Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Upright Discs of Tron - The Build  (Read 2188 times)

nintendoid

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 16, 2024, 03:49:20 pm
    • Nintendoid
Upright Discs of Tron - The Build
« on: November 17, 2014, 06:08:41 am »
So few months ago decided that would try to replicate this cabinet, have done a DK cabinet before and thought that this would be a great cabinet to replicate (why not buy? cost over £2K in the UK).
So having chose this as one of my grail cabinets to build the realisation of what actually went into the original build (luminescent inks, mirrors, translite, black lights etc...) gives me a clue why nobody has build these before only restored them.

RESEARCH:
There is only 1 UDOT that I know of in the UK, being unable to visit the cabinet it mean't a lot of Google searching and images, once that information was gathered measuring. Thanks to helpful people on this forum and others I was able to get most of the measurements to build the shell.

SHELL:
So with the measurements plotted into AutoCAD, I printed the plans off in 15% scale and then traced this onto some plywood to cut out to see if the shell is missing anything.

Cutting this out during the week... see how it goes.

taylormadelv

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 18, 2019, 05:46:59 pm
Re: Upright Discs of Tron - The Build
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2014, 12:44:05 pm »
This will be ambitious! This is one of the only games I have never been actually able to complete reproduce properly in Mame. I have come real close, even using an Apache push-pull spinner, but I did not have all the buttons on the flight stick. The controls on this are a beast to reproduce! Also the artwork is intense, with the mirror and blacklight artwork floating effects. The artwork on this game will set you back serious $$! I will be watching this one!

nintendoid

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 16, 2024, 03:49:20 pm
    • Nintendoid
Re: Upright Discs of Tron - The Build
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2014, 01:53:30 pm »
yeah I know it ambitious... that's why atm I'm concentrating on the shell.... then I'll be working out the best way to create the graphics, then the mirror system and finally the method of playing the game (worst case there's a port on a xbox.. argh)