cabinet off and make it a bartop. (That might be a cool project there.) It still is stable enough that as long as I don't crank on the controls, it stays in place. I also added feet on the bottom, and that added a lot more stability. I really let my kid crank on the machine, and it he couldn't do anything to it as long as it was up against the wall. Oh well, I could have gone with a desktop PC mounted on the bottom board and not been top-heavy to begin with.

• I was going to add pinball buttons on the side, but forgot. haha. Oh well, not really needed. it's an option for future builds though.

• Working with Laptop's suck, but it is doable. You have to detach the body from the screen, yet keep it very close because there is very little slack on the wires. Also, I am amazed I successfully soldered a wire for the power button from the laptop. Could have been really messy... Oh well, I kept my project within very small budget since I had an old laptop laying around.

• This is one of the coolest projects I have done in my life. Thank you all who helped my put this project from a crazy dream in my head, to a pretty darn cool cabinet design. 404, Woodshop Flunky and DrChek, many special thanks to you for your efforts into the cabinet design. It looks like there is a great path forming for future builds of this cabinet. I would finally like to thank the Eternia's Master of Evil, Skeletor. If not for his disdain for this Wedge-shaped cabinet, I would never have designed the Vigolix after that most bizarre dream.

• There might be another Vigo-built Vigolix on the way.....

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #89 on: May 22, 2012, 01:36:13 am »
Looks great!!!! I'm impressed you came up with the design yourself!

dfmaverick

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 03, 2016, 11:17:27 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #90 on: May 22, 2012, 01:58:35 am »
Teachin' the kid from the get go on how to fill your glass, eh?  ;)

Nephasth

« Reply #91 on: May 22, 2012, 09:33:29 am »
 :applaud: Great work! Love this design!

This Bud's for you!

wp34

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2022, 09:48:19 pm
« Reply #92 on: May 22, 2012, 10:56:10 am »
Very nice.  That turned out great.   :cheers:

DaOld Man

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 13, 2023, 12:03:14 am
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
« Reply #93 on: May 22, 2012, 11:04:01 am »
Great job Vigo! I love the way this turned out. Nice design on the stripes too.
Looks like your little one will be following in your footsteps!

:applaud: :applaud: :applaud:

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 09:47:02 pm
« Reply #94 on: May 22, 2012, 12:08:25 pm »
Looks good.  Home Depot has 2x4 sheets of 1/2" MDF for under $7.

Considering these things look just about the right size for babies... makes me think they're REALLY small in person.   :-\  Looks good, though.

From the start, I've wondered how it would scale up to a 4x8 sheet.
You wouldn't make it as tall as the entire sheet and probably wouldn't double the width, so there would be extra material to work with.
It would be cool to come up with plans for a $100 cab using all new materials, except for computer & monitor.
grrrr....to many unfinished projects already.

DrChek

• Offline Offline
« Reply #95 on: May 22, 2012, 12:18:34 pm »
Considering these things look just about the right size for babies... makes me think they're REALLY small in person.   :-\  Looks good, though.

I'm 6'2" and mine is perfect sit down size.

Vigo

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #96 on: May 22, 2012, 12:27:59 pm »
Thanks all! I have been enjoying having my son play games with me. Started out with Tapper, then on to Elevator Action, Tetris, Bubble Bobble and moved on to things like Street Fighter II and Marvel vs. Capcom. He likes mashing buttons, so I think he will have no problem enjoying this machine by himself when he is a little older.

JayB

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 25, 2013, 06:11:59 pm
« Reply #97 on: May 22, 2012, 01:04:11 pm »
Love it. Red with Black goes so well doesn't it.

melvinbates

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 26, 2023, 11:39:02 am
  • Another day in paradise
« Reply #98 on: May 22, 2012, 01:23:49 pm »
 :applaud: Great Job, I can't wait to get one put together for my son.  Now just need to find a free 3 day weekend...

killsurfcity

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 06, 2012, 10:36:52 am
« Reply #99 on: May 22, 2012, 01:31:01 pm »
Excellent! Really inspiring build!  :notworthy:

• Offline Offline
« Reply #100 on: May 22, 2012, 11:32:39 pm »
absolutely awesome build. Most importantly, your kid looks happy in the pic. I'm still debating on whether i should make one or not but its definitely on my "want" list.

I have been planning and procrastinating on a set of plans that should model the viewlix tournament style cabinet. That cab is a single player model usually placed in a head to head position with another vewlix and holds a 24" monitor. Hoping to have it modeled as closely as possible to the original in terms of stick and monitor height so that it can serve the purpose of a practice unit for fighting game fans that may eventually encounter the real thing.

DrChek

• Offline Offline
« Reply #101 on: May 25, 2012, 03:31:16 pm »
Just wanted to post that I'm 100% done on my VigoLix clone: The Spike!

Vigo

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #102 on: May 25, 2012, 04:26:36 pm »
 :applaud: That art fits perfect on your cab! Very nice!!  8)

dandare

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 25, 2013, 08:43:44 am
« Reply #103 on: May 26, 2012, 05:14:24 am »
awesome little build vigo. i love it!

Vigo

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #104 on: June 22, 2012, 11:28:56 am »
It has it's own thread, but I just figured I better post a shot of my vigolix racing cab.

Bender

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 28, 2016, 08:12:21 pm
    • Happ to Tron Conversion tutorial
« Reply #105 on: January 01, 2013, 07:19:47 pm »
How the F@#$ did i miss this thread :angry:

Nice work Vigo!

I'm gonna rip this like a strongman ripping a telephone book in a half (you know a whole lot of rippin')
oh the possibilities

Bender

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 28, 2016, 08:12:21 pm
    • Happ to Tron Conversion tutorial
« Reply #106 on: January 08, 2013, 08:41:22 am »
Hey Vigo,

What did you use to light up the marquee?

brihyn

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 31, 2020, 04:29:27 pm
« Reply #107 on: August 13, 2013, 01:05:03 pm »
Has anyone built a full-size of this yet? Coworker is loving this one so it sounds like I may be building it this fall...just curious if anyone else has, if anyone's updated the original plans for full size, and what kind of ideas people would have to allow it to have a back and access door.

Vigo

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #108 on: August 14, 2013, 12:09:45 am »
Has anyone built a full-size of this yet? Coworker is loving this one so it sounds like I may be building it this fall...just curious if anyone else has, if anyone's updated the original plans for full size, and what kind of ideas people would have to allow it to have a back and access door.

Yes, Slappyhooper made a nice fullsize version of the vigolix, called the Redline. That should hopefully give you a good reference for scaling up and for attaching a back panel.

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,128876.0.html

Hey Vigo,

What did you use to light up the marquee?

Hey Bender, Don't know how I missed your message. Thanks! I just used a plain old 12 inch fluorescent light from the hardware store.

TheDude

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 17, 2017, 03:02:28 pm
  • Bartops all the way !
    • BARTOPMANIA
« Reply #109 on: August 14, 2013, 04:02:38 am »
That's a sweet machine !  :applaud: :applaud:

brihyn

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 31, 2020, 04:29:27 pm
« Reply #110 on: August 14, 2013, 08:39:42 am »
Thanks.
I don't know how I missed this build originally...didn't see it until about a week ago, but when I did, I knew I had to build one, but frankly, don't have the space. Was excited when the coworker shared my appreciation for it and asked if I'd build for him...hope you don't mind the replica.

Vigo

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #111 on: August 14, 2013, 01:55:58 pm »
Not at all!  :cheers: I am very flattered!

lcmgadgets

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 31, 2023, 01:46:12 pm
  • Can u guess what game this image is from?
« Reply #112 on: August 14, 2013, 02:08:45 pm »
How the hell did I miss all this?! Vigo--u dreamt this up?! (Hilarious dream, by the way)

Vigo, I'm lost for words, except 2: You rock!  :applaud:  :notworthy:
"Godzilla is a warning. A warning to each and every one of us. When mankind falls into conflict with nature, monsters are born."
Professor Hayashida

Rick

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 09, 2023, 01:16:55 pm
  • Bartop, Cocktail and Pinball Arcade Cabinets
    • Gameroom Designs Canada
« Reply #113 on: August 18, 2013, 06:16:27 pm »
Slick build, sir. Very slick! (I just realized I've read this thread a bunch, but never commented. No wonder it didn't appear in my feed.)

blashyrk

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 14, 2017, 02:56:16 am
« Reply #114 on: August 19, 2013, 12:05:49 pm »
Great work vigo, I love how you dreamed up this wonderful cabinet. I'm planning to build a scaled up version of you vigolix with a vertical monitor and a marquee/instruction card screen.

Vigo

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #115 on: August 19, 2013, 12:49:41 pm »
Thanks guys, you are all too kind.  :) and blashyrk, good luck with your build!

I am currently working on a few upgrades to the Vigolix, such as adding a NephRing, some tinted Plexi and improve the marquee art. I am looking forward to sharing those updates as they come along.

mann0mann

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 25, 2016, 12:31:54 pm
  • Still looking for the right project...
    • My Hobby Store
« Reply #116 on: August 20, 2013, 03:46:01 am »
Vigo, I am thinking about building up a cabinet based on your design.  I'm worried that the size is too small for me.  I'm a big boy at 6'3" and I'm not sure I want to sit to play.  I'd like the idea of using a stool or standing and was thinking of scaling up 50%.

72" high, 24" wide and 18" deep.

I'd like to use a 19" LCD vertical and put the CP at approx 36"

Any thoughts on that?  Do you think it would scale up enough?  I've read through Slappyhooper's build and I've looked at all of the pics, it's really hard to get a feel for the size.  Even Slappy's thread says its more "kid sized". 

This will be my first arcade build and ownership ever.  So I may *think* I know what I want...but I'm guessing I might be off the mark.  I would really appreciate any feedback in any regard on this.

Thanks - Mike

blashyrk

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 14, 2017, 02:56:16 am
« Reply #117 on: August 20, 2013, 11:32:05 am »
Thanks guys, you are all too kind.  :) and blashyrk, good luck with your build!

I am currently working on a few upgrades to the Vigolix, such as adding a NephRing, some tinted Plexi and improve the marquee art. I am looking forward to sharing those updates as they come along.
Thank you vigo. Looking forward to see the improved vigolix :)

severdhed

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 07, 2022, 04:45:32 pm
  • RIP Dinosaur Hippo
« Reply #118 on: August 20, 2013, 04:06:00 pm »
don't know how i missed this one...awesome build. 
Current Projects:      Zak-Man | TMNT Pedestal | SNES Pi | N64 Odroid
Former Projects:     4 Player Showcase | Donkey Kong | iCade

slappyhooper

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 28, 2016, 06:59:59 pm
  • Being a civilian...That's the life!
« Reply #119 on: August 22, 2013, 07:35:36 am »
Vigo, I am thinking about building up a cabinet based on your design.  I'm worried that the size is too small for me.  I'm a big boy at 6'3" and I'm not sure I want to sit to play.  I'd like the idea of using a stool or standing and was thinking of scaling up 50%.

72" high, 24" wide and 18" deep.

I'd like to use a 19" LCD vertical and put the CP at approx 36"

Any thoughts on that?  Do you think it would scale up enough?  I've read through Slappyhooper's build and I've looked at all of the pics, it's really hard to get a feel for the size.  Even Slappy's thread says its more "kid sized". 

This will be my first arcade build and ownership ever.  So I may *think* I know what I want...but I'm guessing I might be off the mark.  I would really appreciate any feedback in any regard on this.

Thanks - Mike

Mann0mann,

I'm about to hit the gym so I'll make this hopefully quick and informative. Things that I ran into during the build....

First, regarding your questions about size.

I'm 6'6. The cabinet I built was a bit on the smallish size for me. This was deliberate. That being said, the 24" width is just about perfect. If I were you, what I would do is buy (2) sheets of Plywood or MDF/MDO and build. Here's why.

1. The shape of the vigolix build makes it very easy to cut with minimal skill/tools, but it tapers very quickly when you get to the top portion of the build. You notice how I rounded over the top portion like Vigo did. What I would recommend is that if you're thinking you'd like a build that's 72 inches high, you should cut the side panels about 78-80 inches in height. This will enable you to size the cabinet to your body height, and trim the top pointy portion down as far as you want to accomidate the "perfect height" cabinet.  If I could do it all over again, I'd probably scale just a touch higher, to perhaps something like

20" deep
78" tall
24" wide.

This departs from Vigo's awesome economical plans and requires an additional piece of MDF or PLY, but it makes fitting everything together a bit easier if you're putting a back or base on your build.

2. You'll probably notice if you scale exactly 50% up from vigo's original build that the monitor when mounted is a bit below eye level for you. Not a big deal for me, because I was building for my sister's kids, but this is where the extra few inches you gave yourself at the beginning of the build comes in handy. You can put the monitor up a bit higher than you would have been able to otherwise.

3. The CP height I went with was actually not bad, although it's not as forgiving for taller players as a sloped CP is. Sitting at barstool height, it plays perfectly for me, and if I spread my legs wide while standing it's "ok" for me.

4. 24" is just about perfect for width. You might be able to justify going slightly wider if you installed a trackball, but for a simple 2 player setup I would stick with 24". There's plenty of room to play.

5.  I also used a 19" monitor, and it felt about the right size for the build. Keep in mind I made a bezel and installed tinted glass in front of it. The pictures I took really don't glass justice. It looks very, very nice with tinted glass.

6. As you can see from my build, I essentially created a 2 piece CP.  The first portion is the controls, the second is the coin/start pause and exit buttons located directly under the monitor glass. If i could do this all over again, I'd nix that portion and fit everything onto the main CP.
You have a lot of space to play around with on this particular style cabinet. My advice to you would be to install the joystick and buttons a bit closer to the front edge of the CP, and that will allow you plenty of room to install start/coin buttons on the CP without going the route I went. It turned out "OK" but added a layer of complexity to an otherwise simple build.

7. I built a base and a back on mine. I feel like it worked out pretty well, but it was something I decided I needed as I was building, and it wasn't planned as well as it could have been. Everything came together, but when you're building in close to zero weather in the middle of December, it's nice to have a plan before you cut or build. I would recommend a back panel for a scaled up cab like this. It just makes it that much nicer.

Hope this helps.....

mann0mann

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 25, 2016, 12:31:54 pm
  • Still looking for the right project...
    • My Hobby Store
« Reply #120 on: August 27, 2013, 03:29:41 am »
Thank you for all the detailed feedback. 

I mocked up a 72" cut high version (final 6" less) and it did end up feeling a tad bit short for me standing up, but it felt pretty close on a stool.

I drew up plans based on:

24" deep
78" tall
24" wide

and I think you could cut the entire cabinet from a 4x8 sheet and have more than enough left over to do anything extra like.

I just recently got a tabletop cocktail unit with the JAMMA 60-in-1 and now I'm just rethinking everything.  That 60-in-1 really sucks.  With the 4-way/8-way issue and there is really only like 10 decent games on that whole board and half you have to give up depending on the joystick you choose.

I don't want to derail this thread, but I'm not sure what to do.  Want to build something but have no idea based on what.  ArcadeSD is so pricey, MAME seems intimidating to me and alot of work.  IDK

Thanks again for all the advice and feedback though!  Really appreciate it.

Locke141

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 03, 2024, 06:00:00 am
  • Never grow up.
« Reply #121 on: July 27, 2014, 10:24:13 am »
I just wanted to share my build inspired by this project.

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,140348.0.html
« Last Edit: December 19, 2014, 09:30:19 am by DeLuSioNal29 »

mcseforsale

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 18, 2023, 08:49:34 am
  • Creepy Mario Dude
« Reply #122 on: July 27, 2014, 10:45:44 am »
Hmmm....I just realized that I have a brandy new 15" monitor laying around staring at me.  I was gonna build a juke outta it but this look like it's a better fit.  Maybe a dedicated vertical cab as stated above.

:applaud:  and cheap too!

AJ

Loper

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 11, 2020, 07:32:30 pm
« Reply #123 on: February 18, 2015, 07:17:44 pm »
(Really not sure if this is the place to post for sure but it seemed appropriate to me at the time of this writing.)I am new to the forum, and had first heard about it after seeing this project and wanted to build one of my own. After about a year of planning and scraping one idea after another I decided that this design was in fact the way to go. My limitations are mostly living space, as I only have a small section of home office to put a cab and the Vigolix design fits the bill, and corner. But being the dreamer I am, I wanted to see how far I can push the design while staying true to the original plans. Just how much cool stuff can I fit in this cab? Well I loaded up SketchUp and decided to find out. At this point I would say my design is 80-90% done and I cannot wait to get started. It is going to take some time to save up for it and I will more than likely be working on it for over a year and dropping around $1,000 into it, but I would like to introduce the Noir-Cade (I'm still open for a better name.)

It is going to run on an AMD A10-7850K APU and eventually the GTX 750 ti that is currently in my main PC when I upgrade the GPU on that. It's going to be cooled by a Corsair H100i and I would like to fit a Logitech LS21 in if possible, gotta have a little bass. The joystick, trackball and 14 buttons are going to be RGB LED connected to a Howler controller. It's a bit ambitious, but I hope to get it done they way I plan. Once I have enough parts to get the build truly started I will start a thread for the build with updates on progress.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2015, 07:18:33 pm by Loper »

SMEAR_FLA

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 13, 2016, 08:58:57 pm
« Reply #124 on: February 18, 2015, 07:48:58 pm »
Thank you for all the detailed feedback. 

I mocked up a 72" cut high version (final 6" less) and it did end up feeling a tad bit short for me standing up, but it felt pretty close on a stool.

I drew up plans based on:

24" deep
78" tall
24" wide

and I think you could cut the entire cabinet from a 4x8 sheet and have more than enough left over to do anything extra like.

I just recently got a tabletop cocktail unit with the JAMMA 60-in-1 and now I'm just rethinking everything.  That 60-in-1 really sucks.  With the 4-way/8-way issue and there is really only like 10 decent games on that whole board and half you have to give up depending on the joystick you choose.

I don't want to derail this thread, but I'm not sure what to do.  Want to build something but have no idea based on what.  ArcadeSD is so pricey, MAME seems intimidating to me and alot of work.  IDK

Thanks again for all the advice and feedback though!  Really appreciate it.

I've managed to get this far on one piece of 4' x 8' MDF. I'm going to have to pick up an additional piece of wood to create a monitor mount and to close off the back, but I will have plenty for the marquee mount and shelf surface for the bottom inside. Also note, my build is 32" wide and about 72" tall so if you're planning on going 24" wide, one 4 x 8 piece should be plenty.

« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 08:03:54 pm by SMEAR_FLA »

Vigo

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #125 on: February 26, 2015, 01:38:59 am »
(Really not sure if this is the place to post for sure but it seemed appropriate to me at the time of this writing.)I am new to the forum, and had first heard about it after seeing this project and wanted to build one of my own. After about a year of planning and scraping one idea after another I decided that this design was in fact the way to go. My limitations are mostly living space, as I only have a small section of home office to put a cab and the Vigolix design fits the bill, and corner. But being the dreamer I am, I wanted to see how far I can push the design while staying true to the original plans. Just how much cool stuff can I fit in this cab? Well I loaded up SketchUp and decided to find out. At this point I would say my design is 80-90% done and I cannot wait to get started. It is going to take some time to save up for it and I will more than likely be working on it for over a year and dropping around $1,000 into it, but I would like to introduce the Noir-Cade (I'm still open for a better name.)

It is going to run on an AMD A10-7850K APU and eventually the GTX 750 ti that is currently in my main PC when I upgrade the GPU on that. It's going to be cooled by a Corsair H100i and I would like to fit a Logitech LS21 in if possible, gotta have a little bass. The joystick, trackball and 14 buttons are going to be RGB LED connected to a Howler controller. It's a bit ambitious, but I hope to get it done they way I plan. Once I have enough parts to get the build truly started I will start a thread for the build with updates on progress.

Hey Loper! Thanks for the post. Sorry for the lack of reply, but I couldn't figure out the images right away. I am reposting them below, as long as you don't mind. Pretty slick! Is that gonna be plexi glass in the front?  8) My only question of concern is on the control panel. Simply that you have an 8 button layout but all the buttons are straight. Usually the left most column is lowered down so it is easier for the thumb to use that button.  I also am guessing there will be a marquee area on top? Other than that, I think this is gonna look really great.  :cheers:

Loper

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 11, 2020, 07:32:30 pm
« Reply #126 on: April 02, 2015, 10:47:58 pm »
Sorry my reply is so late. Life happened. Yes the front will be plexi, but it was not yet added to the sketchup model in these images, and as far as the straight button layout, that is a concept i want to try for a couple of reasons, I will rarely use all 8 at the same time, and when I do it will likely be things like final fantasy 7 and 8, so when it comes to things like neo geo, i want to try the top right 3 with one on the bottom row for the 4th. and i also want to see how the top row plus the one in the bottom row that is centered under those works with asteroids. I would post updated images but i am not sure how to get the images to post.

danny_galaga

• Grand high prophet of the holy noodle.
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 09:42:50 pm
  • because the mail never stops
    • dans cocktail lounge
« Reply #127 on: April 04, 2015, 05:16:32 am »

Late to this thread, but nice work Vigo on the minimalist approach. I like minimalist, which is why I've nearly finished building  cab with about 6 different sheets of MDF…

Hey, I'm a whiskey priest.

ROUGHING UP THE SUSPECT SINCE 1981

DeLuSioNal29

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 20, 2023, 11:39:06 pm
  • Build the impossible -"There is no Spoon"
    • DeLuSioNaL's YouTube Videos
« Reply #128 on: April 04, 2015, 09:53:02 pm »
Pics or it didn't happen!
Stop by my Youtube channel and leave a comment:

Vigo

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #129 on: April 07, 2015, 04:53:52 pm »

Late to this thread, but nice work Vigo on the minimalist approach. I like minimalist, which is why I've nearly finished building  cab with about 6 different sheets of MDF…

Hey, I'm a whiskey priest.

Thanks, Danny!   :cheers:   :lol

Vigo

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #130 on: April 07, 2015, 04:57:08 pm »
Sorry my reply is so late. Life happened. Yes the front will be plexi, but it was not yet added to the sketchup model in these images, and as far as the straight button layout, that is a concept i want to try for a couple of reasons, I will rarely use all 8 at the same time, and when I do it will likely be things like final fantasy 7 and 8, so when it comes to things like neo geo, i want to try the top right 3 with one on the bottom row for the 4th. and i also want to see how the top row plus the one in the bottom row that is centered under those works with asteroids. I would post updated images but i am not sure how to get the images to post.

Gotcha! That makes sense! I'll be interested to see how using Neo Geo with that layout works for you.

To attach pictures, There is an + button under the post text box that says "Attachments and other options" click that, then click the "Choose File" button and find your picture. To do more, click the "More attachments" button.  8)

MoldyFed208

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 27, 2015, 11:55:54 pm
« Reply #131 on: May 27, 2015, 11:55:54 pm »
Can you make one for me please I'm a high functioning autistic girl and I'm seem to like arcade games many of them. ???

Vigo

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #132 on: May 28, 2015, 11:56:50 am »
Hello! Thanks for your interest.  :)

I am not currently building any vigolix cabs, but there are plenty of people on this site who do make arcade cabinets. You should post a request at the buy/sell/trade board and there should be someone able to help you out.

kangarolf

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 08, 2016, 01:37:20 am
« Reply #133 on: September 09, 2015, 06:58:45 am »
Hey all,

I have drawn up to scale plans for a single sheet 8 by 4 (2400 by 1200 for us in the UK!). This is based on measurements I took from my Naomi standup cab..I have indicated the position of the control panel and the screen.

The front panels are set to 800mm wide which is enough room for a 32 inch TV in horizontal mode. It retains the same angle as the original so should be just as stable.

On the naomi the control panel is 960mm high and the overall cabinet is 1760mm high (without marquee) and 740mm wide.

Cheers

MoebiusStreet

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 02, 2019, 07:40:40 pm
« Reply #134 on: February 02, 2019, 07:39:03 pm »
I've just completed my own Vigolix-inspired cabinet, but scaled up to 6'.

Here are some more pics, with the rear view and some of the build process.
https://imgur.com/gallery/KpoHLDu

Thanks for the inspiration!

DeLuSioNal29

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 20, 2023, 11:39:06 pm
  • Build the impossible -"There is no Spoon"
    • DeLuSioNaL's YouTube Videos
« Reply #135 on: February 02, 2019, 10:23:22 pm »
Nice!  Looks good. Have you considered adding a matching Tankstick overlay to give it a more custom look?

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Stop by my Youtube channel and leave a comment:

abispac

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 27, 2024, 01:01:09 pm
« Reply #136 on: October 22, 2022, 01:44:17 am »
I apologise for reviving this old topic, but i wanted to share my cab progress inspired on this wonderfull dream arcade. Hoping to inspire future generations.
Thanks for this great idea.
Mine is gonna be a mini 2 players, kof vs street fighters themed.
I used some kind of edge finishing instead of tmolding and im pleased with the results. tomorrow i should get the paint and the glass and should be done.