Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: The Final Stage - (06-22-12: Project COMPLETE. Final pics in OP!)  (Read 15947 times)

RyoriNoTetsujin

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 23, 2024, 03:55:45 pm
The Final Stage - Arcade/Racing/Gun Hybrid (formerly "Occam's Racer" Version 2.0)
...or "A Manhattanite Makes a Mess"
...or "Chris finally does a proper build thread... ?"

To see the first attempt, take a look at this thread: http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=113185.0
EDIT 06-22-12: For final pictures, see this post!

"It'll do, for now..." Famous last words.

My first attempt at a multi-function arcade/console cab+driving/flying cockpit was/is a success... well, it is functional.  It works, and my construction skills have improved considerably, but in retrospect... the design is clumsy, stylistically devoid, and far from perfect.  After many hours of gameplay, I've found several items of criticism within my own design that I can't live with.  Most of the issues powering the re-design have to do with comfort and ergonomics. Some are omissions I didn't think of the first time around.  The rest have to do with an unforeseen change in circumstances from when I built the first attempt: I've moved in with my girlfriend.

My girlfriend is, to her credit, incredibly supportive of both my gaming and my need to have a project! In fact, she was the one who kickstarted this re-design. She was around for my previous, more "traditional", scratch-built cabinet "Quarter Heaven" - she knows full well how much I love the arcade "aesthetic" (for lack of a better word.) After we moved in together, she noticed my mounting frustration with some aspects of the current setup. She is also a naturally very well organized person, whereas I am most certainly not.  She is a great example of the phrase "a place for everything, and everything in its' place." That has rubbed off on me quite a bit, in a good way.  I had had some silent fantasies about a re-do, but it wasn't until she finally said "Why don't you just make it... better?" that I actually started entertaining the possibility.  She even encouraged me to go for a more visually impressive, arcade feel.  (She jokingly echoed my often-said "If you're going to do it, do it right.")  Well, once I heard *that* it was off to the races!

So I've been playing with Sketchup in my spare time for a month or so, just putting some new ideas in play.  In the past, I have done all of the work before bringing it to BYOAC - the result of which is a couple of nice kudos and a thread that disappears after a few days to no one's benefit.  I like to think that this project is a little different than a standard arcade cabinet, and I am certain it is the most ambitious project *I've* ever come up with.  Let's face it, I'm not Ond, drventure, Bender, Knievel, Pixel, etc. ... all great guys! But that's not the point. Like them, I just want to bring something more to the community, and I want to give myself an opportunity to document my own story. I want to show others who may have limited space, or resources, or time (or all of the above!) that they can still enjoy this facet of the hobby to the fullest.  There's always a way to get the job done, you just have to find it.  So, here we are.

EDIT 06-22-12: Since any further additions/changes will be tiny and cosmetic only, I'm calling this project DONE. Here's some "glamour shots" so you don't have to read the whole thread if you don't want to:

Flight/mech sim mode (with the monitor forward for comfort.)

Behind the monitor: HDMI splitter/selector and spare USB access on left. 5.1 channel amp on the right.

Whew!  :laugh2:  :cheers:
« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 04:25:16 pm by RyoriNoTetsujin »

RyoriNoTetsujin

• Offline Offline
Re: Occam's Racer, Version 2.0
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2012, 04:47:49 pm »
-------------
Overall Goals:
-------------

1. To have a multi-function base from which to play many types of video games.
2. To use a minimum of space.
3. To utillize that space as effectively as possible, while maintaining some semblance of style.
4. Classified.

(First one to get the reference gets an imaginary cookie. It's an easy one!)

-------------------
Improvement Goals:
-------------------

1. Ergonomics
   A. Wider base (minimum one shoe width to either side of pedals) OK
The old design doesn't allow for resting your feet to either side of the pedals. You must either bend your knees, or drop your feet to either side of the base.  A wider base will correct both of these issues.

B. Angled and elevated pedal base OK
I'd like to see the pedals at a more realistic angle and height for driving - more akin to a supercar than a minivan.

C. Steering wheel depth/height(?) adjust. Depth=OK
One of the problems that came up when other people finally used the cockpit.  Even with the moving seat, there still needs to be additional adjustability for the driving controls to accomodate different proportions.

D. Remove knee obstacles(!!)
   These are the two most egregious problems with my current design.
   Problem 1: The g27 wheel has these clamps underneath it that often catch me right in the kneecap when I'm trying to get out of the seat.  They've got to go. OK
   Problem 2: I don't know what I was thinking with the arcade pedestal and not leaving an allowance for knees under the CP itself. Just a bonehead mistake, but thankfully it will be easily and permanently corrected with a total redesign. OK

E. Monitor articulation. OK
   The monitor position is great for some games, less so for others, and even less so for regular day-to-day computing (which I also often do with this setup.) I want it a few inches closer to the player, at the very least.  An articulating arm will solve all of this by making it adjustable, while also giving me monitor rotation (if I want it) and the ability to utilize the space BEHIND the screen (see the Design itself for more.) http://www.amazon.com/VideoSecu-Articulating-Bracket-Post-installation-Leveling/dp/B000WYVBR0/ref=sr_1_5?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1327981354&sr=1-5

F. Cup Holder. OK
   Yeah. It's got to happen. Can't believe I never got to it before.

2. Gameplay Functionality
   A. Add: Monitor articulation/adjustability. (see above)      

B. Add: Incorporate PS3 into design. OK
   Another one of those bonehead mistakes.  I knew that I was going to want to use the PS3 with the base unit, but I never gave it a place to live within the design.  Even more important now that the PS3 is regularly running to two different locations (the cab base, and our regular TV on the other side of the living room.)

C. Add: Incorporate center sound channel and surrounds. OK
   A nicety I didn't allow myself with the previous design.  I think I've found a way to get all 5.1 back in the mix. (Spring clamp device on seat-belt wells???)

D. Add: new GPU Still Pending
   Problem 1: right-angle PCIe! (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816129055)
   Problem 2: noise cancellation
   I'd love to add a discreet, relatively cheap GPU to the setup, primarily to get PS2 emulation running full speed (the built-in GPU in the i5-2500k handles most everything but some of the Namco fighters that I really like.) There are a couple of inherent challenges here: the first being that, because the mini-ITX motherboard is so small, and my CPU heatsink is so big, the heatsink actually covers the PCIe slot!! I think a right-angle bracket will solve that issue, but I'm not 100% certain.  Also, there is the question of noise reduction/cancelling (it's been a while since I bought a graphics card, I don't know how loud they get these days.)

E. Add: Guns (Aimtraks ordered 04-01-12 - RECIEVED 04-04-12!) OK
   Problem 1: Incorporate sensor bar into design.
   Problem 2: Include in "storage space"
   The sensor bar isn't really a problem per se, I just don't want to forget it.

F. Add: Time Crisis Pedal (Spare RB drum pedal - Done 04-01-12) OK
   Problem 1: Incorporate into "storage space"
   This was entirely too easy. I bought a couple of 3.5mm female jacks at Radio Shack and wired one to my iPac4. Plugged in a spare RB drum pedal and viola, instant Time Crisis pedal. Worked the first time, just have to clean up the package. I wonder what else I can use this for... (Photos coming soon.)

3. Style, Other functionality, GF-factor.
   A. Proper cable concealment/routing on base unit. (Driving Controls, PC, etc.) OK

B. Proper storage for all accessories. OK
   I got lucky here: because the shelf where the pedals are installed is raised up from the floor, there's significant room underneath to store all of the smaller accessories (guns, controllers, etc.) I'll be routing a USB hub and a PS/2 extension cable down to this area as well. (04-12-12)

C. Speed up conversion between Driving and Arcade modes
   Problem 1: Keep Driving controls attached to base at all times. OK
   (04-12-12) In order for this to work, the shifter module has to also fit on the steering column. My compromise here was to give the wheel the ability to change position left/right as well as forward/back, so that it could move over just enough to mount the shifter module next to it when not actively playing a driving game.
   Problem 2: Incorporate Subwoofer into "semi-permanent" placement in design. OK
   (04-12-12) In the original design, the sub was under the driver's seat. A great position... until you move the driver's seat out of the way. The sub ended up in various places before I finally got fed up with moving it around.  Thanks again to my pedal unit, there's just enough room in the back of the cab to have the sub in a place where it's unlikely to move. It's not strictly "built into" the cab, but it's stablized and out of the general way.  I'm even thinking about cutting a few vents in the pedal shelving, so you can feel the sub firing directly up at your feet.  ;D

D. Minimize or eliminate manual cable switching (PC/PS3/TV) (Rec'd 04-24-2012)
   1. 4x2 or 1x2 HDMI switch (Amazon/Newegg) OK
   http://www.amazon.com/ViewHD-Premium-Digital-Surround-versatile/dp/B0031SWDKI/ref=sr_1_6?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1332859220&sr=1-6
      2. PS/2 Extension Cable (to lower storage) OK
   http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-6-Feet-Keyboard-Mouse-Extension/dp/B000067SLU
  EDIT: Actually purchased and rec'd device and cables located here.

E. Style Improvements:
slightly more arcade feel, less boxy, less driving-centric but more car-like.
Soft-arc/circle design
Top marquee/wing
Better paint job
OK

F. Do a barrel roll ... an actual build thread!
   Ohai!

G. Change the name? OK (EDIT: 05-21-12)
   It finally came to me - The Final Stage.  Yes, I loved Occam's Racer. It was a moment of brilliance and it stuck. That said, this new design is not at all simple. And may will also have a marquee. Can I rightfully keep the name? I'm not certain... waiting on inspiration for this one...

-----------
Challenges:
-----------
Keeping parts "stock."
If I can avoid it at all, I'd like to not have to modify the various pieces of the g27 wheel to get this all to work out.  I think I will have to remove the clamps from the main wheel, but I hope that's all I will need to do...

"Handy Panels"
This is already was my first big snag.  In starting the re-design, I wanted to minimize the amount of wood stock I used, as well as keeping it down to manageable sizes (I don't have a vehicle, so transporting a 4x8 sheet is a challenge all its' own!)  As a solution I thought I would utilize the 2'x4' "handy panel" sheets of plywood I see at the local Home Depot (if by local, you mean Midtown Manhattan...)  I started the design with a standardized inside width of 2' i.e. everything between the side profiles would be 24" or less. Thus making the final product only 25.5" wide, and after further work on the design, exactly 24" deep.

Problem is, once you take a tape measure to those handy panels, you find that not a single one of them is actually 2'x4'. They're a 1/8" off, sometimes more than a 1/4" off on one dimension or the other, plus or minus. Not very handy if you're looking for tight carpentry like I am.

(EDIT 04-20-12: HUZZAH for NY Hardware House!)

Space to do the dirty work?
Especially considering the above issue, this may be my biggest obstacle.  I can't just cut plywood in my apartment this time... that was a DUMB idea in the first place, and precisely where the GF drew the line!  The ground rules are essentially this:
   1. Woodworking? Not in the apartment.
   2. Sanding? Not in the apartment.
   3.  Assembly of finished pieces? Yes.
   4. Storage of unfinished stock? Yes, as long as it doesn't sit too long. (04-12-12)
   5. Priming/Painting? Yes. (She even offered to help with that!)

A fair balance, I think. But where do I go?  I don't currently have access to the back alley of this new building I live in, and the side alley is cramped enough that I won't be able to make it work if the first steps involve breaking down a couple of full sheets of plywood. I may have to rent some space from my old employer to get the initial sheet stock broken down, but then the question is how do I get the wood there without paying an arm and a leg for delivery? And if I don't get it processed down into manageable pieces before I run out of time in the rental space... how do I get it home?  

"Tomorrow is my day off."
« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 06:23:31 pm by RyoriNoTetsujin »

RyoriNoTetsujin

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2012, 04:48:52 pm »
Before we look at the design process, lemme show you how the setup currently looks (04-05-12). I warn you now, it ain't pretty:

You'll notice I've added a couple of Dr. Moreau-esque appendages. One is a shelf for the PS3 to reside on...

This, despite appearance, is quite stable thanks to the combination of pocket screws and wood glue.  I've also added a shelf to angle the pedal base to approximately 10 degrees, and raise it up about an inch in height:

The front edge of the pedals just touches the carpet. This was just me prototyping for what is to come. You'll notice the sort of random wiring that's strewn about. If you haven't read the wall of text above (and I don't blame you! LOL) that's one of the many little nuisances I plan on removing.

On to my favorite part: The Design.

Here's a pic of a couple sketches I did, 1/12 scale (there were more but I can't seem to find them now...)

I knew immediately that I want the cab itself to be no more than 2 feet deep, 2 feet wide (plus or minus), and 5 feet tall (preferrably LESS.) But with the sketches, I wanted to throw out the most ridiculous, limit-pushing things I could think of, so that I could pare back when I got to Sketchup. I also focused on the profile, because I knew with the amount of shifting around I was going to have to do with components there was no point in trying to render them here.  That said, in that right sketch, perhaps you can already see my plan for an articulating arm for the steering wheel...

Here's a couple of early Sketchup model pics:

I CANNOT recommend Sketchup enough for people who want to tinker in this hobby. Seriously, an invaluable tool, I've used it for all of my projects and wouldn't have been able to do them without it.  Learn it.  As you'll see, I tend to make my cab sides transparent so that I can look ahead for possible construction challenges.

In these earlier pics, I was still working with the idea of only using "handy panels" from Home Depot.  You'll also see I was tinkering with a second monitor atop the main one... that idea didn't last long...

Here are the two cabs side by side, and another reason to love Sketchup: As well as model pieces, such as the monitor, the pedals, etc., ... I can copy over dimensions and thereby replicate ergonomics easily.  And for those ergonomic issues that didn't work, I can easily change them.

From the back here you can also see I've moved the PC case portion of the cab up behind the monitor, and given it a lot more room.  I plan on using that space for a lot of things.

And here's one more shot, with the cab sides filled in. It wasn't very exciting at this point, and once I realized I wasn't going to use the handy panels, I gave in a little to the original sketches and here's where the design is currently (04-05-12):

So this is a lot more fun. I'm enjoying the marquee area (even though I currently have NO IDEA how I'm going to do it) and I've thrown in some of the black/red scheme to get a feel for it.  The arm mechanism for the g27 wheel is in its' Down position here. 

Here's the profile from the other side, with the arm in its' Up position, no black (with all of my gridlines still in place):

I work with rudimentary square/rectangle shapes made partially transparent until I decide on a final profile for the piece. In this case, the "white" that you see is what will be real when cut.  The grid/guidelines on the cab side piece are what I'll use to map out the actual cuts when I get to wood.

This next pic removes a side wall altogether so you can see what's going on inside:

I'll get into more detail about everything as we go along, but that big black box on the bottom is a subwoofer. And yes, there's a lot of empty space on the upper interior right now. Don't worry, it's going to get filled, I just haven't mocked-up everything yet.

More updating to come soon (I hope!) In the meantime, does anyone know of a place I could post the .skp file in case people want to really look at this?
« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 10:03:16 pm by RyoriNoTetsujin »

Donkbaca

• Our reptillian overlords would be pleased
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 09, 2012, 06:28:10 pm
    • Slim built MAME/Xbox cab
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2012, 05:00:41 pm »
* Reserved* for possible future positive and or negative comments

RyoriNoTetsujin

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2012, 05:07:43 pm »
* Reserved* for possible future positive and or negative comments

Nice. Well played, Donkbaca ... well played. I haven't even started yet... :laugh2: :cheers:

TopJimmyCooks

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 01:18:39 pm
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2012, 10:52:03 am »
Comment:

[Classified]

RyoriNoTetsujin

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2012, 08:43:39 am »
Ok, I tried to do this last night and accidentally wiped out the whole post.  After a good night's sleep, here's a couple of other things that are progressing as I continue to fiddle with the Sketchup design...

First, on the right are a couple of one-off USB SNES controllers I got from Amazon here. They'll be used for console emulation, and 3rd and 4th players -- should that ever actually happen (it hasn't before.)  On the left is an actual SNES controller I bought at a street-side flea market last weekend. I've cleaned it up and replaced the internal rubber bits with parts from these guys here.  If you've never seen their site, it's pretty impressive. I'm going to convert the SNES pad to USB, and that one will get carried around with my Android tablet...  ;D

What's in the box?

Ultimarc delivers yet again with a couple of 2-button joys (for a future dual-joy project) ...

And two Aimtraks!

SWEET.  >:D >:D >:D

I have to say, now that I've held one in my hand and had a chance to play a few games with it, I know I went the right way just buying the pre-assembled guns. These would be a steal at a slightly lower price (say $75) but I'm willing to pay a little more for quality. You do have to sit a bit away from the screen, but I'm quite happy with the accuracy once they're calibrated properly! So far, I can honestly say I'm very happy with the purchase!

Also received the articulating mount, again from Amazon here:

There will be more pics of this as the build progresses, but right now I will say this: holy ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- on a cracker this thing is HEAVY. I'm fairly sure it weighs more than my 27" monitor!

All right, back to the Sketchup... more to come later this weekend, I hope!

RyoriNoTetsujin

• Offline Offline
Occam's Racer, Version 2.0 (Updated 04-12-12) Design Finalized.
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2012, 09:10:45 am »
I've done just about all I can with the design at this point.  The things still left to figure out:

1. The marquee (both artwork, and just how exactly I'm going to get that center channel exposed)
2. How exactly I will get the steering wheel depth adjustment to work.
3. Finalizing PC component layout.
4. Internal cable routing. (You can't see it from the following pics, but I have been careful to give myself concealed channel space in the back of the cab.  I'm talking about the details of where to drill ports internally, etc.)

Anyway, here's some pics:

And one last one, in the red/black color scheme: 

I've already set up my cut layout (another massive benefit of Sketchup!) and I've got plenty of room to get this done in 2 sheets of plywood.  I'm thinking I'm going to hit Home Depot today and pick up a circ saw and a 1/2" handy panel of MDF so I can build a saw-board.  At this point, I still don't know exactly when or where I'm going to get to start breaking down the sheet stock, but I'm hoping to have the whole thing done by Memorial Day at the latest.  I'd kinda like to get it started this weekend as I have the whole weekend off for the first time in months, but that may be rushing a bit...

Woodshop Flunky

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 20, 2017, 05:24:57 am
Re: Occam's Racer, Version 2.0 (Updated 04-12-12) Design Finalized.
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2012, 11:44:22 am »
I really like this design!  :applaud:

Complete mini arcade cabinet plans available.

Namco

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 23, 2024, 10:42:30 pm
  • Now addicted to Williams pins... all of them.
    • Freddo Mame Project
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2012, 01:25:33 pm »
Excellent design and planning. You're starting to inspire me to make my own driving setup. I've been kicking around some ideas in my head. I've recently discovered the wonders of sketchup myself. I even had the same idea of using handy panels since I don't have a truck to haul 4x8 sheets, thank you for enlightening me about the problem with those.

Good luck with this one. I'll be keeping up with your progress!  :applaud:

RyoriNoTetsujin

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2012, 07:02:27 pm »
I really like this design!  :applaud:

Thanks man! I don't think its' going to be as artistically/visually appealing as the Ace (don't think I'm gonna win any awards!  :laugh2:  ;)) but we'll see what I do with the artwork once I've settled on the name/thematic elements that seem to be eluding me...

Excellent design and planning. You're starting to inspire me to make my own driving setup. I've been kicking around some ideas in my head. I've recently discovered the wonders of sketchup myself. I even had the same idea of using handy panels since I don't have a truck to haul 4x8 sheets, thank you for enlightening me about the problem with those.

Good luck with this one. I'll be keeping up with your progress!  :applaud:

Namco, three words for you: GO FOR IT! ;D I love having the flexibility to play what I want, when I want. Even if you go real simple the first time out... you can always take another shot at it later!

The handy panel issue can be dealt with, it just requires more fiddling than I really wanted to do once I discovered the little discrepancies. I think it presents a really intriguing design challenge - one I admit I totally gave up on!

As it stands, I got no joy at HD today, they didn't have the circ I wanted in stock. May have to just order it online... bleargh.  :'(

Anybody got any ideas for name/theme?  My brain is awash in blades, arcs, edges, swords, razors, steel, grilles... but nothing stands out. My zanpakuto refuses to tell me its' name, damnit! LOL.

gbeef

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 22, 2018, 03:32:26 pm
    • arcadepix.com
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2012, 03:08:48 pm »
Very nice work so far. alot of hard work invested into this already

My cabs
4 Player Arcade
X-men Arcade Remixed
My Pin Cab Attack of the PINZ cab
My Racing Cabinet Cab [URL=http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=

RyoriNoTetsujin

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2012, 03:08:03 pm »
Very nice work so far. alot of hard work invested into this already

Thanks gbeef. We'll see how it turns out!

Was fiddling with the Sketchup file this morning, actually. Ended up making a minor change to the internals (not worth showing) - I think I'm going to put the mobo, hard drives, and gpu (if there ever is one) on a removable shelf unit. I've seen it done in other cabs and I think it could be really useful for occasional cleaning/upgrades etc.  If I don't do that, once the PC components are in, it's a REALLY tight fit for me to do anything in there without having to break the whole thing down piece by piece.  This way, I can set it up, run cables, etc., then drop the whole thing in the cab.

Also just ordered the HDMI splitter, along with the PS/2 extension and some smallish (1.5ft.) HDMI cables, from Monoprice rather than Amazon. Linky here.

Actual physical build looks like it will start April 28th. A buddy of mine has graciously given me use his driveway in NJ to do the initial breakdown of the 4x8' sheet stock. Will probably take a few hours at most. The harder part is going to be getting the lumber and getting it to his place for the day... still working on that.  In the meantime, I've still got a saw to buy and saw-boards to make this Thursday.

RyoriNoTetsujin

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2012, 01:21:31 pm »
In what I hope will be an incredible stroke of luck, earlier today I came across a place known as the NY Hardware House up in the Bronx. They're a lumber/hardware/paint store roughly analogous to Home Depot, but smaller and locally owned.  Had a talk with the guy there and not only do they sell full sheets of 3/4" AA face birch plywood, but they're willing to do straight cuts, to size, for a couple of bucks a cut!

I gave him my specifications, (showed him the design, and the look he gave me was PRICELESS) he said they'd have no problem doing it, and it will be ready later today.  If all goes well, I'll post pictures once I get it home.  I'm in Inwood, Manhattan, so it's going to be a walk, but I have a solid handtruck, some bungee, the day off, and it's a gorgeous day outside!

This project may have just been significantly accelerated!  :burgerking:

Also, I think I've come up with a new name: Occam's Sabre...  I'm really liking that...

RyoriNoTetsujin

• Offline Offline
Re: Occam's Racer, Version 2.0 (Updated 04-19-12) Wood? New Name?
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2012, 10:01:38 am »
The things we do for our hobby.  Turns out NY Hardware House made very good on their promise; with one small exception (that's still workable) all of their cuts were exactly to my specs.  The wood stock itself is also a very nice, smooth finish - as I mentioned, A-face on BOTH sides, so painting it will probably be a breeze.  Total price for 2 4'x8' sheets, cuts and tax included: $97.97.  Not bad at all.  That said, I walked about 30 blocks with this:

Got my workout for the day.

Got everything inside, and realized I needed to get that taller panel (intended for the cabinet sides) split in half so I could start mapping out the cabinet profile.  To The Workshop...  !

... also known as the alley alongside my building.  w00t! :afro:  One simple rough-cut later...

... and I'm ready to start mapping out the profile. Before that, though, I had to go downtown to HD to get a 1/2" handy panel of MDF to build my saw-board. Once I finally got home with that, I was too damn tired to bother with it, so I started drawing on the profile.

Detail of the marquee area:

Right now I'm hand-drawing the larger curves, but if anyone has a better way to do that PLEASE FEEL FREE to speak up!! I mean, I'll get it the way I want it eventually, but there must be an easier way.

I might get to the saw-board before work today, I might not.  It's supposed to rain this weekend, so there probably won't be much more real progress until next week.

jkdubb

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 17, 2024, 11:28:50 am
Re: Occam's Sabre(?) Racer/Arcade v2.0 - Updated 04-20-12: Wood!
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2012, 01:46:47 pm »
Looks good. :) Here is how I would draw large curves.

String and a nail or two to get different arcs.

mcseforsale

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 09, 2024, 03:07:41 pm
  • Creepy Mario Dude
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2012, 01:56:49 pm »
I always find stuff that emulates the curves I need.  Spraypaint cap...CD...wife's shampoo bottle...quarter,dime,nickel,penny...whatever.

AJ

quintinbiker

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 27, 2012, 12:47:18 am
  • Go big or go home
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2012, 02:28:39 pm »
Quintin Lourens likes this.
Life is your game
How you win determines your score
How you loose determines your credits
But to play the game you have to have real credits.

That's why I'm
GAME OVER
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
LIVE TO RIDE
RIDE TO LIVE
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Biker born, Biker Bread, When I Die I'm Biker Dead
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Woodshop Flunky

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 20, 2017, 05:24:57 am
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2012, 07:19:41 pm »

Right now I'm hand-drawing the larger curves, but if anyone has a better way to do that PLEASE FEEL FREE to speak up!! I mean, I'll get it the way I want it eventually, but there must be an easier way.

I use a beam compass for large curves.  You can make a DIY one pretty simple...

Pencils on a string always mess me up...
  1. I have trouble getting an exact radius.
  2. The pencil always seems to twist as I'm drawing the curve.

Complete mini arcade cabinet plans available.

RyoriNoTetsujin

• Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2012, 11:45:16 pm »
Thanks for the ideas guys! I may have to build that beam compass just for fun. (Level 3 Super Combo: "COMPASS... BEEEAAAAM!!!")

The smaller curves I'm cool with using either my little compass, or whatever is lying around and fits, it's the larger ones that are a challenge. Thankfully there are only the 3 of those.

As soon as I saw that pencil-on-a-string pic I was reminded that there's a formula for determining the radius of a circle by a chord length and associated arc height. Consequently, I found this kickass website to demonstrate what I'm looking for: http://www.mathopenref.com/arcradius.html

After boring maths:

The lower front arc (down by the base) requires an ~11in. radius... easy enough...  :)

The upper back arc (from the top of cab to the back) is a shade above 2 feet radius ... workable...  :-\

The upper front arc (starting behind the monitor and intersecting the lower front arc), on the other hand, is from an approximately 5 foot radius circle!  :o

The gf says she's got some button thread that doesn't stretch in her kit (she quilts) so she and I are going to mark that out sometime this weekend. Again, with the rain supposedly coming, there may not be opportunity to do much else...

... with the project, I mean. :cheers: :burgerking:

RyoriNoTetsujin

• Offline Offline
 :badmood:  Sorry for the lack of updates, folks. (all two or three of you that have been reading. No Mom, I love you, but you don't count!) The weather over the last few days was indeed crappy, and I've been pretty beat up from work on top of that, so there's not much to say:

I'm tired of the whole "Occam" naming convention. It's got to go. Why? It takes too long to explain to people! It was a clever pun the first time, but expanding on it just doesn't work. Must come up with an easier name, preferably one without "-cade" as a suffix... no offense to anyone who has a Cade of some sort!  Suggestions welcome...

I did manage to bang out the saw-board before the rain came, but I still haven't finished mapping out the side profiles yet.  (P.S.: Like AIDS, MDF dust is real, kids. Protect yourself.)

I also received the HDMI splitter/switch from Monoprice and tested it out last night. HDMI handshake doesn't always work smoothly, but I think that's more to do with how my TV and monitor behave than the switch. All in all, another piece of the puzzle, and worth the price I paid.

Tomorrow is my day off, so I am hopeful that I'll finally get some of the panels cut.  However, I also have to wait around inside for UPS to bring our new TV stand, so who knows? At the very least I should be able to finish the side profiles and organize my assembly checklist while I wait.  First thing I'm doing is sleeping in...

mcseforsale

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 09, 2024, 03:07:41 pm
  • Creepy Mario Dude
There's no way in hell I would live in a city.  I just have too much crap!  Hats off to ya.

Mine was also not a -cade.  I basically created a note on my iphone and whenever I saw something or thought of a word, I'd write it down.  This went on for about a week.  One night I was working on something and I decided to take out the note and write it down on paper...

My fave color is blue.  My fave franchise is The Matrix.  I guess the exercise of writing down the words made something click.

Hence...The Blue Pill (Morpheus Lied)...

If the occam's razor stuff is still in yer mind, how about a hidden plaque inside the cab?  Or maybe "Occam's Amusements" stickers on the coin doors?

AJ

Unstupid

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 08, 2021, 08:46:34 am
I'm tired of the whole "Occam" naming convention. It's got to go. Why? It takes too long to explain to people! It was a clever pun the first time, but expanding on it just doesn't work. Must come up with an easier name, preferably one without "-cade" as a suffix... no offense to anyone who has a Cade of some sort!  Suggestions welcome...

For a racing cab you can suffix it with "-sim"... short for simulator.   ;)

lordnacho

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 21, 2023, 07:38:14 pm
Fellow NY-er following.  I'm jealous that you have a workspace outside.  I'm about to do some routing in my kitchen...when my wife is at work.  Must clean all dust before she returns.

RyoriNoTetsujin

• Offline Offline
For a racing cab you can suffix it with "-sim"... short for simulator.   ;)

Truth be told, for one brief moment I thought about calling it "The Scimitar" (SIM-itar, ya know?) ... but that name didn't stick for me.

I felt like, well ---steaming pile of meadow muffin---, if I'm going to go there, I might as well call it ... "The SIM-it-AR-CADE!"

Uhhh... no.

Fellow NY-er following.  I'm jealous that you have a workspace outside.  I'm about to do some routing in my kitchen...when my wife is at work.  Must clean all dust before she returns.

Did that when I finished the control panel and my gf was out of town (too cold to do it outside back in January.) Be especially careful if you're doing plexi... we kept finding little shards of it around the kitchen floor for about a week after, despite my best sweeping and vacuuming efforts ... I'm glad she's understanding.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 06:08:25 pm by RyoriNoTetsujin »

TheShaner

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 23, 2017, 10:42:25 pm
  • Shut your noise tube filthy Taco Human!
Fellow NY-er following.  I'm jealous that you have a workspace outside.  I'm about to do some routing in my kitchen...when my wife is at work.  Must clean all dust before she returns.

Man, don't even try cutting or routing that MDF inside.  No matter how good you clean, there will be dust in the house for life.

lordnacho

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 21, 2023, 07:38:14 pm
Even just one joystick recess?

RyoriNoTetsujin

• Offline Offline
Even just one joystick recess?

Honestly, given my first experience cutting MDF (for the sawboard I made on Saturday) ... yeah, TheShaner tells the truth.  It is a very fine, very sticky dust that will coat anything and everything. 

More importantly -- and you probably already know this, but still -- you shouldn't cut MDF without proper ventilation and some kind of face mask. Even one of the cheap paper ones are better than nothing (that's all I had).  Breath that crap and it will stay with you for a while.

I was outside (in The Workshop!), with a mask on, and I and all the tools I had out there with me had a nice little patina of MDF dust afterward.  I had to strip in the entrance foyer before my gf would let me walk through the living room. True story.  :cheers:

RyoriNoTetsujin

• Offline Offline
Weather was decent yesterday, and I got off work early, so I managed to make some cuts.  No pictures though, for two reasons:

1. They wouldn't be that interesting right now anyway. Bunch of planks of wood, basically.
2. Did I mention that my whole apartment is wired to a single 15amp fuse?

... yeah.  :banghead:  :banghead:

I forgot to mention that earlier because I hadn't really thought about it until I set up (in The Workshop!) to make the first cuts. So yeah, the whole ---smurfing--- thing is on one 15amp fuse ... not breaker, old-school FUSE... including the fridge.  I have a 13amp circ saw, the fridge compressor bumps up to 8 or 9 amps when it kicks on, you do the math...

Rather than play Russian Roulette with the lone fuse, I decided to unplug the fridge while using the circ.  So I was working on a timer, and I couldn't bring myself to go longer than an hour and a half before I had to plug it back in.

Wait, let me get one more of these in.  :banghead:  Ah. That's better.

I managed to break down the two "scrap" (i.e. not quite 2'x4') panels before I gave it up.  Then my buddy came over (gf was out running errands) and helped me finally get those arcs drawn down on the side profiles. Hooray for the pencil on a string trick!  I will get some pics of that before I start cutting them out, but I want to finish the basic circ saw work first and get it out of the way -- I'll feel more comfortable about taking my time and taking some pics!

Here, so I don't leave this post completely bare, before I go I'll post the pics of my cut layouts. For each 4'x8' sheet, I've currently "rough" processed the 2 rightmost columns, and the two cab sides. (For those of you wondering, I allowed for 1/4" between each piece. Plenty of room, even if I have to resort to using the router to rough out the pieces.)

Next update... Tuesday, if we're lucky?  Thursday is my next day off, but it's also my gf's birthday so she has me for the evening.  ;)

DaOld Man

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 13, 2023, 12:03:14 am
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
Your cab is coming along nicely.
I feel for your house being on one 15 amp fuse. Havent seen that in a long time, is it an old house?
Good advice about cutting MDF. I would never cut that stuff inside the house.

RyoriNoTetsujin

• Offline Offline
... Havent seen that in a long time, is it an old house?

"Pre-war" building like most in the neighborhood. Probably built in the '20's.  Given how strict NYC is, it's probably up to current code, but I can almost guarantee they did it in the cheapest way possible.

For example: to get around the fact that you now have to have GFCI outlets in a bathroom, they didn't install ANY power outlets in the bathroom!

:dunno

RyoriNoTetsujin

• Offline Offline
Re: Unnamed Multi-Gaming Thing - Update 05-07-12: Putting in work...
« Reply #31 on: May 07, 2012, 10:12:36 am »
After what felt like an eternity of days that looked like this...

and a watered down workshop:

I finally got a day off, and enough good weather yesterday to do some work that actually makes me feel like this project is rolling again!  :woot

To get everyone up to speed, on Thursday afternoon I was able to finish all the rough/straight cuts with my circ saw.  I was taking a risk weather-wise, but I mananged to get everything done and back inside before we saw any rain.  No pictures of that process, obviously.  For Sunday, my plan had been to just draw out and start cutting detail cuts (the arm pieces, the new control panel base, etc.)

And here's a pic of what *will be* the hole layout of the outer portion of the articulating arm (this will all make sense soon, I promise!)

So I started (and finished) doing those detail cuts, and created their twins using my router and a template bit.  At that point, it was only about noon.  Since I had time, I took a break for a quick sandwich, came back out and cut out the first cabinet side! I'm incredibly pleased with how it turned out!

One very slow and cautious template cut later, and BOTH sides were done:

With both sides finally cut, it dawned on me that I had already finished all the pieces I had that also needed routing for t-molding.  I was feeling pretty gung-ho about the whole thing at this point, and I had the router out already, so I went for it!

After that was done (probably another 2 hours? I HATE t-slot routing... you have to be really careful!) I was exhausted, but I had another realization. Now that the slots were cut, I could assemble the new CP base.  I know it's not really ready for use, but I wanted to see something standing, damnit!   :laugh2: 

So I jigged up those pieces with my Kreg Jig:

... and put that thing together!

Cleaning up for the day:

So now I have a pile of scrap, a pile of detailed cut pieces, and a pile of straight panels, plus another pile of panels not pictured!  The control panel base is done and the cabinet sides are just about ready for assembly - gotta drill and install the threaded inserts that will hold the steering wheel arms.  I've got a few more non-curved detail cuts to do, but it's looking like this thing may in fact be up on its' feet on Thursday, weather permitting!   :cheers:

RyoriNoTetsujin

• Offline Offline
Re: SUPER MAMEOLIX SIMCADE 2!! - (Update 05-10-12)
« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2012, 09:44:09 pm »
Super Mameolix SimCade 2: Fighting Dream Match of Aged Fighting Heroes for a New Millenium... of Fighting!

So, I got some work done today. One of the steering wheel arms is slightly off, needs adjustment. The lid at the pedal base needs to be sanded down a bit, it's too tight a fit right now. Gotta cut the jig knobs down so they actually work as clamps.  Working on the monitor mount tomorrow too, hopefully.

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:02:53 am
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2012, 09:54:42 pm »
Still think 'Occam's Racer' was the best name.  :D
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

P-chan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 13, 2022, 12:39:40 am
« Reply #34 on: May 11, 2012, 12:28:45 am »
I bought and just received that wall mount that you have pictured (strangely enough, I also have the exact same jigsaw), have you messed with the wall mount yet?  It had good reviews on Amazon.  I have a pedestal and I'm mounting the TV onto the wall in front.  The TV has been ordered and is on the way.

RyoriNoTetsujin

• Offline Offline
« Reply #35 on: May 11, 2012, 09:05:45 am »
I bought and just received that wall mount that you have pictured (strangely enough, I also have the exact same jigsaw), have you messed with the wall mount yet?  It had good reviews on Amazon.  I have a pedestal and I'm mounting the TV onto the wall in front.  The TV has been ordered and is on the way.

It's pretty heavy duty, solid construction. The actual mounting bracket (the part that goes to the wall) appears to be ~2" off-center from where the monitor's center point is. 

I'm about to work on installing it this morning, I'll let you know how it turns out.

RyoriNoTetsujin

• Offline Offline
Since folks didn't seem to care about my "timeline" style of blogging this project, I'm going to just post more pics as we go.

Most of the assembly is done now. Took me three tries to get one of the clamping knobs to line up right on the steering wheel mount, but I got it all together finally.  It's a good thing I got it done on that third try too, I broke my 2 spare threaded inserts in the process.

Going back to P-chan's question; the monitor mount is pretty great. The movement action is very smooth and it doesn't make any sound (at least, not yet.)

Hooked up the PS3 to play some GT5 and I'm very happy with the results. Ergonomically speaking, it's much more comfortable than the old unit.  Looking forward to priming/painting and installing the PC.

jammin0

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 13, 2023, 08:15:17 pm
Pretty sweet, I like how modular it is.

RyoriNoTetsujin

• Offline Offline
Re: The Final Stage - (Update 05-19-12: Prepping for priming and paint.)
« Reply #38 on: May 19, 2012, 11:35:10 pm »
No I was never actually going to call it Super Mameolix SimCade 2.

Been a busy week outside of the project. The real name finally hit me upside the head while on the subway. The Final Stage. Both in terms of the evolution of this design idea... and the end of the game: the place that everybody wants to get to, where the rivalry ends... and someone wins.  I like that a lot.  (There's also a loose allusion to rally racing "stages" ... it's not a strong connection, but it's good enough.)  Hopefully I'll have some artwork to post in a few days...

That is, after I prime and paint this thing.  That's going to have to wait until tomorrow, but I've already prepped everything - picture attached.

Should be getting most of the remaining parts (the marquee lighting, a couple of jig knobs for the steering wheel, the speaker grill, etc.) this week.  It won't be done by Memorial Day weekend because of the artwork, but it's close...

Drnick

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 06, 2023, 01:19:48 pm
  • Plodding Through Life
Re: The Final Stage - (Update 05-19-12: Prepping for priming and paint.)
« Reply #39 on: May 20, 2012, 09:42:37 am »
This is very nice indeed, especially looking at the workspace you have  :applaud: :applaud:

What sound system are you using, the speakers look suspiciously like they belong with a cambridge soundworks DTT3500.