Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Build an OND designed cab 'Metropolis'  (Read 329265 times)

vaderag

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 16, 2023, 05:11:02 am
  • Building my own cab :)
Re: Build an OND designed cab 'Metropolis'
« Reply #640 on: February 28, 2019, 05:09:10 am »
I stuck pinball buttons on the sides, they work great :)

Sent from my F1 using Tapatalk

ZTylerDurden717

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 07, 2024, 12:52:28 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #641 on: March 26, 2019, 11:36:51 am »
Hey vaderag,

Hope you've been well past couple of weeks!  I've had some burning questions ever since I began creating the art templates for the cab.  Whenever you get a moment I'd appreciate your advice regarding what you did with your CP.

1) Because the vinyl would cover the majority of the CP, did you not paint it black?  I ask simply because there's another thread where I see your cab black while the CP wasn't.
2) To make the vinyl application process easier, did you not screw in the CP side pieces until you applied the vinyl on the main CP to make it easier to wrap around the side edges without the side pieces getting in the way?  Was there anything unique about how/when you decided to screw in the side pieces within the steps of building?
3) The main CP vinyl was one flowing piece, correct?
4) The vinyl flows underneath into the bottom of the CP.  Did you extend the bottom vinyl length so it was tucked inside the main cab (so that it wouldn't peel or someone could grip it from beneath the CP?)

Thanks so much as always!!

« Last Edit: March 26, 2019, 11:39:34 am by ZTylerDurden717 »

vaderag

• Offline Offline
« Reply #642 on: March 26, 2019, 01:31:24 pm »
Hey Tyler,

1) Because the vinyl would cover the majority of the CP, did you not paint it black?  I ask simply because there's another thread where I see your cab black while the CP wasn't.
- I painted the whole lot in undercoat and only the edges in black of where the CP was sitting

2) To make the vinyl application process easier, did you not screw in the CP side pieces until you applied the vinyl on the main CP to make it easier to wrap around the side edges without the side pieces getting in the way?  Was there anything unique about how/when you decided to screw in the side pieces within the steps of building?
My Side Panels of the CP arent screwed - they're held on with a frame and tension clips like this but bigger -
Vinyl was applied prior to them being clipped on

3) The main CP vinyl was one flowing piece, correct?
Yes. It's not actually the whole thing thats covered, only about 3/4 but yes, one piece

4) The vinyl flows underneath into the bottom of the CP.  Did you extend the bottom vinyl length so it was tucked inside the main cab (so that it wouldn't peel or someone could grip it from beneath the CP?)
It does go underneath. I've stapled it for extra hold, but dont think it needs it :)

ZTylerDurden717

• Offline Offline
« Reply #643 on: March 26, 2019, 03:46:05 pm »
Thank you!!

I still haven't figured out how you got the clips mounted but this could be due to having a late lunch and my brain ceasing to function  :).  So the clips are accessible from the outside and located on the underside?

What was your reasoning to use clips instead of screwing the side pieces permanently to the batons?  Was it because of the pinball flipper buttons?  All my buttons would be on the main top board so I'm wondering if there's some obvious red flag to screw in the CP sides that I haven't thought of.

vaderag

• Offline Offline
« Reply #644 on: March 26, 2019, 04:00:29 pm »
Ha, nope. The clips are inside, accessed from the underside of the cp

The main reason was in fact for vinyl.
access, yes as well, for the pinball buttons s but also just for general wiring

But the vinyl most important - if I screwed it then it would mean I had to do that before applying vinyl, so that I could cover the screwheads and make flush which would have meant no overlap, potential to mess up the application

I'm sure there was another reason too, but escaping me right now!

ZTylerDurden717

• Offline Offline
« Reply #645 on: April 26, 2019, 11:35:29 am »
vaderag!

Happy Friday my friend.  I hope you're well.

Here's another quick question for you when you get a moment.

By design, the Top CP Panel is a few cm's longer than the Bottom CP Panel and causes this per the red arrow:

I studied your specs in metric to confirm you also made these cuts.  For me it causes a small gap between cab and cp because it pushes against the cab (makes contact with the cab before the CP back piece does) preventing the back piece and cab back plate to connect flush together for bolting. 

It's nothing major but was curious if you figured out what that was for. 

Ond--feel free to opine.

Thanks guys as always.

vaderag

• Offline Offline
« Reply #646 on: April 26, 2019, 02:54:40 pm »
Hey mate, happy to (try) help!

I'm not 100% sure

I don't remember having an overlap like that (and I definitely don't have it now)

I'd need to check, which I cant easily, but I think you've got the wood sandwiched and it should be 'tetrissed' like two L shapes

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 14, 2024, 05:47:24 pm
« Reply #647 on: April 26, 2019, 04:27:39 pm »
I started at the beginning to find the drawings and the control panel appears to be on page 4 of the thread and the vertical pieces are shown as sandwiched not 2 L shapes and there is no overhang shown in the photo.

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
« Reply #648 on: April 26, 2019, 04:32:05 pm »
I would double-check your measurements.  The CP Top panel looks like it's supposed to be 1/8" longer than the bottom panel which is probably due to the angle but yours sure looks like its a lot more than 1/8" longer than the bottom.

ZTylerDurden717

• Offline Offline
« Reply #649 on: April 26, 2019, 05:05:26 pm »
Thanks both of you!

Gilrock looks like you found the file, but I'll post it to confirm that the top is supposed to be 1/8th larger than the bottom:

I just measured it and I'm at about 1/8th.  If I'm off it's about a 64th and definitely not more than a 32nd.

it's supposed to be 1/8" longer than the bottom panel which is probably due to the angle

Which angle?  Do you mean it's supposed to cover some of the angle on the beginning of the incline of the bezel as per this location, because I can see why that would make sense:

vaderag

• Offline Offline
« Reply #650 on: April 26, 2019, 05:14:45 pm »
 By angle think he means the cp angle due to back being higher than front. The dimensions for that worked for me and just checking I'm sandwiched, so think maybe you've got it a bit large?

ZTylerDurden717

• Offline Offline
« Reply #651 on: April 26, 2019, 05:35:12 pm »
Oh, yeah.  That's probably what he meant.

Here's a closeup measuring that extra 1/8th in the back when I get a flush enclosure in the front:

When one panel is longer than the other by 1/8th, you'll get a 1/8th difference when sandwiching...
« Last Edit: April 26, 2019, 05:41:37 pm by ZTylerDurden717 »

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
« Reply #652 on: April 26, 2019, 05:47:16 pm »
When one panel is longer than the other by 1/8th, you'll get a 1/8th difference when sandwiching...

That would be true if the top and bottom were parallel but they are not.  The top panel is sloped and that is the reason it's supposed to be 1/8" longer than the bottom.  You need to measure the actual full width of the top and bottom to compare not measure that overhang.

ZTylerDurden717

• Offline Offline
« Reply #653 on: April 26, 2019, 07:29:40 pm »
Gilrock,

Measuring the full widths of top and bottom

Top: 10 5/32:

Bottom: 10 1/32:

This is what you meant, correct?  Thanks so much.

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 07:31:21 pm
« Reply #654 on: April 26, 2019, 09:47:17 pm »
I want this thread to stay alive too. My current status:
  • Cab completely built and working. Been gaming on it for months now and it's pretty awesome. Vertical LCD and CPO has RGB everything.
  • Custom artwork by Opt2Not is complete (AMAZING) and has been delivered though I have yet to send it to the printer. Working with this guy was such a pleasure. So prossional, skilled, creative.
  • User Mike Boss is building a custom MaLa layout for me and he's incorporated some of the custom art from Opt2Not. I've seen a preview and she's a beaut!
  • T-mold is here and ready for install after the artwork application.
Otherwise it's ready to go. Hope to have the finish product pics posted soon.

Thanks again to OND for the inspiration to jump in and learn this stuff. I'm already thinking about another cab with a horizontal CRT w/ custom Metal Slug theme, assuming that Opt2Not will work with me again. And thanks to everyone else that has contributed to this thread and to the forum in general. I certainly couldn't have done it with you'se guys.

I really wish Gern posted his end result.

The artwork turned out really great, and would have loved to see it applied to his cabinet.

But he hasn't logged in since 2016...

Ond

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 18, 2024, 11:41:19 pm
« Reply #655 on: April 26, 2019, 10:49:13 pm »
I want this thread to stay alive too. My current status:
  • Cab completely built and working. Been gaming on it for months now and it's pretty awesome. Vertical LCD and CPO has RGB everything.
  • Custom artwork by Opt2Not is complete (AMAZING) and has been delivered though I have yet to send it to the printer. Working with this guy was such a pleasure. So prossional, skilled, creative.
  • User Mike Boss is building a custom MaLa layout for me and he's incorporated some of the custom art from Opt2Not. I've seen a preview and she's a beaut!
  • T-mold is here and ready for install after the artwork application.
Otherwise it's ready to go. Hope to have the finish product pics posted soon.

Thanks again to OND for the inspiration to jump in and learn this stuff. I'm already thinking about another cab with a horizontal CRT w/ custom Metal Slug theme, assuming that Opt2Not will work with me again. And thanks to everyone else that has contributed to this thread and to the forum in general. I certainly couldn't have done it with you'se guys.

I really wish Gern posted his end result.

The artwork turned out really great, and would have loved to see it applied to his cabinet.

But he hasn't logged in since 2016...

Seriously nice work here.  Would have loved too see it on the cab as well.

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
« Reply #656 on: April 27, 2019, 10:23:30 am »
Gilrock,

Measuring the full widths of top and bottom

Top: 10 5/32:

Bottom: 10 1/32:

This is what you meant, correct?  Thanks so much.

Ok I drew out the side profile in a CAD program and did some math.  With the front 3.15625", back 4", bottom 10.03125", the top works out to be 10.0667" but the plans show 10.15625.  He was most likely rounding to the nearest 1/32" when he posted measurements because you can't cut more accurate than that unless it's CNC.  So the plans have the top about 0.08955" longer...times 32 is ~2.86.  So that's just over a 1/16" longer than it needs to be.  At this point I would just use a hand held belt sander and sand that top board back down flat with the back panel.

ZTylerDurden717

• Offline Offline
« Reply #657 on: April 27, 2019, 01:16:58 pm »

Ok I drew out the side profile in a CAD program and did some math.  With the front 3.15625", back 4", bottom 10.03125", the top works out to be 10.0667" but the plans show 10.15625.  He was most likely rounding to the nearest 1/32" when he posted measurements because you can't cut more accurate than that unless it's CNC.  So the plans have the top about 0.08955" longer...times 32 is ~2.86.  So that's just over a 1/16" longer than it needs to be.  At this point I would just use a hand held belt sander and sand that top board back down flat with the back panel.

You are a legend!  I thought I was taking "crazy" pills and  I owe you for solving this puzzle. 

So the correct "top" width should be 10.0667" which rounded to the nearest metric I should use 10.0625 (1/16th).  Correct?

vaderag

• Offline Offline
« Reply #658 on: April 27, 2019, 01:25:51 pm »

You are a legend!  I thought I was taking "crazy" pills and  I owe you for solving this puzzle. 

So the correct "top" width should be 10.0667" which rounded to the nearest metric I should use 10.0625 (1/16th).  Correct?
This is why sane counties work in mm ;-)

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
« Reply #659 on: April 27, 2019, 02:07:39 pm »
Well now that you got that board lying there can't you just mark a pencil line underneath the lip and use that to cut it?

ZTylerDurden717

• Offline Offline
« Reply #660 on: April 27, 2019, 02:24:41 pm »
Well now that you got that board lying there can't you just mark a pencil line underneath the lip and use that to cut it?

Definitely!

I have a thinner template carbon copy I'm going to trim first at 10.0625 then run a flush trim bit through the main piece. 

Any extra lip thereafter from the main piece I'll assume human error and sand down.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2019, 02:32:07 pm by ZTylerDurden717 »

der_yeti

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 12, 2019, 09:58:31 am
« Reply #661 on: June 11, 2019, 11:26:09 am »
Hi,

I need some help with my control panel. Are there any cnc cad files? It’s hard to find something like gameroomsolutions in Germany. The control panel from their site almost fits. Or does something else fits with the ond cab?

ZTylerDurden717

• Offline Offline
« Reply #662 on: September 24, 2019, 08:02:38 pm »
Hey guys,

I've been taking forever!  Gosh I hope you guys are still around.

Here's a photo of the side!  This cab should be done in the next 2 weeks.

Ond

• Offline Offline
« Reply #663 on: September 24, 2019, 10:33:52 pm »
I absolutely LOVE it!!  Great work Tyler.  :cheers:

vaderag

• Offline Offline
« Reply #664 on: September 25, 2019, 01:56:51 am »
Hey guys,

Nice work, looks awesome!

stigzler

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 11, 2022, 03:01:48 pm
  • It seemed like a good idea at the time....
    • Mago Arcade
« Reply #665 on: September 27, 2019, 05:09:40 pm »
Ond - this is fantastic! Ordered all components this w/e - and making a start next w/e! My first build so desperately hoping made all good decisions. Dont' know if you and/or others can help with a few q's:

:laugh2:

Mine's still not finished. Presently coding  new Front End. Feature creep city...

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 07:31:21 pm
« Reply #666 on: September 27, 2019, 05:20:50 pm »
Thanks buddy!  It was a fun art project for sure. I was working with my concept artist friend of mine on the design for this, and it really turned out great. I hope it eventually makes it onto a cabinet, Gern paid a high price for this artwork, it would be a shame to go to waste.   :cheers:

Hey guys,

I really like the style of artwork here. Simple design, bold shapes and colors. Fantastic.  :applaud:

Ond

• Offline Offline
« Reply #667 on: September 27, 2019, 05:38:22 pm »
Ond - this is fantastic! Ordered all components this w/e - and making a start next w/e! My first build so desperately hoping made all good decisions. Dont' know if you and/or others can help with a few q's:

:laugh2:

Mine's still not finished. Presently coding  new Front End. Feature creep city...

That's alright stigzler,  when it comes to finishing stuff you know I'm the king procrastinator and builder of "the never ending story projects". 

I was thinking about this cab design the other day.  The thought bubble went like this.  "Hey I want to build my Metropolis design....yeah.. and I want to put a CRT in it....YEAHHHHHHH that's a brilliant idea"   ;D

stigzler

• Offline Offline
    • Mago Arcade
« Reply #668 on: September 27, 2019, 05:42:26 pm »
One day it'll be finished.....

Gotta get to florida... (read: Midnight Cowboy)

???

ZTylerDurden717

• Offline Offline
« Reply #669 on: September 29, 2019, 08:14:43 pm »
Thanks buddy!  It was a fun art project for sure. I was working with my concept artist friend of mine on the design for this, and it really turned out great. I hope it eventually makes it onto a cabinet, Gern paid a high price for this artwork, it would be a shame to go to waste.   :cheers:

Hey guys,

I really like the style of artwork here. Simple design, bold shapes and colors. Fantastic.  :applaud:
Hey guys,

You guys have no idea how good your comments make me feel.  Imma give you guys a heads up that the rest of the art has a stark contrast with the side panel art because I had a change of mind of the theme I had in mind.  Nevertheless I think it looks cool anyway.

vaderag

• Offline Offline
« Reply #670 on: September 30, 2019, 02:51:01 am »

Hey guys,

Hey guys,

You guys have no idea how good your comments make me feel.  Imma give you guys a heads up that the rest of the art has a stark contrast with the side panel art because I had a change of mind of the theme I had in mind.  Nevertheless I think it looks cool anyway.
At the end of the day it's whatever makes you happy

Looking at your art I look forward to the day that you can cut led screens to shape so I can vary my artwork on the fly

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

heyyouguys

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 04, 2023, 03:00:09 pm
« Reply #671 on: January 24, 2020, 01:10:19 pm »
Love this Thread! This is what my girlfriend wants for her post cancer reward. So, while my bartop isn't finished, how can I say no to that! Is there plans all put together or just throughout the thread? I just may be totally blind and cannot see the cabinet for the arcade (trees and forest bad dad joke), but i cannot find it anywhere.

Hey Alistair, now is the time to start your very own build, especially as I'm gearing up to add new content to the thread,  speaking of which, the Metric plans are now available for download on Page 1 in PDF.  ARTWORK NEXT!

Ond

It looks like at one time there was a pdf of them. If anyone could share or point me in the right direction, I and my GF would be truly appreciated.

ZTylerDurden717

• Offline Offline
« Reply #672 on: February 18, 2020, 06:25:46 pm »
Love this Thread! This is what my girlfriend wants for her post cancer reward. So, while my bartop isn't finished, how can I say no to that! Is there plans all put together or just throughout the thread? I just may be totally blind and cannot see the cabinet for the arcade (trees and forest bad dad joke), but i cannot find it anywhere.

Hey Alistair, now is the time to start your very own build, especially as I'm gearing up to add new content to the thread,  speaking of which, the Metric plans are now available for download on Page 1 in PDF.  ARTWORK NEXT!

Ond

It looks like at one time there was a pdf of them. If anyone could share or point me in the right direction, I and my GF would be truly appreciated.

Hey there.  Do you still need this?

heyyouguys

• Offline Offline
« Reply #673 on: February 23, 2020, 11:12:58 am »

Ond

Hey there.  Do you still need this?

Yes I do. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

stigzler

• Offline Offline
    • Mago Arcade
« Reply #674 on: February 23, 2020, 11:56:25 am »
Here you go - mine had a few alterations. I wanted the CP within the width of the cab - but you should be able to work from these if you want it as per the original design. I think I also changed the angles on the marquee box too.

heyyouguys

• Offline Offline
« Reply #675 on: March 01, 2020, 01:31:56 pm »
Here you go - mine had a few alterations. I wanted the CP within the width of the cab - but you should be able to work from these if you want it as per the original design. I think I also changed the angles on the marquee box too.

Thank you. Was out of the country for a month and Internet was spotty at best.

Zilka

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 27, 2020, 06:32:26 pm
« Reply #676 on: March 10, 2020, 05:14:07 pm »
Hey guys!

I'm new to this scene and the forum!
So sorry if any questions have been asked a million times now!

OND and everyone thats helped, thank you so much for such a awesome cabinet design.

I know this thread is super old, but I've JUST got into the idea of building one of these beautys.
Hopefully I'm not bringing it back from the dead :O!

So i'm from the UK, and I had the original imperial plans and my dad asked me to find Metric ones if possible. - I grabbed yours just above here Stigzler, so thank you bro!

I also grabbed these plans from another post in the thread - sorry i cant remember who uploaded it,, but thank you! - Are these the like the original OND design or CP altered? (attached)
They're slightly different in measurements?

I will be making this cabinet with my father.. I have 0 knowledge of woodwork or anything lmao.

Is there anything I should know/tell my father before we take the plans and go ahead to cut? haha.

@Stigzler I saw you uploaded a sketchbook file up awhile ago, do you still have that file? I tried to download it but 404!

I've ordered this for the monitor. https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07CQ3MYX3/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
So i'll need to amend the plans I think.

Also I wanted to see if it was possible to build it less.. deep? So it doesn't stand out from the wall as much. Or is that needed?

Sorry again for being a newbie!

Cheers guys!

Zilka

« Last Edit: March 10, 2020, 05:27:33 pm by Zilka »

ZTylerDurden717

• Offline Offline
« Reply #677 on: March 11, 2020, 11:50:52 am »
Hi Zilka,

In terms of what you attached, use what I'm attaching instead.  What you're referencing is my buddy's custom measurements with wider adjustments. 

The attached version is for those who wanted metric based off Ond's original specifications (reply #370).  I used the imperial version that worked fine (again, #370 for those).

I don't believe anyone here has used this metric version, however.  I think it'll work great except for one possible error which are those two large side panels.  If you look up reply #524 the creator of the metric version didn't have enough depth space inside to fit the screen.  Something went wrong with the interpretation of the angles and his panels came out "skinnier".  I think the issue is that the autocad (dwg/dwf) files from reply #370 for the side panels aren't correctly scaled and the angles aren't accurate.

Anyway, if your pops wants to stick to metric this is what I suggest:
1) Use the attached for everything except the side panels
2) For the side panels, use the imperial version PDF in reply #370 and convert it yourself to metric.

If you want to stick with this design, you'll have to accept the depth.  It's actually a pretty nice balance compared to how deep the originals are.

Read Ond's step by step instructions in the first few pages and you can start cutting.  Just a heads up though, people usually design their control panels differently because Ond's version is a bit unique and a lot is left for interpretation.  It's not a big deal because the control panel is a separately bolted box from the bigger cabinet so you can be flexible with what design you choose.

« Last Edit: June 15, 2020, 06:11:20 pm by ZTylerDurden717 »

Zilka

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 27, 2020, 06:32:26 pm
« Reply #678 on: March 11, 2020, 05:37:00 pm »
Heya,

ZTylerDurden717 Thanks so much for your reply and taking the time to attach that metric file.

I will take my time to look at the posts you numbered.

As I said I'm totally new to this scene and still really really newbie.

I chose OND's cab simple because it just looked so nice in style.
My other half asked if I could make the depth quite shallow.. so it doesn't stick out the wall as much.. Do you know/can you suggest any other cabs with a shallow depth at all?

I know my Dad will only give me 1 shot at this simply because 1, its expensive and 2, he is moving away abroad so its a one chance gig. haha.
So I want to make sure I choose the right one! :)

Thanks alot!

Zilka

ZTylerDurden717

• Offline Offline
« Reply #679 on: March 11, 2020, 06:12:56 pm »
Zilka,

You're welcome.

Create a separate thread in the Main section and ask if someone can help point you in the direction of cutting plans with smaller depth.  You won't find the solution in this thread.