Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: 16x9 Cocktail Table Project (Now With Video!!!)  (Read 76055 times)

jkdubb

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 17, 2024, 11:28:50 am
16x9 Cocktail Table Project (Now With Video!!!)
« on: March 11, 2012, 11:08:57 am »
I started playing with mame and hyperspin last winter and decided after weeks of work that I needed a cabinet to go with my creation.  The question was what to build.  My then fiancee, now wife was set on building an upright, standard, button filled Mame cab.  I however was always a fan of the pizza store cocktail cab.  I love the way the games flip, the head to head competition is the best, and you can put your beer on it while playing :).  I also really wanted to be able to play the tons of fighting games that make a 4 person cab so much fun.  What then should I do?  Building 2 cabs was an option but as this is my very first build I had to start small.  Here is what I came up with.

Here is the earliest concept.

The idea is a cocktail table that you can rotate the entire top monitor section up on a hinge that allows for multiplayer controller playing of any game in a horizontal aspect.
Pics to help get the idea. :)

These are the most current renders.

I've just started the build and plan on making progress updates here as this looks like a great community to share with. :)  I will post the scale model pics and the materials and first cuts this week.  If you have any questions or suggestions feel free to comment. Thanks. :)

« Last Edit: May 30, 2013, 12:37:42 pm by jkdubb »

popsicle

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 26, 2023, 11:07:15 am
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,104229.msg1102713.html#msg1102713
Re: 16x9 Cocktail Table Project
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2012, 11:49:28 am »
I really like the boxy shape, and I wish I had your drafting skills.  My cocktail gets more play than the upright these days.  Do consider however...

1. your viewing angle - it seems like the players are sitting quite far from the screen.  maybe move the 'galaga' logos to the side and put the joys closer to the monitor?  This will be even more problematic if you go with an lcd screen.

2. there doesn't seem to be anywhere for the players legs/knees to go, and maybe too wide to straddle?

I don't really understand your 4-player rotating monitor and hinge idea from your words and pics.     ???

jkdubb

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2012, 03:54:30 pm »
I lost a lot of sleep over the viewing angle until I bought the tv and then everything was nice.  I plan to use this as a virtual pinball machine just as much as a cocktail table, which is the reason for the length.

The leg/knee problem was also an issue with the design of this table.  I think it will still be playable without too much discomfort but I am probably choosing style over comfort. ;)

As for the 4 player setup.  My idea is to have pneumatic lifts on the top layer of the cabinet that hold the screen up at an angle while players sit across from it with standerd gaming controllers.

It is my first build though so who knows what will happen. :)  I'm having a blast building it so far though. :)

Louis Tully

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 13, 2015, 09:41:03 pm
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2012, 04:18:17 pm »
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 05:30:23 am by Louis Tully »

EightBySix

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 25, 2021, 01:50:16 pm
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2012, 05:06:18 pm »
What an interesting idea! Looking forward to more pics  ;D

jkdubb

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2012, 04:17:12 pm »
I updated the pictures in the original post to be a bit bigger.  I take pics with my phone so you never know what you're going to get when you upload them. :)

The next step was to build a scale model.  I figured this would give me some perspective on how building the real thing would go.  I went out and bought some craft wood (birch?) and a set of razor blades, super glue and a sheet of plexiglass.  

This turned out to not be the correct set of tools for the job.  :banghead: I was hoping to cut the wood like balsa wood using only a razor blade but after about an hour of cutting and sanding I only had 2 pieces cut and my hands were not feeling good.  Time to buy a Dremel! The dremel was cool but the wood was still a bit too hard for the standard dremel disks that came with it so after I burnt through most of them and sent chunks of dremel disk shrapnel through my living room I went back to the store and bought this.

This add on is amazing and cuts thin pieces of wood like butter. :)  I was making progress again.
Here are the 3 layers and the glass top.

I cut the body parts and sanded them even.

All the parts cut and sanded.

And then the super glue..

second half..

building the top..

And here is the result.

Everything worked out pretty well.  I learned a few things while putting it all together that will help in the final build for sure. (like use a saw) :)

I also ordered the controls, t-molding, and tv.  I will update when those come in.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 04:19:12 pm by jkdubb »

leapinlew

• Some questionable things going on in this room with cheetos
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 19, 2024, 06:19:27 pm
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2012, 04:48:21 pm »
Good job. By building that model, you've already built more than half the people on these forums.

05SRT4

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 08:04:24 pm
  • Check out my Pow Pow
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2012, 11:58:27 pm »
Good job. By building that model, you've already built more than half the people on these forums.

:laugh2: TRUE.

l

alfonzotan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 28, 2023, 08:39:45 am
    • The Cab With No Name
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2012, 08:37:00 am »

Dang.   :droid

kahlid74

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 01, 2021, 12:42:56 pm
  • Gaming for a better future!
    • GamersAnon
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2012, 09:46:52 am »
I like the design, looks sleak and pretty.  Can't wait to see the real build.

jkdubb

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2012, 04:34:41 pm »
My buttons came in from ultimarc.com.  I however got the wrong ones.  :angry:  I had ordered the clear white led buttons but received the white concave buttons.  I did get the correct control stick and 1 and 2 player buttons so that was good.  I sent an email to ultimarc and told them they sent the wrong buttons and within minutes they responded with a cool deal.  Keep the ones we sent, the ones you should have gotten will be sent out today.   :applaud: This is great customer service and I will continue to buy from them from now on because of this.

White concave buttons

I think we know where this is going. (This wire job screams professional  :laugh2:)

And BAM!!! Control panel.

I'm not sure if I even need to finish the build now.  I am set with my cardboard box controller.

Only problem I have now is that I think I like these buttons better than the ones I tried to order in the first place.  They feel great and look slick.  I'm starting to get some color ideas for the final cab as well.  I may be looking at a solid black cab with white accents.  Only time will tell.

Bender

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 28, 2016, 08:12:21 pm
    • Happ to Tron Conversion tutorial
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2012, 08:51:46 pm »
The leg/knee problem was also an issue with the design of this table.  I think it will still be playable without too much discomfort but I am probably choosing style over comfort. ;)

You might want to try rigging up temporary structure that simulates your setup and see how comfortable or uncomfortable it will be. You could keep the sides the way they are and just bring in the area under the control panels for leg room.
 :dunno

That's one hell of a smooth design though. That's the kind of cab. you'd put in the middle of the living room.

+1

please rethink the leg room bit before you go to the full size build
maybe a panel that folds in if you must keep the box design ( which I love by the way)

axl1826

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 06, 2014, 06:24:50 pm
  • "We Gotta Find The Technodrome!"
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2012, 10:53:23 pm »
I love it looks great, if it were me, I would take the kick panels under the the CPs and just put a 1 to 2 inch inset in them would still look nice put could give a bit more comfort for playing.

jkdubb

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2012, 11:57:23 am »
Hmmmm... I am looking into the leg issue now.  Glad you guys brought it up. :) I will have to set up something similar using furniture around the house to test.  If all else fails I'll have to add super long legs and just make it a standing table  :laugh2: Has there ever been such a thing?  :)

DNA Dan

• Guys.. we're not talking gold bars here
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 02, 2017, 11:39:00 am
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2012, 12:13:48 pm »
+1

please rethink the leg room bit before you go to the full size build
maybe a panel that folds in if you must keep the box design ( which I love by the way)

Along the same lines, I think the protruding base although nice, is going to be more of a nuissance for your toes. There isn't enough room for your feet on this type of cab as it is, and that overhang at the bottom is sure to just get stepped on and beat to hell. Most designs of this type finish straight down or have a small toe kick. This area gets so beat up by shoes that some even have diamond kickplates down there. Another consideration is to push out the controls a bit. Looking at the mock up it just seems like and uncomfortable seating position with your feet pushed back and having to lean forward so much. Great job on the mock up. This looks like a build I will be following closely.  :applaud:

Edit: I thought of another way you could keep the original design. Make an arched "cave" on the side of hte cab so you can put your feet inside the cab. This could be finished with t-molding and panted black inside. Could even have an angled footrest in there for proper ergo.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 12:17:21 pm by DNA Dan »

jkdubb

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2012, 01:37:20 pm »
Ok, so I went home and found that my ottoman is about the height from the floor to the control inlay that my cab would be.  Here are my thoughts. :)  The current leg position requires you to lean forward causing you to arch your back slightly.  It is not overly uncomfortable, but when I'm trying to get the new high score on Donkey Kong it will definitely start to hurt my back.  I did notice that if there is room at the bottom for my feet to go 4 inches or so, it helps a lot.  I may look into adding larger legs on the cab.  One good thing that comes from having to lean forward is that your angle to the screen improves a bit.  Less parallax is good in the long run. :)

Overall the base of the design should only cost me about $30 in wood.  If a redesign is needed I won't be too disappointed.  I do like a challenge.

Wait till I tell you how I'm planning on attaching the 3/8" glass top to the top without using clamps.  ;D

edekoning

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 10, 2022, 02:21:38 pm
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2012, 07:12:35 am »
Nice job on the small scale model. Even going as far as adding plexi on top  :applaud:

A few days a go I completed a similar scale model for an upright cabinet that I am planning to build. It was great to make, and I also learned some valuable lessons. Now my model sits on my desk and each time I see it I get all itchy and want to start on the real deal asap.

jkdubb

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2012, 10:10:47 am »
Got my LED buttons!!! Super fast!  These things look way cool.

Glowing!

So I measured out my controls.  I know a bunch of you will say to go with the curved layout because of the comfort but I love the way the offset lines look with this design.  And they still feel pretty awesome to me.  I will say that I still prefer the solid white buttons that ultimarc sent me on accident.  These LED ones are a bit clicky and not quite as responsive.  I think in my final build I will use the LED buttons for the 4 side buttons to be used with the virtual pinball.  The glowing light should make the side of the table pop.

I have also put a lot of thought into the glass top.  I have a desk at home that has metal disk/bolts glued to it somehow.  I would love to have a solid glass top with no screw holes or clamps similar to my desk.

Here is a picture of my desk.  (kinda reflective, sorry)

The problem is finding an adhesive that will hold glass to metal that is strong enough to withstand this thing angled up for long periods of time.  The last thing I want is the glass sliding off and breaking or taking someones toes off.  :cry:

After looking everywhere I have found a  substance called nano470.  This stuff looks crazy strong.  I found a video of a guy using it to repair glass and glue a metal bolt to a piece of glass and then bend it.  I'm going to order some and give it a shot.

Here is a video of the stuff being used.  Check it out.  And if you have any other suggestions, I'm open for ideas. :)

BurgerKingDiamond

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 01, 2021, 11:12:14 am
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2012, 05:52:56 pm »
Dude that's a great looking idea. I definitely think you should figure out some real controls for the horizontal stuff though. Who want's to play fighting games on a cocktail cab with a pad?
-Welcome to the Fantasy Zone.

jkdubb

• Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2012, 08:27:32 pm »
Dude that's a great looking idea. I definitely think you should figure out some real controls for the horizontal stuff though. Who want's to play fighting games on a cocktail cab with a pad?

I agree completely with you.  I def. think there needs to be a side controller setup for real arcade controls.  The best thing I can come up with is an attachment that clips/hangs off the side when the top is open.  I may have to sketch up a few ideas and see if any stick.  This will probably be something that I build after the cabinet is done.

jkdubb

• Offline Offline
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2012, 02:10:01 pm »
Huge updates coming.  This may take a few posts. :P  I got busy with the building this weekend.  Well, I'll get right to it.

I live in an apartment so ripping mdf probably wouldn't go over so well with the neighbors so I decided to take over my dad's garage for a couple days.  He had no problem with it and has been bestowing many wood working wisdoms along the way.

Started with creating the bottom, middle, and top.

In order to get super strait cuts using a circular saw we decided to measure out the cut and clamp a level down on the line.  Then I would run the saw down the edge and get a nice cut.

Lots of measuring to find the center.

Here is the top with the center cut out.  That is going to be a nice screen for pinball. :)

Tested it out with the TV and the fit was right on.

I plan on routing the edge on the inside to create a nice smooth edge around the tv.  I also still have to cut out the spots for the controls to be seen through the glass.

Stay tuned for part 2, the controller layout.  (so many pictures to clean up).

I have also received the nano470 and glued a bolt with a large flat head to a piece of scrap glass.  This stuff is crazy strong.  I think it will do the job for sure.  I'll post some shots of the test glue if any one is interested.

Shortbus

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 26, 2023, 03:20:00 pm
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2012, 03:45:59 pm »
Freeaaking Awesome Man! Looking forward to this, and like the other person stated, your model is more than most have done, True statement, for me anyways, lately.....

NICE WORK! Keep the Pics coming......

jkdubb

• Offline Offline
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2012, 04:48:14 pm »
Ok, Here is the rest of the pics from this weekend. :)

Here is the bolt/glue experiment.

Picked up a bunch of parts from the store.

Figuring out how tall this thing is going to be.

Cutting the body parts and the control middle section.

I've decided to countersink the screws and fill the holes with wooden dowel plugs.  After sanding and paint there shouldn't be any sign of the screws.

Here is the base all put together.  I've installed screw on legs.  I may take an inch off of the legs or buy some other smaller ones later.  They screw right into the base for easy removal.  I may even set something up to raise one end for pinball play. (future dream... mechanical leg height)  ;D

Here is the top spaced out.

Put it all together to see how it feels. :)  This is starting to look like an arcade cab.  :P

This is a lot of pics... *deep breath  :dizzy:

Ok here we go again.

Control panel layout.

Screwing it all together.

Took the whole thing upstairs for safe keeping until next weekend.

Set the glass top on to see the awesomeness.

PROGRESS ;)

From the one end.  Remember the top still needs to be cut to show the controls.

And now to answer the leg questions.  Will my legs cause irreparable back pain when playing? ...... Turns out this is a very comfortable build.  I am going to pick up 2 of the seat I am sitting in as it fits perfect.  I tried a few positions and I am definitely keeping this base layout.

You will notice the legs allow your feet to fit under the cab.  Very comfy.

Pinball hand positioning.

And lastly, the straddle.  Not my favorite position to sit in, but it could work for very tall people i guess. :P

Thanks for reading this massive post!!!  ;D

My next step is to cut the top to show the controls and to drill the holes for the controllers and buttons.  I will also curve the corners and maybe cut the slots for the t-molding.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 04:59:41 pm by jkdubb »

Shortbus

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 26, 2023, 03:20:00 pm
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2012, 04:52:12 pm »
Awesome Craftmanship man, nice project (once again)....also "massive posts" with "massive amounts of pics" Is AWESOME, keep em' coming,,,

Such a cool project!

DNA Dan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2012, 12:11:29 am »
Excellent job so far! Damn you've been busy.

Here's a thought... I assume you're going to have some sort of black film on the top to cover the edge of the LCD inset in the wood?  Is this going to cover the entire top cutout, or just around the monitor? Reason I ask is that space on the sides of the control panel are just begging for some RGB lights. You could have a hole in your top with lights shining up. Then whatever you use to mask over the wood, you could cut out a logo, design, sign cards, etc. and have them illuminated right there in the bezel. Another possibily is to have something hit sideways to backlight the controls a bit.  This could be as simple as small holes with LEDs in them. Just some ideas.

Have you thought of a theme or name yet?  Sarcophocade?  Coffincade? Just what are we getting here?

Oh and you're idea of bumping up one end, totally doable. Think craftmatic adjustable bed. Roller wheels on square stock pushed down with a single hydraulic pump. This would fit under the cab and not even have to be inside it.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 12:15:27 am by DNA Dan »

jkdubb

• Offline Offline
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2012, 10:40:52 am »
Have you thought of a theme or name yet?  Sarcophocade?  Coffincade? Just what are we getting here?

:D These are all great!  How about... "The Ark of the Cabinet". :P

I will have to search my soul and this forum for a good name for sure. :)

The LED back-lighting for the controls is def. an option.  I have not looked into it too much but I like the idea.

DNA Dan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2012, 05:27:17 pm »
:D These are all great!  How about... "The Ark of the Cabinet". :P

Brilliant! You have to do that one. Use some Indiana Jones theme with the "coming at you" font in orange. That would be killer. If you had poles on the sides you could make the long part of the poles be a seat you actually sit on for the cab! I just have to see that dude melting in your bezel backlit.

SteveR

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 14, 2023, 05:17:50 pm
« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2012, 06:01:37 pm »
How about "Arkade of the covenant" or maybe just arkade?

jkdubb

• Offline Offline
« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2012, 06:19:43 pm »
Haha! Going full blown Indiana Jones might be a little much for this build. :P

I do like the sound of "Arkade".

Great Ideas! :D

Hewskie

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 27, 2018, 02:45:42 am
« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2012, 06:24:49 pm »
You must have missed this one  :P

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=76255.0

Looking good though, keep it up!

jkdubb

• Offline Offline
« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2012, 06:45:09 pm »
Wow! I hadn't seen that cab. Looks like it is still being built. I definitely don't want to make something that has already been done. :P

Pretty good idea though. :)

DNA Dan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2012, 08:42:21 pm »
Dang that other build goes back to 2008. I just could not imagine working on something that long without finishing it. It's a shame because the build was looking really nice.

Well the ark theme is out, I guess you'll just have to use Ossucade. (No offense to the Jews in the room.)  ;)

SteveR

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 14, 2023, 05:17:50 pm
« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2012, 09:17:04 pm »
Well since it's fairly boxy it reminds me of a luggage trunk. You could give it an antique look with some destination stickers randomly slapped on the side. Maybe the stickers could have arcade/game references. Or maybe just go for the antique table look.

jkdubb

• Offline Offline
« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2012, 02:26:36 pm »
Ok.  This picking a theme/color is crazy hard to do.  :banghead:

From the beginning I have been thinking black with white buttons, t-mold, lighting...  Something very slick that will pop and look like an arcade cabinet.  I'm definitely not trying to hide this thing when it is done. :P

I made this image to get a feel for the end result.  I do think that if I came across/designed some side art for it on the bottom section it would be that much cooler.  If you have any design ideas, I'd love to hear/see them.  I'm going to mock up some things throughout the day and see if any of them stick. :)

Turvey

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 08:50:15 am
« Reply #34 on: March 20, 2012, 07:29:22 pm »
Reminds me of a coffin.................................Coffincade?  :D :D :D

jkdubb

• Offline Offline
« Reply #35 on: March 23, 2012, 10:27:49 am »
I managed to get a little more done last night.  I cut out the top controller panel section and rounded the corners on all of the layers.  I didn't take any pictures of the process cause I was rushing and the MDF dust mixed with the pollen count today was horrible.  (Always wear a mask) :)

I marked off the cuts and used a compass for the inner curves.  I then cut everything with a jig saw and sanded and sanded and sanded. :P

Here it is put back together.

Another shot.

I can't wait to put in the controllers.  That will be the next thing I do.

You don't know how bad I want to take that plastic off of the glass. Better safe than sorry though.

Next steps are to install the sticks and buttons, mount the TV, screw the body together, add the hinges, rout for T-mold, paint, install T-mold, wire it up... Wonder if I am missing anything? :P

jkdubb

• Offline Offline
Re: 16x9 Cocktail Table Project *The TV is installed!*
« Reply #36 on: March 28, 2012, 11:25:49 am »
Mounted the TV today!!! What a tough bit of engineering.  With my father's help and about an hour or so in Lowes we managed a simple solution.

We used these heavy brackets with a thin layer of dense foam padding usually used for keeping furniture from sliding on hardwood.  The padding was awesome because it had peel off adhesive right on it. :)

Sometimes things just fit perfectly and this was one of those times.  The brackets were snug to the tv like they were made for it. :)

I plan on painting them all black with the cabinet so they should look pretty good when it is all said and done.  The little white tab is one of 3 keeping the tv from sliding around.

I had to plug it in all put together to see what it looked like.   ;D

I even broke down and took the plastic wrap off of the glass. :P It was bound to happen eventually.

Here is the local inspector coming to make sure everything is within regulation.

Next up.  Routing the bezel and installing the controls.

emphatic

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 09:41:25 am
  • -"Suck it, Donny!" -"No, YOU suck it.... more".
    • Emphatic's Video Game Collection
« Reply #37 on: March 28, 2012, 12:30:07 pm »
 :applaud:

Very nice work so far!

NiN^_^NiN

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 01, 2020, 10:28:26 pm
  • Oh yeah Baby. I put on my robe and wizard hat
« Reply #38 on: March 29, 2012, 08:45:05 pm »
Fantastic job i'm loving it as well.
I can't wait to see what some of the Vertical games look like on that thing.

05SRT4

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 08:04:24 pm
  • Check out my Pow Pow
« Reply #39 on: March 30, 2012, 12:57:24 am »
I like the Mounts. Simple and effective.