Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: VERTICAL/HORIZONTAL ORIENTATION ISSUE  (Read 1050 times)

MameMaster!

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 02, 2020, 11:01:15 pm
  • Engage number one!
    • Mame Invaders!
VERTICAL/HORIZONTAL ORIENTATION ISSUE
« on: September 25, 2003, 12:11:59 pm »
 ???

Greet all.

This is a wierd one that I simply cannot explain....by the way, for all of the below, I'm using Mame32 w/XP.

I have mame running on an EMachine with a Horizontal Gateway monitor....all games work great in that my Vertical games play reduced and centered with a black band on the left/right (as its supposed to).

I also have a Gateway computer with a horizontal EMachines monitor (I used my bigger monitor for my Mame cab above); and the orientation works perfectly here as well.

....wwwweeeellllll....here' the rub.

I copied the exact same files (from my mame cab) to a new Compaq Presario using a Sony Trinitron monitor for use on my new Cocktail that I'm building and I'm finding that QBert and Centipeid in particular are  playing incorrectly when rotated. They run, but they are severely "squished" and elongated, but play in the proper orientation (vertical).

All other Vertial games seem to run perfectly (I use the "auto clockwise function). Thankfully this doesn't seem to be a problem with any other "classic game" (thank the gaming gods).

....any thoughts ? Suggestions?

I've tried doing a fresh reload of all files (directly from computer to computer) and this is the only computer that's having this problem.

Could it be the processor? The Emachine has a 2.0 Athlon chip, the Gateway uses a Pent. 4 BUT, my new Presario uses a 1.3 Celeron.

????

:(

Suggestions?
The MameMaster!
Seriously. Will it fit in my basement or what?

SirPoonga

• Puck'em Up
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2023, 09:22:35 pm
  • The Bears Still Suck!
Re:VERTICAL/HORIZONTAL ORIENTATION ISSUE
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2003, 04:49:46 pm »
It might be the video card and/or monitor. If it can't support a resolution like the old setup it might handle it differently.

MameMaster!

• Offline Offline
  • Engage number one!
    • Mame Invaders!
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2003, 05:11:17 pm »
It might be the video card and/or monitor. If it can't support a resolution like the old setup it might handle it differently.

I though the same thing regarding the video card...I don't think it's the monitor.

I guess I'll have live with it.

Thanks for the suggestion!
Mitch

Lilwolf

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 31, 2022, 10:26:34 pm
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2003, 05:56:12 pm »
try using hwstretching and not allowing mame to change resolutions (in mame.ini).

It will fix that problem if it is really the problem.

paigeoliver

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 29, 2022, 06:10:15 pm
  • Awesome face!
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2003, 09:05:56 pm »
Have you tried ADJUSTING your monitor once the game loads up? Chances are that those titles are just running at a resolution/refresh rate that you never adjusted your monitor at.
Acceptance of Zen philosophy is marred slightly by the nagging thought that if all things are interconnected, then all things must be in some way involved with Pauly Shore.

MameMaster!

• Offline Offline
  • Engage number one!
    • Mame Invaders!
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2003, 09:33:01 am »
Have you tried ADJUSTING your monitor once the game loads up? Chances are that those titles are just running at a resolution/refresh rate that you never adjusted your monitor at.

interesting question...and here's what I did. I attached the Compaq to more than one monitor with the same results (messed up). So I don't think it's the monitor.

I think it may be the video card in the Compaq (I don't know what it uses). It's so odd in that it literally is the exact same file (ROM, Mame32 etc) that I loaded from my mame cab that works perfectly.

The only conclusion I can come to is that it's incompatible with the video card for some odd reason.

I've messed w/the confg. setting in Mame32 (admittedly I have tried all of the combinations yet)....to no avail.

This only seems to effect these two games.....wierd.

The No So MameMaster!  ???