Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: 1-player Fighter sticks - PS3/PC/NES/SNES/Gamecube/wii + built in MAME  (Read 12300 times)

Uncle Monkey

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 12, 2020, 10:16:25 pm
  • P24L
    • Project Thread
Hello all, I am about to undertake my first not-from-a-kit project, 2, 1-player fighter stick CPs for the PS3 PS3/PC/NES/SNES/Gamecube/wii. I have decided on SANWA JLF joysticks, and SANWA buttons using the MC Cthulhu PCB. So.....question number one, "How big should the top be?" Consider that it will be used by children and grownups alike..... Ok, design is pretty much finalized (sketchups are below) and it will be as such: both CPs will work off of the MC Cthulhu's USB connection on the PS3 and PC (Ultra Arcade baby!!!), one of them will also contain a Raspberry Pi mini-computer with MAME, which means it will be a portable arcade, the other will have connections for NES, SNES, and gamecube soldered to the MC Cthulhu, which will give it functionality on the NES, SNES, Gamecube and wii. I will keep a running log of progress and cost in this initial post.....

Required Item(s)                                Cost                Vendor
2 MC Cthulhu PCBs                           $76.15            Focus Attack
2 SANWA JLF joysticks (White)
2 SANWA JLF Octagonal Restrictors
22 SANWA screw-in buttons               $110.42       Arcade Pare Parts

50 Blue Female Disconnects                $8.85          Groovy Game Gear
4 10' USB A-B Cables                        $11.02               Amazon
1 4-port USB Squid           (estimated) $12                Think Geek
1 3.5mm Feed Through (Headphone Jack)
1 HDMI Feed Through
1 RCA Video Feed Through
1 RJ-45 Feed Through
3 USB Feed Throughs
3 DB-9 Feed Throughs
6 DB-9 Connectors
3 DB-9 Hoods
100' 24 AWG Blu Wire         (estimated) $99               Markertek

2 White Dust Washers        
6 SANWA screw-in buttons                  $30.47        Gremlin Solutions

1 Raspberry Pi MDL B (ROUGH estimate) $50
Wood, stain, misc nuts/bolts/screws     ? ? ?
Artwork overlays               (estimated) $50             Game On Grafix
Plexiglass                                          $26.24        eStreet Plastics
White 3/4" T-Molding         (estimated) $10              GameMolding
1 NES Controller                                $3.95
1 SNES Controller Extension Cable        $6.95
1 Gamecube Controller Extension Cable  $5.95            eStarLand

Total (not including wood etc....)           $497
Holy crap, it's adding up quick.....:dizzy:

Items to do:
Design boxes
Design artwork
Decide on components
Purchase PCBs
Purchase Joysticks/buttons
Purchase USB cables

Purchase Connectors
Purchase Raspberry Pi (Out of stock)
Purchase Dust Washers and additional buttons
Purchase Overlays
Purchase T-molding
Build cardboard mockup (In progress)
Build rough box to test all measurements/troubleshoot issues
Build final boxes
FUN!!!!
« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 02:31:56 pm by Uncle Monkey »

Green Giant

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 29, 2016, 06:50:57 pm
Re: First "From Scratch" project - Matched 1-player CPs
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2012, 03:53:05 pm »
I would probably go 30"ish if I was making one.  This gonna be like on a coffee table or something?  You will want it heavy enough to take a beating.  Since you don't have to fit it to any cabinet, go for comfort instead of trying to pack people in.
"He lives down there in his valley,
The cat stands tall and green,
Well, he ain't no prize, and there's no women his size,
And that's why the cat's so mean"
Toxic Arcade, my first build

kingchimp

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 17, 2023, 08:59:20 am
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2012, 06:56:58 am »
SRK has a bunch of art templates linked for download here.

If you have access to Photoshop it might give you an idea about what a lot of the commercial sticks are doing size/layout wise for their top panels.

Obviously you don't have to follow any of it outright but it might be a nice point of reference.

I have a Madcatz TE and it's a really nice size to fit on an adult lap/table for the smaller peeps.  The top panel of that is around 32-33cm wide by 19-20cm high

Uncle Monkey

• Offline Offline
  • P24L
    • Project Thread
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2012, 06:58:43 am »
SRK has a bunch of art templates linked for download here.

If you have access to Photoshop it might give you an idea about what a lot of the commercial sticks are doing size/layout wise for their top panels.

Obviously you don't have to follow any of it outright but it might be a nice point of reference.

I have a Madcatz TE and it's a really nice size to fit on an adult lap/table for the smaller peeps.  The top panel of that is around 32-33cm wide by 19-20cm high

Yeah, I'm kinda thinking 12"x8"

kingchimp

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2012, 07:02:51 am »
Sounds good.  I look forward to seeing how you get on!  :)

Uncle Monkey

• Offline Offline
  • P24L
    • Project Thread
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2012, 01:34:38 pm »
Parts are ordered (B-day present from the wife  :applaud:) from Arcade Spare Parts (excellent prices) and sketchup planning has begun. More to follow.....

Your order (Invoice IAS#23182) has been shipped today with the following details:

Courier: Hong Kong Post - Airmail Service (Regular)
Tracking Number: NIL
Goods cannot be tracked online with this courier.

Dammit!!!! I need to know!!!!!! :angry: :soapbox: :banghead:
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 10:57:30 am by Uncle Monkey »

Uncle Monkey

• Offline Offline
  • P24L
    • Project Thread
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2012, 08:50:14 am »
Here are the sketchups.....thoughts?

kingchimp

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2012, 10:12:03 am »
First off I'd say you're off to a great start.

However the buttons do cover up a lot of your art. (The left one is worse for this than the right imo.)
Have you considered transparent buttons with the art in the plungers?

Have you given any consideration to how you're going to fasten the top/bottom panels to the box itself?
You could probably get away with glueing the top on, but I imagine you want the bottom to be removable for maintenance.
A lot of custom stick builders tend to put blocks/batons in the corners which would give you something to screw the bottom cover to.
Looking at your sketchup you don't seem to have a lot of room to spare in a couple of those corners, although that could be an optical illusion from the angle.

edit:

Also, I assume these are to go with your cab. (Which is shaping up to be amazing  ;D )

Have you thought about making one of the boxes green and the other blue to fit in with the theme a little more? (Not necessarily art/button wise but the structure underneath.)
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 10:16:06 am by kingchimp »

Uncle Monkey

• Offline Offline
  • P24L
    • Project Thread
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2012, 01:37:23 pm »
First off I'd say you're off to a great start.

However the buttons do cover up a lot of your art. (The left one is worse for this than the right imo.)
Have you considered transparent buttons with the art in the plungers?
Well, I'll actually be using Sanwa buttons and joysticks for maximum butt-kicking, and the selection is not that good. However, I think ol Earthworm Jim is the only one getting the bad coverup, so I'll probably move the start and select buttons apart a little and let him peek on through..... :cheers:

Have you given any consideration to how you're going to fasten the top/bottom panels to the box itself?
You could probably get away with glueing the top on, but I imagine you want the bottom to be removable for maintenance.
A lot of custom stick builders tend to put blocks/batons in the corners which would give you something to screw the bottom cover to.
Looking at your sketchup you don't seem to have a lot of room to spare in a couple of those corners, although that could be an optical illusion from the angle.
I'm leaning towards the top hinging on the back edge so that it flips up. That way the PCB can be mounted to the bottom and if I ever get a Raspberry pi, I can mount it down there too.....This part is still in the brainstorming phase.....

Also, I assume these are to go with your cab. (Which is shaping up to be amazing  ;D )

Have you thought about making one of the boxes green and the other blue to fit in with the theme a little more? (Not necessarily art/button wise but the structure underneath.)
Yes they will be used as additional controllers for the cab. I played with a LOT of different looks, but decided I want to use walnut wood, and have a beautiful wood finish to these two while still tying in and matching the cab.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 01:40:30 pm by Uncle Monkey »

kingchimp

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2012, 11:11:31 am »
Well, I'll actually be using Sanwa buttons and joysticks for maximum butt-kicking, and the selection is not that good. However, I think ol Earthworm Jim is the only one getting the bad coverup, so I'll probably move the start and select buttons apart a little and let him peek on through..... :cheers:

If you're talking about screw in buttons, then you're absolutely correct.  If you're planning on using snap ins Sanwa now do OSBC-30 clear buttons in half a dozen colours.

http://gremlinsolutions.co.uk/products/sanwa-obsc-30-c.htm (I'n in the UK, so that's just a convenient link for me.)

Modifying the art/button placements slightly should also do the trick though. :)

A nice would finish does look really sweet on a joystick.  Good choice.  :)

Uncle Monkey

• Offline Offline
  • P24L
    • Project Thread
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2012, 12:07:05 pm »

If you're talking about screw in buttons, then you're absolutely correct.  If you're planning on using snap ins Sanwa now do OSBC-30 clear buttons in half a dozen colours.

http://gremlinsolutions.co.uk/products/sanwa-obsc-30-c.htm (I'n in the UK, so that's just a convenient link for me.)

Modifying the art/button placements slightly should also do the trick though. :)

A nice would finish does look really sweet on a joystick.  Good choice.  :)

Yup screw-in buttons, and they're already bought and on the way.  :applaud:

Uncle Monkey

• Offline Offline
  • P24L
    • Project Thread
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2012, 08:45:15 pm »
New sketchups showing my plan for one of the sticks which will include a Raspberry Pi all MAMEd out. (Whenever they make enough for me to get one.....)

Here's the top view. The grey boxs/black wires are a four-port usb squid, the red wire is how the MC Cthulhu will connect to the Pi, the blue shows where it will connect to a USB feedthrough for PS3/PC use. The orange is for HDMI out, the yellow is for 5-volt power, the green is RCA video out and the pink is audio out.

Here's the sideview. This shows the clearance inside. The brown boxes will be inside the wood of the box and the plexi will be secured by the screw-in feet on the bottom.....

The other stick really needs no planning since it will just be the MC Cthulhu with attachments for NES, SNES, and Gamecube use.....

BobA

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 11, 2018, 09:52:14 pm
  • What Me Worry?
Re: 1-player Fighter sticks - PS3/PC/NES/SNES/Gamecube/wii + built in MAME
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2012, 11:22:17 pm »
A hundred foot spool of hookup wire should cost about 9 dollars not 99 dollars

Uncle Monkey

• Offline Offline
  • P24L
    • Project Thread
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2012, 06:33:52 am »
A hundred foot spool of hookup wire should cost about 9 dollars not 99 dollars

That's for all the connectors listed above also..... :laugh2: I'll clean that up a bit to make it more clear..... :cheers:

Nephasth

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2012, 10:25:28 am »
100' of wire goes a lot quicker than you think too. I buy my 24 gauge wire in 1000' spools for ~$40 shipped and it never seems to last...

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:19:17 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2012, 01:29:20 pm »
100' of wire goes a lot quicker than you think too. I buy my 24 gauge wire in 1000' spools for ~$40 shipped and it never seems to last...

Amen. I was surprised how fast I burned through a 100' spool of stranded red 22 gauge. Thing that blows is that my local Fry's never seems to have the colors I want in stock in stranded. I can get whatever color I want in solid, though.
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

Uncle Monkey

• Offline Offline
  • P24L
    • Project Thread
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2012, 02:00:15 pm »

Amen. I was surprised how fast I burned through a 100' spool of stranded red 22 gauge. Thing that blows is that my local Fry's never seems to have the colors I want in stock in stranded. I can get whatever color I want in solid, though.

At least you have a Fry's, that and real Mexican food are the things I miss about Phoenix the most. :cry:

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 04, 2015, 10:19:10 pm
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2012, 03:07:44 pm »
there is no Mame for raspberry pi yet. Most sites that have announced anything of the like have zero idea of what they are talking about. The mame announcement that is floating around the net is Xmame running on top of a generic arm virtual box image. It has zero dependencies on certain libs that the pi has and/or will need.

Uncle Monkey

• Offline Offline
  • P24L
    • Project Thread
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2012, 09:05:58 pm »
there is no Mame for raspberry pi yet. Most sites that have announced anything of the like have zero idea of what they are talking about. The mame announcement that is floating around the net is Xmame running on top of a generic arm virtual box image. It has zero dependencies on certain libs that the pi has and/or will need.

I dunno about all that, all I know is that there are Linux emulators, and I have every confidence that the community will find a way. Also, there's this.....

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 04, 2015, 10:19:10 pm
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2012, 08:44:19 am »

I dunno about all that, all I know is that there are Linux emulators, and I have every confidence that the community will find a way. Also, there's this.....

I'm not trying to burst your bubble or ruin your project or anything; I had the same exact idea when the Pi was announced too. I'm just as eager for more pi emulation builds as the next emu freak. I only wanted to mention that there really isn't any current mame dev on the platform.

the link you showed is the same exact generic ARM virtual box image floating around that i mentioned in my post. That is not working on real raspberry pi hardware at the moment. As i mentioned, it's simply someone using virtual box using the arm processor target. I'm sure some clever coder can get a rudimentary build working in a day or so but right now there is no build specifically geared towards the pi nor for the custom fedora pi distribution.

Uncle Monkey

• Offline Offline
  • P24L
    • Project Thread
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2012, 10:40:15 am »

I'm not trying to burst your bubble or ruin your project or anything; I had the same exact idea when the Pi was announced too. I'm just as eager for more pi emulation builds as the next emu freak. I only wanted to mention that there really isn't any current mame dev on the platform.

the link you showed is the same exact generic ARM virtual box image floating around that i mentioned in my post. That is not working on real raspberry pi hardware at the moment. As i mentioned, it's simply someone using virtual box using the arm processor target. I'm sure some clever coder can get a rudimentary build working in a day or so but right now there is no build specifically geared towards the pi nor for the custom fedora pi distribution.

:cheers: It's all good, because....

1. Who knows when I'll get my Pi :banghead:
2. It'll be fun to play with even without retro goodness while I wait for geniuses to make awesome happen  :notworthy:
3. There's always the Ultra Arcade, Gaming PC, PS3 and wii to entertain me, not to mention my family and such..... :laugh2:

My main goal is to plan for the eventual awesomeness that is sure to come..... :applaud: I'd sure hate to get a Raspberry Pi in my hot little hands and find out that there's no room in the Inn..... :hissy:

rCadeGaming

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 20, 2023, 09:16:09 pm
  • Just call me Rob!
Looking very good.  I think I know where you got some inspiration though  ;)

Any more progress?  Are you away again?

I wanted to point out:

1.  In your mockup sketch, the case looks much smaller than 12" x 8" in relation to the buttons.  Either the proportions are off or you changed the dimensions and I missed something.  You may have more space for artwork than you think.

2.  In your mockup sketch, the stick buttons are centered top to bottom on the control panel.  It's better to skew them toward the top.  You don't need space above them, but it's very important to have space beneath to rest your palms.

3.  There is a jumper on the MC Cthulhu to use start + select for PS3's Home button.  Wasn't sure if you're using that, or if you need to add a Home button somewhere.

4.  It would really be a shame for only one of these to work on NES/SNES/Gamecube/Wii, why exclude multiplayer on these systems?  There's no reason they both can't be wired for this, regardless of one having the computer inside.

5.  You're going to need a switch to select whether the MC Cthulhu is connected to the computer inside or to an external computer/console.  You can't have it wired to both at the same time, even if you exclude the Nintendo consoles.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2012, 07:58:26 pm by rCadeGaming »