Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Build an OND designed cab 'Metropolis'  (Read 329419 times)

Chilifry

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 13, 2016, 07:45:38 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Re: Build an OND designed cab 'Metropolis'
« Reply #560 on: December 13, 2016, 07:08:43 pm »
Recently finished my OND cab.  This is my first build and it took about three months to complete working primarily on weekends when time permitted.  I learned how to use a router on this project so there were more than a few mistakes made throughout the process!

Thanks to OND for sharing his plans and inspiring me to give this a shot.  Another big thanks to edge929 for sharing the details of his build.  This proved to be very helpful given that I based my build on his CP mod.
Nice work mate, looks great!

Thanks vaderag!  By the way, I saw your post about the marquee and thought I would share what I ended up doing.  I had some challenges here too and wasn't sure how I wanted to secure it to the cab.  I wanted easy access to the light behind it so I ended up buying floor tile edging (link provided), cut it to length (top and bottom) and secured them to the cabinet using industrial velcro.  Plexi fits perfectly between the two pieces and the velcro holds the edging in place really well.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Custom-Building-Products-Polished-Chrome-Anodized-5-16-in-x-98-1-2-in-Aluminum-R-Round-Bullnose-Tile-Edging-Trim-H8711BDC98/206449090
Interesting... I'm struggling to picture it tho... Would you mind providing a close up pic? At the moment after spending nearly £30 on aluminium I'm not going to use I'm leaning towards the tape option!!

Sure thing....hope this clarifies what I was talking about

vaderag

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 16, 2023, 05:11:02 am
  • Building my own cab :)
« Reply #561 on: December 14, 2016, 04:01:58 am »
Awesome, thank you!

mcgagheyj

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 28, 2022, 12:43:40 am
« Reply #562 on: July 13, 2017, 02:08:33 am »
Recently finished my OND cab.  This is my first build and it took about three months to complete working primarily on weekends when time permitted.  I learned how to use a router on this project so there were more than a few mistakes made throughout the process!

Thanks to OND for sharing his plans and inspiring me to give this a shot.  Another big thanks to edge929 for sharing the details of his build.  This proved to be very helpful given that I based my build on his CP mod.
Nice work mate, looks great!

Thanks vaderag!  By the way, I saw your post about the marquee and thought I would share what I ended up doing.  I had some challenges here too and wasn't sure how I wanted to secure it to the cab.  I wanted easy access to the light behind it so I ended up buying floor tile edging (link provided), cut it to length (top and bottom) and secured them to the cabinet using industrial velcro.  Plexi fits perfectly between the two pieces and the velcro holds the edging in place really well.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Custom-Building-Products-Polished-Chrome-Anodized-5-16-in-x-98-1-2-in-Aluminum-R-Round-Bullnose-Tile-Edging-Trim-H8711BDC98/206449090
Interesting... I'm struggling to picture it tho... Would you mind providing a close up pic? At the moment after spending nearly £30 on aluminium I'm not going to use I'm leaning towards the tape option!!

Sure thing....hope this clarifies what I was talking about
That looks awesome

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Ond

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 18, 2024, 11:41:19 pm
« Reply #563 on: July 27, 2017, 08:13:33 pm »
Not making any promises or nothing, but I have a mind to repair this thread and maybe even take some ownership of it.  What? No. Really?  Yes.

vaderag

• Offline Offline
« Reply #564 on: July 28, 2017, 03:46:43 am »
Not making any promises or nothing, but I have a mind to repair this thread and maybe even take some ownership of it.  What? No. Really?  Yes.
Sounds like a promise to me ;)
Won't help me now (too far down the road) but sure anyone starting out Would appreciate it!

Ond

• Offline Offline
« Reply #565 on: August 02, 2017, 05:18:11 am »
All step by step build images are now restored, now to fix up a few of my other project threads.....

:cheers:

Ond

jennifer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 11, 2023, 06:24:58 am
« Reply #566 on: August 02, 2017, 03:38:49 pm »
All step by step build images are now restored, now to fix up a few of my other project threads.....

:cheers:

Ond
   OR.... Get your geezerwood out that lazyboy, and get back to work. :applaud:

JudgeRob

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 05, 2024, 10:55:50 pm
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,149265.120.html
« Reply #567 on: August 03, 2017, 09:15:18 pm »
When I originally read thorough this, I was confused about the control panel.  If maintenance is needed on the electrical components, how is the control panel opened up?

vaderag

• Offline Offline
« Reply #568 on: August 04, 2017, 02:41:06 am »
When I originally read thorough this, I was confused about the control panel.  If maintenance is needed on the electrical components, how is the control panel opened up?
Yes, I still have this question!

stigzler

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 11, 2022, 03:01:48 pm
  • It seemed like a good idea at the time....
    • Mago Arcade
« Reply #569 on: August 04, 2017, 03:34:34 am »
Errrr.... Recessed hinges?
« Last Edit: August 04, 2017, 03:38:41 am by stigzler »

Ond

• Offline Offline
« Reply #570 on: August 04, 2017, 05:12:33 am »
Back when I was designing this one of my rules was to keep the woodwork as simple as possible while still having an attractive looking cabinet.  I wanted the control panel to have rounded edges at the front with printed vinyl wrapped over these curves.  If you check the build steps on page 5 you should be able to see that the CP can be accessed via cut-outs in the back CP panel and matching cut-outs in the cabinet.  In fact, the CP is secured to the cabinet with just a few bolts.  You could use cable connectors, undo the bolts and lift off the CP when needed to make adjustments. Optionally if you are more confident with woodwork you could use cabinet hinges as stigzler suggests and hinge the top panel for easier access.  On one of my arcade cabinet builds I've done exactly this, I have rolled off edges and a hinged top panel.  Installing recessed spring loaded cabinet hinges can be tricky (and easy to mess up).  Accessing the controls from inside the cabinet is fiddly but much simpler to build.  If you need to regularly adjust joystick restrictor plates or tweak your controls a fair bit, then by all means go with a hinged top panel.  I hope that clears things up.

vaderag

• Offline Offline
« Reply #571 on: August 04, 2017, 11:05:53 am »
Back when I was designing this one of my rules was to keep the woodwork as simple as possible while still having an attractive looking cabinet.  I wanted the control panel to have rounded edges at the front with printed vinyl wrapped over these curves.  If you check the build steps on page 5 you should be able to see that the CP can be accessed via cut-outs in the back CP panel and matching cut-outs in the cabinet.  In fact, the CP is secured to the cabinet with just a few bolts.  You could use cable connectors, undo the bolts and lift off the CP when needed to make adjustments. Optionally if you are more confident with woodwork you could use cabinet hinges as stigzler suggests and hinge the top panel for easier access.  On one of my arcade cabinet builds I've done exactly this, I have rolled off edges and a hinged top panel.  Installing recessed spring loaded cabinet hinges can be tricky (and easy to mess up).  Accessing the controls from inside the cabinet is fiddly but much simpler to build.  If you need to regularly adjust joystick restrictor plates or tweak your controls a fair bit, then by all means go with a hinged top panel.  I hope that clears things up.

Thanks. I'm yet to build my CP - I also am doing wrapped vinyl, so a hinged top panel won't work (due to the crease of the vinyl), and while I don't intend to have to change anything (I have servostik's so should sort themselves out), I do want access in case anything goes wrong...
I have the holes at the back exactly as you suggested but don't feel that is enough...

My plan (currently) i think is to actually jigsaw a hole in the bottom which clips or magnets on (or if i'm feeling adventurous do a recess similar to the back door on the cab), meaning if maintainence is required I simply unbolt and open

My concern here is that I feel (perhaps unwarrently) that there is perhaps reason to have bolt(s) in the bottom of the CP as well to stop it lifting up in vigorous play... not sure tho

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 07:31:21 pm
« Reply #572 on: August 04, 2017, 11:21:15 am »
I want this thread to stay alive too. My current status:
  • Cab completely built and working. Been gaming on it for months now and it's pretty awesome. Vertical LCD and CPO has RGB everything.
  • Custom artwork by Opt2Not is complete (AMAZING) and has been delivered though I have yet to send it to the printer. Working with this guy was such a pleasure. So prossional, skilled, creative.
  • User Mike Boss is building a custom MaLa layout for me and he's incorporated some of the custom art from Opt2Not. I've seen a preview and she's a beaut!
  • T-mold is here and ready for install after the artwork application.
Otherwise it's ready to go. Hope to have the finish product pics posted soon.

Thanks again to OND for the inspiration to jump in and learn this stuff. I'm already thinking about another cab with a horizontal CRT w/ custom Metal Slug theme, assuming that Opt2Not will work with me again. And thanks to everyone else that has contributed to this thread and to the forum in general. I certainly couldn't have done it with you'se guys.
I wish this guy would update us on his cab, but he went MIA. The artwork turned out awesome, I would have loved to see it applied to the cab.

JudgeRob

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 05, 2024, 10:55:50 pm
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,149265.120.html
« Reply #573 on: August 06, 2017, 08:37:12 pm »
My plan (currently) i think is to actually jigsaw a hole in the bottom which clips or magnets on (or if i'm feeling adventurous do a recess similar to the back door on the cab), meaning if maintainence is required I simply unbolt and open

If I were you, I would just make the whole bottom removable (ie don't glue it).  That is, if you don't want hinges.  It seems stuff like taking the trackball out to clean it would be really hard through the back panel holes...

vaderag

• Offline Offline
« Reply #574 on: August 07, 2017, 03:35:43 am »

If I were you, I would just make the whole bottom removable (ie don't glue it).  That is, if you don't want hinges.  It seems stuff like taking the trackball out to clean it would be really hard through the back panel holes...
This still has the vinyl problem tho, as the vinyl wraps round... Hence the thought of jigsawing a smaller hole (tho so much bigger than the small ones on the back)

jennifer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 11, 2023, 06:24:58 am
« Reply #575 on: August 07, 2017, 02:24:46 pm »
     If one was to go back to page 1, and the original design.... There is no reason not to raise the coindoor a bit and use traditional latches and hinges. although that would require a steel panel and may be beyond the scope of down and dirty DIY plans.

BigTx2017

« Reply #576 on: September 28, 2017, 04:28:49 pm »
Is the overall height of the cab sides 77 1/4"? Hard to tell based on the small image of the plans, but the step below it at the 76degree angle is listed at 77 14/32. That means the space between these two locations is 0.1875" vertically, and the image shows a much larger delta.

Thanks!

vaderag

• Offline Offline
« Reply #577 on: October 06, 2017, 04:45:34 am »

This still has the vinyl problem tho, as the vinyl wraps round... Hence the thought of jigsawing a smaller hole (tho so much bigger than the small ones on the back)

Well, I've come up with a 'solution' to my control panel issue (sorta) -

I cut two more chunky holes in the bottom panel - this gives a fair bit of access and is big enough to get my trackball in, yet at the same time is concealed within the unit.

I'm not convinced I want to be connecting up all my parts through those holes, so am currently trying to be inventive about how I might connect this together (just posted another thread to that effect http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,155479.0.html), but on the whole I think this will work for maintenance access

josefino

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 07, 2018, 11:22:51 am
« Reply #578 on: November 27, 2017, 12:29:53 am »
One of the best threads I have come across, found a guy with a CNC machine close to my house. I hope to make a deal with him to have this cabinet made, I will have to modify plans to house a 32" tv.

JoeB

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 05:51:00 pm
  • NES Fanatic
« Reply #579 on: December 13, 2017, 04:30:21 pm »

It seems all your threads were zapped back in October to nothing.  Is it because you were on Photobucket, or you decided to leave us?  :)

vaderag

• Offline Offline
« Reply #580 on: July 03, 2018, 05:58:42 am »
Just wanted to say a massive thanks in this thread - the machine is now finished :D

If you want to ask me anything about it (outside the scope of this thread) then the project thread is here: http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,148501 (tho not many project notes!!)
« Last Edit: July 03, 2018, 06:10:12 am by vaderag »

Ond

• Offline Offline
« Reply #581 on: September 02, 2018, 06:20:47 pm »
Just wanted to say a massive thanks in this thread - the machine is now finished :D

If you want to ask me anything about it (outside the scope of this thread) then the project thread is here: http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,148501 (tho not many project notes!!)

I love it!  (and you're welcome)  ;D  I like your colour combination and CP art in particular, the theme feels really fun.

It’s very cool to think this project has helped a bunch of folks build their first cab (or second, or third…).

It’s not a sophisticated design, a classic one or even optimal one, nevertheless it’s had it’s uses.

So now that they've let me back in  :lol I'm looking at this 'project' again.  Whilst nothing must get in the way of my RoToron project, Metropolis sits in the background of my thoughts. 

While I was away I started learning Unity, I'm still a noob at it but I do learn fast.  Unfortunately, not long before the Photobucket debacle I had a hard drive crash on me which contained the original artwork for this.  I’ll restate my own personal ambition for this cab:  Build it and have my own (created in Unity) Metropolis 2D platform game running on it.

IF, there are any of you who can work in Unity and are interested in getting involved let me know.  Once RoToron is close to being wrapped up.  I’ll get stuck in to re-doing artwork etc.  If there was a game written, it would of course be released FREE in the spirit of sharing we have here at BYOAC.

vaderag

• Offline Offline
« Reply #582 on: September 03, 2018, 02:31:26 am »
Sounds like an awesome idea.
I had an idea of modding bubble bobble with the street fighter sprites, but time is getting away from me these days!!

Sent from my Mi A1 using Tapatalk

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2023, 08:05:48 am
  • I have a gaming addiction.....
« Reply #583 on: September 03, 2018, 07:04:48 am »
Sounds like an awesome idea.
I had an idea of modding bubble bobble with the street fighter sprites, but time is getting away from me these days!!

Super Bubble Fighter?

Would be fun in 2 player battle mode I reckon!

stigzler

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 11, 2022, 03:01:48 pm
  • It seemed like a good idea at the time....
    • Mago Arcade
« Reply #584 on: September 03, 2018, 01:30:21 pm »
I prefer "Street Bobble." If Reeves and Mortimer made arcade games...

vaderag

• Offline Offline
« Reply #585 on: September 03, 2018, 01:34:28 pm »
Super Bubble Fighter II Turbo guys... ;)

ZTylerDurden717

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 07, 2024, 12:52:28 pm
« Reply #586 on: October 02, 2018, 10:36:30 am »
Hi all,

I'm looking at the attached cutting plans from post #61 to begin.  Is there a larger graphic somewhere else?  It's a bit hard to read the measurement numbers.  Thank you!

edit: found it!
« Last Edit: October 02, 2018, 08:17:02 pm by ZTylerDurden717 »

Ond

• Offline Offline
« Reply #587 on: October 04, 2018, 05:46:49 pm »
Those plans have an error in the measurements somewhere (I forget where) so you''ll need to make some small adjustment.  It's no big deal though.

ZTylerDurden717

• Offline Offline
« Reply #588 on: October 07, 2018, 06:51:46 pm »
OND,

Thanks for confirming!  So you know I've been hauling wood to my garage to get going on this project.  I'm not gonna lie it was pretty intimidating transporting 96lbs of MDF  :dizzy:

All,

Does OND's schematics allow for LCD sizes larger than 23-24 inches without fundamentally altering the width structure of the cab?  I guess what I'm asking is, if I were to follow the step by step instructions of the schematics, is there overhead to fit a 32" 16:9 LCD with relatively slight adjustments?  I ask because I would consider covering the letterboxing if it meant gaining about 6" in proportional size relative to a 20.1" LCD. I also ask because since I'm new to this I don't know where I would make adjustments and if it's even worth it from a retro design perspective.

The Sega Astro City cabs used CRT's that were around 27", hence my target size.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2018, 12:19:54 am by ZTylerDurden717 »

vaderag

• Offline Offline
« Reply #589 on: October 08, 2018, 01:40:44 am »
No chance.

I have 28" monitor and had to increase width in the designs

ZTylerDurden717

• Offline Offline
« Reply #590 on: October 08, 2018, 11:35:20 am »
No chance.

I have 28" monitor and had to increase width in the designs

That's awesome that you pulled the trigger with a 28" especially if it was your first time.  I'm coming to the conclusion that I'll be happy with 21" by using a bezel-covered 24" 16:10.  If I manage to build this one I'll hopefully have knowledge to increase the scale for larger displays in the future.

ZTylerDurden717

• Offline Offline
« Reply #591 on: October 09, 2018, 01:18:51 pm »
vaderag,

Do you have any helpful dimension schematic materials you made on your side to accommodate your 28" that you could send over?  I still want to consider a 28" if someone has done it before.

Your cab simply came off superb.  I noticed you hit time constraints and design bumps along the way but pulled through with some amazing work.

vaderag

• Offline Offline
« Reply #592 on: October 09, 2018, 01:27:31 pm »
vaderag,

Do you have any helpful dimension schematic materials you made on your side to accommodate your 28" that you could send over?  I still want to consider a 28" if someone has done it before.

Your cab simply came off superb.  I noticed you hit time constraints and design bumps along the way but pulled through with some amazing work.
Thanks mate.
The thought did occur to me to dig it out but I'm on holiday at the moment so not possible.
I'm actually a 27" rather than 28" I think, can't quite remember but I'm 16:10 Dell monitor to get max 4:3 I could on a wide-screen

Either way, I'll try dig it out when I'm back but I do have a feeling I posted some OneDrive links further back in the thread if you have a chance to dig through before I'm back

In short tho it just required measuring my monitor, comparing to the space in the original and adjusting the central wood pieces accordingly. I would take the time to familiarise yourself anyway with each piece where it goes and what it does before cutting and building, will make everything so much easier!!

Only real delays were house moves, kids being born and nowhere to work in rainy weather. Nothing major ;)

ZTylerDurden717

• Offline Offline
« Reply #593 on: October 09, 2018, 06:56:40 pm »
Thanks mate.
The thought did occur to me to dig it out but I'm on holiday at the moment so not possible.
I'm actually a 27" rather than 28" I think, can't quite remember but I'm 16:10 Dell monitor to get max 4:3 I could on a wide-screen

Either way, I'll try dig it out when I'm back but I do have a feeling I posted some OneDrive links further back in the thread if you have a chance to dig through before I'm back

In short tho it just required measuring my monitor, comparing to the space in the original and adjusting the central wood pieces accordingly. I would take the time to familiarise yourself anyway with each piece where it goes and what it does before cutting and building, will make everything so much easier!!

Only real delays were house moves, kids being born and nowhere to work in rainy weather. Nothing major ;)

I found your schematics! So I could follow these? I ask because you made a post along the way on a “conundrum” with the monitor placement that made you question your scaling adjustments.

I’m following your advice on learning how each piece works :).

Edit: Hope you’re enjoying your time off!

Edit #2:  I believe the files you customized were conversions to the metric system and did not include width adjustments.  That's fine.  If you do happen to have your width adjustment version when you're back I'd love to take a look.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: October 10, 2018, 04:04:34 pm by ZTylerDurden717 »

vaderag

• Offline Offline
« Reply #594 on: October 11, 2018, 05:26:54 am »
I'll have a look when I'm back :)

Post again in a few days as a reminder if I haven't responded!!

ZTylerDurden717

• Offline Offline
« Reply #595 on: October 15, 2018, 09:33:29 pm »
Hi vaderag!

Not sure if this counts as a few days ;D.

Ok so I think I'm ready to cut.  I'm also using a 27" 16:10 Dell monitor.  I drew a sketch of the width/height of the bezel and it turns out that I need to add 4 inches (10.6cm) of width.  That said, I'm adding 4 inches of width across everything except for:

-Side Panels
-Control Panel endings L & R

Does that sound about right?  No height adjustments with additions of ~4 inches(~10.6cm) where width is concerned?  I'll need more MDF than the diagram designates because of this.

A few posts up I attached OND's original schematic.  Sorry I forgot to save your metric conversion version (american here).

edit:
If I'm not mistaken OND didn't get a chance to cover t-molding or speakers in terms of woodcutting.  You did the t-molding cut-ins and speaker holes before standing up the side the panels correct?

« Last Edit: October 16, 2018, 01:14:24 am by ZTylerDurden717 »

vaderag

• Offline Offline
« Reply #596 on: October 16, 2018, 03:36:17 am »
Morning.

Yes, thanks for the reminder!

All slots, speaker holes etc were done while disassembled.
I'd advise really taking time to gather and test all things before assembly - e.g speakers are easy to forget about

I'll dig out my plans shortly - you using a 2709W as well then? Think that's the only Dell 16:10 monitor I know of

vaderag

• Offline Offline
« Reply #597 on: October 16, 2018, 03:43:14 am »
Hi vaderag!

Not sure if this counts as a few days ;D.

Ok so I think I'm ready to cut.  I'm also using a 27" 16:10 Dell monitor.  I drew a sketch of the width/height of the bezel and it turns out that I need to add 4 inches (10.6cm) of width.  That said, I'm adding 4 inches of width across everything except for:

-Side Panels
-Control Panel endings L & R

Does that sound about right?  No height adjustments with additions of ~4 inches(~10.6cm) where width is concerned?  I'll need more MDF than the diagram designates because of this.

A few posts up I attached OND's original schematic.  Sorry I forgot to save your metric conversion version (american here).

edit:
If I'm not mistaken OND didn't get a chance to cover t-molding or speakers in terms of woodcutting.  You did the t-molding cut-ins and speaker holes before standing up the side the panels correct?

Attached my plans.
These are in cm and as far as I know account for the extra width required for my monitor. They are also not to scale, purely replaced the dimension markings
NB. I would double check these fully - i had a number of notes and scribbles on my printouts which have since been disposed of and since it was a long build for various reasons I don't remember what they all were!

ZTylerDurden717

• Offline Offline
« Reply #598 on: October 16, 2018, 11:14:05 am »
Thanks so much!

This is right on the money.  Every piece you made wider is exactly where I was targeting to make wider and by about the same width I adjusted for (in inches).  It was actually easier on the eyes that it was not to scale so I could compare the two charts side by side easily.

And yes, I'm also going to be using the 2709W.  It's on its way!

Last question.  You know how OND had a convenient 1:1 print-out to scale of the control panel cut out locations?  Since we're making it wider, can we not use it?  Did you figure out a way to use that print-out?

vaderag

• Offline Offline
« Reply #599 on: October 16, 2018, 11:35:53 am »
I designed my own from scratch so I didn't use that...
You could use it tho and then just make your CP a bit smaller, you'd have a lot of wasted space otherwise, but depends what kit you're putting in. I have 2p, 8 buttons each and a trackball so was glad for the space I had!