Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Hunger Games  (Read 14715 times)

Ed_McCarron

• Nothing worse than Picard issuing the self destruct order and the next thing you know it your apartment blows up.
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 20, 2022, 02:33:39 pm
  • Get your mind out of the gutter. THIS is a dongle.
Re: Hunger Games
« Reply #80 on: April 03, 2012, 03:17:08 pm »
i watched Hunger Games on saturday night.  thats time from my life i will never get back.  this was a terrible movie which makes me not want to venture within ten feet of the books.

Don't judge a book by it's movie.  I very much enjoyed the books.  Well written.
But wasn't it fun to think you won the lottery, just for a second there???

shmokes

• Just think of all the suffering in this world that could have been avoided had I just been a little better informed. :)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 24, 2016, 06:50:42 pm
  • Don't tread on me.
    • Jake Moses
« Reply #81 on: April 03, 2012, 09:17:51 pm »
Almost everyone I know who has both read the books and seen the movie say the movie is better.
Check out my website for in-depth reviews of children's books, games, and educational apps for the iPad:

Best Kid iPad Apps

saint

• turned to the Dark Side
  • Supreme Chancellor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 17, 2024, 07:49:54 am
  • I only work in cyberspace...
    • Build Your Own Arcade Controls
« Reply #82 on: April 03, 2012, 09:35:55 pm »
Almost everyone I know who has both read the books and seen the movie say the movie is better.

I have read the books and seen the movie and the books are better. The movie is good, but the books are better.
--- John St.Clair
     Build Your Own Arcade Controls FAQ
     http://www.arcadecontrols.com/
     Project Arcade 2!
     http://www.projectarcade2.com/
     saint@arcadecontrols.com

shmokes

• Just think of all the suffering in this world that could have been avoided had I just been a little better informed. :)
  • Offline Offline
  • Don't tread on me.
    • Jake Moses
« Reply #83 on: April 03, 2012, 09:38:12 pm »
I don't know this guy.
Check out my website for in-depth reviews of children's books, games, and educational apps for the iPad:

Best Kid iPad Apps

Ginsu Victim

• Yeah, owning a MAME cab only leads to owning real ones. MAME just isn't good enough. It's a gateway drug.
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 08, 2023, 02:40:58 pm
  • Comanche, OK -- USA
« Reply #84 on: April 03, 2012, 11:51:37 pm »
Hanna sucked.

Hanna was awesome.

Wow, opinions! ;D

shmokes

• Offline Offline
  • Don't tread on me.
    • Jake Moses
« Reply #85 on: April 04, 2012, 12:19:13 am »
I thought it sucked. It had moments of great potential, especially in the beginning. Then it had moments that strained suspention of disbelief way beyond breaking, but which I was inclined to forgive because the scene was fun and badass (escape from captivity in a highly secure facility). Then it just became mostly stupid, frequently nonsensical, and usually neither action-packed nor otherwise engaging for long stretches. And I don't remember how it ended (which says a lot since I watched it in the last couple months) but I remember it sucking.

Wanted to like it, though.

Best Kid iPad Apps

danny_galaga

• Grand high prophet of the holy noodle.
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 08:10:56 pm
  • because the mail never stops
    • dans cocktail lounge
« Reply #86 on: April 04, 2012, 06:03:39 am »
There's no resemblance between the stories of The Hunger Games and Hanna.

The trailers for Hanna made it look like the whole thing was her fighting for her life in the woods.  The actual movie, of course, was all weird and made no actual sense and seemed to involve the same 2 or 3 city blocks they kept trying to pass off as different countries.

Hanna sucked.

I thought it was good...

ROUGHING UP THE SUSPECT SINCE 1981

Green Giant

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 29, 2016, 06:50:57 pm
« Reply #87 on: April 04, 2012, 11:54:32 am »
The book is published by SCHOLASTIC people, its marketed towards little kids, its silly to see middle aged fat guys argue about the literary importance of a book written for 13 year old girls.

3D Titanic?  Sure there's boobs, but if I am going to sit through that mess, I would expect better hotness than a naked Kate Winslett
a naked FAT kate winslett.

Have you seen her lately?  Looks much better than she did 10ish years ago.  I would prefer 2012 3D winslett's.
"He lives down there in his valley,
The cat stands tall and green,
Well, he ain't no prize, and there's no women his size,
And that's why the cat's so mean"
Toxic Arcade, my first build

Mikezilla

• I have a hairy back and everything!
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 18, 2017, 07:06:56 pm
  • I can't see the picture darn it!!!
« Reply #88 on: April 04, 2012, 12:06:24 pm »
Hanna sucked.

Hanna was awesome.

Wow, opinions! ;D

I was leaving work so I didnt have time to put anything poetic.  :lol A friend of mine told me that Hanna was great and thank god I waited for netflix cause if I saw that in theatres I would have been pissed. The ending was totally predicatable, I called it, you can ask the GF. She said the same thing she said when she shot the wolf in the beginning. I love survival movies ( I want to see The Gray) and that was a huge let down.

You guys think she is fat?! See, I dont like my women really skinny. I thought she was attractive. She was annoying in Contagion though.
Pictures are overrated anyway.

Vigo

• the Scourage of Carpathia
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 21, 2024, 08:20:28 am
« Reply #89 on: April 04, 2012, 01:45:00 pm »
Skinny is good, as long as there are still curves where it counts. We don't want no Olive Oyl. Also has to be a natural skinny. Some chicks have more frame, and when they get skeletal, that is pretty darn gross.

Green Giant

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 29, 2016, 06:50:57 pm
« Reply #90 on: April 04, 2012, 03:33:20 pm »
Hanna sucked.

Hanna was awesome.

Wow, opinions! ;D

I was leaving work so I didnt have time to put anything poetic.  :lol A friend of mine told me that Hanna was great and thank god I waited for netflix cause if I saw that in theatres I would have been pissed. The ending was totally predicatable, I called it, you can ask the GF. She said the same thing she said when she shot the wolf in the beginning. I love survival movies ( I want to see The Gray) and that was a huge let down.

You guys think she is fat?! See, I dont like my women really skinny. I thought she was attractive. She was annoying in Contagion though.
I am not saying I like really skinny.  Not even remotely.

I am just saying winslett compared then and now......NOW. 

Actually I think it is just the fact she looked like a train wreck by comparison to today.

"He lives down there in his valley,
The cat stands tall and green,
Well, he ain't no prize, and there's no women his size,
And that's why the cat's so mean"
Toxic Arcade, my first build

Trip

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 03, 2020, 01:37:04 pm
« Reply #91 on: April 04, 2012, 03:43:32 pm »
I don't like Calista Flockhart skinny, but I like a not as curvy athetic build.  Different strokes for different folks.

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 09, 2024, 07:27:18 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #92 on: April 04, 2012, 04:36:55 pm »
I generally prefer them with a vagina and a pulse.

pulse optional
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

Trip

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 03, 2020, 01:37:04 pm
« Reply #93 on: April 04, 2012, 05:50:48 pm »
Now this thread is picking up some steam.   :laugh2:

Donkbaca

• Our reptillian overlords would be pleased
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 09, 2012, 06:28:10 pm
    • Slim built MAME/Xbox cab
« Reply #94 on: April 04, 2012, 05:59:59 pm »
I don't care, then or now, I look at Kate Winslett and at no point do I ever think that I would want to pay money to see her naked

knave

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 13, 2023, 03:32:33 pm
« Reply #95 on: April 04, 2012, 07:17:24 pm »
I'm pretty sure Google images will let you see it for free...Just don't do it at work.

shmokes

• Offline Offline
  • Don't tread on me.
    • Jake Moses

Best Kid iPad Apps

Donkbaca

• Our reptillian overlords would be pleased
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 09, 2012, 06:28:10 pm
    • Slim built MAME/Xbox cab
« Reply #97 on: April 04, 2012, 08:47:11 pm »
Not at all hot. 

Mikezilla

• I have a hairy back and everything!
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 18, 2017, 07:06:56 pm
  • I can't see the picture darn it!!!
« Reply #98 on: April 10, 2012, 01:12:28 pm »
I still havent seen the movies, but if what PBJ is accurate about how the whole theme to the story is using hunger as a weapon, then how can the movie be so good? I wish they would have said how the rest of the world fared after the nuclear war, or whatever it was. Hell, I read the books a few weeks ago and I already forgot how the world ended.  :lol I also remember reading thinking the author was kind of lame when she used phrases or slang that would have no place in the type of society that they lived in. I cant rememember any specific examples, but I remember it occuring more than once.  :dunno
Pictures are overrated anyway.

Rando

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 23, 2016, 07:49:31 pm
« Reply #99 on: April 10, 2012, 02:03:47 pm »
I also remember reading thinking the author was kind of lame when she used phrases or slang that would have no place in the type of society that they lived in. I cant rememember any specific examples, but I remember it occuring more than once.  :dunno
Movie "Avatar" (blatant ripoff of "Fern Gully" btw) does the same thing.  Some phrases and slang seem right out of 1985, which is weird in a futuristic space flick.
Rando - My build thread: http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=107741.msg1142843#msg1142843 (work slowed but still progressing!

Vigo

• the Scourage of Carpathia
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 21, 2024, 08:20:28 am
« Reply #100 on: April 10, 2012, 02:37:47 pm »
Well, I watched the movie over Easter Weekend. I meant to post earlier, but I agree with PBJ a lot. I felt the whole hunger element was gone. The funny thing is during the games, they were showing her eat...a lot, but they never bothered showing much passage of time. They show probably 6 meals take place during the games, but only visually show you that maybe 4 days have past. My wife who never read the book was confused why she was always going around eating all day. In the movie, it seems like she finds water within 20 minutes of the games starting.

I think character development was cut short as well, you had no connection to why Rue was a big deal, it feels like they knew each other for one afternoon. When you get to the brutality and killing, it was done well and kept pace. They thankfully cut back at the cheesy teen romance. Gale's anger against the capitol was completely gone, so he is just a dope gazing off into the sunset. Haymitch was one dimensional, which is a shame because woody did a great job, they just didn't give him any film time. They didn't even bother chopping off Peeta bread's leg, but I guess that wasn't a critical thing to do for the movie.

District 12 was a shaky fail, you had no sense of how Katniss had to trade to survive and put her name in for rations of grain. They just shook the camera for ten minutes while she ran around. Her thunder thighs and the well-fed nature of everyone in the district takes away any notion of hunger being a key element. They didn't even seem poor when townsfolk are watching the games on a couch on their 60" flat-panel tv screens.

But even after all my complaints, it wasn't necessarily a bad film. It was just not a masterfully done film. Kinda like one of the frustrating Harry Potter films. You just end up cringing when they miss the mark or chop out parts that were critical to the story, but you will still watch it again.

Dummy

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 09, 2012, 04:55:00 am
« Reply #101 on: April 19, 2012, 02:13:07 am »
I cant remember any specific examples.
 The movie itself captures the actual games part of the book pretty well.
   I had forgotten how much of a central theme this was to the story

danny_galaga

• Offline Offline
    • dans cocktail lounge
« Reply #102 on: April 21, 2012, 07:17:07 pm »
There's no resemblance between the stories of The Hunger Games and Hanna.

The trailers for Hanna made it look like the whole thing was her fighting for her life in the woods.  The actual movie, of course, was all weird and made no actual sense and seemed to involve the same 2 or 3 city blocks they kept trying to pass off as different countries.

Filming locations for
Hanna (2011) More at IMDbPro »

Bad Tölz, Bavaria, Germany

Berlin, Germany

Essaouira, Morocco

Fehmarn, Schleswig-Holstein, Germany

Filtergewoelbe Wasserwerk Friedrichshagen, Berlin, Germany

Hamburg, Germany

Hotel Concorde, Berlin, Germany

Kemijärvi, Finland

Leger, Lenggries, Bavaria, Germany

Lenggries, Bavaria, Germany

Ouarzazate, Morocco

Ruka, Kuusamo, Finland

Spreepark, Plänterwald, Treptow-Köpenick, Berlin, Germany
(amusement park)

Studio Babelsberg, Potsdam, Brandenburg, Germany

danny_galaga

• Offline Offline
    • dans cocktail lounge
« Reply #103 on: April 21, 2012, 07:20:49 pm »

A work colleague saw it the other day, and I asked him "I thought this was a kids movie?". He couldn't articulate what demographic it is aimed at, I went and watched it anyway. Yep, it's a kids movie. Not bad mind you, and it was freakin' awesome to see Lenny Kravitz in an acting role. I give it 3/5

my score for recent movies you may have seen:

5/5 - The Way Back, The Kings Speech, Michael Clayton, In Bruges, Gran Torino, Mary and Max

4.5/5 - Taken, Iron Man, Reign Over Me, Watchmen, The girl with the dragon tattoo

4/5 - True Grit, Traitor, Bedtime Stories, Sunshine, pineapple express

3.5/5 - 300, Max Payne, You dont mess with the Zohan, Yes Man

3/5 - That new Indiana Jones flick, Disturbia, That new TMNT flick,

2.5/5 - Angels and Demons

2/5 - The Love Guru. Note: My 2 is probably someone elses 1. Just leaving room for worse!

A friend was visiting town, and she was keen to see this. I didn't have the heart to say I'd already seen it, so off we went. I actually enjoyed it more the second time around!  

DaveMMR

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 29, 2024, 11:49:01 am
    • TeeVee Games
« Reply #104 on: April 22, 2012, 07:59:59 am »
For a while, had no idea what any of this "Hunger Game" crap was - figured it was something like "Twilight". Out of curiosity (and the witnessing of men my age glued to their copies of the first book), I decided to give it a read. I am glued to it. Right now I'm almost done with the second book.  Want to see the movie now.

I'm really not much of a fiction reader (I prefer biographies and instructional books) so perhaps maybe the fact it was written for the young adult made it easier for me to plow through.

ark_ader

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2019, 07:35:34 pm
  • I glow in the dark.
« Reply #105 on: April 22, 2012, 03:25:24 pm »
I saw it on Friday.  Thought it was pretty good, but if the main characters was starving, why was the main character not skin and bone?  Why was she not gorging on the food during the movie?

It could have been a bit more violent, as I would have taken most of the sleeping kids out while waiting up that tree, or setting traps etc.

If it was anything like online gaming I'm sure I would be dead after 5 minutes.. :lol

I just can see a Hunger Games mod coming out for CSS.

Maybe in the next movie we will get a NC17 Rating and more action.
If I had only one wish, it would be for three more wishes.

Rando

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 23, 2016, 07:49:31 pm
« Reply #106 on: April 23, 2012, 11:08:36 am »
It could have been a bit more violent, as I would have taken most of the sleeping kids out while waiting up that tree, or setting traps etc.

If it was anything like online gaming I'm sure I would be dead after 5 minutes.. :lol

I just can see a Hunger Games mod coming out for CSS.

Maybe in the next movie we will get a NC17 Rating and more action.
You wanted to see Battle Royale.

Enjoy!  :cheers:
Rando - My build thread: http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=107741.msg1142843#msg1142843 (work slowed but still progressing!