Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Best Diablo 3 Announcement reaction gifs ever...  (Read 27919 times)

kahlid74

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 01, 2021, 12:42:56 pm
  • Gaming for a better future!
    • GamersAnon
Re: Best Diablo 3 Announcement reaction gifs ever...
« Reply #40 on: April 27, 2012, 06:47:04 am »
Yeah, so WoW has been compromised, just like all other MMO's.  They key is a good logging/auditing system where you can identify it during it's infancy stages and shut it down.

At the end of the day requiring an online connection provides more security than without, so that's why they went with it.  Everything gets logged into their system and they can review that data at any time for any reason.

I buy all of my PC games, with the exception of the latest Duke Nukem release which I tried for two levels and deleted.  I'm not concerned with the always on connection being DRM, I'm concerned because my connection gets lost frequently enough that it's a PITA.  It's why I don't play online games.  So for me, it's just irritatingly inconvenient.  When I want to play my single player game, I just want to play it.  The last time my connection went down was last night.

Can you get a different connection?  Different vendor/provider?  This was one of the reasons I used to argue against online connectivity because not everyone had stable internet connections but now days, I just don't see too many people without stable connections so I don't think it's relevant.

Dervacumen

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 13, 2019, 10:11:11 pm
  • Home of Three Squares dice game
    • Beaker Games
« Reply #41 on: April 27, 2012, 06:51:23 pm »
Yeah, so WoW has been compromised, just like all other MMO's.  They key is a good logging/auditing system where you can identify it during it's infancy stages and shut it down.

At the end of the day requiring an online connection provides more security than without, so that's why they went with it.  Everything gets logged into their system and they can review that data at any time for any reason.

I buy all of my PC games, with the exception of the latest Duke Nukem release which I tried for two levels and deleted.  I'm not concerned with the always on connection being DRM, I'm concerned because my connection gets lost frequently enough that it's a PITA.  It's why I don't play online games.  So for me, it's just irritatingly inconvenient.  When I want to play my single player game, I just want to play it.  The last time my connection went down was last night.

Can you get a different connection?  Different vendor/provider?  This was one of the reasons I used to argue against online connectivity because not everyone had stable internet connections but now days, I just don't see too many people without stable connections so I don't think it's relevant.

I have AT&T DSL and I guess I could switch to comcast cable but then I'd think of switching my Directv.  I live in nowhere with not many options and 15 miles from everywhere with a lot of options.  A week after I bought this house I had the phone company running tests on my lines and they said nothing was wrong but I kept getting static during calls.  LOUD static.  That was ten years ago.  There are gremlins somewhere but I object to tearing in to my house wiring so I can play a single player video game. 
Bringing to life a child's imagination.

kalars123

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 09, 2019, 12:31:51 pm
« Reply #42 on: April 27, 2012, 07:04:35 pm »
dsl is the devils tool switch to comcast, also just nitpicking here, D3 has never been advertised as anyrhing other than an obline multiplayer game outside the panels of blizzcon, and the dev videos I dont even think they have exclusivly mentioned the single player part of the game
« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 07:06:53 pm by kalars123 »

kalars123

• Offline Offline
« Reply #43 on: April 27, 2012, 07:05:17 pm »
Stupid double post
« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 07:13:27 pm by kalars123 »

Ed_McCarron

• Nothing worse than Picard issuing the self destruct order and the next thing you know it your apartment blows up.
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 20, 2022, 02:33:39 pm
  • Get your mind out of the gutter. THIS is a dongle.
« Reply #44 on: April 27, 2012, 09:01:12 pm »
Would you refuse to shop at a store because you know they have surveillance cameras?

Nope.  But I would stop shopping there if at any time they could decide to take their product back.  Or render it useless by going out of business.
But wasn't it fun to think you won the lottery, just for a second there???

shmokes

• Just think of all the suffering in this world that could have been avoided had I just been a little better informed. :)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 24, 2016, 06:50:42 pm
  • Don't tread on me.
    • Jake Moses
« Reply #45 on: April 28, 2012, 12:49:23 pm »
I totally understand that. I get the principles. But what I mean is what are those principles worth to you? I mean, say Red Dead Redemption is your favorite game of all time, but the ease of piracy with the mass distribution of Bit Torrent combined with 100 Mbit broadband connections makes a game of that scale impossible to make and remain profitable? It seems to me that at one point the question isn't whether you want the company to be able to render your game useless by going out of business, but whether the pros outweigh the cons--whether the DRM, which admittedly is not ideal for the consumer, is still preferable to not having the game.

My point is, it seems to me that everyone is like, "No way!" because the DRM sucks, without considering the possibility that maybe it's actually better than the alternative. And maybe it's not better. But the people who are just standing on an absolute principle don't seem to even be considering the possibility.
Check out my website for in-depth reviews of children's books, games, and educational apps for the iPad:

Best Kid iPad Apps

Samstag

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 16, 2016, 01:41:19 am
  • That's not a llama!
« Reply #46 on: April 28, 2012, 01:06:08 pm »
I totally understand that. I get the principles. But what I mean is what are those principles worth to you? I mean, say Red Dead Redemption is your favorite game of all time, but the ease of piracy with the mass distribution of Bit Torrent combined with 100 Mbit broadband connections makes a game of that scale impossible to make and remain profitable? It seems to me that at one point the question isn't whether you want the company to be able to render your game useless by going out of business, but whether the pros outweigh the cons--whether the DRM, which admittedly is not ideal for the consumer, is still preferable to not having the game.

My point is, it seems to me that everyone is like, "No way!" because the DRM sucks, without considering the possibility that maybe it's actually better than the alternative. And maybe it's not better. But the people who are just standing on an absolute principle don't seem to even be considering the possibility.

The alternative to the intrusive DRM is a pig pile of quality games that keep the DRM within reason.  I don't buy any Ubisoft games since they started the always-on DRM crap for single-player games and while I'm missing out on some great Assassin's Creed games, there are plenty of great games available from publishers I'm willing to give my cash.

I bought RDR twice (PS3 and 360) even though I have the ability to pirate it on both platforms.  I'm willing to pay for quality and I'm willing to pass up a good game if it has unacceptable DRM.

Speaking of awesome alternatives, Syndicate is on sale for $3 right now at gog.com.

shmokes

• Just think of all the suffering in this world that could have been avoided had I just been a little better informed. :)
  • Offline Offline
  • Don't tread on me.
    • Jake Moses
« Reply #47 on: April 28, 2012, 02:41:05 pm »
But how intrusive is it, really? I mean, five years ago yeah, and maybe for a small subset of the population. But, like, I play Draw Something on a near daily basis and the fact that I need to have an active internet connection is entirely transparent. I don't even think about it. I mean, really, anymore is actively checking for anti-piracy any more intrusive than if you make a service call to a plumber and before they send someone out they make sure you don't have an unpaid balance with them? Cos in principle it seem like that's essentially what's happening. Before you play the game the creator is making sure that you purchased the game. And the process for almost everyone is 100% transparent. You don't see it happen. Your internet is always on and the amount of bandwidth the antipiracy check uses is negligible.

It's not intrusive. I mean, if you didn't know it was happening you wouldn't even know it was happening. I think It's offending other sensibilities, for the most part.
Check out my website for in-depth reviews of children's books, games, and educational apps for the iPad:

Best Kid iPad Apps

Samstag

• Offline Offline
  • That's not a llama!
« Reply #48 on: April 28, 2012, 07:34:00 pm »
Draw Something is a multiplayer game and one you don't even need to pay for.  You can't play it without an internet connection, so if they want to authenticate every session of your free game I wouldn't have any problem with that.

Intrusive is putting mandatory authentication in my single-player game so I can't play it when I'm on the road or years later when the company shuts down their servers.

I just found my missing disc from Grim Fandango so I can finally play it again.  I'd be pretty pissed if I couldn't because the authentication servers were gone.

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 07:29:48 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #49 on: April 28, 2012, 10:05:23 pm »
Anyone who is ok with always on line internet connectivity as DRM doesnt have comcast as an ISP
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

fallacy

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 23, 2024, 12:27:45 am
« Reply #50 on: April 28, 2012, 10:21:12 pm »
Nope.  But I would stop shopping there if at any time they could decide to take their product back.  Or render it useless by going out of business.

Intrusive is putting mandatory authentication in my single-player game so I can't play it when I'm on the road or years later when the company shuts down their servers.

I just found my missing disc from Grim Fandango so I can finally play it again.  I'd be pretty pissed if I couldn't because the authentication servers were gone.

You’re really that worried about playing it once 10 years later? Fail, concern is fail...Pfff I am sure at that point someone will make a hack version that you could play in an emulator or watever.

You do realize the price of the game is the same as  you dish out to your internet provider every month. We are not talking a sizable investment for your entertainment her.

shmokes

• Offline Offline
  • Don't tread on me.
    • Jake Moses
« Reply #51 on: April 28, 2012, 10:25:07 pm »
Draw Something is a multiplayer game and one you don't even need to pay for.  You can't play it without an internet connection, so if they want to authenticate every session of your free game I wouldn't have any problem with that.

I just found my missing disc from Grim Fandango so I can finally play it again.  I'd be pretty pissed if I couldn't because the authentication servers were gone.

You miss the point. It doesn't matter whether Draw Something was free or whether I paid $1000 for it. Either way, I wouldn't know whether it's phoning home. Obviously it is because it's an online game, but the point is, it's totally transparent. It's not like I have a dial-up modem and must connect to the internet. I'm already connected. 24-hours per day. The game just uses that open door.

As for on the road, it's just a made up thing. Honestly it is. A #1 you don't actually play games on the road that aren't on your phone/iPad. Hypothetically yes, but realistically . . . it doesn't happen. Let's be honest. And even if I'm wrong, where are you playing that you don't have internet these days? You have to be literally on the road, cos god knows your hotel has free Wi-Fi (and even then there's a good chance you've got mobile hotspot on your phone). Are you driving? Cos you probably don't need to be playing Diablo 3 while you drive. It's just a hypothetical to get up in arms about--but the chances of it affecting you are actually near zero.

Best Kid iPad Apps

shmokes

• Offline Offline
  • Don't tread on me.
    • Jake Moses
« Reply #52 on: April 28, 2012, 10:28:22 pm »
Anyone who is ok with always on line internet connectivity as DRM doesnt have comcast as an ISP

Comcast is my internet provider since I moved here in October and my internet has gone down exactly zero times since then. Maybe it'll go down tomorrow, but even so, once every six months ain't that bad.

Best Kid iPad Apps

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #53 on: April 28, 2012, 10:39:47 pm »

Comcast is my internet provider since I moved here in October and my internet has gone down exactly zero times since then. Maybe it'll go down tomorrow, but even so, once every six months ain't that bad.

exceptions to every rule. Perhaps I'm jaded because I used to work for them, or I'm jaded cause its dropped 3 times this year alone.

Vigo

• the Scourage of Carpathia
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 21, 2024, 08:20:28 am
« Reply #54 on: April 28, 2012, 11:23:23 pm »
ooh, dont get me started at how bad my internet was when I was with comcast.....not to mention the monthly bill. I also don't miss the bandwidth throttling.

shmokes

• Offline Offline
  • Don't tread on me.
    • Jake Moses
« Reply #55 on: April 29, 2012, 12:14:14 am »
The bill is awful. Unfortunately, while FIOS is in my area, it's not in my building. So the only alternative is DSL, which is hardly an alternative.

Best Kid iPad Apps

Samstag

• Offline Offline
  • That's not a llama!
« Reply #56 on: April 29, 2012, 01:19:36 am »
As for on the road, it's just a made up thing. Honestly it is. A #1 you don't actually play games on the road that aren't on your phone/iPad. Hypothetically yes, but realistically . . . it doesn't happen. Let's be honest. And even if I'm wrong, where are you playing that you don't have internet these days? You have to be literally on the road, cos god knows your hotel has free Wi-Fi (and even then there's a good chance you've got mobile hotspot on your phone). Are you driving? Cos you probably don't need to be playing Diablo 3 while you drive. It's just a hypothetical to get up in arms about--but the chances of it affecting you are actually near zero.

It's not a hypothetical problem to me.  When I go to New Jersey on business I work goofy hours so all my down time is at times of the day when nothing is open.  I'm stuck in a hotel with intermittent internet and very poor cell reception.  It's pretty frustrating to not be able to play a single player game because I can't get a connection.  Eight weeks straight away from home can make me pretty cranky, so I've got a bit of a chip on my shoulder about phone-home DRM.

CheffoJeffo

• Cheffo's right! ---saint
  • Wiki Master
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 02, 2024, 01:02:45 pm
  • Worthless button pusher!
« Reply #57 on: April 29, 2012, 10:50:14 am »
You do realize the price of the game is the same as  you dish out to your internet provider every month. We are not talking a sizable investment for your entertainment her.

So less than a pay-per-view MMA, right ?

;)

You don't travel much, do you ?

While it is currently a hypothetical for me (I don't travel much for business any more), that isn't so for everybody (although, realistically, we have so many choices for entertainment inflight that it may be more of a hypothetical than I admit).

This is a statement that I can totally agree with.

For my part, I am enjoying The Legend of Grimrock, which cost me $12 and has no intrusive DRM.

« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 10:52:12 am by CheffoJeffo »
Working: Not Enough
Projects: Too Many
Progress: None

shmokes

• Offline Offline
  • Don't tread on me.
    • Jake Moses
« Reply #58 on: April 29, 2012, 11:58:19 am »

You don't travel much, do you ?

I don't. But neither do the vast majority of people. And these days if you ARE a person who travels a lot for work you very probably have 3G or even LTE internet connectivity, if not on the laptop itself, then via mobile hotspot. And if not, as I said, you'll have internet access in your hotel. I suppose it's a bit of a pain not being able to play on a plane, but how big a deal is that really? You can't play tennis on a plane either, but that won't stop you buying a racquet. Just consider Diablo like tennis--an awsome game that can't be played on a plane (or pay extra for in-flight WiFi, like paying for an in-flight tennis court, which I totally would do). And like you said, there's no shortage of other entertainment options on a plane. It seems like potentially a bit melodramatic to refuse to get a game you really want just cos you can't play it on a plane. Like . . . just play that one elsewhere.

Best Kid iPad Apps

kahlid74

• Offline Offline
    • GamersAnon
« Reply #59 on: April 30, 2012, 10:21:26 am »
I've seen Comcast be a nightmare and I've seen it be fine.  The key to this is to remember the medium.  Cable as a medium is a shared pipe per section.  So it can have good days, bad days and NIGHTMARISH days.  Additionally in highly dense/populated areas the sharing can be to such an extreme that you never have a chance to talk.

I'm always blown away at the degradation of our communication systems in the USA.  We're so behind on infrastructure that sometimes I forget how old the outlying areas are structure wise.

Either way I'm not a fan of DRM but always online for Diablo 3 doesn't upset me because I know that there is no theoretical "single player" in Diablo 3.  Every game is now an online game and as such the Auction House has presence.  And since something holding real money is now connected we'd need to make sure all the items are good to go.

ChrisK

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 23, 2017, 12:06:50 pm
« Reply #60 on: May 01, 2012, 11:46:50 pm »
The security camera analogy isn't a good one because they are completely passive devices.  I don't like intrusive DRM.  I remember waaaaay back when Diablo 1 was released I brought my copy home from Best Buy and installed it.  When I tried to run it, I got an error that told me to insert the original CD into the drive.  I couldn't play the game.

Turned out they had copy protection in the game where it would read your CD-ROM drive in CD audio mode to make sure you had the original CD.  I imagine the idea was that it was hard (at the time) to rip a multi-mode CD (one with data and audio tracks), so if the game detected a CD without the appropriate audio tracks you were deemed a dirty pirate.  The problem for me was I didn't have a CD audio cable attached from my CD-ROM drive to my Sound Blaster, so I always failed the check.  I had to go download a crack for the game to play it.

There are countless other examples of DRM screwing things up for legitimate owners.  There are also systems that are customer-friendly (like Steam).  I won't buy Ubisoft games or D3 for their always-on DRM, but I've got a boatload of games purchased from Steam.  I'm happy to buy stuff, I'm just not willing to be screwed with when I do buy stuff.

shmokes

• Offline Offline
  • Don't tread on me.
    • Jake Moses
« Reply #61 on: May 02, 2012, 12:50:04 am »
That's the point I tried to illustrate with Draw Something. I just turn the game on and play it. It never asks me to connect to the internet. It just does what it needs to do with the connection that's always on. The same is true for games that do online checks. The are not intrusive. They may be other things. They me violate legitimate conceptions of property rights. They may violate privacy. But they are not intrusive. They are the opposite. They're invisible. The check typically takes place in the background and if you didn't know it was happening you'd never know it was happening. In that respect it's actually LESS intrusive than a typical suveillance camera, since at least you can usually SEE the camera and you know you're being recorded.

Best Kid iPad Apps

ChrisK

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 23, 2017, 12:06:50 pm
« Reply #62 on: May 02, 2012, 09:32:50 am »
Ah, sorry Shmokes.  I misread your post.

Behind-the-scenes check-ins are disturbing to me, too.  If you run an app-level firewall on your computer you'll know just how many programs check in.  It's a LOT of them!  Many are just doing it under the auspices of an update check, but there's nothing to stop a program from sending any information it wants when checking for an update.  Such as: "my name is Chris' Computer, I'm running win7, my Win7 product ID is 123, I've got version 3.4 of your app installed, oh and by the way here's the Firefox password file for this user".

Not saying any apps do that, but even without root access on a machine an application can behave very badly without your knowledge.

knave

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 13, 2023, 03:32:33 pm
« Reply #63 on: May 02, 2012, 12:00:09 pm »
This has been an interesting discussion. The example of Draw something rubs me the wrong way though...this game and many like it on android (words with friends) seem to want to integrate so much with all the social media crap. I don't want it all connected. So it bothers me to be forced to in order to play the game. This seems to be a issue I have personally with android. I just have to get over it since it's the direction the software is going.

I have much less of an issue with steam. Even though the distribution system is on line I have had good luck playing in offline mode. Playing a game like Diablo 3 however I'm torn. While I do not like the idea that I am limited in how or when I play the game it becomes less of an issue since they made it very clear before I purchased the game. So if I buy it, it's my choice.

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #64 on: May 02, 2012, 01:56:01 pm »
using "drawsomething" as a parallel is ---smurfing--- stupid. You cant play that game alone, cause you would already know what you drew. The capacity to play Diablo 3 solo is there, I'm actually OK with the DRM but I'll be bitching and moaning when the server goes down, or my internet goes down, or they eclipse the server and I load it up on my 50th birthday for nostalgia and cant play.

shmokes

• Offline Offline
  • Don't tread on me.
    • Jake Moses
« Reply #65 on: May 02, 2012, 02:42:16 pm »
It doesn't matter whether you're playing alone or with 50 million people. The point is, if you can't tell that the program is phoning home it's not intrusive. I'm using Draw Something as an example merely to illustrate how non-disruptive online communications are anymore.

Best Kid iPad Apps

shmokes

• Offline Offline
  • Don't tread on me.
    • Jake Moses
« Reply #66 on: May 02, 2012, 02:50:35 pm »
Draw something . . . seem(s) to want to integrate so much with all the social media crap. I don't want it all connected. So it bothers me to be forced to in order to play the game.

I'm the same way. I have no apps installed on Facebook for this reason. There have been many times that I've clicked a link, thinking, "Oh, that sounds cool . . . I'd like to do that," only to be faced with the app installation page that says things like, "This app can post things to your friends' walls . . ." At which point I always click cancel. Why would I ever trust anyone, let alone some faceless corporation, to post things ostensibly from me onto my friends' wall?

When I first fired up Draw Something, I thought the same thing. However, upon closer inspection it became clear that this isn't necessary. You can connect with Facebook OR simply provide an email address. It can just be a throwaway email address that you'll never use, too. They just need some unique way to identify you. Beyond that you can connect with people either by being matched randomly or by typing in their usernames. No need to interface with Facebook.

Best Kid iPad Apps

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #67 on: May 02, 2012, 04:57:13 pm »
It doesn't matter whether you're playing alone or with 50 million people. The point is, if you can't tell that the program is phoning home it's not intrusive. I'm using Draw Something as an example merely to illustrate how non-disruptive online communications are anymore.

You're missing my point. You're using an online only multi-player only game that cant be played solo as a reason that all games are ok to have an online check. Does not compute.

Diablo 3 having to check back home is more akin to not being able to play Super Mario World unless your XBand is online. I know they are doing to to prevent duping and the like because of the auction house, and like I said I'm ok with *THIS* game doing it, but that doesn't mean its ok for ALL games to do it.

knave

• Offline Offline
« Reply #68 on: May 02, 2012, 05:16:29 pm »
I think for me the bottom line is that if Diablo 3 turns out to be Amazing! I will get it knowing that I'll have to only play it when I have an internet connection.

I don't play steam games offline a lot but I have done it. Sometimes there just isn't wifi available.  Which is too bad for me if I'm in one of those situations and want to play.

shmokes

• Offline Offline
  • Don't tread on me.
    • Jake Moses
« Reply #69 on: May 02, 2012, 07:27:18 pm »

You're missing my point. You're using an online only multi-player only game that cant be played solo as a reason that all games are ok to have an online check. Does not compute.

Jesus Christ on a stick, how many ways can I say this? I'm not missing your point. You're just hammering on a straw man. I used Draw Something as an illustration of how seemless and entirely invisible phoning home is these days. NOTHING MORE. I didn't say "Draw Something phones home and thus so should every other game be able to," or anything of the sort. I said that phoning home isn't typically intrusive. It's not. It's invisible. Completely.

You're wrong anyway. The fact that some game uses online communication for gameplay purposes doesn't somehow legitimize communications that are otherwise wrong. EA couldn't very well steal personal info from your computer on the grounds that you gave FIFA permission to play against online opponents. If online DRM checking is fundamentally wrong it is wrong regardless of whether you've given the company permission to comminicate online for other reasons.

Best Kid iPad Apps

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #70 on: May 02, 2012, 08:27:24 pm »
My point is you keep glossing over the fact drawsomething cant be played offline by yourself and is a bad example. You can be as blasphemous as you want, it's still valid.

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #71 on: May 02, 2012, 08:49:10 pm »
Im gonna stop, its mostly just me pushing your buttons for fun.

Im gonna buy diablo 3 because I loved the first 2 so much, when not being able to play because I cant phone home happens its gonna suck, but its just a game. I dont buy a lot of PC games (I dont steal them like fallacy either) so if the model switches to internet DRM it wont have  huge impact on me either way, but it will be one less reason for me to want to buy games.

take care, and happy gaming.

T

kahlid74

• Offline Offline
    • GamersAnon
« Reply #72 on: May 03, 2012, 07:40:15 am »
I think there may be a misnomer here, Diablo 3 is for all intensive purposes now a F2P MMO.  It's online, it has a central queuing system and a buyable items system, it can't be played offline, and when you create a game logically it's really just another instanced zone.

So all other parallels don't hold up, because it's no longer just a RPG, it's an MMORPG in the true essence.

So in truth, Draw something and Diablo 3 are identical in that they are both MMO's.

Diablo 1/2 weren't MMO's but D3 is.  It's a design decision Blizzard went with after WoW's monster success.  Every game they make now will be an MMO and will be F2P.

knave

• Offline Offline
« Reply #73 on: May 03, 2012, 11:35:22 am »
It's a design decision Blizzard went with after WoW's monster success.

I think this is why folks have got their panties all in a twist...

Vigo

• the Scourage of Carpathia
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 21, 2024, 08:20:28 am
« Reply #74 on: May 03, 2012, 12:06:54 pm »
Diablo 3 has single player mode. You can play the whole game single player like you could the previous 2 games.  :dunno Yes, they expanded the multiplayer and crippled the single player with the always online DRM. You can't even pause in single player mode anymore.  From what I heard though, its single player mode is cool with NPC characters that will campaign with you, which is what D2 needed. Actually gives purpose to the paladin's skills in single player.

Unless I am campaigning with friends, I actually always preferred single player mode. I could play much more casually, I never felt obligated to play more than an hour at a time and these days I have to pause video games on a very regular basis. I am a little sad that since my gaming is spread out more, I might be "too old" for Diablo III.  :(  The crippling of single player with the DRM probably gonna keep me from buying this game. and mostly because I won't be able to pause. Its kinda sad because I love the Diablo games so much.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 12:27:50 pm by Vigo »

kahlid74

• Offline Offline
    • GamersAnon
« Reply #75 on: May 03, 2012, 02:51:47 pm »
Diablo 3 has single player mode. You can play the whole game single player like you could the previous 2 games.  :dunno Yes, they expanded the multiplayer and crippled the single player with the always online DRM. You can't even pause in single player mode anymore.  From what I heard though, its single player mode is cool with NPC characters that will campaign with you, which is what D2 needed. Actually gives purpose to the paladin's skills in single player.

Unless I am campaigning with friends, I actually always preferred single player mode. I could play much more casually, I never felt obligated to play more than an hour at a time and these days I have to pause video games on a very regular basis. I am a little sad that since my gaming is spread out more, I might be "too old" for Diablo III.  :(  The crippling of single player with the DRM probably gonna keep me from buying this game. and mostly because I won't be able to pause. Its kinda sad because I love the Diablo games so much.

I'd still challenge you that it's not true single player.  It's inability to be played offline anymore transitions it to an MMO IMO.

kalars123

• Offline Offline
« Reply #76 on: May 03, 2012, 07:07:43 pm »
D3 has no true single player mode, it's all online you use 1 char for both going alone and with friends, when you play a single player game it's a "closed invite only" online game not single player, there is no option for single player.

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #77 on: May 03, 2012, 09:15:08 pm »
D3 has no true single player mode, it's all online you use 1 char for both going alone and with friends, when you play a single player game it's a "closed invite only" online game not single player, there is no option for single player.

so if I play the game from beginning to end by myself its not a single player experience?

kalars123

• Offline Offline
« Reply #78 on: May 03, 2012, 09:26:53 pm »
you can play the game start to finish by yourself but it is still a multiplayer game as you friends can drop in and drop out at any time. The always on "drm" is not drm this is an online game period just like WoW or EQ or LOTRO or SWTOR...ect you can play those games by yourself but it is not a single player game is it? It's an online game no room for argument Blizzard has never advertised it as anything but an online game if you don't like that then don't buy the game and quit complaining.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 09:28:47 pm by kalars123 »

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #79 on: May 04, 2012, 06:45:14 am »
you can play the game start to finish by yourself but it is still a multiplayer game as you friends can drop in and drop out at any time. The always on "drm" is not drm this is an online game period just like WoW or EQ or LOTRO or SWTOR...ect you can play those games by yourself but it is not a single player game is it? It's an online game no room for argument Blizzard has never advertised it as anything but an online game if you don't like that then don't buy the game and quit complaining.

Your inability to read and comprehend is mesmerizing. Sorry though, Im not in the mood for your delicious troll bait :*