Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Pac-Man Battle Royale Replica  (Read 173751 times)

jmike

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 26, 2023, 05:14:03 am
Re: Pac-Man Battle Royale Replica
« Reply #240 on: January 08, 2014, 07:22:28 am »
 :applaud: :applaud:
        Nice work Sjaak!  Love that tracking "how many items you ate" at the end.
That way you can all out the players that just avoided everything...  ;D

(I know I still owe you a finished Pac-Man Battle Royal cocktail pic) It's coming...  :-[

:cheers:

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 07:31:21 pm
« Reply #241 on: January 08, 2014, 01:33:07 pm »
 :applaud: I really dig the old graphics look.

Vigo

• the Scourage of Carpathia
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 21, 2024, 08:20:28 am
« Reply #242 on: January 08, 2014, 01:39:57 pm »
No kidding. That is awesome!

Generic Eric

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 05, 2024, 09:02:23 am
  • Restore! Don't maim for MAME, build from scratch!
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,143226.0.html
« Reply #243 on: January 09, 2014, 09:35:16 pm »
Why wasn't Pac Man Battle Royale released in 1987?
FIXT

Dizzle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 09, 2014, 05:28:04 pm
« Reply #244 on: January 09, 2014, 09:59:13 pm »
Love your work Sjaak  :applaud:

I really want to build one of these.  Been messing around in Sketchup trying to get the dimensions right before I start cutting.  Still trying to figure out the proper way to mount the monitor.  I think I'm gonna go with another joystick at the end of the table for classic vertical games too.

thatpurplestuff

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:49:12 pm
« Reply #245 on: January 10, 2014, 12:04:40 am »
Very impressive work, dude!  That is so clean and polished looking that you could easily sell the final product (obviously with a different default skin).  Great stuff!

So once again, we find that evil of the past seeps into the present like salad dressing through cheap wax paper, mixing memory and desire.

Sjaak

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 05:50:12 am
« Reply #246 on: January 10, 2014, 04:06:21 am »
Very impressive work, dude!  That is so clean and polished looking that you could easily sell the final product (obviously with a different default skin).  Great stuff!

Or sell it for free!

Updated Banana Royale thread

Love your work Sjaak  :applaud:

I really want to build one of these.  Been messing around in Sketchup trying to get the dimensions right before I start cutting.  Still trying to figure out the proper way to mount the monitor.  I think I'm gonna go with another joystick at the end of the table for classic vertical games too.

Looking good! Just put the monitor on the U shaped box that goes under the playfield. There should be enough room.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 05:12:16 am by Sjaak »

BAMBOO

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 30, 2016, 06:51:20 am
« Reply #247 on: January 10, 2014, 05:10:30 am »
Sjaak nice work man, I love it@   :applaud: :notworthy:
"Every arcade we restore preserves history that we will never experience again..."

thatpurplestuff

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:49:12 pm
« Reply #248 on: January 10, 2014, 11:06:46 am »

Or sell it for free!

Updated Banana Royale thread

Ummm... I freakin love you?!  That's awesome man!  I'm going to be building a cocktail in the near future and you've just forced me to make it 4 player.

So once again, we find that evil of the past seeps into the present like salad dressing through cheap wax paper, mixing memory and desire.

wp34

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2022, 09:48:19 pm
« Reply #249 on: January 10, 2014, 11:52:54 am »
Working on a version of the software with customizable graphics, sounds and levels for the Banana Royale contest. I did some testing with alternate graphics.

What if Pac Man Battle Royale had been released in 1987.......

Awesome.  Just awesome. :applaud:

retrometro

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 08:26:04 pm
    • Arcade, mame, retro... and the gp2x.
« Reply #250 on: September 12, 2015, 11:46:51 am »
Last part of 2015 right now... how's this project coming along?
-------- gp2x and retro... play it forever! ------------------------
http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=0EE573E86D5A86E0
--------------------------------------------------------------------

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 03:47:56 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #251 on: September 12, 2015, 03:25:07 pm »
Do pac man 256

Sjaak

• Offline Offline
« Reply #252 on: September 13, 2015, 06:08:11 am »
Last part of 2015 right now... how's this project coming along?

The big cabinet was finished a while ago. I was at Eurocade 2015 yesterday running a custom tournament version.

The Banana Royale spinoff is pretty much done, but I don't think anyone is interested in that version anymore.

The 8 bit version needs some 8 bit sound effects, but since I'm crap at doing sound and music, that's going to have to wait.

Do pac man 256

And I'm working on a 256 version with the original graphics with a special Pac Man 256 cabinet.

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 08:00:17 pm
  • <insert personal text here>
« Reply #253 on: September 13, 2015, 08:35:18 am »
Interest waned because you never updated it.  I put in hours on that monster version and then nothing. No sound update. No nada.

delebru

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 14, 2015, 03:38:52 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #254 on: October 06, 2015, 01:03:39 am »
Awesome project Sjaak!

I was searching custom made Pac-Man Battle Royale on Google and ended up here. I'd like to build one myself and was wondering if you could share the cut layout or exterior dimensions of the cabinet, it would help a lot!

S1ckb0y

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 11, 2016, 10:26:13 pm
« Reply #255 on: February 11, 2016, 10:26:13 pm »
Hi Sjaak,

A couple of friends and myself are looking to build our own Battle Royale clone arcade cabinet for some great basement fun. Are you willing to share/sell your binaries and/or source code?

I have another project of building a bar top cabinet, with pallet wood, for my RetroPie project. This one will only involve USB ports/joysticks though (more like a portable console with a cool look and feel).

Thanks! :)

Simon

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:58:57 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #256 on: February 12, 2016, 10:44:02 am »
Based on past experience, his Battle Royale software is not for sale or distribution. Just FYI.
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

sparksterz

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 19, 2019, 09:19:23 am
« Reply #257 on: April 26, 2016, 09:11:37 am »
Hi Sjaak,

A couple of friends and myself are looking to build our own Battle Royale clone arcade cabinet for some great basement fun. Are you willing to share/sell your binaries and/or source code?

I have another project of building a bar top cabinet, with pallet wood, for my RetroPie project. This one will only involve USB ports/joysticks though (more like a portable console with a cool look and feel).

Simon

Unfortunately the game crashes for me randomly at times...I've been able to figure out a little bit with attaching VS to try and debug the error, but to figure out what needs solved is not exactly simple considering it's been run through a code obscuring program: https://confuser.codeplex.com/

Glad I didn't spend too much time messing around with customizing it before finding out that Sjaak is moving on from it. The last published version I can find isn't stable for me, and even if it were, it has the timer limitation. Maybe one day I'll learn game development principles enough to build my own version, but I was hoping I could learn some from poking around.

MTPPC

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 26, 2021, 02:25:46 pm
« Reply #258 on: July 20, 2016, 04:05:54 pm »
You can buy the boards from NAMCO for about $2800 if you don't have exchanges or around $1600 if you have boards to exchange. Was there any progress on getting a bug free version for the PC?
Pinball and Video Arcade Repair in Billings, MT USA
http://pinballmd.com/

damageinc86

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 25, 2021, 04:29:34 pm
« Reply #259 on: August 01, 2016, 02:37:19 pm »
Hi Sjaak,

Simon

Unfortunately the game crashes for me randomly at times...I've been able to figure out a little bit with attaching VS to try and debug the error, but to figure out what needs solved is not exactly simple considering it's been run through a code obscuring program: https://confuser.codeplex.com/

Glad I didn't spend too much time messing around with customizing it before finding out that Sjaak is moving on from it. The last published version I can find isn't stable for me, and even if it were, it has the timer limitation. Maybe one day I'll learn game development principles enough to build my own version, but I was hoping I could learn some from poking around.

Same for me, except I spent all the time to bring in the classic sprites from pac-man, and even make the baby pac sprite.  It just crashes at completely random times.  It could be first maze,...it could be after you've all gone through every maze and restarted, or it could be at the last maze.  It's really weird.  Can't some programming genius fix this problem?  Or please Sjaak, just jump back in long enough to fix that random crashing thing?  This is soooooo much better than the official version, and there is so much fun the community could have with the ability to make your own custom mazes.

Sjaak

• Offline Offline
« Reply #260 on: August 01, 2016, 02:59:03 pm »
I'm curious what version of the software you are running and where you got it, since I never released the software...

Is it the Banana Royale software?

damageinc86

• Offline Offline
« Reply #261 on: August 01, 2016, 09:07:50 pm »
Yes it's the last version you linked to in the other Banana Royale thread. BananaRoyale5.zip 

Our family is having a blast with this!  We just have to keep restarting the program.  We just got through all the rounds and then made it through 5 seconds of the next first round and it crashed. 

Sjaak

• Offline Offline
« Reply #262 on: August 02, 2016, 04:19:03 am »
Yes it's the last version you linked to in the other Banana Royale thread. BananaRoyale5.zip 

Our family is having a blast with this!  We just have to keep restarting the program.  We just got through all the rounds and then made it through 5 seconds of the next first round and it crashed.

That's not a crash, there is a timer limitation on the program (probably 5 minutes). Nothing I can do about that, because I don't have the source code anymore.

I can try to see if I can put the 8 bit version online (without the graphics), which is a much better version since it supports the Tiled level editor (http://www.mapeditor.org/) and has less sprites. But that will take some days.

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2023, 08:05:48 am
  • I have a gaming addiction.....
« Reply #263 on: August 02, 2016, 07:53:48 am »
I would really like to play BR properly with friends but the version they realeased on Museum is utter ****!

I mean you cant change the keys and you cant have multiplayer so its basiclly useless!

Very sad :(

damageinc86

• Offline Offline
« Reply #264 on: August 03, 2016, 01:48:25 am »

That's not a crash, there is a timer limitation on the program (probably 5 minutes). Nothing I can do about that, because I don't have the source code anymore.

I can try to see if I can put the 8 bit version online (without the graphics), which is a much better version since it supports the Tiled level editor (http://www.mapeditor.org/) and has less sprites. But that will take some days.

Oh wow, had no idea that was a timer.  Bummer about loosing the source code.  If you throw the 8 bit version up will it still take the same sprite folders that the bananaroyale5.zip has so one could just transfer their work over and have it function properly?  That would be great! 

I'm sure there's still a lot of interest in this, it just might not be noticeable (views, vs. actual comments).  For me, your masterful adaptation is hands down the best version out there. 
Here's what I came up with for our Pac-Family:

upload
« Last Edit: August 03, 2016, 02:11:14 am by damageinc86 »

Sjaak

• Offline Offline
« Reply #265 on: August 03, 2016, 06:56:49 am »
Does anyone have anything to share?

Sprites, sounds, levels????

damageinc86

• Offline Offline

Sjaak

• Offline Offline
« Reply #267 on: August 03, 2016, 11:31:05 am »
This update to the executable removes the timer. Just copy it over the BananaRoyale5 from the BananaRoyale topic.

To play the game, you still need to supply your own graphics (the old ones still work) and your own sounds. Or use the really nice graphics from damageinc86.  Crashes can be fixed by restarting the game ;)

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 03:47:56 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #268 on: August 03, 2016, 11:56:49 am »
You sure that update is working?  File size is about 80kb.  The previous version was 625....

Sjaak

• Offline Offline
« Reply #269 on: August 03, 2016, 12:16:22 pm »
You sure that update is working?  File size is about 80kb.  The previous version was 625....

Yes, playing it right now. I used a different obfuscator which does better compression.

damageinc86

• Offline Offline
« Reply #270 on: August 03, 2016, 07:45:56 pm »
Beautiful!  We just played through two full rounds!  Thank you very much sjaak! 

I was also wondering when making mazes using the tiled program, how do you know which of the four power pellets you put down is going to actually show up in the maze?  I am having trouble figuring out how to get more than one on screen, and then the one I thought would be there, wasn't, it was one of the other four i put down.

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #271 on: August 03, 2016, 08:16:57 pm »
Where do I get this Bannana royale 5? I would love to give this a go.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:45:17 pm
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #272 on: August 03, 2016, 08:50:14 pm »
It's on page 6 of the other thread.

Scott

Sjaak

• Offline Offline
« Reply #273 on: August 04, 2016, 03:51:29 am »
Beautiful!  We just played through two full rounds!  Thank you very much sjaak! 

I was also wondering when making mazes using the tiled program, how do you know which of the four power pellets you put down is going to actually show up in the maze?  I am having trouble figuring out how to get more than one on screen, and then the one I thought would be there, wasn't, it was one of the other four i put down.

Number of pellets = Number of remaining players - 1

Position is chosen at random from the 4 defined positions

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #274 on: August 04, 2016, 07:23:45 am »
It's on page 6 of the other thread.

Scott

Thanks, Ime gana have to check that out :)

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #275 on: August 04, 2016, 07:34:55 am »
Do you have to run it in a certain compatibility mode or something?
Ime running Windows 7 64 bit but it wont load :(

Sjaak

• Offline Offline
« Reply #276 on: August 04, 2016, 08:09:31 am »

Read the whole banana royale and this thread carefully for prerequisites and install instructions etc.

Windows versions doesn't matter

damageinc86

• Offline Offline
« Reply #277 on: August 04, 2016, 10:10:34 am »

Number of pellets = Number of remaining players - 1

Position is chosen at random from the 4 defined positions

Ahhhh that makes sense now.  Cool, thanks.  Making a decent maze is harder than it looks lol.  Maybe we should start a thread just for that  :cheers:

Hutt

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 31, 2022, 11:02:48 am
  • I like eggs.
« Reply #278 on: February 23, 2017, 12:34:19 pm »

Read the whole banana royale and this thread carefully for prerequisites and install instructions etc.

Windows versions doesn't matter

I just spent an hour looking through these threads... starts to get a little confusing after a few hundred posts.... I have version 5... but if I run the executable it just crashes in Win7.
Actually tried 4,5,6... Can you point a finger in the right direction? I would love to get this running as its quite an awesome game. Thanks.
Well, I

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 08:00:17 pm
  • <insert personal text here>
« Reply #279 on: February 23, 2017, 07:14:40 pm »