Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Pac-Man Battle Royale Replica  (Read 173719 times)

Sjaak

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 05:50:12 am
Re: Pac-Man Battle Royale Replica
« Reply #80 on: July 06, 2012, 05:48:13 am »

That gets me to thinking about Toru Iwatani's design of the original Pac-Man, particularly the ghost AI:

I've been studying some of the gameplay videos of battle royale, but it look like the ghosts move randomly. It wouldn't be fair of course to chase one player when there are 4 pac men(?).

Sjaak

• Offline Offline
« Reply #81 on: July 06, 2012, 05:55:27 am »
And another update:

I made some HPL control panel overlays and attached the joysticks and buttons. The HPL looks really good, almost a shame to cover with the control panel stickers. I also photoshopped one of the control panel graphics on the picture, to see how it's gonna look.

Up next:

• Finish the artwork for under the glass and getting everything printed.
  • Installing t-molding
  • Steel legs for support (I will probably install some wheels under the legs, because this thing is getting heavy)
  • Installing the pc and screen
« Last Edit: July 06, 2012, 06:59:45 am by Sjaak »

vanrose72

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 25, 2018, 11:19:32 am
« Reply #82 on: July 06, 2012, 08:32:12 am »
I've been studying some of the gameplay videos of battle royale, but it look like the ghosts move randomly. It wouldn't be fair of course to chase one player when there are 4 pac men(?).

Very good point! I've never played Battle Royale, but it seems like defeating fellow players would be more of a challenge than killing the ghosts anyway.

Woodshop Flunky

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 20, 2017, 05:24:57 am
« Reply #83 on: July 06, 2012, 09:23:09 am »
Very nice build!  I really like the whole concept.  :applaud:

Complete mini arcade cabinet plans available.

Sjaak

• Offline Offline
« Reply #84 on: July 08, 2012, 02:04:23 pm »
T-Molding is looking great!

Termin8tor

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 04, 2020, 01:54:23 am
« Reply #85 on: July 08, 2012, 02:36:02 pm »
looking really good. I wish I had your skills,can't wait to see this finished.  :applaud:

vanrose72

• Offline Offline
« Reply #86 on: July 09, 2012, 08:57:54 am »
T-Molding is looking great!

I've been waiting to see this. It does look great!

Sjaak

• Offline Offline
« Reply #87 on: July 11, 2012, 11:21:18 am »
I attached the steel support bars to the underside of the cabinet. I used 4 10mm (0.4") bolts on each side.

The original cabinet has leg levelers, but I preferred wheels, because I want to move it around.

Artwork is in the mail, so I hope to have it soon. After that I have to install the pc and finish the pac man battle royale software.

Well Fed Games

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 06, 2022, 07:30:46 pm
  • Delicious!
« Reply #88 on: July 11, 2012, 11:57:15 am »
Nice, out of curiosity, what was your source for artwork and the steel supports on the bottom?
Completed projects: Pac bartop (Plug & Play), 30th Anniversary Pac cab (MAME), Point Blank (PS1), Centipede (arcade hardware- light restore), VS. Super Mario Bros (arcade hardware- light restore) Tetris Cocktail (SNES), Arcade Classics upright (60-in-1, then MAME), Multi-Raiden (arcade hardware). Pac Man vs.(Gamecube),

Working on: Pinball Re-theme, Homebrew arcade arena shooter

ChadTower

• Chief Kicker - Nobody's perfect, including me. Fantastic body.
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 19, 2022, 12:01:54 pm
« Reply #89 on: July 11, 2012, 12:33:55 pm »

I put those wheels on a couple of my cabs.  They don't really keep it stable.  The fact that they rotate, and the wheel is not centered on the bracket, means when someone yanks hard on a stick it will move the cab an inch or so.  I imagine with four stick yankers that cab is going to be constantly moving in a 2" radius on the floor.   ;D

Sjaak

• Offline Offline
« Reply #90 on: July 11, 2012, 01:44:54 pm »
Nice, out of curiosity, what was your source for artwork and the steel supports on the bottom?

I got some pictures from the Namco website and found lots of pictures online. Using those pictures and the manual for the machine I created detailed plans in AutoCAD and all the artwork in Illustrator.

I put those wheels on a couple of my cabs.  They don't really keep it stable.  The fact that they rotate, and the wheel is not centered on the bracket, means when someone yanks hard on a stick it will move the cab an inch or so.  I imagine with four stick yankers that cab is going to be constantly moving in a 2" radius on the floor.   ;D

I just did a yank test and it's stable as a rock. All four wheels have brakes and the whole thing weighs a ton, so no movement. I'll retest with four stick yankers when I find some.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 01:46:52 pm by Sjaak »

Sjaak

• Offline Offline
« Reply #91 on: July 11, 2012, 01:45:58 pm »
double post

jmike

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 26, 2023, 05:14:03 am
« Reply #92 on: July 11, 2012, 01:56:10 pm »
 :applaud: :applaud:
         Can't wait to see this thing finished. I have those wheels on my 4-player cab, I guess it's also too heavy to move around during gameplay.

I know plenty of people volunteered to test out the battle royal software but I think the first person should be someone who's been following your project from the beginning. I don't know, maybe the one who replied first to your post. Wonder who that was   ::)

:cheers:

ChadTower

• Chief Kicker - Nobody's perfect, including me. Fantastic body.
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 19, 2022, 12:01:54 pm
« Reply #93 on: July 11, 2012, 02:09:50 pm »
I just did a yank test and it's stable as a rock. All four wheels have brakes and the whole thing weighs a ton, so no movement. I'll retest with four stick yankers when I find some.

It's the swivel action on the wheels and the fact that they aren't centered.  Brakes aren't going to stop the wheels from swiveling.  If someone yanks hard enough that the wheel can swivel the cab will move.

Well Fed Games

• Offline Offline
  • Delicious!
« Reply #94 on: July 11, 2012, 03:29:08 pm »

I got some pictures from the Namco website and found lots of pictures online. Using those pictures and the manual for the machine I created detailed plans in AutoCAD and all the artwork in Illustrator.

Very cool. Who do you have printing the artwork, and did a metal shop make the supports for you?

Maybe a silly question, but are you also fabricating the overhead sign and curved metal pole?

Sorry for all the questions, just love the build!
Completed projects: Pac bartop (Plug & Play), 30th Anniversary Pac cab (MAME), Point Blank (PS1), Centipede (arcade hardware- light restore), VS. Super Mario Bros (arcade hardware- light restore) Tetris Cocktail (SNES), Arcade Classics upright (60-in-1, then MAME), Multi-Raiden (arcade hardware). Pac Man vs.(Gamecube),

Sjaak

• Offline Offline
« Reply #95 on: July 12, 2012, 02:22:16 pm »
Very cool. Who do you have printing the artwork, and did a metal shop make the supports for you?

Maybe a silly question, but are you also fabricating the overhead sign and curved metal pole?

Sorry for all the questions, just love the build!

Printing the artwork (stickers) is done by posterxxl.com (in the Netherlands they also print stickers). I've ordered from them before and the print quality is very good.

The steel support is just a square steel tube (75cm x 6cm x 6cm). I ordered the two parts online. I then drilled some 10mm holes for the nuts and bolts to attach the wheel and to connect it to the underside and side of the cabinet.

I thought about doing the sign and the pole because they look real cool, but they won't fit in the game room. So instead I'm going to do just the sign and make it wall mountable and just mount it over the cabinet.

It's the swivel action on the wheels and the fact that they aren't centered.  Brakes aren't going to stop the wheels from swiveling.  If someone yanks hard enough that the wheel can swivel the cab will move.

I think that if I put it on a more slippery floor that could happen, but it's almost impossible to swivel the rubber wheels on the carpet.

I know plenty of people volunteered to test out the battle royal software but I think the first person should be someone who's been following your project from the beginning. I don't know, maybe the one who replied first to your post. Wonder who that was   ::)

I haven't forgotten about you and all the other testers. First version (just pac men that can move around a maze and don't look like pac men yet) is coming soon

Nimbus

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 21, 2019, 08:08:57 pm
« Reply #96 on: July 13, 2012, 02:57:56 am »

I think that those volunteering to test the software should be able to actually build a cabinet like this, which I plan on doing.  :cheers: I really hope to test this out as well in a dedicated cabinet!

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 07:31:21 pm
« Reply #97 on: July 13, 2012, 03:03:33 am »
Just wanna say, this project kicks so much ass.
Every time you update us with a picture, in my head I'm saying "yes! Do it! Do it! Do it!".
Very similar to the originals, great job so far.

How are you going to do the hanging marquee over-head?

jmike

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 26, 2023, 05:14:03 am
« Reply #98 on: July 13, 2012, 07:09:39 am »

I think that those volunteering to test the software should be able to actually build a cabinet like this, which I plan on doing.  :cheers: I really hope to test this out as well in a dedicated cabinet!

Planning on building?? we all have plans on building many types of of cabinets but most fall short and few get built.

Sjaak,
      your progress has got me working on my cocktail arcade again. Can wait for your next update.
     (Love the artwork so far!)

:cheers:

Sjaak

• Offline Offline
« Reply #99 on: July 13, 2012, 03:38:25 pm »
How are you going to do the hanging marquee over-head?

I'm going to do a wall mounted marquee instead of the one on the pole. Started working on the artwork today, this is what I got sofar

Still need to do the flames in the background and the star thingy in the middle could be better...

wp34

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2022, 09:48:19 pm
« Reply #100 on: July 13, 2012, 06:44:05 pm »

I'm going to do a wall mounted marquee instead of the one on the pole. Started working on the artwork today, this is what I got sofar

That's a good idea.  Your artwork is looking good so far.   :cheers:

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 08:00:17 pm
  • <insert personal text here>
« Reply #101 on: July 13, 2012, 10:34:44 pm »
That sign would look awesome if you carved it, or had it carved.  Either or.  Totally should go 3D tho. 

Sjaak

• Offline Offline
« Reply #102 on: July 14, 2012, 10:21:10 am »
Marquee artwork is done. Still waiting for the control panel stickers, should be here early next week.

Well Fed Games

• Offline Offline
  • Delicious!
« Reply #103 on: July 14, 2012, 12:54:07 pm »
Urgh.  Are you committed to those flames?

Um, thread title says replica, and they are on the original...

gbeef

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 22, 2018, 03:32:26 pm
    • arcadepix.com
« Reply #104 on: July 14, 2012, 01:00:54 pm »
Sweet progress.... do you have a link to the thread where your diving the software side of things?
Very nice replica, fine attention to detail. :applaud:

My cabs
4 Player Arcade
X-men Arcade Remixed
My Pin Cab Attack of the PINZ cab
My Racing Cabinet Cab [URL=http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=

yaksplat

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 13, 2021, 03:50:10 pm
    • Random Projects
« Reply #105 on: July 14, 2012, 01:02:07 pm »
Project looks awesome so far.  Well Done!
Check out my current 3 machine build:
http://yaksplat.wordpress.com

Custom Control Panels: http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=121245

vanrose72

• Offline Offline
« Reply #106 on: July 14, 2012, 04:54:39 pm »
Marquee artwork is done. Still waiting for the control panel stickers, should be here early next week.

Beautiful, beautiful work, Sjaak!
Woodworking, illustration, game design. Is there anything you can't do? :)

Nimbus

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 21, 2019, 08:08:57 pm
« Reply #107 on: July 15, 2012, 01:25:10 am »

Planning on building?? we all have plans on building many types of of cabinets but most fall short and few get built.

I own a CNC router.  ;) I've vectorized and repro'ed several arcade cabinets already. I've been wanting to build this cab for a while now, but without the game to go with it there was no reason. I will DEFINITELY be building a cab like this if I can test the software...

Sjaak

• Offline Offline
« Reply #108 on: July 15, 2012, 06:10:26 am »

The game is nowhere near completion, graphics code isn't optimized at all, there debugging information all over the screen. But you can move two blocks around a maze and bump into each other (use the arrow keys for one and aswd for the other).

The game only runs on 1920x1080 Full HD resolution, so you need a PC/Graphic card that can handle that. There will not be a version which supports other resolutions.

To run the game, you need the following runtimes
Microsoft .NET Framework 4
Microsoft XNA Framework Redistributable 4.0

You might also need DirectX 9.0c
DirectX End-User Runtime Web Installer

For performance measuring you can use Fraps

And of course you need the game as well.

I would like to get some input on all the various machines it runs on, so if you get it running, let me know what processor/graphic card/windows version/directx version you have and how it performs.

Well Fed Games

• Offline Offline
  • Delicious!
« Reply #109 on: July 15, 2012, 07:33:57 pm »
Sorry, my display capabilities are crap... only goes up to 1300 x something.  :(

Gaaargh

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 20, 2023, 02:27:52 pm
« Reply #110 on: July 15, 2012, 11:39:06 pm »
This is looking more amazing each update!
Kludged together a MAME cab 10 years ago, it got a makeover January 2012

2012 - built a cocktail Pacman near-repro running 60-odd vertical games Link

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 08:00:17 pm
  • <insert personal text here>
« Reply #111 on: July 16, 2012, 08:41:41 am »
Sjaak - got the game running on Intel Dual 2.1 with 4gb ram running W764 and stock HP video card.  Skipped once or twice but other than that the blocks did behave as expected with good movement and bounce off.  Look forward to your next update.  If you need any other info let me know. 

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:02:22 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #112 on: July 16, 2012, 04:17:05 pm »

Pac-Man Battle Royale for the Atari 2600 kicked so much ass!
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

Sjaak

• Offline Offline
« Reply #113 on: July 17, 2012, 03:24:02 pm »
Stickers are in...

And a preview of the sticker under the playfield glass

alfonzotan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 28, 2023, 08:39:45 am
    • The Cab With No Name
« Reply #114 on: July 18, 2012, 07:02:58 am »

Sjaak

• Offline Offline
« Reply #115 on: July 19, 2012, 08:41:41 am »
Almost done, I just need to drill some big holes for the XL cupholders.

The control panel is actually a piece of black HPL with a sticker on top of it. The HPL covers the hole from the top mounted joystick.

Well Fed Games

• Offline Offline
  • Delicious!
« Reply #116 on: July 19, 2012, 08:49:14 am »
I feel like I am just repeating myself at this point, but I will say it anyway- looks great!

wp34

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2022, 09:48:19 pm
« Reply #117 on: July 19, 2012, 09:03:40 am »
I feel like I am just repeating myself at this point, but I will say it anyway- looks great!

Ditto.   :applaud:

emphatic

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 09:41:25 am
  • -"Suck it, Donny!" -"No, YOU suck it.... more".
    • Emphatic's Video Game Collection
« Reply #118 on: July 19, 2012, 11:34:32 am »
And I just agree.  :applaud:

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 07:31:21 pm
« Reply #119 on: July 19, 2012, 11:55:03 am »
I concur.  :laugh: