Software Support > Automated Projects

Actuator Project ( Was MRotate4)

(1/17) > >>

DaOld Man:
5/13/2012: I changed the name of this thread because I will soon release MRotate4, and I plan to make a new thread detailing what MRotate4 is then.
I sort of  steered this thread towards actuators, which is ok. But the name was misleading, since it really isnt about MRotate4.
Nothing else in this thread has been changed, and the remainder is the original.

Ok, I have been working on a rig to rotate a LCD monitor using one of DarthPauls actuators. (Thanks DarthPaul!).
The initial test was a complete success.
I am also working on a new version of MRotate that I  plan to use on this rig.
This version will use the 9 pin (or 25 pin if you have a really old computer) com port.
I am calling this version MRotate4.
It will not require any kind of pic chip to get I/O. It will use two pins for outputs to turn on the drive, and two pins for inputs to monitor the limit switches.
The pins are: (on a 9 pin port)
Outputs:
Pin 4 DTR
Pin 7 RTS
Inputs:
Pin 1 DCD
Pin 6 DSR

The comport wont require the special inpout32.dll that the printer port needs, and it shouldnt have the annoying "some pins turn on during boot up".
Im not sure if a usb to serial convertor will work, but Im guessing it will.

I plan to make the drive for the motor very simple too.

The disadvantages of using the comport (without some sort of I/O chip), is the limited number of outputs and inputs.
So some of the features available in other versions wont be available in MRotate4. (Degauss, monitor off, drive enable, stop button, etc)

My question is: How many of you have comports on your mame PC? I know the comport is going the same path as the printer port, but I have seen some fairly new computers with at least one comport.

I have attached a picture of my test rig. It is strapped to a bar stool right now, notice the belt? (I have often wondered why God allowed me to get fat in my old years, now I know why LOL).
I used the same pine 2X4 rig I built for the stepper motor trial, which was a failure. The actuator, however works very well.

DaOld Man:
Here is a better picture of the rig. I added some labels to help explain what I am doing.

Le Chuck:
All my laptops and netbooks have comports, and all my cabs above the micro scale have them as well.  I'd be interested the USB route though since I don't know how long the com port is going to hold on. 

Working on your 2012 UCA Software acceptance speech yet?  Have you even written your 2011 acceptance speech? 

DaOld Man:

--- Quote from: Le Chuck on April 07, 2012, 11:38:13 pm ---All my laptops and netbooks have comports, and all my cabs above the micro scale have them as well.  I'd be interested the USB route though since I don't know how long the com port is going to hold on. 

Working on your 2012 UCA Software acceptance speech yet?  Have you even written your 2011 acceptance speech? 

--- End quote ---

Well, I still have the MRotate USB version on the back burner. Its just that I want to build a way to make the monitor turn without being too complicated and not very expensive. (I know, just look at one of my schematics and laugh about my "complicated" statement!)

About the award, I want to thank you for your work LeChuck, and I really do appreciate it, but I was thinking, what does everyone think about whoever wins this year take a break the next year and not be eligible? This way others would have a shot, although Im not saying I have a shot next year, it's just that I dont think any of us would feel right winning two years in a row.  I will gladly go along with whatever the community wants to do. There are many very talented people (myself excluded) on here that could easily walk away with the award every year if they just put a little extra effort in it. Just trying to be fair and share the wealth.
This is probably a topic best for your thread over in the Main Forum.

Le Chuck:
I'm working on a low cost simple solution myself via USB but it's reliant on a very lite monitor.  If you can get something that is near idiot proof but has the ass to move larger loads I'm all for that.  Eitherway you're a pioneer man, if there's a need I'm sure you'll come up with a good solution.

As for the UCA, that's a valid recommendation.  I would probably tweek it to allow them to be nominated and confirmed but are excluded from the final voting.  Kinda like Miss America passing the crown.  During her reign Miss America visited XYZ and took part in these charities and build another sweet cab. 

We'll table all that for now tho, it's too soon to get back in the weeds on the UCAs for me but I think you can exepect to see a thread in Dec/Jan timeframe looking to discuss ways to make the UCAs better and create more involvement.   

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version