Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Are there any alternative one button startups?  (Read 4497 times)

dprush83

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 13, 2020, 12:47:54 pm
Are there any alternative one button startups?
« on: April 03, 2012, 10:07:59 am »
I am wiring my control panel and finishing the system this week and am beginning to think about wiring to my CPU.  I have the smart strip and love the idea of one button power-up, but was wondering if there are any alternatives to directly wiring the CPU to the button.  The way my cocktail is setup it will be quite a pain to get the computer back out after wiring everything up if I go this route.  Has anybody set this up doing something other than direct CPU hookup?

Vigo

• the Scourage of Carpathia
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 21, 2024, 08:20:28 am
Re: Are there any alternative one button startups?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2012, 10:40:02 am »
Depending on the computer, there may be an option to turn it on with a keystroke. It pretty only will work if the motherboard bios allows it.

I would check out your motherboard bios for something like "Hotkey boot enable" or "Wake from keyboard". If you are lucky, you can pick a specific keystroke.

You can also buy a separate power cable for your computer. Then go to your computer motherboard, unplug the power cable wired from the case, and put your cable in. When you want to remove your computer, just unplug the your power cable and leave it in your cabinet.

http://www.amazon.com/Power-Motherboard-Cable-Switch-Button/dp/B00345WH4A

dprush83

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2012, 11:09:49 am »
Depending on the computer, there may be an option to turn it on with a keystroke. It pretty only will work if the motherboard bios allows it.

I would check out your motherboard bios for something like "Hotkey boot enable" or "Wake from keyboard". If you are lucky, you can pick a specific keystroke.

You can also buy a separate power cable for your computer. Then go to your computer motherboard, unplug the power cable wired from the case, and put your cable in. When you want to remove your computer, just unplug the your power cable and leave it in your cabinet.

I wasn't lucky enough to have the power options in my BIOS, but I think a second cable is the way to go...I didn't even think of that!  Thank you for the suggestion, I'll put in an order now.  :)

Vigo

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2012, 11:12:48 am »
No Problem! Glad I could help! :cheers:

yaksplat

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 13, 2021, 03:50:10 pm
    • Random Projects
Check out my current 3 machine build:
http://yaksplat.wordpress.com

Custom Control Panels: http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=121245

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:41:53 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2012, 02:15:22 pm »
personally I'm a fan of the Rube Goldberg machine method of turning on the computer.  :lol

dprush83

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2012, 10:42:47 pm »

So, I'm hooking this up tonight - but I've noticed that my current power button connects to 6 pins on the motherboard. This wire looks like it will only connects to 2. Does anybody know what 2 I should hook the new wire up to? I've searched online, but have had no success yet.

MTPPC

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 26, 2021, 02:25:46 pm
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2012, 11:00:10 pm »
I'm not sure why you can't use your smart strip and hide a regular arcade button to short the existing power-up pins on the mobo (or button board if a dell). Why do you have to take your computer out of the cocktail. Find a $50 P4 on craigslist and strip it out of the case to permanent mount in the table. What am I missing? BTW, you use the term CPU when you mean tower or PC or computer. The Central Processing Unit only one component on the mother board. Sorry to be a stickler.
Pinball and Video Arcade Repair in Billings, MT USA
http://pinballmd.com/

Vigo

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2012, 11:06:33 pm »

So, I'm hooking this up tonight - but I've noticed that my current power button connects to 6 pins on the motherboard. This wire looks like it will only connects to 2. Does anybody know what 2 I should hook the new wire up to? I've searched online, but have had no success yet.

Well, there isn't always a standard, but the pins should at least be next to each other, either vertically or horizontally. The way I do it, which is probably not the proper way, is I plug in the motherboard in and touch each pair of pins with a flat screwdriver. I find the set that powers the motherboard on, then plug in to that set. You just want to be super careful to not drop the screwdriver or touch any other components in the process.

SteveR

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 14, 2023, 05:17:50 pm
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2012, 11:08:14 pm »
Your power button is probably on a small board with the activity LEDs right? You might be able to figure out which pins you need to connect to by tracing the paths on that board. Or, since the other 4 wires are likely just for the LEDs it shouldn't hurt anything to try shorting the pins until you find the combination that fires the computer up. Once you know which pins to use you can just use an arcade button to act as a power button.

mcseforsale

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 18, 2023, 08:49:34 am
  • Creepy Mario Dude
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2012, 04:12:11 pm »
Thanks Yak!  That's awesome and I will surely use this method.  I love the DIY focus of these projects...I just wish I could find a local source for the relay (I'm in Atlanta).  Too bad even Radio Shack doesn't even carry stuff like this anymore.

one question, though...how did you mount the relay in the cab?  Is it in a project box?  Or some kind of gang box?

Thanks!

AJ

yaksplat

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 13, 2021, 03:50:10 pm
    • Random Projects
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2012, 10:21:55 pm »
I bought the relay from Newark.

http://www.newark.com/te-connectivity-potter-brumfield/krpa-11dg-12/power-relay-dpdt-12vdc-10a-plug/dp/17M0198?Ntt=17M0198

The relay is just mounted in the base and the base is screwed down into a piece of wood along with the outlet box.  I mounted the piece of wood on the inside of the cabinet.
Check out my current 3 machine build:
http://yaksplat.wordpress.com

Custom Control Panels: http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=121245

mcseforsale

• Offline Offline
  • Creepy Mario Dude
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2012, 01:55:03 pm »
Where did you put the diode?  I get what it does (like a gateway...current can only go IN the gate), but why?  

And, do you really need the EMI filter? 

Thanks,

AJ
« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 01:56:55 pm by mcseforsale »

lanman31337

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 10, 2024, 10:36:50 am
  • set to ludacris speed!
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2012, 02:23:48 pm »
MCSEforsale, if you have a wal-mart near you they have a phillips smart strip for 20 bucks.  That and some wire and an arcade button will turn on that GX260.

I'll buy that MCSE off of you by the way, only if it's for NT4 and you don't reduce it to an MCP.

mcseforsale

• Offline Offline
  • Creepy Mario Dude
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2012, 02:38:01 pm »
Sure...you can have the NT4 one.

I can't find it at my local WalMart(s).  But, I like the industrial look I'll get with the steel gang boxes, romex and conduit.  I want the inside of the cab to be interesting, too.  Plus, I love DIY.  It makes the projects more interesting.  :laugh:

I want anything I can DIY in there and I want it interesting to look at/not messy:

I even learnt Photochop for this project. 

Once it's in place in the house and I get more time, I'll be upgrading it to a new PC with more gusto/video and decased.  I want it to be displayed when you open the door and lit with a contact switch.  It's taking a while, but I really love working on the details.

AJ

MCSEforsale, if you have a wal-mart near you they have a phillips smart strip for 20 bucks.  That and some wire and an arcade button will turn on that GX260.

I'll buy that MCSE off of you by the way, only if it's for NT4 and you don't reduce it to an MCP.

mcseforsale

• Offline Offline
  • Creepy Mario Dude
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2012, 02:59:39 pm »
I found a relay at RS.  It's not the plug-type one, but I'm going to hide it in a gang box anyway.  It'll take .187" connectors and is a 12VDC 10A DPDT.

Thanks!
AJ

lanman31337

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 10, 2024, 10:36:50 am
  • set to ludacris speed!
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2012, 03:00:29 pm »
It's not in the electronics section of mine, it was with the electrical, in with the extension cords and drop lights.

mcseforsale

• Offline Offline
  • Creepy Mario Dude
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2012, 03:37:41 pm »
I've checked 3 stores near me and I couldn't fine one.  But, that's OK.  I think this is pretty cool.  I already have the gang boxen, the romex, black and white outlets, and a lighted switch...leftovers from years of doing electrical around the house(s).  So, total out of pocket for this (since all the other stuff was years old in my "electrical crap" box), was $7 after my 5 dollar coupon. :D

AJ

It's not in the electronics section of mine, it was with the electrical, in with the extension cords and drop lights.

Ravenger

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 10, 2024, 06:46:37 am
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2012, 03:56:10 pm »
I set the PC in my cab to automatically turn on when the cab is plugged in. It's got a smart socket adapter inside which turns the monitor and the lights on when the PC switches on.

Inside the front door of the cab is a PC control panel I removed from an old case with on/off switch, reset switch and power and drive LEDs, so I can turn it on or off by opening the door and pressing the power button. Because the door is lockable I can prevent other users from turning the cab off if I need to.