Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Finally, I can print the football...or, Happ 3" Trackball Mount Template  (Read 9907 times)

mcseforsale

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 18, 2023, 08:49:34 am
  • Creepy Mario Dude
OK, I've free-cut the "football" for the last time.  :angry: ;D After looking around for a short while and not finding one, I decided to draw the mounting template for a Happ 3" trackball mount in Photoshop.   :dizzy: It's not very elegant since I threw it together in about 5 min, but I just tried it and it works.  This should get you very close, if not perfect when mounting a Happ 3" trackball using their black mounting plate.

DISCLAIMER:  This template is to be used on the UNDERSIDE of the control panel....otherwise, you will cut the exact OPPOSITE shape that you need.

Here's a link to a printable JPG from my photobucket:

http://s128.photobucket.com/albums/p191/mcseforsale/MAME_CAB/?action=view&current=HAPP_3_INCH_TRACKBALL_MOUNT1.jpg

It looks like this:

This is what I did:
1.) tape this template on the UNDERSIDE of the CP where I wanted it, using the lines to make sure it was square.
2.) Take a 6p nail and "center punch" each of the 4 mounting holes and each "point" on the football shape.
3.) Drill out mounting holes with a 7/32" bit (they should be exactly 6" center to center)
4.) Draw in the football with pencil and straight edge using the nail punches as reference points.
5.) Drill pilot holes for jigsaw with 1/2" bit INSIDE the football
6.) Cut out the football with jigsaw
7.) flip CP over and install Happ 3" Trackball mount
8.) trace around the black trackball mount
9.) Using the trackball mount as a stage for the router base, set my plunge depth by positioning my router so that the bit falls into the trackball hole on the mount.  Setting my plunge this way allows EXACT dept for flush mounting.  Then remove the trackball mount from the CP.
10.) Set my fences/straight edges..whatever and route my trackball area for flush mounting..
11.) fin!

After routing, this is what I ended up with.  

NOTE: I routed mine roughly 1/32 over on each side due to bad router plate measurements....and it will be hidden under art and plexi.  Your router-fu is much better than mine, I'm sure!  :laugh2:

Again!...This will have to be used from the bottom of the cab...or print in reverse to cut from the top.  The top of this template should be closest to the monitor AND ON THE UNDERSIDE OF THE CP!!!.

Thanks,
AJ
« Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 10:53:06 am by mcseforsale »

mcseforsale

• Offline Offline
  • Creepy Mario Dude
Here's the PSD file in a .RAR.  Unzip it and you can use Photochop on it.  All of my guides are left in place.

Here's the new one with the black lettering in PSD format.  Unzip it and have at it!!

AJ
« Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 10:40:43 am by mcseforsale »

Turambar

• And I don't watch Fox news or use Happ joysticks.
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 03, 2021, 11:10:13 pm
  • Owner of Wayback's Arcade
    • Wayback's Arcade
Is the "football" oriented correctly?  Knievel's CP looks like this:

My trackball has to mount this way, because it says it has to have a certain orientation towards the monitor.  Are they not all made the same?

mcseforsale

• Offline Offline
  • Creepy Mario Dude
Yes.  Knievel almost always shows his CPs from the TOP.  He also top mounts his joys.  I cut this one from the bottom.  If you flip mine over, it looks like that. 

"This will have to be used from the bottom of the cab...or print in reverse to cut from the top.  The top of this template should be closest to the monitor AND ON THE UNDERSIDE OF THE CP!!!."  - quote from OP ^^

If you're going to use it on the top, just flip it when you print it. :D

I'm glad you brought this up.  I knew it would be a problem and I tried to address it, but a picture says a thousand word (of caution).

AJ

Is the "football" oriented correctly?  Knievel's CP looks like this:

My trackball has to mount this way, because it says it has to have a certain orientation towards the monitor.  Are they not all made the same?

mcseforsale

• Offline Offline
  • Creepy Mario Dude
I updated OP with better picture.

AJ

lanman31337

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 10, 2024, 10:36:50 am
  • set to ludacris speed!
Does this also work for the Bestom/Imperial trackball as well?

Turambar

• And I don't watch Fox news or use Happ joysticks.
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 03, 2021, 11:10:13 pm
  • Owner of Wayback's Arcade
    • Wayback's Arcade
This is why I should never post early in the morning.  Apparently I can't read.

alfonzotan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 28, 2023, 08:39:45 am
    • The Cab With No Name
YAW YAW YAW YAW YAW YAW YAW YAW... FOOTBAW!

(Which is another way of saying, "Well done!"  And if you still don't know what I'm talking about, you most likely did not follow SEC football during the last decade...)

mcseforsale

• Offline Offline
  • Creepy Mario Dude
Thanks!  But, the reference is lost on me.  I'm ex-pro BMX Vert rider...so if it ain't got wheels, I usually don't watch it.  Plus with this RAGING ADD, it's hard to sit that long.  :burgerking:

I just hope this helps someone out.  I should probably ask all of you to put in your own keywords for this.

As for the Imperial and other trackballs, I believe this does work, but YMMV.  I'd have a look at your mount and just compare it there.

Thanks,
AJ

(Which is another way of saying, "Well done!"  And if you still don't know what I'm talking about, you most likely did not follow SEC football during the last decade...)

alfonzotan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 28, 2023, 08:39:45 am
    • The Cab With No Name
Thanks!  But, the reference is lost on me.  I'm ex-pro BMX Vert rider...so if it ain't got wheels, I usually don't watch it.  Plus with this RAGING ADD, it's hard to sit that long.  :burgerking:

I just hope this helps someone out.  I should probably ask all of you to put in your own keywords for this.

As for the Imperial and other trackballs, I believe this does work, but YMMV.  I'd have a look at your mount and just compare it there.

Thanks,
AJ

Oh, all right: 

mcseforsale

• Offline Offline
  • Creepy Mario Dude
Roger.  I watched the video, then did the backstory investigation.  Funny stuff.

AJ

Marsupial

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 20, 2024, 06:47:18 am
  • I am teh Mars!
I am still too new to router to understand how to make such good cuts. Are there videos for those like me who can't figure it out?

-Mars