Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Gamecube Analog Stick Soldering for CP (don't need analog pressure sensitivity)  (Read 2683 times)

ZTylerDurden717

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 07, 2024, 12:52:28 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Hey guys,

I want to re-purpose my Nintendo Wii and play the Metal Slug Anthology using a CP with my cab. The problem is that the Metal Slug Anthology doesn’t recognize the d-pad on the GCube controller and only the analog.

I don’t need pressure sensitivity so long as it registers up, down, left, right.

Is it still more complex relative to the dpad soldering joints (resistors, pots, etc)?  I'm researching in parallel to get my mind wrapped around it but any useful advice would be appreciated.

edit: Slagcoin.com was super useful to understand how analog's work differently.  Yet it wasn't detailed enough for a noob like me to understand how/where to solder properly.  If anyone has pulled this off, I'll definitely appreciate the feedback.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2018, 04:50:29 pm by ZTylerDurden717 »

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 08:42:35 am
  • Designated spam hunter
Normal analog controls use a potentiometer with three tabs.
- Ground
- Wiper
- Vcc (operating voltage)

The wiper makes contact with the resistive element somewhere between the ground and Vcc tabs -- the contact position determines the voltage on the wiper.

That voltage goes to the analog encoder input port where an analog to digital (A/D) circuit translates the voltage to a position for that axis.

Here's a simple mod that will allow you to use two microswitches (i.e. one axis of an 8-way stick) with one analog axis input.
- Wire the NO and COM tabs of one microswitch in parallel with the ground and wiper tabs of the potentiometer.
- Wire the NO and COM tabs of the other microswitch in parallel with the wiper and Vcc tabs of the potentiometer.

Pressing the stick left closes the microswitch between ground and wiper ==> ground applied to x-axis analog input port ==> analog encoder translates that as the analog stick being pressed all the way left.

Pressing the stick right closes the microswitch between wiper and Vcc ==> Vcc applied to x-axis analog input port ==> analog encoder translates that as the analog stick being pressed all the way right.

Scott
« Last Edit: November 25, 2018, 07:01:17 pm by PL1 »

ZTylerDurden717

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 07, 2024, 12:52:28 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Thanks so much!  I couldn't find anything as detailed as what you provided after digging through many, many topics.

You mind if I reach out at a later point in time (finishing the woodwork soon) with visual attachments to confirm I'm targeting the right solder locations?

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 08:42:35 am
  • Designated spam hunter
Always glad to assist.   :cheers:

Scott