Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Routing for T-Molding using Plexi?  (Read 1974 times)

mcseforsale

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 09, 2024, 03:07:41 pm
  • Creepy Mario Dude
Routing for T-Molding using Plexi?
« on: April 01, 2012, 02:14:23 pm »
This is my first plexi covered CP and it really came out well.  I also had to modify the Kneivel CP plans to include a bumpout on the box.  No big deal and I kinda like the look:

So, I used 3/4" MDF for the CP top...because 5/8 is like unicorn crap...and I routed a 45 degree in the bottom edge for 1/8". 

So, when I route, is it OK to use the Plexi under the router?  I'm wanting to set the router once to do both the CP and the holes I'm drilling in the back of the CP box and I don't want to re-set the router...

Is the Plexi (with protective cellophane) capable of this without scratching?

Thanks!
AJ

selfie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 20, 2014, 01:05:53 am
Re: Routing for T-Molding using Plexi?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2012, 06:00:44 pm »
The protective masking varies from brand to brand.

Polyethylene, what you called Cellophane, masking generally varies in thickness on each side of the sheet but I have only had issues with one brand of acrylic that I get.

You SHOULD be right but test it on a piece of scrap the same as your CP. Double check the base of the router for protruding screws or anything else that could mar the acrylic.

A better way would be to take the acrylic off the CP and tape an offcut piece of acrylic to the bottom of the router plate to lift the router the same as if the acrylic cover was there.

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:02:53 am
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2012, 06:34:12 pm »
Great tip, selfie!
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

kahlid74

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 01, 2021, 12:42:56 pm
  • Gaming for a better future!
    • GamersAnon
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2012, 11:18:48 pm »
A better way would be to take the acrylic off the CP and tape an offcut piece of acrylic to the bottom of the router plate to lift the router the same as if the acrylic cover was there.

This.  I've seen sawdust come up and with the weight of the router/my positioning I've actually scratched the plexi/Lexan.  I didn't believe it at first but upon closer inspection it was like fine scratches.  Take it off completely and used a piece of scrap like Selfie says.