Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Magneto cab [done] [build plans included]  (Read 76931 times)

edekoning

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 10, 2022, 02:21:38 pm
Magneto cab [done] [build plans included]
« on: March 29, 2012, 10:32:21 am »
2013 UCA Fullsize Cabinet nominee

Finished pics and video: http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,119175.msg1381036.html#msg1381036
Cabinet plans: http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,119175.msg1362438.html#msg1362438
Web album: https://photos.app.goo.gl/Qdw2mBAVy7mYxsFK7

I just happened to stumble upon this site a few months back. After looking at some projects I decided I wanted my own arcade cabinet. I was really excited about it, unfortunately the same couldn't be said for my wife  :dunno

Anyway I started making some sketches in SketchUp and decided to make a small scale prototype. The main reason being to get some practice, as I had no woodworking experience. I went out a bought a jigsaw, router, wood glue and single sheet of MDF. When I was done the quality of the result was ok, but not great. I learned a lot and also made lots of silly mistakes that I will hopefully not make on real thing. One thing I am very happy with are the shape and overall proportions of the cab. At full scale it will be roughly 1,90m high, 60cm wide and 50-65cm deep.

The cab will be made using MDF (18mm for the side and CP, 12mm for the rest), and build around a 24" 16:10 LCD. The two player CP will have an 8-way joystick, 6-buttons, start button, coin/select button for each player. The overall theme will be Magneto, my alltime favorite villain  >:D I only have an idea for side art yet, still need to think about the CP and marque.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2021, 06:17:25 am by edekoning »

eds1275

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 16, 2024, 05:26:18 pm
  • Rock and Roll!
Re: Magneto cab
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2012, 12:44:07 pm »
That's pretty rad. Obvious choices for colours are red/crimson, blue, anything dark and moody. It would be really cool to incorporate a plasma plate in the side art similar to what others have done with the neon rings. Like have his hands around the plasma plate as if conjuring some magnetic energy or something.

Unstupid

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 08, 2021, 08:46:34 am
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2012, 02:34:48 pm »
Does that piece of paper there represent a coin door?  If so it looks a little low!  ;)

edekoning

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2012, 03:12:55 pm »
@eds1275

I actually thought about that, but there are two problems with it. For one the top part of the cab isn't deep enough. And two the art that I am using is not big enough. Only magneto's top part is on there. And for colors I was thinking of black/crimson/purple. But I'll tackle that once I have something to paint.

@Unstupid

Oh yeah I forgot to mention what those pieces of paper represent. The two small ones below the marque are two speaker grills. The big one represents the visible screen area, so the LCD without the borders. And the bottom one is not a coin door, but a large 40x30cm speaker grill for the subwoofer that sits behind it. The cab will not be having a coin door.

gbeef

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 22, 2018, 03:32:26 pm
    • arcadepix.com
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2012, 08:09:32 pm »
That plasma is pretty sweet how big is it?

My cabs
4 Player Arcade
X-men Arcade Remixed
My Pin Cab Attack of the PINZ cab
My Racing Cabinet Cab [URL=http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=

eds1275

• Offline Offline
  • Rock and Roll!
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2012, 10:44:36 am »
That plasma is pretty sweet how big is it?

That one is 6" but I saw them all over the web in different sizes. Cheaper than I thought, most of the 6" were $30 or so. Just google a search for plasma plate.

Vigo

• the Scourage of Carpathia
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 09, 2024, 04:32:11 pm
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2012, 10:54:18 am »
I might steal that idea. Would be badass on the center of the marquee as well.  :cheers:

Also, Magneto theme on a cab is pretty awesome in general  8)

wp34

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2022, 09:48:19 pm
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2012, 11:09:57 am »
I like your design.  It looks like you shaved the back off my cabinet.   ;D

Gamester did a great job implementing a plasma disc into his cabinet. 
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=94891.0;all

He also had a trick where he painted the back of the disc to make them less transparent.  Turned out really nice.
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=94891.msg1035560#msg1035560

Donkbaca

• Our reptillian overlords would be pleased
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 09, 2012, 06:28:10 pm
    • Slim built MAME/Xbox cab
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2012, 11:37:46 am »
my two cents, is that I wouldn't put a speaker grill down there for the sub.  It will get kicked and messed up, and I think you get nicer bass by having the sub resonate through the cabinet.

GregD

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2015, 02:26:41 pm
    • Arcade Nebula
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2012, 01:45:14 pm »
I wouldn't put a sub in the cabinet at all.  I believe they can mess up your hard drive pretty easily.

edekoning

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2012, 07:01:25 am »
@wp34

Well my design was mostly influenced by my own height the LCD I choose, and the fact that my jigsaw can only do 90/45/22.5 degree angles, as I don't have a miter/table saw. It ended up looking very slim, so I added at least 15cm of extra depth to make it better looking.

@Donkbaca

Never really thought about that. Currently I planned to have it 10cm above the ground, but I could easily move it up to 20cm. You mention the bass will sound better without the grill, but isn't that necessary to let the sound out.

@GregD

Yes vibrations are killing to harddisks, but I am going to use a SSD  ;D But normally a sub should move just the air and not vibrate the floor/cabinet it is standing on. That's why good subs are placed on spikes or on a heavy slab of rock (e.g. granite) to avoid the sub vibrating the floors/walls.

Donkbaca

• Our reptillian overlords would be pleased
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 09, 2012, 06:28:10 pm
    • Slim built MAME/Xbox cab
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2012, 10:47:03 am »
No, you aren't building a soundproof box, and bass is non-directional so you don't need to point it at a certain location.  It'll be fine without the grill.  I have a small sub and it sounds awesome in my cab, especially with the new MK

edekoning

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2012, 03:30:44 pm »
@ Vigo

I experimented in the sketchup with the plasma thingie and designed half a marque  ;) I think it looks really cool! The other half will contain text: magnus or magneto or whatever. Note that the black border around the disc is actually just transparent glass.

I am a bit concerned by how distractive it will be up there, but I guess that depends mostly on how bright it will be. I also read that some people are having major issues with the plasma disc interfering with other electronics. Has anyone had similar experiences?
« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 03:44:27 pm by edekoning »

Vigo

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2012, 04:13:28 pm »
Haha! That looks really awesome!!  :cheers: I can see what you mean about it being possibly distracting if it is really bright. Isuppose you could put an off switch for it somewhere, but I would hope that it isn't distracting to begin with.

Ond

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:41:19 pm
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2012, 08:24:39 pm »
Yes vibrations are killing to harddisks, but I am going to use a SSD  ;D But normally a sub should move just the air and not vibrate the floor/cabinet it is standing on. That's why good subs are placed on spikes or on a heavy slab of rock (e.g. granite) to avoid the sub vibrating the floors/walls.

Probably a major concern around Hard Disks and subwoofer's is the large magnetic field that subs tend to resulting in data corruption on a disk.  Whilst SDD units and solid state storage media use a different storage method to HDD units I'd still be prudent and keep a subby and PC components as separate as possible.

Years ago when I worked in the television industry we used a electromagnetic Bulk Eraser to wipe 2" video tapes, a few seconds on that thing was all that was needed to clear everything.

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2012, 09:48:03 pm »
I love that!  Nice to see something original being done to a marquee.  Brilliant.   :applaud:

@ Vigo

I experimented in the sketchup with the plasma thingie and designed half a marque  ;) I think it looks really cool! The other half will contain text: magnus or magneto or whatever. Note that the black border around the disc is actually just transparent glass.

I am a bit concerned by how distractive it will be up there, but I guess that depends mostly on how bright it will be. I also read that some people are having major issues with the plasma disc interfering with other electronics. Has anyone had similar experiences?

edekoning

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2012, 02:47:31 am »
My wife had a really good suggestion. To make the plasma disc flush with the wood panel, then applying the art, and finally adding a layer of plexiglass. That way the the disc will not stick out and really look like its part of the marque. She also wants the artwork to cover the outer border of the plasma disc (the part that's black in the picture), because that's not doing anything fancy. Not sure about that.

Anyway, I'll see if I can order a purple 6" plasma disc this weekend.

edekoning

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2012, 02:08:12 pm »
I just spend 3 hours searching for a web-shop that sells a 6" pink/purple Plasma/Lumin disk, and found zero   :cry:

Does anybody know of a shop that sells them? I really hate to have to give up on this marque idea.

Mysterioii

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 31, 2018, 11:44:34 am
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2012, 02:43:45 pm »
I believe the company that has the rights to the technology will work with people on custom installations.  Not sure of the cost... but the guy that did that "Ghost in the Machine" custom cabinet used a rectangular custom cut piece of luminglas that he got direct from the manufacturer so it can't be THAT bad...

http://www.strattman.com/products/luminglas/index.html

Vigo

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2012, 03:00:58 pm »
Can find any in the US. I see I can find it in China:

http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=10505688156&

http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=10505144334&

But to order from this website ("taobao"; China's ebay) you will need to find a taobao agent such as taobaospree.com. Which is someone in China that will order the item for you and then ship it to you. It looks like this Item is about $10 - $12 USD. Expect shipping to at least $20, but could be more like $30, and the taobao agent will probably take about $5. Shipping would be a couple weeks as well. I guess since the price would probably still $40 to $50, It's not a bad price for importing, but it is definitely not a great first option for a plasma plate.

SNAAKE

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 11, 2024, 12:21:50 pm
  • my joystick is bigger than your joystick !
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2012, 05:08:21 pm »
GRABITY SCHQUEEGE!! >:D

Vigo

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2012, 05:45:28 pm »
I was pondering your purple plasma plate problem. (say that 3 times fast)

Perhaps you could just put a purple gel sheet, the stuff they use to tint lighting, over a standard blue plasma plate.

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 14, 2024, 06:07:15 pm
  • <insert personal text here>
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2012, 06:08:29 pm »
I was pondering your purple plasma plate problem. (say that 3 times fast)

Perhaps you could just put a purple gel sheet, the stuff they use to tint lighting, over a standard blue plasma plate.

Wonderful advice but Vigo has not studied his colorwheel.  Red inserts are what you want.  Red+Blue=Rlue. 

Vigo

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2012, 06:25:22 pm »
Sadly, I have studied my color wheel, just wan't quite thinking in those terms.  :lol

Yeah, using red would make a much more vibrant purple as long as the plate was a solid blue rather than whitish. I never had a plasma plate, so I don't know. If is is whitish, I am guessing that the brightest spots would look very red with the gel sheet on it. I bet a magenta filter might be better if that is the case.

drventure

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 25, 2023, 02:23:57 pm
  • Laser Death Ray Bargain Bin! Make me an offer!
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2012, 07:10:08 pm »
I believe the company that has the rights to the technology will work with people on custom installations.  Not sure of the cost... but the guy that did that "Ghost in the Machine" custom cabinet used a rectangular custom cut piece of luminglas that he got direct from the manufacturer so it can't be THAT bad...

http://www.strattman.com/products/luminglas/index.html

Wow. I can't find it right off, but the guy that was doing the all hardwood framed cab with plex plates for the side panels (so you can see completely into the cab.

He REALLY needs to see this custom cut luminglass for that  :o

That'd be one heck of a showstopping cabinet (probably pricey too)

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2012, 08:02:07 pm »

Wow. I can't find it right off, but the guy that was doing the all hardwood framed cab with plex plates for the side panels (so you can see completely into the cab.

He REALLY needs to see this custom cut luminglass for that  :o

That'd be one heck of a showstopping cabinet (probably pricey too)

You're thinking of the Quercus right?  el linko

drventure

• Offline Offline
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2012, 08:26:56 pm »
You're thinking of the Quercus right?  el linko

That's the one. Brain freeze on my part. Thanks!

Hadn't seen any activity in a while on that thread, but the plates that company makes made me think of him.

rablack97

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 11, 2022, 06:50:10 pm
  • If you don't try, you have no chance at innovation
« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2012, 12:53:30 am »
Yeah the luminglas is hard to find.  I was lucky enough to find 2 blue 12" disks on buy.com.  The vendor was clearing out the rest of the inventory, and this was a few years ago.  These started phasing out to normal consumers about the same time neon speaker rings started becoming scarce.  Only ones you can really find now are the little belt buckle ones 4" i think.

Also about the subwoofers, i have 2 10" JBL's and 6 pair of focals in my cab along with an high power amp that came out of a car.  My hard drive is fine.  I mounted the subs in enclosed boxes, and the drive is on a tier right above. If you worried about vibration i think they sell antivibration brackets that will absorb the movement.  Although if you build your machine tight with no rattle you wont have that issue.

Why don't you do what Dr. venture did and put a miniature plasma ball in your marquee, more 3 dimensional.

Another note, you put a plasma anything in your marquee, the first thing people want to do is touch it.  So be prepared to have your marquee look filthy within a few months.  To this day i'm still having to wipe off the lumindiscs.

edekoning

• Offline Offline
« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2012, 04:45:18 am »
Thanks for all the suggestions!

Anyway I found some seller on ebay selling lumin discs in the wrong color. I contacted him I he could find a pink one for me. He did and it cost $40 excluding shipping. Even though its a bit expensive, I bought it anyway. The seller is from Hong Kong, so with shipping its just as Vigo expected.

@Rablack

The lumin disc will be placed behind plexiglass, so I hope that will discourage people from trying to.

I'm planning on byuing some MDF next week, so I can start working on the side panels  :applaud:

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2012, 07:51:51 am »
Glad to hear you found a disc.   :cheers:

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #30 on: April 08, 2012, 08:16:33 pm »
woohoo, great job on the lumin disc find........looking forward to seeing your progress.

More interested in seein how your gonna mount that thing in your marquee..

edekoning

• Offline Offline
« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2012, 03:05:25 pm »
More interested in seein how your gonna mount that thing in your marquee..

It mostly depends on the thickness of the glass and on the type of lumin disc. As far as I can tell there are two types: one that looks easy to mount, and one that looks impossible to mount because of a battery compartment. I asked for the first one, so lets hope that's what I'm getting.

Due to the sensible feedback I received, I am not placing the speaker grill for the sub on the front panel (for fear of my 5 year old son kicking it in ;). Instead I will be placing a coin door (considering http://na.suzohapp.com/coindoors/40000800.htm). As I am not familiar with these things and the description is kinda vague, I was hoping someone could clarify some things for me.
  • If I order this coin door, what do I get? Do I get a fully functional coin door, or do I need to order additional parts (mech holder, coin switch, etc)?
  • I was planning on using 12mm (1/2") mdf for the front and back panels. Is this thick enough for mounting the coin door?
  • Are there any less expensive alternatives?

I also made a CP layout: 2 8-way joysticks, 8 buttons per player, 2 start buttons, 1 admin button. I've also reached out to a friend who actually knows how to use photoshop, to help me with the remaining art.

Mysterioii

• Offline Offline
« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2012, 03:53:00 pm »
Only one admin button?  Is that gonna function as "shift" and your other buttons will do other stuff, or what?

I'm gearing up to rebuild my control panel, but here's what I currently have:

2 8-way and 2 4-way joysticks, which sucks and takes up too much real estate, and will be replaced by Mag-Stik Plus top-switchables...
3" Trackball
Spinner

6 buttons per player, but I will be increasing this to 8 like yours.
Two pushbuttons in the far left corner that are dedicated mouse buttons (the trackball acts as a mouse).
2 coin buttons
2 start buttons
4 admin buttons...  escape (exit game/emulator/hyperspin), in-game menu, pause, and enter/select

I probably could have gotten rid of the 4 admin buttons if I used one shift button in combination with the player buttons, but my CP has plenty of real estate and I like the look.  Are you planning on using the coin mechs exclusively for "coin in"?  I don't have a coin door so I just have a separate button next to the start button that I wail on to add coins.  I like the authenticity of the coin doors/mechs but you might want a cheat button somewhere that functions like "coin in" in case you don't have any quarters/tokens handy, or maybe map shift-start to work like a coin in.

Or in a pinch you could map the start button to both the start and coin events, that should work but isn't the most authentic...

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #33 on: April 10, 2012, 05:23:34 pm »
That coin door doesn't come with coin mechs or a cashbox or a harness (depending on which version you order) and I think it's crazy expensive for what you get. 

$50 from Andy Warne will get you a coin door and mech that is great for MAME cabs.  If that's not your style and you don't mind fixing up a used one hit up Quarter Arcade.

Oh, and I don't have any dedicated admin buttons.  Everything I do is with shifted controls and I haven't had any issues with guests not being able to follow a simple instruction card.   

Mysterioii

• Offline Offline
« Reply #34 on: April 10, 2012, 08:17:22 pm »
Oh, and I don't have any dedicated admin buttons.  Everything I do is with shifted controls and I haven't had any issues with guests not being able to follow a simple instruction card.   

Oh my admin buttons aren't for the sake of guests, they're not even labelled...   ;)   I just personally like them.  But I'm in the process of designing a new panel so I could conceivably simplify...  this one will have an artwork overlay so at the very least I'll probably label them.

My cabinet is just a very simple Ultimate Arcade II kit from mameroom.com with no artwork... it's really all I had time for when I first put it together (not that I have any more time now, what with a 22-month-old running around...)  I added a second monitor on top for an "attract mode" and to be able to run a poker timer up there when I was hosting some tournaments for friends while MAME was still running on the main monitor...  but it's not even enclosed, it just looks like a monitor sitting up there.  I am completely shamed by the killer projects I've been discovering here...   :applaud:

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #35 on: April 10, 2012, 09:05:45 pm »
 :cheers: It's cool man, lotsa ways to skin the kid, er cat, um cab. 

edekoning

• Offline Offline
« Reply #36 on: April 11, 2012, 10:55:19 am »
Only one admin button?  Is that gonna function as "shift" and your other buttons will do other stuff, or what?

Well I thought about what buttons I would need, and the only admin button I could think of that I would like a button for is 'exit game'. And yes it will be the 'shift' button. On my pc I am currently using a single key for coin+start, and I find it quite handy. But if I do go for a coin door, which I am doubting again, I do want it to work like the real thing.

That coin door doesn't come with coin mechs or a cashbox or a harness (depending on which version you order) and I think it's crazy expensive for what you get.  

The product description does list 'Fitted with $.25 U.S. Coin Mech', but I have no clue what a Harness or Meter is.

Mysterioii

• Offline Offline
« Reply #37 on: April 11, 2012, 11:44:02 am »

Well I thought about what buttons I would need, and the only admin button I could think of that I would like a button for is 'exit game'.

Pause comes in really handy!  Of course for consoles pause and start are generally the same, but it's great for mame.  You might not need a dedicated button but I'd suggest at least assigning a shifted button to Pause.

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #38 on: April 11, 2012, 09:58:54 pm »
I got my coindoor off ebay, some guy was dimantling machines and selling the pieces.

I was able to get mine for 20 bucks, only thing i can say to look out for is make sure they give you the mounting harware.

The guy i bought from said the price was for the door only and was trying to charge me 2 bucks for each bolt and clamp (needed 6)

After chatting with him via email i convicned him to send me the hardware if i paid for shipping. 

Your harness might be the wring needed for the leds and the ground and signal for the coin mechs, which you really dont need cause you can run the wiring your self.

1/2" is fine you just cut the hole and the clamps will hold the door in place....

Meter? thats a new one to me, maybe the coin counter.

edekoning

• Offline Offline
« Reply #39 on: April 15, 2012, 08:30:26 am »
I actually started building my cab :applaud:

I made a template for the sides out of 9mm MDF, then router copied that onto 18mm MDF and slot-cutted the two sides for t-molding. See the picture for my high tech workshop, also notice the thick layer of MDF dust.

Unfortunately, I made one gigantic mistake, when I was drawing the shape of the template onto the MDF. I drew parallel vertical lines through all corners and then on each line marked the horizontal position of that corner. Then I just connected the corner points and voila. But I somehow managed to misplace one corner point onto the wrong line. I only found out after both sides were router copied, pfff. Luckily its the back-top part of the cab that is effected, so its not that big of a deal. The picture shows the red line that I ended up with, also note that this line is no longer parallel with the speaker panel :(

Sorry for the lack of pictures, but my nikon d70s dslr fell on the ground, and now the lens and body are broken.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 01:58:09 am by edekoning »

edekoning

• Offline Offline
« Reply #40 on: June 09, 2012, 01:53:59 pm »
I really overestimated the amount of time I would be able to work on this project. It also doesn't help that I can only work in the garden, and its been raining way to often.

Anyway, I re-cut both sides (making them a few centimeters taller) as I was not pleased with the shape after my first attempt. See the picture below for the new side (left) vs the old side (right). This time round I was pleased with the results, so I once again routed a slot for the t-molding. I then cut various holes in my template for where the battons will go. I then placed the template on one of the sides and glue/screwed the battons in place. Repeated with the other side, and the result is virtually perfectly lined up battons on both sides (I sorta screwed this up on my scale prototype).

edekoning

• Offline Offline
« Reply #41 on: June 09, 2012, 02:03:45 pm »
I also bought a coin-door with 50 euro cent mechs! After cutting a hole in the lower front panel, the coin-door fitted perfectly, but I could not screw down the clamps. Apparently the wood was not thick enough, pfff. I use 12mm (1/2") MDF for the front and back. I still had some 6mm MDF, so I glued a piece onto the 12mm MDF. I then used my router with a flush trim bit to copy/cut the hole. Now the coin-door fits and can be properly secured.

edekoning

• Offline Offline
« Reply #42 on: June 10, 2012, 11:25:34 am »
Today I made the base of the cabinet. I bought 4 sturdy wheels, 2 fixed and 2 rotating. They are about 8cm tall. I will add the wheels once the base plate is fixed to both sides of the cabinet.

edekoning

• Offline Offline
« Reply #43 on: June 10, 2012, 11:35:40 am »
I also bought a 24" Dell Ultrasharp U2412M. Its an IPS panel that has an aspect ratio of 16:10. Its size is equivalent to a 21" 4:3 monitor. At first I wanted a non-TN panel that's 27"+. But 27" monitors only seem to come in 16:9 aspect ratio's (equivalent to a 22" 4:3). 30" monitors on the other hand are just way too expensive.

A great site for comparing monitor sizes with various aspect ratios is http://tvcalculator.com/.

The Dell monitor has a Vesa mount, although its sunken about 6mm. Notice that the area around the screw holes are only sunken about 5mm. Who designs these things? To compensate I cut out a piece of 6mm MDF and routed out another mm for the screw hole areas. A perfect fit, and flush with the back of the monitor :) I then used a piece of paper to mark the exact position of the screw holes, and used that as a drill template. Next I glued this piece onto a larger 18mm MDF board, and extended the drilled holes through this board. Test fitting the monitor revealed that one hole was off by 0.5 mm, so I widened that hole from 4mm to 5mm. Now everything fits nicely. Notice that the cabinet will be slightly wider than the 24" monitor.

edekoning

• Offline Offline
« Reply #44 on: July 09, 2012, 02:50:46 pm »
I made some progress :applaud:

First of all I bought a lot of stuff:
- 2x usb pass-through (Neutrik NAUSB-W-B) --> these will be placed somewhere below the control panel.
- 1x ethernet pass through (Neutrik etherCON D Series – RJ-45) --> backside, above the power plug
- 1x Power plug with switch --> backside
- 1x master/slave power strip
- Edifier S330D 2.1 audio black --> I thinking of placing the volume control between the two usb port below the control panel
- 3D carbon fiber vinyl (1.52 x 200 cm)

I choose the Edifier set, because it has a nice looking volume control and its speakers don't have any weird curved surfaces. I hoping that means they will be easier to mount.

After seeing the 'Huge 360 Wireless Fight Stick' (http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=120404.0) with 3D carbon fiber vinyl, I just had to buy some. So I'm thinking of at least covering the front of the cab below the control panel with 3D carbon fiber vinyl. Maybe I'll also cover that back and top, but I first want to see how it looks on the front.

I do have one question about how to connect the power strip to the power plug. If I cut the cord from my power strip I'll find three wires, and on the back of the power plug are three pins. I assume the top one is the ground, but how do I know what the other two are? Does it even matter which wire I connect to which pin?

SNAAKE

• Offline Offline
« Reply #45 on: July 09, 2012, 03:00:47 pm »
just googled that speaker system. assuming you did buy it for like $200??  :dizzy:

edekoning

• Offline Offline
« Reply #46 on: July 09, 2012, 03:27:00 pm »
Besides spending money, I also did some woodworking. I cut all 4 back panels, and 2 top panels. All of these panels, including the bottom panel, and monitor mount were screw/glued to the sides. I just put the entire thing on its wheels and it feels rock solid! For those wondering why I have 4 panels in the back; from bottom to top:
1- the lower panel is fixed in place and provides the ethernet and power connections, as I did not want these connectors on a removable panel. Notice that this panel is not rectangular in shape. This is so the panel does not sit in the way of the subwoofer.
2- removable panel that gives access to the lower part of the cabinet, containing the coindoor/mech/bucket, sub, and power strip. It has a window for the sub. The panel is fixed using 4 M6 insertnuts and 4 M6 bolts.
3- small fixed panel that sits directly behind the pc. It has a window to provide fresh air to the pc, and two buttons. The buttons are to power-up the pc, and maybe to enable/disable a SLG 300 scanline generator.
4- large removable panel that provides access to the upper part of the cabinet, containing the pc, monitor, speakers. The panel is fixed using 4 M6 insertnuts and 4 M6 bolts. Well actually 3 at the moment, because I accidentally bought a M10 insertnut, grrr.
One of the top panels also has a hole to allow warm air to exit the cabinet. All holes were routed with a 45 degree chamfer bit, and will be covered by a (black) aluminium mesh and possibly speaker cloth.

Sorry for the lousy ipod photos, but my DSLR died, and I'm spending too much money on my cab to be able to get it fixed/replaced :(

edekoning

• Offline Offline
« Reply #47 on: July 09, 2012, 03:31:26 pm »
just googled that speaker system. assuming you did buy it for like $200??  :dizzy:

No it cost me 138€ or 160$ including shipping. My other option would have been the Logitech Speaker System Z623, which costs about the same.

Drnick

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 06, 2023, 01:19:48 pm
  • Plodding Through Life
« Reply #48 on: August 05, 2012, 09:51:32 am »
Any more movement on this?  As for the carbon fibre wrap.  It looks good on the top/Back and would probably look good on the front as well.  The only thing with it is you have to have about 1.5 inches of excess wrapped over sides/back for it to stick down and stay properly stuck. I ended up wrapping mine as if they were xmas presents, so 1 side looks perfect but the other sides a complete mess :)  Luckily Nobody will be seeing the inside of my machine anytime soon :)   Oh it also does a really good job on the bezel area too.   One thing is to seal the mdf with primer and then use the wrap.  It does stick perfect to the front sides of MDF but struggles to hold on a cut edge.  Priming and sanding would give you better adhesion.

edekoning

• Offline Offline
« Reply #49 on: August 11, 2012, 04:43:16 pm »
... One thing is to seal the mdf with primer and then use the wrap.  It does stick perfect to the front sides of MDF but struggles to hold on a cut edge.  Priming and sanding would give you better adhesion.

Thanks for the words of caution. I gues I'll just try it out on a spair piece of MDF first. I was planning on sealing the MDF, using primer, putting a few layers of paint on, and then applying the carbon fiber vinyl. The reason being I'm not yet sure what parts I will cover with the carbon fiber, so I'm just gonna paint the entire cab black first. I am also planning on folding the vinyl slightly into the t-molding slot, so that the t-molding itself will keep it in place.

Regarding my progress, I was too busy enjoying the beach and sea in france ;D  But now that I am back I did get the two front panels done that sit directly below the CP.

It took me some time to come up with a nice way to mount the wired remote volume control that came with the 2.1 audio set. The outside diameter of the remote is 6cm, and the volume knob is about 4.8 cm in diameter. As the volume knob is surrounded by a blue led ring I decided on drilling a 5cm hole for the volume knob. The volume knob is about 12mm high, which is the same as the MDF panels that I am using. I wanted it to stick out slightly, so at the back I routed out a circle of 6cm diameter with a depth of 5mm. This means the knob now extends 5mm outside of the panel. I then used a 45 degree chamfer router bit on the front. This makes everything look real nice and gives my fingers just a bit of extra space for using the volume-knob. I still needed to mount the remote control somehow to the back of the panel. I choose to take a 10x10cm piece of scrap 12mm MDF, and drill a 6cm hole through. This piece was glued to the back of the panel. A small grove was added to accommodate for the wire of the remote control. Now the remote still extend a few mm above the panel. This was easily fixed with using a few small rings as spacers; a single metal bar and two screws keep the remote firmly in its place. Last but not least I added two USB ports.

After gleuing the panel two the cabinet, I started working on the panel that sits directly below the CP and meets the previous panel with a 45 degree angle. Unfortunately, my cuts were not precise enough, so the panels do not meet where they were supposed to. Luckily can I sand down the sharp edge (still to be done), and I will be covering the small gap with vinyl.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2012, 04:45:14 pm by edekoning »

edekoning

• Offline Offline
« Reply #50 on: August 11, 2012, 04:54:56 pm »
I also mounted a cake tin to function as a coin box. I first attached three L-brackets below the coin door and covered these with felt. I then placed the cake tin on top of these  L-brackets and secured it to the front panel using three screws. I added the subwoofer to verify there was enough space left between the sub, the coin box, and the back panel.

Next up is the monitor bezel. I'm still not sure on whether I should go for real glass or plexiglass. I'm also not sure what thickness to use. Is 4 mm enough? What will be the difference in weight between glass and plexiglass, assuming I'm going for 4mm x 60cm x 70cm. I also notice many builds use slightly tinted (plexi)glass, does that really make a big difference?
« Last Edit: August 11, 2012, 04:59:49 pm by edekoning »

Slippyblade

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 16, 2023, 11:39:51 am
  • And to the death god we say, "Not today!"
« Reply #51 on: August 11, 2012, 05:10:43 pm »
I'm impressed with the progress on this.  And jealous as hell of the beach in France thing.  I'm in the middle of the desert and the closest thing I see to beach is sand dunes.

edekoning

• Offline Offline
« Reply #52 on: August 12, 2012, 11:38:34 am »
I'm impressed with the progress on this.

Thanks!

Today I worked on the bezel (6mm MDF 60x70 cm). And completely ruined it :badmood: One of the clamps for the straightedge was not properly secured, causing the straight edge to move while I was routing out the monitor area. Now I have to wait a whole week before I have some free time to try again, grrr.

MacGyver

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 18, 2023, 12:49:00 am
    • Project Build
« Reply #53 on: August 12, 2012, 01:34:29 pm »
It looks great so far.  When you were having trouble finding that Pink lumin disc I secretly was hoping you would try to make one from scratch, that way someone else would go one step further and do their whole sides in custom built lumin glass.

A crackle tube works similarly to a Luminglas device. The beads, coatings, the gases, and the power supply are the same. The shape is the only thing that is different.
From http://lightenergystudio.com/plasma/crackletubes/crackletubes.html
It basically consists of phosphor-covered glass beads sandwiched between two glass plates and a high-frequency HV source around 2.5kv in the middle.  25% helium 75% argon, at regular room pressure, No vacuum...but only said gasses can be in the shape used.  Use sand in a bottle, if nothing else, but make the container flat.  The thicker it is it will have the electric charges travel where they will not be visible.

I hope the weather stays nice for you for the rest of your build.

Hockeyboy

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 17, 2022, 02:48:38 pm
« Reply #54 on: August 12, 2012, 01:53:17 pm »

I do have one question about how to connect the power strip to the power plug. If I cut the cord from my power strip I'll find three wires, and on the back of the power plug are three pins. I assume the top one is the ground, but how do I know what the other two are? Does it even matter which wire I connect to which pin?

I'm not 100% sure if wiring in your country is different than the U.S., but in regards to that power plug...yes, you are right, your top pin should be a green wire for ground. The other two pins should be labelled 'H' or 'L' and 'N' -- the H stands for Hot and the L stands for Load, and this pin will take a black wire. The remaining pin, N, should take a white wire. Make sure you get wire that can handle the amp rating of the fuse inside or your wires could get very hot and actually melt the covering, which would lead to a dangerous short-circuit situation. I'm going to do the same thing as you are and I am planning on putting some heat-shrink tubing over the wires, soldering the wire to the pins of the plug, then sliding the tubing down over the pins and shrinking them around the end of the wire and the pin area.

Cab is looking great by the way.  :applaud:

edekoning

• Offline Offline
« Reply #55 on: August 12, 2012, 03:46:46 pm »
It looks great so far.  When you were having trouble finding that Pink lumin disc I secretly was hoping you would try to make one from scratch, that way someone else would go one step further and do their whole sides in custom built lumin glass.

I know absolutely nothing about elektronics :blank:, so I'm really happy I found one in China :P

I'm not 100% sure if wiring in your country is different than the U.S., but in regards to that power plug...yes, you are right, your top pin should be a green wire for ground. The other two pins should be labelled 'H' or 'L' and 'N' -- the H stands for Hot and the L stands for Load, and this pin will take a black wire.

The color coding is different here, but the real problem is that there is no text/label/icon to be found anywhere on the plug. I guess I'll try mailing the seller, though I did notice he no longer sells these plugs.

edekoning

• Offline Offline
« Reply #56 on: August 20, 2012, 03:45:05 pm »
This weekend I redid the bezel, and I'm really happy with the results. You can see from the first picture that I had some help from our new 9 weeks old cat :lol

Afterwards I started browsing these forums to get some inspiration on how to actually mount the bezel. In the end I chose to take a 30x45 mm piece of wood and route out a channel that's about 11 mm wide, and 15mm deep. I then used 4 metal L-brackets to secure this piece to the cab, which was extremely annoying to do. What I did was clamp down two pieces of wood, upon which I rested the bezel and its holder. I spend about half an hour getting the angle and height just right. A pair of extra hands would have probably made this a lot less frustrating.

I have about 3-4mm of space left in the bezel holder for the plexiglass. I already ordered several samples from http://www.plexiglas-shop.com at 3 EUR a piece (includes shipping).

I had a spare piece of 18mm MDF left from which I cut a CP. Even though, I like the shape and It looks great on the cab, I will probably re-cut it. Main reason being I would like the sides and front to extend an additional 10mm to 15mm.Furthermore, the distance between the CP and the bezel is now about 4mm too wide. At least I can use this piece to test top mounting a joystick on.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 03:47:35 pm by edekoning »

edekoning

• Offline Offline
« Reply #57 on: August 31, 2012, 06:07:50 am »
I received a bunch of plexi glas samples I ordered from plexiglas-shop.com. The samples include 20%, 50%, 70%, 90% Transmission. I really like how the 20% one hides the entire bezel (once its black) and monitor. Unfortunately, I do find it too dark, even after putting the brightness up to 100%. The 50% one on the other hand is a lot lighter, and I feel the sweet spot for me would be around 35%. Since that's not available I ordered a 700x600x3 mm 50% sheet.

Also started working on the speaker panel. Nearly done, so expect pictures this weekend.

brad808

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 22, 2023, 08:18:15 pm
« Reply #58 on: August 31, 2012, 06:47:02 am »
I don't know how I missed this one for a couple months but I'm glad I found it! Looks really good :applaud:

edekoning

• Offline Offline
« Reply #59 on: August 31, 2012, 03:32:00 pm »
I don't know how I missed this one for a couple months but I'm glad I found it! Looks really good :applaud:

Thanks!

The speaker panel is now finished. I still need to mount it, but that will have to wait until I have received the plexiglass for the bezel.

For the speaker panel I wanted something that allows for easy access and removal of the two speakers. So no screws, glue, kit, tape or whatever. Instead I decided to make a frame at the back of the panel which would hold the speakers in place. I started out by routing out two holes, that I traced with a 45 degree chamfer bit set to a depth of about 5mm. I still had some spare 34x44mm wood strips that I sorta cut to size. I glued one wood piece at a time making sure most of the other pieces were fixed in place using clamps. During this process I had put my speakers into plastic sandwich bags. This allowed me to align and tightly clamp all the pieces of wood together without being afriad of accidentally gluing the speakers in the process ;)

Note that the small center piece that sits between the two speakers is not glued. Instead I first place the speakers and then jam that center piece in between. Its a real tight fit, and I think the results look great. I was first going to wrap the speakers in thick black speaker cloth, but decided against it, as I like the way the individual speaker units are showing.

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #60 on: September 01, 2012, 10:15:15 am »
Dude,

I applaude your attention to detail, the clean the lines and router work.

Every small piece you do, the end result is just immaculate.........Great job man, keep it coming.... :applaud: :applaud: :applaud: :applaud:

edekoning

• Offline Offline
« Reply #61 on: September 06, 2012, 01:53:56 pm »
Dude,

I applaude your attention to detail, the clean the lines and router work.

Every small piece you do, the end result is just immaculate.........Great job man, keep it coming.... :applaud: :applaud: :applaud: :applaud:

Thanks for the kind words!  You know, before I started this project, I never thought I would be almost exclusively using a router. Now I wish I had bought a better one ;)

Today I received the plexi for the bezel, which included a 13cm long scratch on it :cry: It was also cut to wide, meaning it does not even fit. So I can't  mount the speaker panel yet, sigh. The only good news I have is that I found a nice sheet of heavy aluminium that I cut a 60 cm x 20 cm kick plate out. Not sure yet if I will spray paint it black, or just leave it as it is.

Slippyblade

• Offline Offline
« Reply #62 on: September 06, 2012, 06:40:05 pm »
Leave the kickplate as-is.  I LOVE the look of silver diamond plate for kickplates.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:39:08 pm
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #63 on: September 06, 2012, 10:48:05 pm »
Leave the kickplate as-is.

+1.  A shiny metal kickplate sounds like it would work well with the Magneto theme, plus less chance of damaged finish if someone does accidently kick it.

Scott

edekoning

• Offline Offline
« Reply #64 on: September 07, 2012, 02:32:07 am »
+1.  A shiny metal kickplate sounds like it would work well with the Magneto theme, plus less chance of damaged finish if someone does accidently kick it.
Scott

Plus I really like how shiny it is, so I'll leave it as it is.

MacGyver

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 18, 2023, 12:49:00 am
    • Project Build
« Reply #65 on: September 10, 2012, 03:37:17 am »
Great work so far, that diamond kickplate looks really nice, I might have to find some myself.

Kiatuthlanna

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 15, 2013, 02:50:48 pm
« Reply #66 on: September 10, 2012, 01:30:58 pm »
I agree on the kickplate. That looks awesome and shiny just as it is.

eds1275

• Offline Offline
  • Rock and Roll!
« Reply #67 on: September 11, 2012, 12:48:48 pm »
I agree on the kickplate. That looks awesome and shiny just as it is.

unless it can be annodized in red of course!

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #68 on: September 11, 2012, 01:25:42 pm »
Found red .063" aluminum diamond plate here.

Scott

edekoning

• Offline Offline
« Reply #69 on: September 19, 2012, 02:23:22 pm »
Found red .063" aluminum diamond plate here.

Jeez they even sell different sizes. I got mine from a local shop and they only had 150x100 cm. I only needed 60x20 cm, so I have a lot left over. Seeing as I already spent 40 euro on it I don't think I'll be ordering a new one.

When I received the damaged plexiglass I took some pictures and send plexiglas-shop.com an email. The next day they called me to apologize, and three days later I received a replacement sheet without any scratches. I get to keep the sheet I had already received, so I can use the good part (about 60x50 cm) on a later project. So I was pleasently surprised by their customer service :applaud:

This also meant I was able to mount the speaker panel. Now its painting time!

edekoning

• Offline Offline
« Reply #70 on: November 03, 2012, 08:10:47 am »
I finished fully painting the cabinet, both inside and outside: 2x primer, 2x black (satin glow) :applaud: Initially I had some problems after the first layer of primer dried. A lot of MDF fibers were visible and feelable. (http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,122727). The resulting paint job is ok, but certainly not great. Its good enough, because almost everything will get covered up with vinyl anyway. If that wasn't the case I would have added at least two more layers of paint.
The painting itself took a lot of time. Sanding eveything took about 3 hours, applying one layer of paint about 4 hours. But I also had to paint the two back panels and bezel, one side at a time. So that's 20+ hours in total for painting :o. I also spray painted the three metal grills (Sub - lower back panel, Computer - center back panel, Vent - top panel).

edekoning

• Offline Offline
« Reply #71 on: November 03, 2012, 08:20:50 am »
Next I worked on the sideart. I had an image of the original x-men COTA side-art. Problem was that it was only 62 cm (25") tall at 200 dpi. I needed 193 cm (77"), and this is after scaling and cropping the image. I tried vectorizing the image using VectorMagic, and hand editing the results. The results were not that great (http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,123262). Then I found the tutorial: Enlarging Images Cleanly In Photoshop by TheShaner (http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,122054.0.html). I tried it and am very happy with the results. Now I just have to wait until I receive the printed version from GameOnGrafix  :cheers:

TheShaner

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 23, 2017, 10:42:25 pm
  • Shut your noise tube filthy Taco Human!
« Reply #72 on: November 03, 2012, 06:40:20 pm »
This cab is looking sharp!   Glad the tutorial helped.

edekoning

• Offline Offline
« Reply #73 on: November 04, 2012, 07:12:29 am »
Today I ordered a KeyWiz and LedWiz from GroovyGameGear. I also wanted to try out various joysticks (JLW, LS-32), buttons (concave, convex, chrome, IL, seimitsu, ...), led options (full rgb, single color, pele ring, ...), switches (cherry, zippy, leaf, ...). So I went to Paradise Arcade Shop, and was about to order until I saw the shipping costs of 58,-, for an 80,- order :o I mailed them to ask why this is so freaking expensive. I really hope they have another low-cost shipping alternative even if it means shipping will take a month. I mean its not like I am on a tight schedule :lol

eds1275

• Offline Offline
  • Rock and Roll!
« Reply #74 on: November 04, 2012, 01:19:56 pm »
I believe that they have high shipping prices because they are in Hawaii or something like that. Apparently they put candy in your order though.

kingchimp

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 17, 2023, 08:59:20 am
« Reply #75 on: November 08, 2012, 06:16:24 am »
As you're in Europe, you may well find Arcadeshop.de or Gremlinsolutions.co.uk are a bit more reasonable on the shipping rates, although they may not have quite the same selection.

Excellent looking work so far by the way.  :)

edekoning

• Offline Offline
« Reply #76 on: November 08, 2012, 06:59:16 am »
Thanks

I already know about arcadeshop.de, its where I ordered my coin door. They do have most of the buttons that I wanted to order at paradise, just not any switch or led options. So I did order the buttons I'm interested in, seeing as shipping is only 10,-. I'll take a look at Gremlinsolutions.co.uk when I get back home.

Oh and does anybody know if the "RGB-Drive™ Pushbutton Lighting module" from GroovyGameGear are compatible with IL push buttons?

SNAAKE

• Offline Offline
« Reply #77 on: November 08, 2012, 12:08:56 pm »
I have that picture cleared up without the logo above. if you want I can email it to you. send me a message.

nice cabinet. needs more GRABITY SHQUEZHE >:D

griffindodd

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 29, 2023, 02:43:19 pm
  • Builds Stuff
« Reply #78 on: November 08, 2012, 12:10:32 pm »
A very nice looking build, clean and sharp, well done Sir. I really like the side art, plenty of KERPOW!!!!
I drink and I know things.

edekoning

• Offline Offline
« Reply #79 on: November 09, 2012, 04:06:28 pm »
@ SNAAKE

PM send, oh and ??? GRABITY SHQUEZHE ???

@ griffindodd

Thanks man, I'm also really enjoying you're Revolution build!

I was hoping I could apply the side art this weekend, but its still waiting for customs clearance since the 6th :hissy:

edekoning

• Offline Offline
« Reply #80 on: November 15, 2012, 02:18:17 am »
Well the postman tried to deliver the side art twice this week. And as usual I was @work. So now I can pick it up from the postal office, which is only open from when I'm @work. :banghead: So I'll just have to wait till saturday before I can pick it up. Man I'm really hate to wait any longer, as I'm so excited to see how it turned out ;D

Would it make sense to slightly sand the sides before applying the side art?

edekoning

• Offline Offline
« Reply #81 on: November 21, 2012, 03:31:34 pm »
Side art applied! Applying it was harder than I had anticipated though. On the first side I initially peeled away to much of the backing. It then accidentally touched the cabinet and was immediately stuck to it. When I pulled it loose, some tiny pieces of the paint layers also came loose. There was no way of getting that off the side art, so I just left it. So now there are a few small bumps underneath the side art at the bottom on one side. But these are only really visible when sunlight hits the surface a steep angle, which never really happens in my room.
Afterwards I cut off the excess vinyl with an sharp razor, and used a router to try and to make the side art flush with the cabinet. This did not workout though, as the router did not seem to be removing anything. Instead I retraced the sides with a sharp razor blade held at a slight angle. When I was happy with the results I installed the black t-molding. I used a normal small hammer wrapped in several socks for this. This did scratch the t-molding, but that only became apparent the next morning when I actually had some sunlight to work with. Oh well, live and learn I guess.

Next up was applying the carbon fiber vinyl to the lower front of the cabinet. Applying it was a b*&%$! The adhesion nowhere matches that of the side art. When heated and stretched, it just pulls itself loose again when it cools down and regained its original shape. Especially the part where the vinyl is wrapped inside the hole for the volume control was a pain to do, as it would just not stick. In the end I heated it a lot, then folded it around the edge of the hole, and quickly jammed the volume control in there. After securing it, I hoped it would keep the vinyl in place. The next day showed the vinyl had come loose a bit. But you really need to get on you knees and look very closely to be able to spot it. Still I'm not applying any more carbon fiber vinyl until this piece stays into place for a few weeks.

Oh I also installed the two usb ports, coin door, and glued on the kick plate with some epoxy glue. Overall I'm very happy with the results :applaud: The pictures really don't do it justice; especially how the light reacts with the carbon fiber vinyl is impossible for me to record using a flash.

TheShaner

• Offline Offline
« Reply #82 on: November 21, 2012, 03:37:20 pm »
Very Nice!  :applaud:

HaRuMaN

• Supreme Solder King
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+45)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 05:50:16 pm
  • boom
    • Arcade Madness
« Reply #83 on: November 21, 2012, 03:44:50 pm »
Are the Xmen and Capcom logos supposed to be backwards?

TheShaner

• Offline Offline
« Reply #84 on: November 21, 2012, 03:53:06 pm »
Wow, that is funny, I totally didnt register that.  I bet they are correct on the other side!

edekoning

• Offline Offline
« Reply #85 on: November 21, 2012, 04:30:50 pm »
Yes one side is readable, and the other is mirrored. The reason being that I did not like how the image looked non mirrored. I really wanted to see his "power" hand on both sides. Personally it does not bother me the text is backwards, as the text is already incomplete anyway.

edekoning

• Offline Offline
« Reply #86 on: November 25, 2012, 02:35:42 pm »
Another update!

I covered the lower removable panel from the back with carbon fiber vinyl, and attached the metal grill (spray painted matte black). Then I applied some more vinyl to the lowest panel on the back. I also mounted a master/slave power strip, power plug and Ethernet pass-though port. The first time I ever crimped a wire and used heat-shrink tubing ;D For those interested, I bought a knipex 97 21 215 B crimping tool, which can be used to crimp non-insulated open plug-type connectors. It produced perfect crimps without any trouble.

fighterfanatic

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 30, 2023, 12:53:13 am
  • Down Right Fierce
« Reply #87 on: November 25, 2012, 08:17:40 pm »
Love the full side art.  :applaud:

Acids

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 13, 2023, 05:50:45 am
  • Bring It.. Smart arse!
« Reply #88 on: November 26, 2012, 02:12:41 am »
Another update!

I covered the lower removable panel from the back with carbon fiber vinyl, and attached the metal grill (spray painted matte black).

where did you get the vinyl from??

edekoning

• Offline Offline
« Reply #89 on: November 26, 2012, 02:32:05 am »

I got the carbon vinyl from a dutch webshop: www.premiumvinyls.nl/.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #90 on: November 26, 2012, 03:38:58 am »

Griffindodd used a similar "3M 1080 3D Vinyl" carbon fiber patterned vinyl in his Revolution build here, in case you are looking for a state-side supplier.

Scott

edekoning

• Offline Offline
« Reply #91 on: November 26, 2012, 03:57:38 am »
I have seen several short clips about that 3M vinyl, where they multiple times: heat it, stretch it, push it on, pull it loose, etc. It looks like really awesome stuff. However, from my experience you can heat it and stretch it, but as soon as it cools down, it will try to regain its original shape and form. That usually means it just pulls itself loose again :(. Now that might be because my vinyl is of lower quality than the 3M stuff, or that it just does not stick well enough to painted wood (the stuff I have is actually meant to go on cars :))

edekoning

• Offline Offline
« Reply #92 on: December 10, 2012, 02:53:40 pm »
I applied more vinyl to the cab. This time to the center back panel and the top panel. I also tried to apply it to the top removable panel, but I screwed up big time. I somehow managed to get the paper side of the vinyl backing onto the last 10 cm of the adhesive side of the vinyl. And when paper hits that adhesive, its all over. What's even worse is that I had run out of vinyl, so I had to order again. Still waiting :( For anybody else ordering 3d carbon fiber vinyl: order twice as much as you think you will need! I did not take into account that the vinyl has a print. So when cutting two pieces, you need to make sure the direction of the print will match up.

I also installed the speakers, monitor, and bezel. I needed to sand off all the paint from the sides of the bezel as it just would not fit. One final thing I did was spray paint the M6 rings and bolts holding the removable back panels black. That way they blend in with the rest of all the other black goodness.

Its finally starting too look like a proper cab, and I'm getting more and more exited with each little bit of progress I make.

edekoning

• Offline Offline
« Reply #93 on: December 29, 2012, 01:46:11 pm »
I bought some PC parts:
  • CPU:     i5-3570K
  • Mobo:   Asrock B75 Pro3-M
  • RAM:    8GB Corsair Vengence (low profile, 1600Mhz)
  • Cooler: Scythe Nugen 3 PCGH
  • SSD:    128GB Samsung 830
  • PSU:    Seasonic G-550 (modular,  80 Plus Gold)

I mounted the parts into the cab and wired everything, including the Edifier 2.1 audio set and coin door. I then realized I still needed a 2-pin header cable to connect the motherboard to the power button :banghead: I ordered a bunch of them online and in the mean time I'll just assume that all my untested wiring is flawless ;)

The SSD came packaged in a very sturdy plastic holder. As it takes quite some force to remove the SSD from this holder, I decided to just mount this holder directly in the cab -> worked great :applaud:

floriske.nl

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 15, 2015, 01:17:21 pm
  • I am building my own arcade controls!
« Reply #94 on: December 29, 2012, 02:36:36 pm »
Wow!

Didn't see this build before and I must say it looks very clean, professional and well crafted!  :applaud: :applaud:

edekoning

• Offline Offline
« Reply #95 on: January 03, 2013, 03:40:18 pm »
Didn't see this build before and I must say it looks very clean, professional and well crafted!  :applaud: :applaud:

Bedankt!

A while ago I received some stuff:
-LedWiz
-KeyWiz
-RetroVga2
-GGG ChromaLite Illuminated Pushbutton (red + blue, and Premium Groovy-Micro™ Soft-Touch + Micro-Leaf microswitch)
-IL Clear, IL Black (cherry miscroswitch)
-Seimitsu PS-14-KN (red, purple, smoke)
-Seimitsu Balltop (red, purple, smoke)

The chrome buttons look really amazing, are super easy to setup, and light-up great. The only downside is that they feel very heavy, requiring too much force to push down. I also found the Soft-Touch switch to be very loud. The micro-leaf on the other hand is near silent. Unfortunately, they do not go well with the ChromaLite. They sit very loose and any lateral stress on the wire will result in the switch being yanked out of place, causing it to be permanently pressed.

With the IL buttons I tried to create the effect that Nephasth achieved on his excellent Two-Headed beast (http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=108719.0). I found my clear button to be rather yellowy, so I did not like it when unlit. The button itself seemed to feel pretty good though.

The Seimitsu buttons have a very different feel: less force required, quieter. I really like them the best. They also look pretty good, except for the red plunger color. The balltops on the other hand look and feel very cheap. The color is great, but there's this big ugly seam, and a very annoying dimple at the top.

Having decided on the Seimitsu buttons, I wanted to know how they look with leds. Since I have no Uila leds (sold out) or Pele leds (too expensive) I just removed the switch and used a Philips led lamp. It looked pretty awefull, as the cross shape of the bottom of the plunger becomes clearly visible (See here for details: http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,121965.msg1320603.html#msg1320603). I tried various thing to remedy this, but in the end decided on just spray painting the top of the plunger black. This results in a nice ring lighting effect, which looks great. One final note about the purple button, depending on the color of the light they might up blue!

So I ordered 14x red PS-14-KN Seimitsu buttons, 2 Sanwa JLW joysticks and some red and black Sanwa balltops. Hopefully the Sanwa balltops will be of better quality. I also wanted to buy a bunch of UILA leds, but they are sold out at both ParadiseArcadeShop and FocusAttack, grrr.

edekoning

• Offline Offline
« Reply #96 on: January 19, 2013, 08:22:51 am »
And here is my first attempt at a marque and CPO. I tried to keep the CPO simple, with just some lines and gradients. In the last pick I added the controls. Note that the buttons will be ring-lit using leds. Let me know what you think!
« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 08:26:12 am by edekoning »

Jumpman64

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 12, 2017, 04:58:42 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #97 on: January 19, 2013, 10:10:48 am »
Very nice.  I do feel like the CPO could use something in the center.  Perhaps a simple outline drawing of his helmet, or the x-men "x inside a circle" emblem?

Felsir

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 28, 2022, 01:21:47 pm
  • Creating cab artwork
    • Felsir's World
« Reply #98 on: January 20, 2013, 11:21:38 am »
Agreed. The plain black is a bit too plain. Perhaps a pattern of scratched metal or sheets of metal, recolored in dark red/purple hues?

I really like the colors of the buttons by the way. Especially the extra smoked grays, I haven't seen that one before. Really cool.

edekoning

• Offline Offline
« Reply #99 on: January 22, 2013, 03:13:29 pm »
Thanks for the feedback, I'll see what I can do. It might take some time though as its crunch time at work :(

edekoning

• Offline Offline
« Reply #100 on: January 26, 2013, 10:02:07 am »
How about this?

Felsir

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 28, 2022, 01:21:47 pm
  • Creating cab artwork
    • Felsir's World
« Reply #101 on: January 26, 2013, 11:06:20 am »
Yep, that works!

Jumpman64

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 12, 2017, 04:58:42 pm
« Reply #102 on: January 27, 2013, 05:31:57 pm »
Me like.

DaOld Man

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 13, 2023, 12:03:14 am
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
« Reply #103 on: January 27, 2013, 05:42:15 pm »
Me like too!

edekoning

• Offline Offline
« Reply #104 on: February 09, 2013, 07:46:04 am »
Before sending it to Game on Grafix, I have a small question. My CP will be 68x28 cm, so should I make the CPO that exact same size, or should I add a bit of black background making it slightly larger, say 70x30cm? I have not yet cut the CP, as I am planning to order a drill-template, and use that as a guide to cut the front curve.

In the mean time I spray painted all button plungers, and drilled small holes in each button for the led wiring. Unfortunately, ParadiseArcade does not expect to have the Uila leds in stock for at least another month.

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #105 on: February 09, 2013, 10:22:31 am »
Rule of thumb, always makes your graphic a little larger and trim...If it's too small then your screwed.

Man, as clean as the rest of this build is, I am highly surprised you cut corners on that side art.  You could have tossed your idea out to the forum and somebody would have crafted you something in photoshop.  Forum is full of art and graphics guys.

Capcom could have been centered at the bottom and x-men the right way..........

I love this build, very very clean, just not sure why you weren't as thorough with the most visual part of the cab....

Griffindodd might have had something similar already laid out and could have modified it.....

:cheers:

edekoning

• Offline Offline
« Reply #106 on: April 27, 2013, 08:17:59 am »
Well personally I don't mind that the text is cutoff not-centered, but the mirrored text is pretty lame. I initially planned to not mirror the image and just show Magneto's other side/shoulder/arm. But then my wife suddenly became very vocal, and insisted I did mirror it. She really wanted to see his raised hand on both sides. Oh well.

Anyway its finally not freezing anymore, so I was able to start working on the control panel :applaud:

I taped the drill-template to the MDF and then used a jigsaw to cut out the curve at the front. I then drilled a hole using a frostner-bit in a spare piece of MDF. Using my router I copied this hole x times onto the CP. The reason for using the router was that my hand-drill is oddly shaped, so I am never sure about the angle at which I am actually drilling. Using the router sure took longer, but I was able to precisely position each hole this way. Next step was to router away some space at the back for the buttons and joysticks, and cut the t-molding slot.
For attaching the JLWs I opted for M5 T-nuts. As they needed to be placed exactly, I used my router with a regular 6mm drill bit. This worked great and the holes ended up exactly where I wanted them and they went straight down 8). Since the top of a T-nut is about 1mm thick, I routed about 2mm away fromt he top of the CP, so I could easily cover up the T-nuts with MDF filler. Lastly I painted both side of the CP black.

Its really amazes me how versatile a router is, I'm practically using it for everything!

edekoning

• Offline Offline
« Reply #107 on: April 27, 2013, 01:42:59 pm »
More CP work! Added CPO, t-molding, buttons, and joysticks. No wiring yet though. In case you are wondering why I used two different balltops, its because I bought several different ones (one of each). I really like the color of the red bubble top (Seimitsu), although it has a very visible/feelable seam. I know that Paradise Arcade carries a red bubble top without seam, so I will be ordering those whenever those blasted Uila leds are back in stock. The CP will be held in place by use of three magnets (the ones used on furniture). These magnets are pretty strong (6KG a piece), so the CP will not be going anywhere while playing.

At this point I am really tempted to just start wiring the CP without waiting for those Uila leds. However, that would mean that when I do have the Uilas, I will need to unwire each button, take it out of the CP, insert led, put it back in the CP, and rewire everything. Needless to say it would be much easier to just wire everything including leds in one go. Oh well, I still have the marquee area to do.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2013, 01:45:19 pm by edekoning »

edekoning

• Offline Offline
« Reply #108 on: April 27, 2013, 01:56:54 pm »
I had some 2 unused Philips led lights lying around, that seemed like a good choice for behind the marquee. The good thing about these lights is that I could just screw them to the cab, and they can be tilted up or down. This means that by varying their angle I can easily control how much light will hit the marquee.

They also have a regular power plug, so I could just plug them in the smart power strip, and they will turn off/on when the PC does.

I got my marquee pre-installed (GameOnGrafix) to a piece of plexiglass. However, I expected it to be installed under the plexiglass. Instead it was glued on top of the plexiglass (the plexi is hidden behind the image). Can I use this as is, or do I need to put another piece of plexi in front of it? Just by holding the marquee roughly in place, I noticed a lot of light bleeding at the sides. What's the best way to remedy this?

sabreerbasAlpha

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 13, 2017, 07:28:29 pm
  • Remember those big 10ps?
« Reply #109 on: April 27, 2013, 06:10:52 pm »
In terms of Skill, The look and the design. And the fact it was of the sharpest cabs ive seen for a long time. This is without a doubt Killa. If you ever want to sell it. Please message me. I would buy that thing right now...!!! :notworthy:

edekoning

• Offline Offline
« Reply #110 on: April 28, 2013, 04:06:24 am »
In terms of Skill, The look and the design. And the fact it was of the sharpest cabs ive seen for a long time. This is without a doubt Killa. If you ever want to sell it. Please message me. I would buy that thing right now...!!! :notworthy:

Tnx, but I'm building this to be a keeper :) Anyway, I will be releasing the building plans, so you could just build it yourself :P

sabreerbasAlpha

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 13, 2017, 07:28:29 pm
  • Remember those big 10ps?
« Reply #111 on: April 28, 2013, 06:05:08 pm »

Tnx, but I'm building this to be a keeper :) Anyway, I will be releasing the building plans, so you could just build it yourself :P

Cant wait, Its mint honestly. Its one of the best I've seen for a while. You have some real skill with the tools.  :applaud:

Tonza

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 25, 2013, 01:41:45 pm
« Reply #112 on: May 02, 2013, 04:27:16 am »
Nice cab!

edekoning

• Offline Offline
« Reply #113 on: May 25, 2013, 08:19:32 am »
Nice cab!

Tnx!

I made a simple 1920x1200 mala layout in the same style as the CPO, that I am quite pleased with. The left shows the current game list, the right shows the current game's title screen, which is replaced by a video after 1 second. The bottom shows some general information about the current game: controls, #buttons, #players, resolution etc.

Since I am using a 120GB SSD I can't just copy over a full MAME rom set. So I needed to reduce the size of my 145 set. I tried using RomLister for that, but that just did not work out for various reasons:
  • I created a merged mame.xml file, but the output file appeared to be invalid XML as it contained illegal characters. Apparently RomLister just replaces escaped characters, such as &lt;, with their non-escaped form < -> oops
  • I also wanted to remove all game information for roms that I do not have from the mame.xml file. RomLister has a function for that, but after waiting for 90 minutes for it to complete I just gave up on it.
  • Searching is just incredibly slow. I have a relatively old PC with slow disk IO, and it just seems as if RomnLister parser the entire 90MB xml file every time I do a search. I just did not have the patience for that.
Instead I just wrote a few Python scripts:
  • mame_xmlcleaner.py - Makes a copy of mame.xml that is stripped of all information about non-existing roms.
  • mame_xml2csv.py - Outputs game information from the mame.xml file in csv format. Also uses catver.ini, nplayers.ini, controls.ini if available. The main purpose of this script is to allow for fast game searching and filtering using your spreadsheet program of choice (f.e. Excel). The script is setup in such a way that it can be easily changed to collect only that data that you are interested in.
  • mame_filemgr.py - Copy / move / delete roms and related files (as in chds, snaps, videos, etc). Only those files that correspond to roms listed in an input file are processed. This list can be a CSV file as generated by mame_xml2csv.py, or a 'rom names only' list as generated by Romlister.
These worked great and I ended up with a rom set of around 23GB :) If anybody is interested I can make these scripts available, after I clean them up a bit.

edekoning

• Offline Offline
« Reply #114 on: May 28, 2013, 02:21:25 pm »
I promised I would provide release the building plans, so here they are!

You'll need to open the file in Google SketchUp. All measurements can then be obtained via the 'Tape Measure Tool'.

If you have any questions about it, just let me know.

On a different note: I've been waiting for more than 5 months now, to be able to buy Uila leds for the Seimitsu buttons at ParadiseArcade. Communication with them has been rather one directional. I'm going to give it one more try this week to get some kind of ETA from them for when the Uila's will be restocked. If that fails, I'm just gonna go forward without leds :cry:
« Last Edit: March 29, 2016, 02:20:46 pm by edekoning »

keilmillerjr

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 06, 2023, 10:20:39 pm
  • Web Developer.
« Reply #115 on: June 09, 2013, 08:44:01 pm »
The carbon fiber vinyl looks awesome!

edekoning

• Offline Offline
« Reply #116 on: June 12, 2013, 03:23:03 pm »
The carbon fiber vinyl looks awesome!

I agree too bad most of it is on the back where its not very visible ;D

Finally I mounted the marquee :applaud: I kept postponing it, because I was unsure of what type of marquee retainer to use. I browsed several local shops, and could only find the standard aluminium L-brackets. So in the end I just bought few 1m strips (20mm x 15mm x 2mm). As the speaker panel is at an angle, I tried bending the aluminium, but that went nowhere. However, I found the angle of the marquee retainer is not that noticeable (see pictures). After spraying the retainer black, I glued the bottom one using epoxy glue. This was kinda tricky to do as I did not have that much area to work with, and could not use clamps to hold it in place. The top part is fastened with two screws, so I can easily remove it. The end result is really nice, as there are no visible screws! Well there are at the top, but you need to be at least 1.90m tall to be able to see them.
After doing a test fit I noticed lots of light bleeding along the sides. I decided cutting strips from some spare parts of the aluminium brackets, and attach these to the sides up against the plexiglass. I also sprayed these black, so the picture I took is not that clear. This did reduce the light bleeding but did not eliminate it. That's when I finally realized that the some light runs through the plexiglass and exits at the sides. So I took a black permanent marker and colored the sides of the plexiglass with it. All lightbleeding was now gone 8)

The only things left to do are:
-buy another red bubble top
-buy uila leds @ paradisearcadeshop*
-wire controls
-fine tune software
-enjoy a job well done

*This is proving extremely difficult, but supposedly they will be restocked this week. But they said that multiple times in the past 5 months as well :( I am gonna wait 10 more days, and then I'll just go with a led-less panel.

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #117 on: June 13, 2013, 07:50:00 pm »
Marquee lookin' sweet, nice clean lines

edekoning

• Offline Offline
« Reply #118 on: June 16, 2013, 07:59:09 am »
Marquee lookin' sweet, nice clean lines

The text/font comes from an old comic I had laying around, which I then copied in InkScape.

I was finally able to order the Uila leds!!! After waiting this long I didn't even care about the $60 shipping cost. Now I can't wait for the leds to arrive so I can finish this cab  :D
« Last Edit: June 16, 2013, 10:58:42 am by edekoning »

mgb

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 21, 2024, 06:18:13 pm
  • North East, US
Magneto cab
« Reply #119 on: June 16, 2013, 09:44:53 am »
Awesome job.
   This cabinet looks great.

Stinkfoot82

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 03, 2013, 05:48:41 am
  • Got a Stinkfoot?
« Reply #120 on: June 17, 2013, 05:45:57 am »
Pfwoaaaah netjes!

looks great, love the extreme neatness of it all.
Got a Stinkfoot?

edekoning

• Offline Offline
« Reply #121 on: June 17, 2013, 05:56:53 am »
Pfwoaaaah netjes!

looks great, love the extreme neatness of it all.

Bedankt, I'm pretty amazed myself how well it all turned out.

edekoning

• Offline Offline
« Reply #122 on: July 01, 2013, 03:27:02 pm »
Well I finally received my Uila leds, so I started wiring the CP. Man this sure was an awful task that took many hours. The end results is a bit of a mess, and its not quite finished yet. See I forgot to wire the Shazaaam! Key (shift functionality) to the P1 start button, so now I got no way to exit a game  :banghead: Furthermore, the P1 button 1 does not register all button presses. It seems to miss about 1 out of 15 or so. Luckily I still have one spare button, so I'll just swap it. Once these things are sorted I still need to configure LedBlinky and create some gamelists.

I also bought a Logitech K400 wireless touch keyboard. Its real small, has a touchpad so I don't need a mouse, fits precisely on the empty part of my CP, and I can store it behind the coindoor :applaud:

Ah so close now, but I refuse to play any games until its really done. Expect some pictures of the finished build soon  8)

TheShaner

• Offline Offline
« Reply #123 on: July 02, 2013, 02:44:18 pm »
Excellent Wiring!

drventure

• Offline Offline
« Reply #124 on: July 02, 2013, 03:33:09 pm »
I used one of those logitech keyboards for my jukebox project.

Small but not too small, and they work very nice.

Nice job on the cab!  :applaud:

edekoning

• Offline Offline
« Reply #125 on: July 02, 2013, 03:41:37 pm »
Excellent Wiring!
Nice job on the cab!  :applaud:

Thanks!

I just added the 1-click shazaam adapter, hoping it would allow me to use the P1 Start button for both P1 Start and as a shift key. But now that button will only send the shifted input ???. See the picture for how I wired the switch and adapter to the KeyWiz. Maybe an additional wire between the button and the P1 Start input will do the trick.

I already send Randy an email asking him what I am doing wrong. Hopefully he responds soon so I can finish this cab and start playing.

edekoning

• Offline Offline
« Reply #126 on: July 07, 2013, 09:30:46 am »
Got a reply back from Randy. Apparently I misread what the 1-click shazaaam adapter does. Its allows a single microswitch to act as a shift key, but it also sends out the shifted key code, not the original key code. Since I wired it to the P1Start KeyWiz input, I get the shifted input, which is P1Coin. So if I want to use P1Start as P1Start+Shift I have two options:

1- Wire the P1Start button to some other input and setup Mame to accept that input's shifted key as P1Start.
2- Reprogram the KeyWiz and change the shifted key for P1Start from P1Coin to P1Start.

I first tried option and everything worked! Then I got annoyed that certain P2 keys when shifted do stuff like insert coins and even exit. So I switched to option 2 and reprogrammed the KeyWiz by making all shifted and non-shifted P2 keys the same. This worked great!
Since the KeyWiz uses SDRAM, all changes are lost between reboots. So you need to reprogram the Keywiz each time windows boots. Fortunately this can be configured with a single click from within the KeyWiz Uploader software. I did so and rebooted the machine. Mala auto launched and most buttons did not work proper anymore. So I exited Mala, and saw that the KeyWiz uploader was still busy reprogramming the KeyWiz. Apparently, it froze when Mala autolaunched and only continued after I exited Mala. When it was done my KeyWiz appeared broken. Only the P2Up input still registers, all the other ones are dead. I tried rebooting reprogramming, re-installing the software, etc, but nothing helps :hissy: I send another email to Randy, waiting for a reply ...

I am so :angry: right now. I got all the leds working and Ledblinky properly configured. I was about to call this build done, and make some final photos, and now this happens...

edekoning

• Offline Offline
« Reply #127 on: August 16, 2013, 02:32:14 pm »
 :woot I'm calling this project done :woot

Although there is still some software tweaking to do, but I guess there will always be some tweaking left to do :P Anyways here are some final pics and a rather crappy movie to show off the leds (trust me they look way better in real life). Thanks for everyone who takes the time to answer questions, and post their projects on this great forum :applaud:

edekoning

• Offline Offline
« Reply #128 on: August 16, 2013, 02:33:06 pm »

rablack97

• Offline Offline
Re: Magneto cab [DONE]
« Reply #129 on: August 16, 2013, 02:48:02 pm »
very nice...congrats :applaud: :applaud: :applaud: :applaud:

Knievel

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 10, 2016, 10:29:09 pm
  • Who's up for a game of Stunt Cycle??
    • Knievel Kustoms
« Reply #130 on: August 16, 2013, 03:08:26 pm »
Nice work, very sharp cabinet. :)

Vigo

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #131 on: August 16, 2013, 03:44:27 pm »
 :drool Beautiful.  :applaud:

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 17, 2024, 01:15:07 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #132 on: August 16, 2013, 04:21:39 pm »
looks (mag)neat-o ! :cheers:
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

mcseforsale

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 18, 2023, 08:49:34 am
  • Creepy Mario Dude
« Reply #133 on: August 16, 2013, 05:52:47 pm »
That looks great!

AJ

DGP

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 29, 2019, 05:25:09 pm
  • Gamer4Life
    • My Toys...
« Reply #134 on: August 16, 2013, 07:59:54 pm »
 :applaud: :applaud: :applaud:

Very nice, love the CP !

Jason
Multi-Cade x2 (full size and bar top) / 3 screen Virtual Pin

DrumAnBass

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 01, 2024, 11:39:59 pm
  • "I love this computer magic!" - Viv Savage
« Reply #135 on: August 17, 2013, 02:08:52 am »
Another super slick build, amazing! Lots of really nice details, from the mesh for the sub to the cool illumination. Your wiring is impeccable...  Job well done!  :cheers:
"Some drink from the fountain of knowledge; I only gargle."

edekoning

• Offline Offline
« Reply #136 on: August 18, 2013, 03:31:52 am »
Thank you all for the kind words.

I've created a Picasa web album containing all 136 build pictures from this thread, enjoy:
https://plus.google.com/photos/105504065879104206989/albums/5913349230657010897

floriske.nl

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 15, 2015, 01:17:21 pm
  • I am building my own arcade controls!
« Reply #137 on: August 18, 2013, 05:18:18 am »
Great result. A cab to be proud of!

SNAAKE

• Offline Offline
« Reply #138 on: August 21, 2013, 05:14:24 pm »
neat  :cheers:

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 07:31:21 pm
« Reply #139 on: August 21, 2013, 05:23:01 pm »
Good job, but that mirrored image side still bugs the crap out of me.
Hopefully in the future you'll get a chance to fix that little quirk, but as is, the cabinet not too shabby.

Dawgz Rule

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 17, 2024, 09:16:18 am
  • The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs
« Reply #140 on: August 21, 2013, 06:24:43 pm »
Nice build with lots of great details. 
« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 06:06:32 am by Dawgz Rule »

edekoning

• Offline Offline
« Reply #141 on: August 22, 2013, 05:20:39 am »
Good job, but that mirrored image side still bugs the crap out of me.
Hopefully in the future you'll get a chance to fix that little quirk, but as is, the cabinet not too shabby.

Its more likely that I'll build a second one that will hide the mirrored image :)

kahlid74

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 01, 2021, 12:42:56 pm
  • Gaming for a better future!
    • GamersAnon
« Reply #142 on: August 22, 2013, 10:53:59 am »
Nice build quality.  Looking good.

edekoning

• Offline Offline
« Reply #143 on: October 26, 2013, 09:34:05 am »
I got a question about how I mounted my marquee. Hopefully this picture will clear things up.

Note that the top bracket is screwed in place, whereas the bottom one is glued, as I felt that there was not enough room for screwes there. I also used a black permanent marker on the sides of the marquee to further reduce light bleeding.

otsep

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 01, 2024, 02:25:24 pm
  • I'm your huckleberry...
« Reply #144 on: November 16, 2013, 05:18:06 pm »
Beautiful work! :applaud:

I've heard that slim cabs are less than stable. How is yours holding up? Does it feel top heavy?
Vids: Namco Rockin' Bowl-O-Rama
Pins: Aerosmith Pro, ST Premium Vault, Beatles Gold

Remember Wheaton's Law

jongunz

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 22, 2015, 11:57:42 pm
« Reply #145 on: November 17, 2013, 01:37:15 am »
My cab is pretty slim and it has no issues at all with tipping.

edekoning

• Offline Offline
« Reply #146 on: November 17, 2013, 09:17:03 am »
Beautiful work! :applaud:

I've heard that slim cabs are less than stable. How is yours holding up? Does it feel top heavy?

I don't consider my cab to be a true slim cab. At its base it is 50cm deep, and at the control panel its 65cm deep. During play I have no stability issues whatsoever. Only when I move it around do I have to be careful. The cab sits on carpet and has two free rotating caster wheels at the back. If these wheels need to make a half turn (when I start moving in opposite direction), then I need to make sure I push below the control panel, and not above it.

edekoning

• Offline Offline
« Reply #147 on: November 17, 2013, 09:28:28 am »
I had another question on how I cut out the ventilation holes using a router. I hope the following picture explains:

pic1 - The grey rectangle is the hole we want to cut out. First start by drilling a large hole inside that area, and make a rough cut using the jigsaw, starting from that hole (red outline).
pic2 - I precisely clamp two pieces of wood along two sides of the hole, and secure them in place using clamps. Using the router, and a template-copy bit, I move along these two pieces of wood (blue area). Notice that I did not start exactly in a corner, nor did I end in one.
pic3 - Move one piece of wood to the other side, and route the next part.
pic4 - Continue moving one piece of wood at a time. Take you're time positioning them and make sure they are fastened securely. Take it slow while routing.
When done I also used a 45 degree chamfer bit to give it a nicer look.

I've seen others use four pieces of wood, either screwing them in place, or building a template from them.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2013, 09:34:39 am by edekoning »

ChanceKJ

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 07, 2021, 02:52:06 pm
« Reply #148 on: November 17, 2013, 01:18:24 pm »
I love this cab. A lot of the design features of it are ones I'm also doing with mine, this helps me see what works to my liking and what doesn't. Great build!  (How did I not see this build until yesterday?!)

edekoning

• Offline Offline
« Reply #149 on: November 17, 2013, 03:03:09 pm »
I love this cab. A lot of the design features of it are ones I'm also doing with mine, this helps me see what works to my liking and what doesn't. Great build!  (How did I not see this build until yesterday?!)

Thanks! There are so many great builds on this forum, that its almost a day job to keep track of them all ;)

edekoning

• Offline Offline
Re: Magneto cab [DONE] [HDMI out added]
« Reply #150 on: December 30, 2013, 11:34:40 am »
Lately I bought a couple of Humble Indie Bundles. Unfortunately my PC is far too slow to play any of them (it doesn't even run FEZ :-[) I don't have the money now to buy a new PC, so in the mean time I thought of using my Cab (it does have a rather speedy PC setup). But I wanted to play these games on my TV while sitting on a couch ;D So I added an HDMI out on the back of my Cab, which connects to my TV.

Having to switch the display and audio to and from the TV is a hassle though. I'm trying to automate this, but making a frontend frontend :angel: Its basically a bunch of buttons that can switch audio/video, and launch software. So It will have a button to configure the KeyWiz and launch Mala on the Cab, or Steam big picture mode on the TV.

The software is not done yet, so I will report back when it is. I did already make:
* A small program to list all display devices including settings, and to switch the primary display device. Who designs these horrible Windows APIs ???
* A AutoHotkey script, compiled as executable, to switch the primary audio device. For some lame reason Microsoft does not provide an API to do this from code. There is apparently some private undocumented COM interface that someone reverse engineered, but that looked like overkill.

If anyone is interested, I can share the code (C++/AHK).

edekoning

• Offline Offline
« Reply #151 on: January 04, 2014, 04:15:24 pm »
Got some work done on my front end launcher.
-Single JSON config file
-A front end is defined by a title, description, image, and a list of actions (description + command line to execute)
-All configured front ends are displayed in a regular grid  (dynamically resizes based on the number of front ends)
-Each front end is represented by its image, or title (2:1 aspect ratio)
-Simple navigation using the arrow keys, Enter/1, Esc/2.

I'm quite happy with it so far. Still need to implement the actual launching of the configured executables.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2014, 02:02:23 pm by edekoning »

edekoning

• Offline Offline
« Reply #152 on: January 11, 2014, 02:01:23 pm »
I'm done with the Launcher, and it is working great (see pictures)!

Currently I only have Mala (Cab) and Steam (Big picture mode TV) configured. I am planning on splitting my current Mala setup in two. One for Arcade games only, and the other for all the console games. Once that is done I can add the console Mala setup to my Launcher so I can play all the console games from my couch :)

I don't know if this Launcher is something others would be interested in. If so I can make a separate thread for it in the software forum, where I can provide details, code and binaries.

thrasherx

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 30, 2023, 07:42:37 pm
« Reply #153 on: January 14, 2014, 06:06:01 am »

I'm done with the Launcher, and it is working great (see pictures)!

Currently I only have Mala (Cab) and Steam (Big picture mode TV) configured. I am planning on splitting my current Mala setup in two. One for Arcade games only, and the other for all the console games. Once that is done I can add the console Mala setup to my Launcher so I can play all the console games from my couch :)

I don't know if this Launcher is something others would be interested in. If so I can make a separate thread for it in the software forum, where I can provide details, code and binaries.

I love this idea. I bought an HDMI over CAT5/6 adapter with hopes of playing console games upstairs while my arcade cabinet is downstairs. I'm still not sure how to make audio go to the right place. It looks like you're actually switching your main main monitor between the cab and your TV. Great work!

edekoning

• Offline Offline
« Reply #154 on: January 14, 2014, 03:54:54 pm »
Yeah I am switching both the primary display device and primary audio device. I made two small programs to do this:

setdisplay
This will make the specified display device the primary one. It does not disable display devices (though it could)!
usage: setdisplay <target> | -l

<target>    the display device to set as primary
       -l          lists all display devices

You need to provide the exact display adapter name. To find out what the names are you can use the -l switch. This is the output I get on my single screen desktop:
> setdisplay.exe -l

\\.\DISPLAY1, ATI Radeon HD 3200 Graphics
  state   : active, pruned, primary,
  settings: 1920 x 1200 @ 59Hz - 32bpp
  position: 0, 0
  monitor : \\.\DISPLAY1\Monitor0, Generic PnP Monitor

\\.\DISPLAY2, ATI Radeon HD 3200 Graphics

\\.\DISPLAYV1, RDPDD Chained DD
  state   : mirroring,

\\.\DISPLAYV2, RDP Encoder Mirror Driver

\\.\DISPLAYV3, RDP Reflector Display Driver

All the mirroring devices are virtual ones and can be ignored. If I were to hook up a second screen it would be listed under \\.\DISPLAY2. So to make that screen primary I just call:
> setdisplay.exe "\\.\DISPLAY2"

setaudio
This is actually just a compiled AHK script that interacts with the Sound dialog (mmsys.cpl), as there is no windows API to change the default audio output device.
usage: setaudio <target>

<target>    the audio device to set as default

You need to provide the (partial) name of the audio playback device as it is listed in the Sound dialog. So if I wanted to make the HDMI output the default device, I would call:
> setdisplay.exe "AMD HDMI Output"

Note that this script targets an English version of windows 7. Other languages will require a slight modification of the script, as it looks for specific strings.

Both programs are used by my launcher program. F.e.: before launching Steam, it will first switch to the TV by calling setdisplay and setaudio. When Steam is closed it will call setdisplay and setaudio again to switch back to the PC monitor in the arcade cabinet. I attached both programs, including source code. Both were compiled on 64-bit Win7, so I doubt they will work on other Windows version.

mikeyngo

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 07, 2015, 10:18:19 am
« Reply #155 on: February 27, 2014, 09:29:53 am »
Hey edekoning, where did you purchase those pass-thru plugs for HDMI, power, ethernet, and usbs?

Thank you.

edekoning

• Offline Offline
« Reply #156 on: February 27, 2014, 09:58:35 am »
HDMI: Bax-shop.nl
USB: Arcadeshop.de
ETH: azerty.nl
PWR: Arcadeshop.de (but I don't think they sell it anymore)

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #157 on: February 27, 2014, 10:28:38 am »
The USB, ethernet, and HDMI are made by Neutrik.

USB -       NAUSB-W-B
Ethernet - NE8FDP-B
HDMI -     NAHDMI-W-B

Allied Electronics carries all three, as do many other vendors.

The power inlet is commonly available with various styles of switches -- search for "power inlet C14" on Amazon to find one that works for your build.

Scott

eds1275

• Offline Offline
  • Rock and Roll!
« Reply #158 on: February 27, 2014, 11:28:41 am »
looks (mag)neat-o ! :cheers:

That's the only pun I could think of, and it's been used!

Very nice cabinet.

edekoning

• Offline Offline
« Reply #159 on: February 27, 2014, 11:58:30 am »
The USB, ethernet, and HDMI are made by Neutrik.
USB -       NAUSB-W-B
Ethernet - NE8FDP-B
HDMI -     NAHDMI-W-B
Scott

Thanks Scott, I completely forgot to list the part numbers.

Note that Neutrik carries many different types of ethernet passthroughs. Not sure what the exact differences are though. Most of these have a small circuit-board, and are very annoying to install. The usb/hdmi ones just require a single hole of arbitrary thickness. You put the plug in the hole and secure it with two screws; simple. The ethernet one does not fit though a hole, due to the circuit board. It also has a separate front plate, that needs to be screwed onto the back part. This requires a hole thickness of 3mm or 4mm, with the two screws located really close to the edge of this hole. Pictures:

Very nice cabinet.

Thanks man.

edekoning

• Offline Offline
« Reply #160 on: January 24, 2016, 10:12:43 am »
I was asked to make the artwork available. Unfortunately, the side art is a huge (200+ MB) so I can't upload that. But its just the official X-Men Children of the Atom side art, upscaled to 1,90m.

edekoning

• Offline Offline
« Reply #161 on: January 24, 2016, 10:42:44 am »
Now that I spend many hours on this Cab, there are a few things that I learned, don't like, or that started breaking down:

- The Sanwa JLW sticks are way to stiff. One being noticeably stiffer than the other. I much prefer the Seimitsu LS-58 stick that is in my NES bartop.
- Having the Player 1 Start button also function as a Shift button when held down, sucks. Whenever, kids play on the machine they always end up accidentally pressing the exit or pause key combo. Sometimes they even manage to toggle my alternate key mappings, making the current active game unplayable. Now I know exactly what does what, so I never encounter these issues. However, guests do so I need to fix and explain the issue.
- Big game lists also suck. Yes I know everybody always tells you this, but I had to find out for myself ;)
- The carbon fiber wrap looks good, but its starting to let go :(
- Plexi glass scratches extremely easy
- One of my balltops came loose from the metal thread that holds it in place, and this is one of those expensive custom ones.
- I put 4 big wheels under the Cab. While its great that its easy to move now, its not so great that it might wobble slightly during intense play sessions.
- I really want a dedicated single player panel, as I play alone most of the time.

Most issues can be fixed, and I'll probably do just that during spring/summer. On the other hand, we have plans to move to a bigger house this year. If that happens, I would rather build me a second cab first  >:D

edge929

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 10, 2020, 08:51:02 pm
  • MAME Cab = Childhood in a box
« Reply #162 on: January 24, 2016, 02:15:17 pm »
Why don't you fix the major issues with this cab, sell it and build a new one after you move? I'm considering doing this with mine in the future. There will always be lessons learned after your first build.

Slippyblade

• Offline Offline
« Reply #163 on: January 24, 2016, 03:10:18 pm »
I love seeing post build follow up.  It's always cool to see what folks learned about their own builds after they've been used for a while.

Saffa

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 11, 2022, 11:53:43 pm
« Reply #164 on: January 24, 2016, 11:15:54 pm »
Hi edekoning ,

I just wanted to say thanks for giving us your plans and art work. I have read through your build a few times and it is helping me a lot and the artwork supplied will save me heaps of time as I am not good with the graphics design side of thing.

Your cab looks great, If mine turns out half as good I'll be happy.

Cheers!

Saffa

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 11, 2022, 11:53:43 pm
Re: Magneto cab [done] [build plans included]
« Reply #165 on: March 15, 2016, 01:35:30 am »
Hi,

Is your cpo.svg to scale?
When I open it in illustrator it is 836mm wide.
This seems too wide.

Also it has a link to "marque-bg.jpg" which is missing. I'm not sure if this is important - it seems to look fine without it.

Thanks

edekoning

• Offline Offline
« Reply #166 on: March 15, 2016, 04:50:25 am »
I used Inkscape v0.48. I just downloaded the file and opened it, and inkscape tells me the file is 70cm x 30cm, which is correct. Note that the actual control panel is smaller (67cm x 28cm), but the art includes some additional whitespace, so it was easier to use it as a template for cutting the panel.

edekoning

• Offline Offline
« Reply #167 on: March 29, 2016, 02:45:51 pm »

dmckean

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 13, 2024, 08:50:41 pm
« Reply #168 on: March 29, 2016, 03:04:53 pm »
Sad. :(

superhippieman

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 27, 2019, 10:08:10 am
  • I love my Superman Cabinet!
    • Micah Nichols Miniatures
« Reply #169 on: April 04, 2018, 01:22:56 pm »
This thing could not be more awesome! Magneto is the bomb. You still using this thing? I hear stories of cabinets getting built....but rarely played....

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 17, 2024, 12:41:11 am
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #170 on: April 04, 2018, 01:34:23 pm »
It was for sale, so probably not.

I wish he would have taken the time to fix the artwork. That ruined it for me. Other than that, it’s nice.
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 17, 2024, 01:15:07 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #171 on: April 04, 2018, 03:31:48 pm »
This thing could not be more awesome! Magneto is the bomb. You still using this thing? I hear stories of cabinets getting built....but rarely played....

PANTIES!

Stop your effin bumping? /inside joke
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

Vigo

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #172 on: April 04, 2018, 05:57:07 pm »
Yeah, great cab, but also dissapointed but the NEM-X by MOCPAC artwork.

bad_boo

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 23, 2022, 10:33:09 pm
« Reply #173 on: April 05, 2018, 01:46:46 pm »
Nice cabinet. I like the details on it. A shame OP was forced to sell it.

eds1275

• Offline Offline
  • Rock and Roll!
« Reply #174 on: April 11, 2018, 02:19:30 pm »
I've got huge gamelists, but favourites lists for different categories such as trackballs, fighters, and puzzles. Also a big generic one that I tell guests to use with most of the stuff they'll be after - tmnt, simpsons, pac man, etc. plus a few they've never heard of but should like The Outfoxies.

My cabinet is not for the purist. LCD widescreen, u360s, street fighter plus mk run button layout. Mine gets played to death. I occasionally build little projects on the side but I'm in it for the games

PaladinZ

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 19, 2020, 04:05:36 pm
  • klaatu barada nikto!
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,158194.0.html
« Reply #175 on: September 05, 2018, 09:37:49 am »
Now that I've finished my build, I just wanted to say thanks for all the info you provided in this thread. I've used your Sketchup model and adapted it to the measurements I needed. I loved your design because it's a pretty slim build like I wanted to make. And your attention to detail is great! Also the guidelines you provided for some stuff like routing were valuable to me as a novice wood worker.

Here's my build : http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,158194.0.html

boomerps2

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 17, 2018, 10:58:33 pm
« Reply #176 on: September 06, 2018, 01:26:06 pm »
Has anybody got this cabinet converted for CNC (.dxf or .dwg)?