Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Build an OND designed cab 'Metropolis'  (Read 329243 times)

stigzler

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 11, 2022, 03:01:48 pm
  • It seemed like a good idea at the time....
    • Mago Arcade
Re: Build an OND designed cab 'Metropolis'
« Reply #480 on: April 24, 2016, 02:32:24 am »
Not sure which plans you're using so can't quite visualise your issue. However, when cutting mine, I used the following (with vert and hori measurements):

More here:

https://sites.google.com/site/alienarcade74/sub-projects/cabinet-design
« Last Edit: April 24, 2016, 02:36:45 am by stigzler »

billgatesmate

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 21, 2016, 10:29:57 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #481 on: April 24, 2016, 02:48:16 am »
Legend, that's exactly what I was looking for. Thank you

YoshiFtJ

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 05, 2016, 01:25:06 pm
« Reply #482 on: June 04, 2016, 07:40:24 pm »
Alright guys, I have been looking through these forums and other places for awhile now and think I will go with this build, as it looks rather nice and seems relatively simple to do.

If I were to go with the plans posted on the first post, would I have the correct dimensions for a complete cabinet? I have looked through these pages and saw that stigzler seemed to have success. Other than the monitor position, did you have any trouble?

The only modification that I see myself making is having 8 buttons per player rather than the 6, otherwise this should be exactly what I am looking to build.

vaderag

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 16, 2023, 05:11:02 am
  • Building my own cab :)
« Reply #483 on: June 05, 2016, 01:55:18 pm »
You should be fine. I'm building now, you can find my metric diagrams above. Seem to be working so far!!

stigzler

• Offline Offline
    • Mago Arcade
« Reply #484 on: June 05, 2016, 03:09:35 pm »
You'll be golden. Don't worry about 8 buttons either. I managed to fit in two sets of joystick and 8 buttons with a trackball in between within reduced dimensions (with the bolt on cp removed - essentially between the two side panels)

Old pic, but it'll give you the idea:

kmccb23

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 13, 2022, 06:04:55 am
« Reply #485 on: June 29, 2016, 10:35:23 am »
Has anyone compiled a parts list for this build?

I want to get all the lumber that is needed in one stop.. I see 1/2" MDF 4x4 and then two sheets of 3/4" 4x8 in the design.. But then later in the PDF it shows a 1/2" base that wasn't included in the first drawings..

Thanks

vaderag

• Offline Offline
« Reply #486 on: June 29, 2016, 04:37:22 pm »
3 4x8 in the relevant sizes is enough for everything except the back opening panel (tho if you cut it right you might be okay)

kmccb23

• Offline Offline
« Reply #487 on: July 02, 2016, 09:40:52 pm »
I got the wood and started drawing my measurements on the board.. I'm stumped on how to do the degree/angle measurements.. If there were more measurements given where the angles are, I can simple draw a line to meet two points.. But the PDF I have does not have them..

I've attached an example.. The 15*.. I know the angle starts at 38 3/8" high (shown by red line in attachment).. If I knew the measurement of the other line shown I could simple connect the two points.. So I'm stuck..

How do I figure out these since there are no measurements to connect the points? There are numerous angle cuts that I need to draw but can't..

Thanks!

stigzler

• Offline Offline
    • Mago Arcade
« Reply #488 on: July 03, 2016, 04:51:59 am »
Similar issue to this guy's post a few posts above?

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,118612.msg1572881.html#msg1572881

He seemed to get it solved.

kmccb23

• Offline Offline
« Reply #489 on: July 03, 2016, 09:04:06 am »
Similar issue to this guy's post a few posts above?

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,118612.msg1572881.html#msg1572881

He seemed to get it solved.

Thanks for the reply.. I did see that after I posted, however, the drawing you posted that helped him out seems to be a modified plan of what the OP originally posted..

Was hoping to use the OPs plans..

vaderag

• Offline Offline
« Reply #490 on: July 03, 2016, 09:31:53 am »
If you look through the thread I posted a cm version of the design - pretty certain that had the angles on... there is certainly enough info to work it out

Remember you'll need to modify somewhat as likely you won't have the same monitor as op

kmccb23

• Offline Offline
« Reply #491 on: July 03, 2016, 01:53:10 pm »
If you look through the thread I posted a cm version of the design - pretty certain that had the angles on... there is certainly enough info to work it out

Remember you'll need to modify somewhat as likely you won't have the same monitor as op

Are you referring to this post / drawing? http://www.apjgriffiths.com/shared/METROPOLIS_ARCADE_CAB-CENTIMETRES.png

If so, still the same issue, except in centimeters.. I can't go point to point to make the angle as the measurements aren't all there to accomplish that.

Thanks

vaderag

• Offline Offline
« Reply #492 on: July 03, 2016, 02:12:31 pm »

Are you referring to this post / drawing? http://www.apjgriffiths.com/shared/METROPOLIS_ARCADE_CAB-CENTIMETRES.png

If so, still the same issue, except in centimeters.. I can't go point to point to make the angle as the measurements aren't all there to accomplish that.

Thanks
Having marked and cut mine a few weeks back using that diagram I can 100%promise that if you're looking for something that isn't on there, then it can either be worked out with some basic trigonometry or is not needed :)

kmccb23

• Offline Offline
« Reply #493 on: July 03, 2016, 02:32:56 pm »

Thanks
Having marked and cut mine a few weeks back using that diagram I can 100%promise that if you're looking for something that isn't on there, then it can either be worked out with some basic trigonometry or is not needed :)

I figure it's something I just don't "get" that's why I'm asking for help.. So in your drawing.. Let's take the 15* cut that needs made..

We know it starts 20.3 in from the left.. We know it starts 97.5 from the bottom.. We know the cut goes to 124.7.. So I know the width of the start of the cut (20.3 from the left edge). I know the height of the start of the cut (97.5 from the bottom).. I know how high I have to go with the cut (124.7 from the bottom).. But I don't know the width I take that cut to meet the 124.7 from the bottom measurement..

How do I get that?

Thanks much!!!

vaderag

• Offline Offline
« Reply #494 on: July 03, 2016, 02:51:04 pm »
Okay, so, I'm not 100% certain but I think you're talking about the main diagonal...
The key is to draw your straight lines longer than needed, but mark the end points. You'll end up with essentially dots you can join up. The 15 degrees is from the vertical, so having the longer vertical also gives you the basis for that angle. Also, I found that my protractor want precise enough to get the lines spot on with it, so doing it this way made it easier to match everything up.
Also, don't worry about being too precise on the second piece - if you're using the flush trim router then you'll be fine :)

kmccb23

• Offline Offline
« Reply #495 on: July 03, 2016, 05:07:29 pm »
Okay, so, I'm not 100% certain but I think you're talking about the main diagonal...
The key is to draw your straight lines longer than needed, but mark the end points. You'll end up with essentially dots you can join up. The 15 degrees is from the vertical, so having the longer vertical also gives you the basis for that angle. Also, I found that my protractor want precise enough to get the lines spot on with it, so doing it this way made it easier to match everything up.
Also, don't worry about being too precise on the second piece - if you're using the flush trim router then you'll be fine :)

Really appreciate the help.. :)

I don't think I'm going to use a router at all.. Not my best tool.. I'm just going to do my best with a circular saw and jigsaw.. So without those measurements I need.. Sounds like a protractor is 100% needed.. I had to borrow my daughters from school lol..

http://imgur.com/a/Ye6TV

The first picture is me intersecting the lines as you said.. I then put the protractor on and tried my best to mark 15*.. Is this how it has to be done?

Thanks again.

vaderag

• Offline Offline
« Reply #496 on: July 04, 2016, 03:33:46 am »

Really appreciate the help.. :)

I don't think I'm going to use a router at all.. Not my best tool.. I'm just going to do my best with a circular saw and jigsaw.. So without those measurements I need.. Sounds like a protractor is 100% needed.. I had to borrow my daughters from school lol..

http://imgur.com/a/Ye6TV

The first picture is me intersecting the lines as you said.. I then put the protractor on and tried my best to mark 15*.. Is this how it has to be done?

Thanks again.
Looks about right to me :)
I would seriously recommend investing in a router tho, I'd never used one before this project, but I really don't think I'd have ended up with the results I gave so far without it!!

kmccb23

• Offline Offline
« Reply #497 on: July 13, 2016, 08:25:41 am »
So I got my panels cut and my support 1x2 boards attached.. Regarding assembly.. Do the side panels just "sit" on the support 1x2 boards of the base?? Or are they screwed into those 1x2 boards from the outside of the side panels on the bottom?

vaderag

• Offline Offline
« Reply #498 on: July 16, 2016, 08:47:16 am »
I've finally nearly finished cutting all the pieces now - just the CP sides to go, but they're going to have to wait as my second cheap chinese flush trim bit has just died :(

Anyway - going to move on to the slot cutting for now (for the T-Moulding) - is it just the two sides and the CP sides that have T-Moulding on??

MOsting i'm wondering if the sides of the front panel should have it?

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:19:17 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #499 on: July 16, 2016, 02:24:39 pm »
I've finally nearly finished cutting all the pieces now - just the CP sides to go, but they're going to have to wait as my second cheap chinese flush trim bit has just died :(

Anyway - going to move on to the slot cutting for now (for the T-Moulding) - is it just the two sides and the CP sides that have T-Moulding on??

Any place there are bare edges, I would have it.
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

der_yeti

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 12, 2019, 09:58:31 am
« Reply #500 on: July 22, 2016, 06:42:33 am »
Hi,

is it possible to get a cad compatible file of the sidepanels with rounded edges?

like in this Picture:

http://newwiki.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?title=File:Ond_build-004.jpg

I want to let the sides cut at a local store.

vaderag

• Offline Offline
« Reply #501 on: July 23, 2016, 01:19:20 pm »

Any place there are bare edges, I would have it.
Thanks. I'm thinking of beveling those edges so may not be bare... I'll have a think

Talking of beveling, I'm planning to do my monitor cut out tomorrow but have a question about the cut and bevel...
Obviously the router is going to give me curved corners both in the cut and the bevel... How do you overcome this to get proper right angles?

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #502 on: July 23, 2016, 01:38:45 pm »
Use a chisel.

vaderag

• Offline Offline
« Reply #503 on: July 23, 2016, 01:50:22 pm »
Use a chisel.
So, do you leave some excess there, or will the excess left by the router cutting up to the corners be enough? And presumably, I'll need a good non blunt chisel (which means another trip to the shop)

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #504 on: July 23, 2016, 01:52:13 pm »
Actually, recently I don't have an issue with the rounded corners - but if I have to square it, I use a chisel.

vaderag

• Offline Offline
« Reply #505 on: July 25, 2016, 08:53:42 am »
So, i never got around to my bevelling, tho i think that is the last piece of woodwork (barring cutting holes for my speakers and the CP) that is left before assembly...

Question... when using the bevel bit on the monitor cut out, do I a) run the bearing along the very bottom MM or so of the cutout, or b) use a straight edge clamped underneath and run it along that?

Obviously a) gives me a mm thickness left, so probably makes the edges more robust, but b) gives me a full bevel coming down to a point?

Cheers

vaderag

• Offline Offline
« Reply #506 on: July 25, 2016, 11:31:46 am »
Also... in the instructions, for the bezel the instructions say.
1) Cut the hole [DONE]
2) Chamfer/bezel the edges [TO DO]
3) Route the back for the monitor to sit in...

Thinking this through, if i bevel the edges then surlely once i route the rest out then the edge of the bevel is actually going to be removed by the routing out of the back, which would actually make the cut hole bigger??

kmccb23

• Offline Offline
« Reply #507 on: July 26, 2016, 10:08:26 am »
Almost finished with mine.. Just need some direction on the marquee..

If I get something similar to this - http://www.gameongrafix.com/marquees/arcade-emulator - how does it get mounted etc??

Thanks

vaderag

• Offline Offline
« Reply #508 on: August 04, 2016, 03:23:32 am »
There are a few suggestions around here, I think further up this thread maybe, but I'm planning to go with the plastic paper binder option when I get there :)

Ond

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 18, 2024, 11:41:19 pm
« Reply #509 on: August 26, 2016, 12:23:24 am »
I was pondering this 'project' the other day. You know, thinking about my Metropolis theme, the artwork and so forth. I thought "If I were to build this myself what would I do differently".  Structurally I think I'd stick to the design,  then I got an idea! what about putting just one game on the cab.  A game of Metropolis that I write?  It would all hang together then, the artwork, the game, the theme.  It could be fun - a scrolling 2D platform Metropolis game.  Is it hard to do?  :dunno D'ya think I could do it?  What should the game play be?  Would anyone be interested?

vaderag

• Offline Offline
« Reply #510 on: August 26, 2016, 02:23:35 am »
I was pondering this 'project' the other day. You know, thinking about my Metropolis theme, the artwork and so forth. I thought "If I were to build this myself what would I do differently".  Structurally I think I'd stick to the design,  then I got an idea! what about putting just one game on the cab.  A game of Metropolis that I write?  It would all hang together then, the artwork, the game, the theme.  It could be fun - a scrolling 2D platform Metropolis game.  Is it hard to do?  :dunno D'ya think I could do it?  What should the game play be?  Would anyone be interested?
Nice idea! I had the same thought with my cab - Super Bubble Fighter II Turbo.
I guess simplest way would be to replace the sprites on an existing game?? Creating your own would be challenging and unless you're aiming to seriously work hard on it with a mind to maybe selling, it would probably be a bit naff ;)

I wanted to ask about the build, where the cp back creates the lip for the plexi to sit, is the cp supposed to be level or stick up a bit too help with the lip?

Ond

• Offline Offline
« Reply #511 on: August 29, 2016, 06:32:12 pm »
About the game development, both idea's interest me.  A good start would be to hack an existing game.  Going from scratch maybe too ambitious, but I never think about that, just go where it takes me.

The thickness of the CP provides the lip behind which the plexi sits.  The rear edge of the panel is rounded off to provide a gap - like in the diagram.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #512 on: August 29, 2016, 10:00:50 pm »
Based on the movie Metropolis??? Sign me up!

Ond

• Offline Offline
« Reply #513 on: August 29, 2016, 11:40:27 pm »

Heh, I was wondering when you'd catch this  ;D.  Yes based on the movie, it has plenty that could be material for a game:

-Futuristic city as imagined in 1927!
-Evil robot inventor Rotwang who builds a robot with hopes of recreating his wife Hel.
-The "False Maria" robot spreading chaos in the underground city, inciting riots and mayhem.
-The heroine Maria trying to rescue people from a flooding city.
-The giant Heart Machine requiring constant 'hands on' to stop it from blowing it's stack.
-The hero Freder running  around underground catacombs battling evil and trying to save the day.

Side scrolling 2D, all in glorious 8 bit looking, chunky sprites etc!

Could be my obsession in 2017 (assuming current stuff is complete).

« Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 04:24:24 am by Ond »

vaderag

• Offline Offline
« Reply #514 on: August 30, 2016, 03:13:49 am »

The thickness of the CP provides the lip behind which the plexi sits.  The rear edge of the panel is rounded off to provide a gap - like in the diagram.

So  just to confirm, you've rounded both the front and the back of the main cp piece and then that sits on top of the cp back piece (flush at the back). The cp back piece then attaches to the cp backing piece which is attached to the main body. And the plexi sits on top of the cp backing held in place by the extra height  from the rounded cp back??

Ond

• Offline Offline
« Reply #515 on: August 30, 2016, 04:22:20 am »

So  just to confirm, you've rounded both the front and the back of the main cp piece and then that sits on top of the cp back piece (flush at the back). The cp back piece then attaches to the cp backing piece which is attached to the main body. And the plexi sits on top of the cp backing held in place by the extra height  from the rounded cp back??

Yes! That is exactly correct.

vaderag

• Offline Offline
« Reply #516 on: August 30, 2016, 04:23:47 am »

Yes! That is exactly correct.
Perfect, thanks :) Ill hopefully drill the holes for fixing those two bits later!!

vaderag

• Offline Offline
« Reply #517 on: August 30, 2016, 04:24:55 am »

Heh, I was wondering when you'd catch this  ;D.  Yes based on the movie, it has plenty that could be material for a game:

-Futuristic city as imagined in 1927!
-Evil robot inventor Rotwang who builds a robot with hopes of recreating his wife Hel.
-The "False Maria" robot spreading chaos in the underground city, inciting riots and mayhem.
-The heroine Maria trying to rescue people from a flooding city.
-The giant Heart Machine requiring constant 'hands on' to stop it from blowing it's stack.
-The hero Freder running  around underground catacombs battling evil and trying to save the day.

Side scrolling 2D, all in glorious 8 bit, chunky sprites etc!

Could be my obsession in 2017 (assuming current stuff is complete).
Sounds like tweaking Sonic sprites from the Cyber City zone might work :)

« Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 05:53:39 am by vaderag »

vaderag

• Offline Offline
« Reply #518 on: September 11, 2016, 03:34:15 am »
Question... What's the best way to get the pieces squared up... Presumably I need an angle on a few of the pieces that fill gaps (and on the cp back piece since the top piece is at an angle...) - do I just sand these with a bit of guesswork??

JudgeRob

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 05, 2024, 10:55:50 pm
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,149265.120.html
« Reply #519 on: September 14, 2016, 07:23:58 pm »
Router an angle down the long edge to get it close.  Fill any gaps and sand to perfection.