Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Magneto cab [done] [build plans included]  (Read 77133 times)

edekoning

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 10, 2022, 02:21:38 pm
Magneto cab [done] [build plans included]
« on: March 29, 2012, 10:32:21 am »
2013 UCA Fullsize Cabinet nominee

Finished pics and video: http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,119175.msg1381036.html#msg1381036
Cabinet plans: http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,119175.msg1362438.html#msg1362438
Web album: https://photos.app.goo.gl/Qdw2mBAVy7mYxsFK7

I just happened to stumble upon this site a few months back. After looking at some projects I decided I wanted my own arcade cabinet. I was really excited about it, unfortunately the same couldn't be said for my wife  :dunno

Anyway I started making some sketches in SketchUp and decided to make a small scale prototype. The main reason being to get some practice, as I had no woodworking experience. I went out a bought a jigsaw, router, wood glue and single sheet of MDF. When I was done the quality of the result was ok, but not great. I learned a lot and also made lots of silly mistakes that I will hopefully not make on real thing. One thing I am very happy with are the shape and overall proportions of the cab. At full scale it will be roughly 1,90m high, 60cm wide and 50-65cm deep.

The cab will be made using MDF (18mm for the side and CP, 12mm for the rest), and build around a 24" 16:10 LCD. The two player CP will have an 8-way joystick, 6-buttons, start button, coin/select button for each player. The overall theme will be Magneto, my alltime favorite villain  >:D I only have an idea for side art yet, still need to think about the CP and marque.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2021, 06:17:25 am by edekoning »

eds1275

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 21, 2024, 02:31:34 pm
  • Rock and Roll!
Re: Magneto cab
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2012, 12:44:07 pm »
That's pretty rad. Obvious choices for colours are red/crimson, blue, anything dark and moody. It would be really cool to incorporate a plasma plate in the side art similar to what others have done with the neon rings. Like have his hands around the plasma plate as if conjuring some magnetic energy or something.

Unstupid

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 08, 2021, 08:46:34 am
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2012, 02:34:48 pm »
Does that piece of paper there represent a coin door?  If so it looks a little low!  ;)

edekoning

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2012, 03:12:55 pm »
@eds1275

I actually thought about that, but there are two problems with it. For one the top part of the cab isn't deep enough. And two the art that I am using is not big enough. Only magneto's top part is on there. And for colors I was thinking of black/crimson/purple. But I'll tackle that once I have something to paint.

@Unstupid

Oh yeah I forgot to mention what those pieces of paper represent. The two small ones below the marque are two speaker grills. The big one represents the visible screen area, so the LCD without the borders. And the bottom one is not a coin door, but a large 40x30cm speaker grill for the subwoofer that sits behind it. The cab will not be having a coin door.

gbeef

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 22, 2018, 03:32:26 pm
    • arcadepix.com
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2012, 08:09:32 pm »
That plasma is pretty sweet how big is it?

My cabs
4 Player Arcade
X-men Arcade Remixed
My Pin Cab Attack of the PINZ cab
My Racing Cabinet Cab [URL=http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=

eds1275

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 21, 2024, 02:31:34 pm
  • Rock and Roll!
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2012, 10:44:36 am »
That plasma is pretty sweet how big is it?

That one is 6" but I saw them all over the web in different sizes. Cheaper than I thought, most of the 6" were $30 or so. Just google a search for plasma plate.

Vigo

• the Scourage of Carpathia
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 21, 2024, 08:20:28 am
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2012, 10:54:18 am »
I might steal that idea. Would be badass on the center of the marquee as well.  :cheers:

Also, Magneto theme on a cab is pretty awesome in general  8)

wp34

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2022, 09:48:19 pm
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2012, 11:09:57 am »
I like your design.  It looks like you shaved the back off my cabinet.   ;D

Gamester did a great job implementing a plasma disc into his cabinet. 
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=94891.0;all

He also had a trick where he painted the back of the disc to make them less transparent.  Turned out really nice.
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=94891.msg1035560#msg1035560

Donkbaca

• Our reptillian overlords would be pleased
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 09, 2012, 06:28:10 pm
    • Slim built MAME/Xbox cab
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2012, 11:37:46 am »
my two cents, is that I wouldn't put a speaker grill down there for the sub.  It will get kicked and messed up, and I think you get nicer bass by having the sub resonate through the cabinet.

GregD

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2015, 02:26:41 pm
    • Arcade Nebula
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2012, 01:45:14 pm »
I wouldn't put a sub in the cabinet at all.  I believe they can mess up your hard drive pretty easily.

edekoning

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2012, 07:01:25 am »
@wp34

Well my design was mostly influenced by my own height the LCD I choose, and the fact that my jigsaw can only do 90/45/22.5 degree angles, as I don't have a miter/table saw. It ended up looking very slim, so I added at least 15cm of extra depth to make it better looking.

@Donkbaca

Never really thought about that. Currently I planned to have it 10cm above the ground, but I could easily move it up to 20cm. You mention the bass will sound better without the grill, but isn't that necessary to let the sound out.

@GregD

Yes vibrations are killing to harddisks, but I am going to use a SSD  ;D But normally a sub should move just the air and not vibrate the floor/cabinet it is standing on. That's why good subs are placed on spikes or on a heavy slab of rock (e.g. granite) to avoid the sub vibrating the floors/walls.

Donkbaca

• Our reptillian overlords would be pleased
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 09, 2012, 06:28:10 pm
    • Slim built MAME/Xbox cab
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2012, 10:47:03 am »
No, you aren't building a soundproof box, and bass is non-directional so you don't need to point it at a certain location.  It'll be fine without the grill.  I have a small sub and it sounds awesome in my cab, especially with the new MK

edekoning

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2012, 03:30:44 pm »
@ Vigo

I experimented in the sketchup with the plasma thingie and designed half a marque  ;) I think it looks really cool! The other half will contain text: magnus or magneto or whatever. Note that the black border around the disc is actually just transparent glass.

I am a bit concerned by how distractive it will be up there, but I guess that depends mostly on how bright it will be. I also read that some people are having major issues with the plasma disc interfering with other electronics. Has anyone had similar experiences?
« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 03:44:27 pm by edekoning »

Vigo

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2012, 04:13:28 pm »
Haha! That looks really awesome!!  :cheers: I can see what you mean about it being possibly distracting if it is really bright. Isuppose you could put an off switch for it somewhere, but I would hope that it isn't distracting to begin with.

Ond

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 18, 2024, 11:41:19 pm
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2012, 08:24:39 pm »
Yes vibrations are killing to harddisks, but I am going to use a SSD  ;D But normally a sub should move just the air and not vibrate the floor/cabinet it is standing on. That's why good subs are placed on spikes or on a heavy slab of rock (e.g. granite) to avoid the sub vibrating the floors/walls.

Probably a major concern around Hard Disks and subwoofer's is the large magnetic field that subs tend to resulting in data corruption on a disk.  Whilst SDD units and solid state storage media use a different storage method to HDD units I'd still be prudent and keep a subby and PC components as separate as possible.

Years ago when I worked in the television industry we used a electromagnetic Bulk Eraser to wipe 2" video tapes, a few seconds on that thing was all that was needed to clear everything.

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2012, 09:48:03 pm »
I love that!  Nice to see something original being done to a marquee.  Brilliant.   :applaud:

@ Vigo

I experimented in the sketchup with the plasma thingie and designed half a marque  ;) I think it looks really cool! The other half will contain text: magnus or magneto or whatever. Note that the black border around the disc is actually just transparent glass.

I am a bit concerned by how distractive it will be up there, but I guess that depends mostly on how bright it will be. I also read that some people are having major issues with the plasma disc interfering with other electronics. Has anyone had similar experiences?

edekoning

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2012, 02:47:31 am »
My wife had a really good suggestion. To make the plasma disc flush with the wood panel, then applying the art, and finally adding a layer of plexiglass. That way the the disc will not stick out and really look like its part of the marque. She also wants the artwork to cover the outer border of the plasma disc (the part that's black in the picture), because that's not doing anything fancy. Not sure about that.

Anyway, I'll see if I can order a purple 6" plasma disc this weekend.

edekoning

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2012, 02:08:12 pm »
I just spend 3 hours searching for a web-shop that sells a 6" pink/purple Plasma/Lumin disk, and found zero   :cry:

Does anybody know of a shop that sells them? I really hate to have to give up on this marque idea.

Mysterioii

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 31, 2018, 11:44:34 am
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2012, 02:43:45 pm »
I believe the company that has the rights to the technology will work with people on custom installations.  Not sure of the cost... but the guy that did that "Ghost in the Machine" custom cabinet used a rectangular custom cut piece of luminglas that he got direct from the manufacturer so it can't be THAT bad...

http://www.strattman.com/products/luminglas/index.html

Vigo

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2012, 03:00:58 pm »
Can find any in the US. I see I can find it in China:

http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=10505688156&

http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=10505144334&

But to order from this website ("taobao"; China's ebay) you will need to find a taobao agent such as taobaospree.com. Which is someone in China that will order the item for you and then ship it to you. It looks like this Item is about $10 - $12 USD. Expect shipping to at least $20, but could be more like $30, and the taobao agent will probably take about $5. Shipping would be a couple weeks as well. I guess since the price would probably still $40 to $50, It's not a bad price for importing, but it is definitely not a great first option for a plasma plate.

SNAAKE

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 11, 2024, 12:21:50 pm
  • my joystick is bigger than your joystick !
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2012, 05:08:21 pm »
GRABITY SCHQUEEGE!! >:D

Vigo

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2012, 05:45:28 pm »
I was pondering your purple plasma plate problem. (say that 3 times fast)

Perhaps you could just put a purple gel sheet, the stuff they use to tint lighting, over a standard blue plasma plate.

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 08:00:17 pm
  • <insert personal text here>
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2012, 06:08:29 pm »
I was pondering your purple plasma plate problem. (say that 3 times fast)

Perhaps you could just put a purple gel sheet, the stuff they use to tint lighting, over a standard blue plasma plate.

Wonderful advice but Vigo has not studied his colorwheel.  Red inserts are what you want.  Red+Blue=Rlue. 

Vigo

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2012, 06:25:22 pm »
Sadly, I have studied my color wheel, just wan't quite thinking in those terms.  :lol

Yeah, using red would make a much more vibrant purple as long as the plate was a solid blue rather than whitish. I never had a plasma plate, so I don't know. If is is whitish, I am guessing that the brightest spots would look very red with the gel sheet on it. I bet a magenta filter might be better if that is the case.

drventure

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 25, 2023, 02:23:57 pm
  • Laser Death Ray Bargain Bin! Make me an offer!
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2012, 07:10:08 pm »
I believe the company that has the rights to the technology will work with people on custom installations.  Not sure of the cost... but the guy that did that "Ghost in the Machine" custom cabinet used a rectangular custom cut piece of luminglas that he got direct from the manufacturer so it can't be THAT bad...

http://www.strattman.com/products/luminglas/index.html

Wow. I can't find it right off, but the guy that was doing the all hardwood framed cab with plex plates for the side panels (so you can see completely into the cab.

He REALLY needs to see this custom cut luminglass for that  :o

That'd be one heck of a showstopping cabinet (probably pricey too)

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2012, 08:02:07 pm »

Wow. I can't find it right off, but the guy that was doing the all hardwood framed cab with plex plates for the side panels (so you can see completely into the cab.

He REALLY needs to see this custom cut luminglass for that  :o

That'd be one heck of a showstopping cabinet (probably pricey too)

You're thinking of the Quercus right?  el linko

drventure

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 25, 2023, 02:23:57 pm
  • Laser Death Ray Bargain Bin! Make me an offer!
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2012, 08:26:56 pm »
You're thinking of the Quercus right?  el linko

That's the one. Brain freeze on my part. Thanks!

Hadn't seen any activity in a while on that thread, but the plates that company makes made me think of him.

rablack97

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 11, 2022, 06:50:10 pm
  • If you don't try, you have no chance at innovation
« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2012, 12:53:30 am »
Yeah the luminglas is hard to find.  I was lucky enough to find 2 blue 12" disks on buy.com.  The vendor was clearing out the rest of the inventory, and this was a few years ago.  These started phasing out to normal consumers about the same time neon speaker rings started becoming scarce.  Only ones you can really find now are the little belt buckle ones 4" i think.

Also about the subwoofers, i have 2 10" JBL's and 6 pair of focals in my cab along with an high power amp that came out of a car.  My hard drive is fine.  I mounted the subs in enclosed boxes, and the drive is on a tier right above. If you worried about vibration i think they sell antivibration brackets that will absorb the movement.  Although if you build your machine tight with no rattle you wont have that issue.

Why don't you do what Dr. venture did and put a miniature plasma ball in your marquee, more 3 dimensional.

Another note, you put a plasma anything in your marquee, the first thing people want to do is touch it.  So be prepared to have your marquee look filthy within a few months.  To this day i'm still having to wipe off the lumindiscs.

edekoning

• Offline Offline
« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2012, 04:45:18 am »
Thanks for all the suggestions!

Anyway I found some seller on ebay selling lumin discs in the wrong color. I contacted him I he could find a pink one for me. He did and it cost $40 excluding shipping. Even though its a bit expensive, I bought it anyway. The seller is from Hong Kong, so with shipping its just as Vigo expected.

@Rablack

The lumin disc will be placed behind plexiglass, so I hope that will discourage people from trying to.

I'm planning on byuing some MDF next week, so I can start working on the side panels  :applaud:

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2012, 07:51:51 am »
Glad to hear you found a disc.   :cheers:

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #30 on: April 08, 2012, 08:16:33 pm »
woohoo, great job on the lumin disc find........looking forward to seeing your progress.

More interested in seein how your gonna mount that thing in your marquee..

edekoning

• Offline Offline
« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2012, 03:05:25 pm »
More interested in seein how your gonna mount that thing in your marquee..

It mostly depends on the thickness of the glass and on the type of lumin disc. As far as I can tell there are two types: one that looks easy to mount, and one that looks impossible to mount because of a battery compartment. I asked for the first one, so lets hope that's what I'm getting.

Due to the sensible feedback I received, I am not placing the speaker grill for the sub on the front panel (for fear of my 5 year old son kicking it in ;). Instead I will be placing a coin door (considering http://na.suzohapp.com/coindoors/40000800.htm). As I am not familiar with these things and the description is kinda vague, I was hoping someone could clarify some things for me.
  • If I order this coin door, what do I get? Do I get a fully functional coin door, or do I need to order additional parts (mech holder, coin switch, etc)?
  • I was planning on using 12mm (1/2") mdf for the front and back panels. Is this thick enough for mounting the coin door?
  • Are there any less expensive alternatives?

I also made a CP layout: 2 8-way joysticks, 8 buttons per player, 2 start buttons, 1 admin button. I've also reached out to a friend who actually knows how to use photoshop, to help me with the remaining art.

Mysterioii

• Offline Offline
« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2012, 03:53:00 pm »
Only one admin button?  Is that gonna function as "shift" and your other buttons will do other stuff, or what?

I'm gearing up to rebuild my control panel, but here's what I currently have:

2 8-way and 2 4-way joysticks, which sucks and takes up too much real estate, and will be replaced by Mag-Stik Plus top-switchables...
3" Trackball
Spinner

6 buttons per player, but I will be increasing this to 8 like yours.
Two pushbuttons in the far left corner that are dedicated mouse buttons (the trackball acts as a mouse).
2 coin buttons
2 start buttons
4 admin buttons...  escape (exit game/emulator/hyperspin), in-game menu, pause, and enter/select

I probably could have gotten rid of the 4 admin buttons if I used one shift button in combination with the player buttons, but my CP has plenty of real estate and I like the look.  Are you planning on using the coin mechs exclusively for "coin in"?  I don't have a coin door so I just have a separate button next to the start button that I wail on to add coins.  I like the authenticity of the coin doors/mechs but you might want a cheat button somewhere that functions like "coin in" in case you don't have any quarters/tokens handy, or maybe map shift-start to work like a coin in.

Or in a pinch you could map the start button to both the start and coin events, that should work but isn't the most authentic...

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #33 on: April 10, 2012, 05:23:34 pm »
That coin door doesn't come with coin mechs or a cashbox or a harness (depending on which version you order) and I think it's crazy expensive for what you get. 

$50 from Andy Warne will get you a coin door and mech that is great for MAME cabs.  If that's not your style and you don't mind fixing up a used one hit up Quarter Arcade.

Oh, and I don't have any dedicated admin buttons.  Everything I do is with shifted controls and I haven't had any issues with guests not being able to follow a simple instruction card.   

Mysterioii

• Offline Offline
« Reply #34 on: April 10, 2012, 08:17:22 pm »
Oh, and I don't have any dedicated admin buttons.  Everything I do is with shifted controls and I haven't had any issues with guests not being able to follow a simple instruction card.   

Oh my admin buttons aren't for the sake of guests, they're not even labelled...   ;)   I just personally like them.  But I'm in the process of designing a new panel so I could conceivably simplify...  this one will have an artwork overlay so at the very least I'll probably label them.

My cabinet is just a very simple Ultimate Arcade II kit from mameroom.com with no artwork... it's really all I had time for when I first put it together (not that I have any more time now, what with a 22-month-old running around...)  I added a second monitor on top for an "attract mode" and to be able to run a poker timer up there when I was hosting some tournaments for friends while MAME was still running on the main monitor...  but it's not even enclosed, it just looks like a monitor sitting up there.  I am completely shamed by the killer projects I've been discovering here...   :applaud:

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #35 on: April 10, 2012, 09:05:45 pm »
 :cheers: It's cool man, lotsa ways to skin the kid, er cat, um cab. 

edekoning

• Offline Offline
« Reply #36 on: April 11, 2012, 10:55:19 am »
Only one admin button?  Is that gonna function as "shift" and your other buttons will do other stuff, or what?

Well I thought about what buttons I would need, and the only admin button I could think of that I would like a button for is 'exit game'. And yes it will be the 'shift' button. On my pc I am currently using a single key for coin+start, and I find it quite handy. But if I do go for a coin door, which I am doubting again, I do want it to work like the real thing.

That coin door doesn't come with coin mechs or a cashbox or a harness (depending on which version you order) and I think it's crazy expensive for what you get.  

The product description does list 'Fitted with $.25 U.S. Coin Mech', but I have no clue what a Harness or Meter is.

Mysterioii

• Offline Offline
« Reply #37 on: April 11, 2012, 11:44:02 am »

Well I thought about what buttons I would need, and the only admin button I could think of that I would like a button for is 'exit game'.

Pause comes in really handy!  Of course for consoles pause and start are generally the same, but it's great for mame.  You might not need a dedicated button but I'd suggest at least assigning a shifted button to Pause.

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #38 on: April 11, 2012, 09:58:54 pm »
I got my coindoor off ebay, some guy was dimantling machines and selling the pieces.

I was able to get mine for 20 bucks, only thing i can say to look out for is make sure they give you the mounting harware.

The guy i bought from said the price was for the door only and was trying to charge me 2 bucks for each bolt and clamp (needed 6)

After chatting with him via email i convicned him to send me the hardware if i paid for shipping. 

Your harness might be the wring needed for the leds and the ground and signal for the coin mechs, which you really dont need cause you can run the wiring your self.

1/2" is fine you just cut the hole and the clamps will hold the door in place....

Meter? thats a new one to me, maybe the coin counter.

edekoning

• Offline Offline
« Reply #39 on: April 15, 2012, 08:30:26 am »
I actually started building my cab :applaud:

I made a template for the sides out of 9mm MDF, then router copied that onto 18mm MDF and slot-cutted the two sides for t-molding. See the picture for my high tech workshop, also notice the thick layer of MDF dust.

Unfortunately, I made one gigantic mistake, when I was drawing the shape of the template onto the MDF. I drew parallel vertical lines through all corners and then on each line marked the horizontal position of that corner. Then I just connected the corner points and voila. But I somehow managed to misplace one corner point onto the wrong line. I only found out after both sides were router copied, pfff. Luckily its the back-top part of the cab that is effected, so its not that big of a deal. The picture shows the red line that I ended up with, also note that this line is no longer parallel with the speaker panel :(

Sorry for the lack of pictures, but my nikon d70s dslr fell on the ground, and now the lens and body are broken.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 01:58:09 am by edekoning »