Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Plywood and walnut supergun  (Read 5068 times)

S.P.A.R.R.O.W.S

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 20, 2015, 09:07:14 pm
  • Mission one...Start!
Plywood and walnut supergun
« on: July 29, 2014, 05:15:36 pm »

Greetings all! A while back I tried to make a consolized MVS in the shape of an ammo box from Metal Slug but unfortunately it broke after a fall. I was a bit deterred truly, but I persisted and tried and tried again. During one of my retries, I found an arcade board for an extremely reasonable price and purchased it. This made me rethink my project from something tied to a Neo Geo to a set up to one that could use a lot of different boards. Since I had a lot of the internal parts already, I only needed to purchase a few new parts.

The whole supergun is made from plywood, walnut and acrylic. To get the unique look of all the ply layers, I needed to make an original layer and then sandwich other ones on to build thickness. Each time I used a router to cut them flush to each other. There's nine layers of 1/2'' ( 12mm ) Baltic birch plywood. Baltic birch is a bit of a specialty plywood since it's made of tight hardwood layers with little to no voids internally and come in 5' by 5' sheets. Since the box is small, it really goes a long way. The wire grommet is self made as well on a wood lathe and was my first try at making something so small and with something with small walls too at nearly 1/8'' (3mm)

A lot of people who design electronics say make something you can take apart, and I followed that advice to a T. Both walnut faces are attached by a friction fit dowel. The back one has a board attached to it so I can mount all the electronic boards, for extra security I put threaded inserts in that and it screws in place from the bottom.

I had issues with using the DB-15 connectors that were shown in the last project and getting them to fit nicely. My solution to that was to use a larger connector that looks similar to the ones seen on a NES once done. I'll still wire them to be compatible with a Neo Geo controller though, and merely make an adapter for it to work.

Finally the controller. Its made from walnut and plywood just like the supergun so it can match. I used a Semitsu joystick and Sanwa buttons so I could make the controller thin as possible.

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 14, 2024, 06:01:28 pm
  • <insert personal text here>
Re: Plywood and walnut supergun
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2014, 05:24:41 pm »
Kudos to you and your beautiful woodwork.  I love how you let the ply layers show and be a design element.  Well done!

johnrt

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2014, 05:30:52 pm »
That's was something else!!  :notworthy:
And you also gave me an idea for my next project!  :applaud:

emphatic

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 03:17:23 pm
  • -"Suck it, Donny!" -"No, YOU suck it.... more".
    • Emphatic's Video Game Collection
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2014, 05:44:31 pm »
Lovely woodwork! :cheers:

Minwah

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 18, 2019, 05:03:20 am
    • MAMEWAH
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2014, 07:16:18 pm »
I was trying to get some baltic birch ply recently and failed. It looks really good, I would never have thought to make the main box out of ply in that way!

TopJimmyCooks

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 01:18:39 pm
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2014, 10:02:12 pm »
nice plywood usage and cool design.   :applaud:

BobA

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 11, 2018, 09:52:14 pm
  • What Me Worry?
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2014, 02:12:53 am »
Nice woodworking.    :applaud: :applaud:

Yvan256

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 20, 2017, 08:35:41 am
    • Yvan256
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2014, 08:35:44 am »
Greetings all! A while back I tried to make a consolized MVS in the shape of an ammo box from Metal Slug but unfortunately it broke after a fall.

I remember that project, in fact I was wondering what had happened to it. I'm sorry to hear it broke.  :'(

This new project looks really nice, it's a good idea to show off the layers of the plywood and make it part of the design.

SpaceHedgehog

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 06, 2023, 12:10:24 pm
  • Almost done ...
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2014, 01:13:27 pm »
Now these things are something different ... and beautiful!
Click a pic for a video tour 

S.P.A.R.R.O.W.S

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 20, 2015, 09:07:14 pm
  • Mission one...Start!
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2014, 06:18:48 pm »

The main body is 100% done! The wire wrap really gives it a finished look. If I were to make another, I'd make the harness a bit longer though. I've also found an odd issue with some boards. Some while used on composite only display in black and white. I have a sync cleaner properly wired in too so I could prevent some of this. Its not too much of an issue since I'm using LCD screens and I'm sure a CRT will be more tolerant.

The controller is finished, and I really like how it turned out personally. I may want to make a few more for myself or for sale using the Cthulu board so it works on a range of consoles

Everything working together. Mr.Driller G is a great game with friends! I have a few other boards now since making this. Though there is one unfortunate thing I've realized. Vertical oriented games like Twinbee and 1943 are very awkward to play. My other project though will solve this and give me some experience in arcade making too!

Generic Eric

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 05, 2024, 09:02:23 am
  • Restore! Don't maim for MAME, build from scratch!
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,143226.0.html
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2014, 08:44:35 pm »
Holy buckets that is cute!

What a neat thing!