Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Ticked off need frontend help  (Read 3108 times)

Jim

• Trade Count: (0)
Ticked off need frontend help
« on: June 01, 2002, 04:49:32 pm »
Hi
I am pissed off. i cant get my machine running how i want. I tried GL it works great. 2 problems though. hidding the windows system stuff, and scanlines..they do not go nice and deep like MAME32. I tried using mame 32 and it looks and plays great, but when used with GL the scanlines etc do not work? any ideas please. I love GL ease of use, but i need mame to look good

JIM
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by 1026619200 »

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 21, 2024, 11:59:54 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
Re: Ticked off need frontend help
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2002, 11:06:28 am »
The scanlines is a mame thing, not a gl thing... you need to check mame's configuration files.

To hide the "windows system stuff" your only real option is to change the "shell" entry in your win.ini file to point to gl.  This will lock you out of windows though and make it a dedicated machine.  The only way to get back to the windows desktop after this is to boot into dos and re-edit the win.ini file.  

Btw, making a heading like "I'm ticked" isn't the best way to get help. These are very noob problems and saying your so angry over them just shows your impatience and lack of research.  

Hope that helps.
HAC  

neuromancer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 10, 2006, 04:26:57 pm
  • Can I Play?
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2002, 11:55:00 am »
The scanlines is a mame thing, not a gl thing... you need to check mame's configuration files.

To hide the "windows system stuff" your only real option is to change the "shell" entry in your win.ini file to point to gl.  
HAC  

I tried to set shell=arcadeos.exe and it just made my system hang. Is there something else I need to do for that to work?

Thanks

Bob
South Carolina

Jim

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2002, 05:24:57 pm »
Hi,
I am frustrated that is all sorry bout that. I still cant get mame to be FULL SCREEN with scanlines. You have to turn hwstretch off to get them, but then the screen is not full size. I have checked all the faqs on mame and this is what it said to do on mame official faq. Says no scanlines if u go hwstretch.

As for hidding windows. i thought there would be a decent program to do this? I have had no luck though :(  Other than that, things are running good.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2002, 10:38:04 pm »
ArcadeOs is goofy... if im not mistaken you have to replace shell with a bat  file that launches aos to use it as your shell.  

so make a bat file that says:

cd\
c:
cd path
cd to
cd aos
aos.exe

or whatever your equivelent is

Skeleton

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 26, 2002, 05:45:22 pm
    • Skeleton's Arcade
Hiding windows system stuff ...
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2002, 05:37:20 am »
I too wanted to completely hide all evidence that the machine is running windows and I came pretty close to that goal. You can make your frontend the windows shell, but this has some drawbacks and I'm not sure how well this works with DOS based frontends like AOS. The way I did it was to write a VB program that makes API calls to hide the Taskbar and Desktop. You can download this off my site. To hide the mouse pointer I think there is a program out there somewhere called BZHider (search for it). I haven't tried this program yet, but it is supposed to hide the mouse. Check out the Software page on my site for more info.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
Re: Hiding windows system stuff ...
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2002, 06:10:00 pm »
I too wanted to completely hide all evidence that the machine is running windows and I came pretty close to that goal.  The way I did it was to write a VB program that makes API calls to hide the Taskbar and Desktop. You can download this off my site.

Sometime this summer I want to get the M.O.R.G. project underway.  I think your app would be a wonderful piece of software to add to the collection.  The goal of M.O.R.G. is to make software to take care of the little windows annoyances and ultimately make it easier for windoze cab setups.  I've got many wrappers I'm working on which aid in making problem emus front-end compatable.  Also a bunch of little problem solving apps like one that renames vp tables.  

Remind me once it gets underway.