Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: NEO GEO Evolution (EVS-1) - Experimenting with DIY trackball  (Read 127126 times)

GIZMOGAMES

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 28, 2019, 10:33:46 pm
Re: Neo Geo Evolution - Slim Cab, Rotating 27" LCD
« Reply #40 on: May 16, 2012, 10:51:13 am »
You know im loving this build its showing me that the lazy susan idea may just work for me too altho i have a 23"monitor thats mounting plate is 8 wide by 4 down :( so not sure yet how ide measure/attach it any advice bud drop me a pm cheers apart from that bookmarked saved and cant wait to see it further BTW i remember that logo haha but to be honest the artwork looks very resevoir dogs lol kind of haha :D wish i had a decent version of photoshop ide take the original and add your bulldog to that so its not so RABBID hee hee still the red black deffo sells it :D  :cheers:
hope to see more soon :)

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 25, 2024, 08:10:48 pm
« Reply #41 on: May 20, 2012, 04:20:32 pm »
Final almost final rotation mech:

I moved the actuator to the bottom so everything could be mounted deeper in the cab.

Adjustable contact points for the limit switches:

Looks nice, but BIG PROBLEM: the actuator does not stop instantly when the switch is tripped.  It continues to move just far enough to damage the switch if I let it.   :-\  I tested an e-switch, cherry, x-arcade, & zippy.  The result was the same.  I needed more travel past the trip point.
A longer lever made out of two levers taped together worked, but didn't want to use that permanently.
(I bent the lever like that, the actuator didn't)

Searched fleabay and low and behold..."long lever microswitches"  :lol  Not cheap, but less work on my part.

I'd have probably seen this coming if I'd read Da' Old Man & Darthpaul's threads better.  I seem to remember something about using coin switches.  Maybe the brake in mrotate would help, but I'd rather the hardware be set up so nothing can be damaged.

In the cab:

The mdf above and below it are more for alignment and to help hold it while I screw it to some 2x3's on the sides.

It's in there about as deep as it can go! Had to notch out the framing.
The monitor will follow the same angle as the front edge of the cab.  
The bezel should end up recessed about 4.5"-5" from the front edges of the cab.

I decided it needed an access panel so adjustments could be made while it was in the cab.

(managed to use screws that were too long  :angry: .  After the pic was taken, they were replaced with shorter ones and everything sanded down flat.
It will still need some bondo.)

Next time, there will be a monitor mounted in there....and it will move.  ;D
« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 04:31:24 pm by BadMouth »

DNA Dan

• Guys.. we're not talking gold bars here
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 02, 2017, 11:39:00 am
« Reply #42 on: May 20, 2012, 07:47:19 pm »
Why does the actuator keep moving once the limit switch is tripped? am I missing something ? The limit switch should be providing some feedback to your setup, either killing the power, braking the movement, etc.

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #43 on: May 20, 2012, 09:08:24 pm »
Why does the actuator keep moving once the limit switch is tripped? am I missing something ? The limit switch should be providing some feedback to your setup, either killing the power, braking the movement, etc.

Just momentum I guess.  The switch does kill the power, but the arm continues to move a little less than 1/4" and my current levers only have about 1/8" of travel. (rough estimates)

This stuff is new to me (and fun!  ;D  ).  
When this happened, I assumed that it was normal and would have been accounted for by someone with more experience.

If that's not the case, there's a few things that might be a factor.  (at any rate, the longer levers will fix it)

The actuator I'm using is faster than most at 1.5" per second.  Most are only around 1/3" per second.

For testing, the actuator is wired to a DPDT switch, with the power wire for each direction going through the NC tab of the limit switches themselves.
Maybe there is a little arching going on inside the limit switch keeping power flowing for a fraction of a second after it clicks.
The actuator is pulling around 1 AMP (12v), nothing too crazy.  I don't know what these switches are made to handle, but I haven't smelled smoke. :lol

Eventually I'll be using a motor driver board controlled by mrotate using a parallel port, but I like the way it's set up now for testing.
I don't have to do anything but plug a cigarette lighter adapter in a booster pack and flip a switch back and forth.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 09:11:04 pm by BadMouth »

darthpaul

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 23, 2022, 07:34:53 pm
  • Join, It's your duty
« Reply #44 on: May 20, 2012, 11:56:17 pm »
Great job so far, when it comes to the limit switches, the coin switches would have given you more play but if what you are using works, than that is all that matters. With all these rotating LCD monitors using Actuators, I have this idea of building a BarTop with an auto rotating, servo controlled monitor if I can ever finish my current build.   
"You don't know the power of the Dark Side"
Automated Cabinet
Nintendo Pi
PiCubed

capsule

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 22, 2013, 12:05:13 pm
    • caps:arcade
« Reply #45 on: May 21, 2012, 03:11:53 pm »
Genius!

Did you try pinball switches? Some of them have a very long lever which would bend nicely.
Check this website for some examples: http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=catalog&parent=101&pg=1

DNA Dan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #46 on: May 21, 2012, 04:29:00 pm »
I'm curious if this is residual momentum in the actuator (Mechanical) or a delay in the electronics setup. I can't speak for your particular motor driver under mrotate, but using the pololu motor driver the braking is for all intensive purposes immediate. So much so that I don't even need to soften the stop. I just have some pieces of felt there. Once the switch is tripped, BAM the motor brakes.

Maybe the difference is braking the motor? Anyway, you should try your exact motor driver with mrotate to see if this still exists. Might just be something in your test rig.

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #47 on: May 23, 2012, 12:50:20 am »
Did you try pinball switches? Some of them have a very long lever which would bend nicely.

I would have if I'd known about them.  :lol

Made a little more progress this evening.

I epoxied nylon spacers to the monitor mount so the back of the monitor would clear the nuts and bolt heads holding everything else together.
They happened to be about the right height to allow the cables to go between the monitor and mounting plate.
I'd planned to use a dvi cable since they can be screwed into place, but the ones I had were too thick.

It lives!

The monitor only clears the right side and top by 5/16th of an inch.  :o
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 02:39:34 pm by BadMouth »

Santoro

• Purveyor of Shiny Arcade Goodness
  • Santoro
  • Trade Count: (+32)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 23, 2023, 07:05:04 pm
  • Boycott Quarters!!!
    • ArcadeReplay!
« Reply #48 on: May 23, 2012, 08:25:24 am »
 :applaud: :applaud:

DNA Dan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #49 on: May 24, 2012, 01:24:14 am »
Very nice!  :cheers: Welcome to the club!

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #50 on: May 30, 2012, 02:04:49 pm »
was gonna wait until this part was done before posting, but I have other obligations and it will probably be a few weeks, so......

I had planned to use a $25 set of 2.1 computer speakers that I already had, but the more I listened to them, the more dissatisfied I was.
The highs just weren't there and the subwoofer sounded decent in a corner, but not pointed directly at me.  :(

I had some spare car components and bookshelf speakers, but nothing really felt like it was going to work right.
Then I saw these in a newegg sale email:

50w RMS.  3-way (middle speaker is a sealed back mid, bottom is a woofer), very good reviews.
They are bigger than they look.
4" drivers and 15" tall.  More like bookshelf speakers than PC speakers.

hmmm.....the space I have to work with is about the size of them laid end to end.

No room to just shove them in there in their current enclosures though:

Had to go around the area the monitor needs to rotate.  It was very tight with speaker placement that I wanted.

(they will be divided chambers, the divider is in the cab)

Just a little less tolerance than I was comfortable with, but the monitor will clear  :o

Reused ports from original enclosure.  The amount of air space is slightly less than the original enclosure.
Before tearing the speakers down, I put blocks of MDF inside the original enclosures to reduce the air space to what the arcade cab will have.
I was still satisfied with the sound.

The speakers put out pretty good bass.  Not as good as a subwoofer in a corner, but the notes are there and aren't as boomy.
The ports firing into the corner between the wall and ceiling should add a little extra bass boost.

What's with the square blocks that the speakers are mounted in.  ???

Those are the blocks from the original enclosures, so the original fronts will fit on them.  :D
The plan is to bridge them together with fiberglass, bondo it, and fiddle with it until I get an Ond Quality Finish ®
(even if it takes two weeks, which I'm pretty sure it will)
The tweeters mount in the front panel.

The volume and other controls will be moved down around the cp area.  Havent' figured out where yet.

The panel isn't glued into place yet.  I'm having trouble figuring out what to do about ventilation at the top.
I'd planned to have a vented panel just below the speaker section.
But when I went to do it, I realized that it was going to let light leak in.
I'm relying on the inside of the cab to be dark so nothing can be seen around the monitor.

I fiddled around with some louvered vents, but since they are going on the angled panel and not the back,
I think they will let too much light in.  Nothing can be put on the very back of the cab because it's being designed to sit flat against a wall.
Some kind of offset will probably have to be used, but there is zero room inside the cab because the monitor comes so close to the back when it rotates.
Something will present itself as the solution, it always does.  ;D

It will probably be a couple weeks before I get much else done.

« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 02:12:01 pm by BadMouth »

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #51 on: June 12, 2012, 12:03:28 am »
I've been making progress, but not to the point of getting any one thing all the way done.

I did a little bit on the speaker shroud every couple days.
(lay down some glass, mow the yard, lay down some glass, go to bed, etc)

To begin, I placed the original speaker fronts in position over the speakers, taped a bridge accross them and made a mold, hoping it would save me time later.

Prepped for joining (I didn't sand the rest of them because I didn't want resin sticking anywhere else if accidentally dripped)

Then made sure the covers were properly aligned over the speakers and screwed the mold in place.

Laid down a few layers on the backside, trying to push it into the mold.

Meh, not as good as I'd hoped, but not bad for the first round.  The white lines are areas that I didn't get soaked well enough with resin.  The holes (besides the screw holes) are places where air bubbles were.  They must be cut wide open and filled.

After a few more rounds, it looks more like it should.

A coat of primer, so I can tell what is and isn't still visible.  (I did sand the entire piece first.  ;)  )

It's pretty good, but I plan to paint it gloss black so I'm not going to rush it.  The place where it's joined together and where the knobs were isn't visible except a little bit on the side.  The contours on the center section look a little asymetric when held at an angle to the light.  I might have to hit it with a skim coat of bondo down the center.

I plan to put some kind of decal in the center.

« Last Edit: June 12, 2012, 12:50:03 am by BadMouth »

Nephasth

« Reply #52 on: June 12, 2012, 12:22:06 am »
That speaker panel is ---smurfing--- tits! Keep up the great work! :applaud:

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #53 on: June 12, 2012, 12:26:34 am »
Then there was the problem of the vent.  

Because I'm relying on a tinted bezel to hide everything around the screen, light inside the cab must be limited as much as possible.
I'd planned on just using an air return vent from Lowes, but the louvers let in more light than expected.  The vent being mounted at a 45 degree angle was going to make it even worse.  I came up with all kinds of crazy ideas for offset channels and fans, but none of them seemed right.

So I searched the internet for "light proof vent".  Nearly all results involved growing marijuana indoors.  At first I skimmed and ignored them, but after not coming up with any better ideas myself, I read through the posts again.  One idea was just perfect.

Start out with around $25 worth of aluminum angle, cut into long louvers and stacks of short spacers:

Paint them flat black (except for the areas that will be joined together):

Stack them up with spacers doubled up between the long pieces.  JB weld spread between each part.

Frame it in:

Throw on a couple more coats of flat black and toss in in the cab:

And there you have an expensive, over engineered air vent.  :lol
(that doesn't let in any light)

I could have polished the outside edge if I'd done a better job cutting the pieces out, but I had to fill in some gaps where the corners join with JB weld.  :-\  It's crazy how well this thing blocks light.  None gets through.  Originally I thought that convection wouldn't allow heat to escape because it would get trapped in the peaks, but since the louvers are at a 45 degree angle and the back of the cab is at a 45 degrees, the louvers are actually parallel to the ground.  I still plan to make sure that I have positive pressure inside the cab to keep air flowing.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 09:26:00 am by BadMouth »

emphatic

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 09:41:25 am
  • -"Suck it, Donny!" -"No, YOU suck it.... more".
    • Emphatic's Video Game Collection
« Reply #54 on: June 12, 2012, 08:00:09 am »
Nice vent!

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #55 on: June 18, 2012, 07:50:08 pm »
The subwoofer thread got me excited.

I won't bother writing three paragraphs about how I arrived at this design.
There wasn't enough room under the cab for it to be down-firing.
Having it centered in the rear would have interfered with mounting the coin door.
In the end, I think this was the best use of space.

I had already cut out the pieces for a removeable box, but decided it was going to be too much of a pain to remove and was kinda pointless.
So I utilized the walls of the cab.

(removed the back door so it could be redone with cutouts and grill mesh)

The sub is a shielded 8" Dayton SD215-88.  The shielded version is no longer produced, but a never-used one turned up on fleabay for $10 + $10 shipping.  I usually just use PVC pipe for ports, but decided I'd try a flared port since I was already placing an order at parts express for a sub amp.
They had a 70w plate amp on sale for $50 that is a good match for this speaker.  Ended up with just under $100 in everything.

The enclosure is 1.9 cubic feet and tuned to 30hz.
It sounds surprisingly deep for an 8" sub and will go louder than I will ever need it to.

Another concern was that I still needed to be able to mount the coin door without being a contortionist.
Everything else will be mounted on the other side.

I've put off doing the final finish on the shroud for the main speakers until I worked out how it will be mounted.
Finally decided on magnets so it can be repositioned slightly and more precisely than velcro.
Just epoxied the magnets on this evening, so I should be prepping that for paint next time.

I'm antsy to get this thing wrapped up far enough to paint the inside so I can go ahead and mount the speakers and amps!
The marquee retainers, marquee plexi, & the brackets that will support the bezel glass were done weeks ago,
so the whole top end will come together quickly after paint.

The main holdup is the area behind the CP that will be exposed when the CP is shifted, and the area between the CP and bezel glass.
I've got a lot of things going on in those areas and everything needs to be serviceable.
I built a CP a couple weeks ago, but something is a little off.  It's like the whole box is twisted.  It doesn't sit on the cab quite like it should and the top doesn't sit flat on it.  There is really no choice but to redo it.

« Last Edit: June 18, 2012, 08:04:32 pm by BadMouth »

DaOld Man

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 13, 2023, 12:03:14 am
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
« Reply #56 on: June 18, 2012, 09:28:09 pm »
3 words:
Damn it boy!

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
Re: Neo Geo Evolution (EVS-1) Slim Cab, Rotating 27" LCD
« Reply #57 on: July 06, 2012, 01:39:00 am »
Still been chipping away at it.  Hopefully I'll have a major update after this weekend.  ;)

Speaker shroud came out with orange peel the first time around, so I waited the prescribed 48 hours, sanded and repainted.
It turned out pretty good this time, except for a spot on the lower right corner.  There was some kind of contamination and the paint shriveled up on contact.  :angry:
No idea what it was because I only used water to wet sand and alcohol (not rubbing) to wipe it down.
At any rate, it's wait another 48 hours, sand that corner and try again.

This is still a WIP, but here is the direction I've decided to go for the marquee and CP.
In my head, I've always referred to it as an EVS-1.  ;D

I couldn't come up with a version of the "the future is now" marquee that I was happy with, so I went back to basics.

I'm open for suggestions on the marquee.
(I already know alignments, etc. aren't perfect.  Looking for ideas to make it look better)
I was trying to come up with a clever substitute for SNK, but couldn't think of anything.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2012, 09:20:11 am by BadMouth »

GIZMOGAMES

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 28, 2019, 10:33:46 pm
« Reply #58 on: July 06, 2012, 02:58:09 am »
why not go with
EVOLUTION

for your marquee it has a great sound to it or ring :D
and do it neo font :)

05SRT4

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 08:04:24 pm
  • Check out my Pow Pow
« Reply #59 on: July 06, 2012, 02:00:06 pm »
just watched the rotating vid!! :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :applaud:

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #60 on: July 17, 2012, 07:17:55 pm »
NovaMatrix LINX marquee light from groovygamegear:
(I wanted the light to eminate from a line down the center)

I explored a few different options for the air intake, but settled on having it in the bottom of the cab instead of the back.
Partly to keep light from entering through the fan, partly because I didn't want an area of dead air in the bottom of the cab that wasn't getting any airflow.  Since it would be sucking dust bunnies off the floor, it had to have a screen and be removeable.

It's held in place by a wingnut.

Power supply and motor drive mounted, new long lever microswitches installed.  The power supply is supposed to be 12v, but is putting out 14.4.
It's almost a waste to not be using it for an audio amplifier.  I may switch it out if I find a true 12v one that can handle the current for free.
The wire I used for the motor driver to the printer port was way thicker than it needed to be, but I already had spools of it and just happened to have all the same colors as the pigtail that came with the motor driver, plus two extra colors for the limit switches.  :)
I stuffed them inside 3/4" heat shrink to make them into a solid cable.

Final, final rotation mech assembly:

Pretty much self contained and has 4 cables coming off of it.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2012, 10:09:58 pm by BadMouth »

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #61 on: July 17, 2012, 07:41:42 pm »
Started painting the inside and back a little while back.
I had originally planned to use grill mesh for the back door, but I messed it up trying to cut it with a jigsaw.
Really need to buy an angle grinder.
So I just went with an open area for the sub and port, since the front speakers have no grills.

Speaker shroud finished and mounted.

I managed to poke a hole in one of the speaker surrounds when installing the speakers.  :angry:
It won't have much of an effect because it was one of the sealed back mids and they are pretty limited to upper midrange, but it still bothers me.

It's a bit premature, but I was in the painting mood and wanted to make progress.
Decided to do paint instead of full side art because it's cheap and easy to repair.
The artwork will probably be limited to a couple logos on each side and the Neo Geo coin arrows on the front.

This is just a WIP CP that isn't quite right in a few ways, but this is pretty much how it will look.
(ignore the thin board sticking out the front, it's just holding the panel behind the main cp up)
The white panel is a move list/instruction card holder.  The button layout for player 1 sucks in practice and will be changed to match Player 2.
The player 2 side is the same, but rotated left.  It feels great, but I still might adjust the bottom row a bit.

I'm sick of getting dust on everything again and again, so after the paint has a few days to cure, the cab will be moved upstairs and monitor installed.
The CP isn't done because I'm experiencing some feature creep and having to rethink the design to possibly include more controls.  ::)

The CP will also slide to the right so player one is centered when playing vertical shmups and classics.
When the CP is moved, usb inputs and some extra features will be revealed.  I have the sliding mech worked out,
but the mounting of the extra features is going to take a while to work out because it all has to be removeable and serviceable.
I'm also experimenting with the idea of having the CP slide a little in the other direction so moving it could be used to nudge in pinball games.
(even though I hadn't planned on installing pinball games...... damn feature creep!)
« Last Edit: July 17, 2012, 10:14:02 pm by BadMouth »

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 08:00:17 pm
  • <insert personal text here>
« Reply #62 on: July 17, 2012, 07:46:57 pm »
That is one damn sexy rotation mech you've got setup there  :applaud:

Hat's off to you. 

Nephasth

« Reply #63 on: July 17, 2012, 07:56:15 pm »
Looks great inside and out! Love your attention to detail! :cheers:

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #64 on: July 17, 2012, 10:07:04 pm »
That is one damn sexy rotation mech you've got setup there  :applaud:

Hat's off to you. 

Looks great inside and out! Love your attention to detail! :cheers:

Thanks guys. 

Part of the feature creep has cleared customs (luckily  >:D ) and should arrive in the next few days.

gbeef

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 22, 2018, 03:32:26 pm
    • arcadepix.com
« Reply #65 on: July 22, 2012, 12:38:57 pm »
Wow looking good those lights are pretty fancy. What kinda power to they run on? PC?

My cabs
4 Player Arcade
X-men Arcade Remixed
My Pin Cab Attack of the PINZ cab
My Racing Cabinet Cab [URL=http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=

SNAAKE

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 11, 2024, 12:21:50 pm
  • my joystick is bigger than your joystick !
« Reply #66 on: July 22, 2012, 02:01:04 pm »
lookin good :cheers:

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #67 on: July 22, 2012, 06:37:06 pm »
lookin good :cheers:

Thanks!

Wow looking good those lights are pretty fancy. What kinda power to they run on? PC?

Yep, 12v.  Randy includes a molex plug to run them off the PC power supply.

Haven't made any progress this weekend.  :'(

These came in toward the end of the week, but I don't have them working yet.

Walther P99 replica wii controllers ordered from amazon.de

I'm starting with wiimouse and if I can't get them working with that I'll move onto glovepie.
I'm hoping the problem is my ancient bluetooth adapter and not the 3rd party controllers themselves.
The "newest" driver for the bluetooth dongle is dated 2006,  :lol

I haven't seen anyone using them with a PC before.
I give myself a 50/50 chance of them working and not being horrible.
They are standard controllers and don't support wii motion plus,
but I didn't know anything about wii controllers when I ordered them.
Probably should have done more research first, .....but they look so cool.  8)

If I get them working with the PC, I'll post a full review and video.
The short version is that they look awesome, but make a plastic on plastic rattling sound when shaken.

There is other feature creep in the works as well.   ::)
Most likely the rest of the cabinet will be 100% complete before diving into the CP.
Not the best way to go about things, but I work on whatever I feel like at the time.

stuckpixel

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 15, 2016, 02:59:23 pm
« Reply #68 on: July 23, 2012, 07:48:33 am »
Most likely the rest of the cabinet will be 100% complete before diving into the CP.
Not the best way to go about things, but I work on whatever I feel like at the time.

You kidding? That's probably the _best_ way to do it. Everyone knows that as soon as you get the CP up and working, progress tends to grind to a halt.

This way, once you get that done, you're _DONE_ and get to enjoy the fruits of your labor.

Really digging this one, good work so far!

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #69 on: July 23, 2012, 10:46:29 am »
You kidding? That's probably the _best_ way to do it. Everyone knows that as soon as you get the CP up and working, progress tends to grind to a halt.

Right next to where I'm working on this, I have a separate setup consisting of a modified x-arcade tankstick and act labs guns that plays more games than this will,
so that rule doesn't necessarily apply to me.  :P

Still, playing the games on a rotated screen with killer sound is going to be a different experience and I can't wait.  ;D

DaOld Man

• Offline Offline
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
« Reply #70 on: July 26, 2012, 10:48:35 am »
Great work Badmouth!
The rotation method is fast and smooth, great job!
Did you try dynamic braking on the drive? That will stop the motor a lot faster.

Cant wait to see this baby on the finished block! (Looking forward to seeing what you do with the CP).

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #71 on: July 26, 2012, 12:20:38 pm »
Great work Badmouth!
The rotation method is fast and smooth, great job!
Did you try dynamic braking on the drive? That will stop the motor a lot faster.

Cant wait to see this baby on the finished block! (Looking forward to seeing what you do with the CP).

I haven't wired it up to the parallel port and made it move via mrotate yet.  I'm waiting until it is moved upstairs to install the monitor, coin door, sound amps, etc.
The power supply is putting out 14.4v instead of the 12 that I tested with, so it may move a bit faster.  Not sure I want it to, but we'll see how it goes.

This week was spent cleaning everything in my basement bar that was covered in mdf dust as a result of working on this thing down there.  :angry:
I have other obligations this weekend, so it will be next week before there is any progress.  :-\

DaOld Man

• Offline Offline
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
« Reply #72 on: July 26, 2012, 02:38:53 pm »
If your drive can handle PWM (Pulse Width Modulation), then you can slow the motor down quite easily with Mrotate.

DeLuSioNal29

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 20, 2023, 11:39:06 pm
  • Build the impossible -"There is no Spoon"
    • DeLuSioNaL's YouTube Videos
« Reply #73 on: July 26, 2012, 06:36:56 pm »
Great great documentation and progress!  Can't wait to see this to the end!

DeLuSioNaL29
Stop by my Youtube channel and leave a comment:

Seith

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 08, 2018, 10:50:41 am
« Reply #74 on: July 27, 2012, 09:10:35 am »
Really loving the attention to detail and methodical construction going on for this one!  It's going to look amazing when done, a tip of the hat to you sir.

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #75 on: August 13, 2012, 11:36:29 am »
Been a while since I posted some progress.  Not really much to show. 
Got the cab moved upstairs & made a bracket for the audio amplifiers.

Above the subwoofer amp is the amp for the main speakers.  Its power supply is mounted below.

The top amp is a little crooked and the screws I used to mount the power supply were too long.
Decided to let it slide since it's inside the cab.
This is what happens when I just want to make progress and don't have much time.  :-\

The inside is shaping up nicely.  PC components will be mounted on the door.

One of the reasons for the lack of progress on this is that my driving cab started getting the blue screen of death and had a few other issues that needed addressed just to get it back to normal.  I swapped in the ram from this build and the bsod went away.  Then I stuck the old ram from the driving cab in this build figuring I'd run some kind of memory test on it.  Not sure how I managed such a stupid thing, but didn't get the RAM seated properly....not even close as a matter of fact.  When I fired the pc up, the ram and chipset got super hot and the mobo fried.  As if that weren't bad enough, while swapping components around to make sure nothing else was fried, I discovered that the brand new power supply that I planned to use in in the cab was DOA.  It's under warranty, but will probably cost almost as much to ship as I paid for it.
So I have bad memory, mobo, & power supply.  ::)

---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- happens.

.....ordered another cheap $45 mobo and will scavenge the other parts from existing builds.
Eventually I plan to build a screamer of a pc for this, but not until the cab is done and turns out well enough to justify it.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 11:59:20 am by BadMouth »

Seith

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 08, 2018, 10:50:41 am
« Reply #76 on: August 13, 2012, 02:26:46 pm »
 :badmood: when it rains, it pours, doesn't it?

At least replacing all of those components won't be a huge fundsink.

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #77 on: October 16, 2012, 08:41:56 pm »
This progress was made a few weeks ago, but I'm regaining motivation for this project.
Now if I could just find a decent size block of free time.  :-\

Waited for a $20 case w/free shipping to pop up on newegg:

Chopped and painted flat black (I really need to get better tools for cutting metal)

I now regret putting an outlet on the inside of the cab as it took up valuable space on the panel.

Used anti-vibration mounts on the HD.  Not sure if they'll accomplish much.

Not much space left.  The edge of the video card is just touching the coin box.
I'm getting some weird very slight shaking in the video.  It's not noticeable in a game.  Usually only notice it on the straight lines of dialogue boxes on the desktop.  My guess is that it has something to do with the video card being next to all the electric connections, but I haven't troubleshooted yet.  With two 120mm fans in the bottom of the cab and another one on the CPU cooler, this thing blows like a house fan.  I'll probably add a fan controller to slow them down.

Also peeled the paper off my acrylic monitor bezel.  The local glass shop only had one shade lighter than what I wanted, but they charged me half of what I was expecting for it.  If there is a lot of ambient light in the room, you can see light reflecting off the shiny edges of the monitor, but I'm happy with it.  I like the room dim when I play.

The current big holdups are that I can't get the parallel port working in Vista for monitor rotation and I can't find time to work on the CP because it gets dark so soon in the evenings now.

There's also the feature creep.   Decided to make it more of a universal cab.  I'm skipping the guns for now.  Joysticks will have rotary added.  ;D
« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 08:45:04 pm by BadMouth »

TopJimmyCooks

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 01:18:39 pm
« Reply #78 on: October 16, 2012, 08:52:00 pm »
Get a cheap 4" grinder and some cut off wheels and you'll be cutting metal like a madman.  if you don't use it a lot harbor freight is fine.

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #79 on: November 04, 2012, 10:18:52 pm »
Get a cheap 4" grinder and some cut off wheels and you'll be cutting metal like a madman.  if you don't use it a lot harbor freight is fine.
Done.

I gave up on getting the parallel port working in Vista.  Even if I'd got it working, there were still a couple other issues with it to overcome and I'd probably be starting over from scratch if I built a new pc with Win7.
So I bought the same Pololu USB simple motor controller that TopJimmyCooks used.  Had it swapped in and working in a couple hours.
I highly recommend going that route.

Nearly all of my weekend was spent making Mala layouts while watching football.  :dizzy:

Part of how I envision this cab working relies heavily on gamelists.
It will have dedicated gamelist <> buttons.
Mala has the option to switch layouts based on gamelist.
I incorrectly thought I could also rotate the monitor based on gamelists, so the shmups and classics layout would be vertical while most others would be horizontal.  There's no option to do it that way, so I had to make a horizontal and vertical version of each layout.
I found it a bit disorienting for everything to be in a different place when Mala switched from horizontal to vertical and back.
.....so I made all my layouts square so they appear the same regardless of which way the monitor is turned and I only had to make one background.  :P
(I didn't want marquees shown because a lot of the newer games don't have them or they had toppers that don't look very good displayed.  Also all the Neo Geo games would have the same marqee)

I like some of them more than others.  The favorites one is still a WIP.
At any rate, I'm sick of working on them, so they're going to be used until I feel like making others.

I took a few days off work this week, so hopefully I'll make good progress on the CP.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2012, 10:25:35 pm by BadMouth »