Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: ... someday?  (Read 1602 times)

Fandenivoldsk

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 26, 2014, 06:47:50 am
  • I want my own arcade controls!
... someday?
« on: September 27, 2003, 03:23:08 am »
Do anyone here think a frontend with a GUI like this one (see pictures on the left: http://www.mumbojumbo.com/anthology.html will become possible some day?

paigeoliver

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 29, 2022, 06:10:15 pm
  • Awesome face!
Re:... someday?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2003, 03:26:14 am »
If that gui already exists for that compilation, then it is obviously possible.  ;D
Acceptance of Zen philosophy is marred slightly by the nagging thought that if all things are interconnected, then all things must be in some way involved with Pauly Shore.

Magnet_Eye

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 11, 2020, 09:26:19 pm
  • Feel the heat?
    • Web Hosting deals for BYOAC Users!
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2003, 08:25:25 am »
pretty rad, dude!

It's gonna take alot of brain power from this community to develop something as cool as that!

Maybe in 10 years...

:P

PS- Realize this is a pre-determined gamelist. It's a lot easier to develop a cool gui for a compilation that has a SET number of games, and game titles. Now, if you expect this rotating carousel to place random game titles into it, etc...that's when things get difficult. Not to mention settings, and so on. Ya know what i mean?

« Last Edit: September 27, 2003, 08:29:28 am by Magnet_Eye »
I offer discounted WEB HOSTING to BYOAC members! Only $2.49 a month for a FULL FEATURED account! www.cloud9media.com

DaveMMR

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 29, 2024, 11:49:01 am
    • TeeVee Games
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2003, 10:30:59 am »
Wait a minute!   Was that Activision Anthology Remix?!  You mean I have to buy that game all over again?!?!?!?

sac01

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 27, 2016, 08:15:22 am
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2003, 07:43:35 pm »
ummmm..... maybe i'm missing something here, but wouldn't the MAME equivalent be the 3-D Arcade FE?

shrug

Jakobud

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 11, 2024, 04:45:38 am
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2003, 12:21:23 am »
I've always wondered why no one has ever attempted a 3d Frontend using the Quake 1 source code.

Magnet_Eye

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 11, 2020, 09:26:19 pm
  • Feel the heat?
    • Web Hosting deals for BYOAC Users!
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2003, 05:28:00 pm »
Or can't you use almost any game engine? Like making a MOD for Unreal 2000, or HL, or Quake?

And have it be like 3dArcade, but even better? Crazy environments with an arcade you walk into from outside, or in a mall?

::)
I offer discounted WEB HOSTING to BYOAC members! Only $2.49 a month for a FULL FEATURED account! www.cloud9media.com

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 16, 2024, 05:59:16 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2003, 08:03:50 pm »
Jake / Magnet/ ect I think you memories are failing you, you've asked this quesiton before and we've answered.  Quake 3 ut2k ect are inferior to the 3darcade engine.  They simply can't handle the high poly count that a decent arcade model requires.  It's 5 to 20 times great than the average grunt model in quake 3.  

Also maybe in 10 years my butt.  3darcade can already do it if you are willing to model the environment (which most aren't).  Full 3d support will be in dk before next christmas.  

paigeoliver

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 29, 2022, 06:10:15 pm
  • Awesome face!
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2003, 08:37:03 pm »
You can use Quake 2 if you are willing to go with lower poly count machine models. I did a whole bunch of arcade games (some with animated screens) in a quake 2 level a while back. I remember having Tempest, Star Wars, and Star Castle for sure, probably others too (I am sure I have those files somewhere around here).
Acceptance of Zen philosophy is marred slightly by the nagging thought that if all things are interconnected, then all things must be in some way involved with Pauly Shore.

sac01

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 27, 2016, 08:15:22 am
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2003, 08:43:54 pm »
Hey wait!!! You could do it with maybe the GTA3 engine....beat up some hookers, then drive to different arcades, hop outta the car, and kick someone on the way inside...where you could then walk up to your favorite cabinet....and if you fail to beat your high score, you could pull out a RPG and blow the place to hell

:)

DaveMMR

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 29, 2024, 11:49:01 am
    • TeeVee Games
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2003, 11:02:04 pm »
It all sounds pretty cool but not something I'd put on a cab (perhaps for the desktop computer).  Spending a few minutes strolling around a 3-D environment just to boot up Pac-Man seems kinda taxing after awhile.

Don't get me wrong, still good ideas though.  Well except for that 'blowing up the arcade' deal, sac01.  I think you need a time out.  (just kidding)  :)

Chris

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 21, 2019, 04:59:49 pm
    • Chris's MAME Cabinet
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2003, 11:31:20 pm »
*blink* Am I really seeing a game on that list called "Bloody Human Freeway"?  I never had that on my 2600...

--Chris
--Chris
DOSCab/WinCab Jukebox: http://www.dwjukebox.com