Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Build an OND designed cab 'Metropolis'  (Read 328430 times)

Ond

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 09:55:34 am
Build an OND designed cab 'Metropolis'
« on: March 06, 2012, 01:04:12 am »
For a while now I've been thinking about drawing up complete plans for an upright cab and creating artwork for said cab and providing here free for others to build.  I'm up to my eyeballs in my own project and won't be starting anything new until at least the physical build is completed. 

In the past I've provided a few concepts here and there for other peoples ideas such as Epyx's Aliens cab and some others which those guys have gone on to build (or will be building).  My idea is to produce a 'traditional' design which is not overly complicated i.e. nothing like the Astro cab and with clear step by step instructions for construction.  I would also provide Hi-Res artwork or probably more likely vector artwork (this depends on a few things). Why would I do this?  As a way to give something back to the forum and so I can live vicariously through someone building my design of course  ;D.  No strings attached just an OND complete cabinet-package for those folks interested.  If I get some genuine interest I'll go ahead and put something together.

:cheers:

Ond

« Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 03:21:45 am by Ond »

dandare

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 25, 2013, 08:43:44 am
Re: Build an OND designed cab
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2012, 04:30:31 am »
WOW! are you serious!

That sounds like an amazing and very thoughtful idea (you big softy  ;D).

I'm interested!

saint

• turned to the Dark Side
  • Supreme Chancellor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:49:54 am
  • I only work in cyberspace...
    • Build Your Own Arcade Controls
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2012, 07:27:46 am »
For a while now I've been thinking about drawing up complete plans for an upright cab and creating artwork for said cab and providing here free for others to build.  I'm up to my eyeballs in my own project and won't be starting anything new until at least the physical build is completed. 

In the past I've provided a few concepts here and there for other peoples ideas such as Epyx's Aliens cab and some others which those guy's have gone on to build (or will be building).  My idea is to produce a 'traditional' design which is not overly complicated i.e. nothing like the Astro cab and with clear step by step instructions for construction.  I would also provide Hi-Res artwork or probably more likely vector artwork (this depends on a few things). Why would I do this?  As a way to give something back to the forum and so I can live vicariously through someone building my design of course  ;D.  No strings attached just an OND complete cabinet-package for those folks interested.  If I get some genuine interest I'll go ahead and put something together.

Ond

Awesome sauce!  You should totally do this.
--- John St.Clair
     Build Your Own Arcade Controls FAQ
     http://www.arcadecontrols.com/
     Project Arcade 2!
     http://www.projectarcade2.com/
     saint@arcadecontrols.com

leapinlew

• Some questionable things going on in this room with cheetos
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 07:09:32 pm
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2012, 08:01:15 am »
I've built a ton of cabs and I'm interested!

Are we talking CRT or LCD?

GregD

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2015, 02:26:41 pm
    • Arcade Nebula
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2012, 08:11:14 am »
Great idea.  If this was available a few months ago I would have absolutely used it....as long as it was a slim LCD design.  Hey, maybe a design that could be modified for CRT and LCD just by removing/adding depth?  The artwork would have been huge for me.  That is what really held me up.  As a woodworker I could handle the design and construction of the cabinet without a problem.  It was the design of the control panel and the creation of the template and artwork that took forever and is holding up the build.  There is a shortage of downloadable control panel designs that someone can use and just drop a background image on and then send to get printed. 

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 14, 2024, 06:07:15 pm
  • <insert personal text here>
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2012, 08:58:16 am »
Wait... you mean your current cab wasn't meant as that?!  I've been building along Bob Ross Joy of Painting style and am just waiting for the next step.  Totally upset when you told me it was red and not orange.  I had to do a mess of repainting. 

That is an awesome idea and you'll make whoever undertakes your design both smarter and happier for having done it.   :applaud:

TopJimmyCooks

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 06, 2024, 12:19:16 pm
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2012, 09:18:42 am »
My $.02 - First, that is a wonderful thing to do and I'm sure you'll get some takers (like me!) given your design eye and art skills. 

On the cab itself, I am obviously biased towards the decisions I've made in the past, but mid depth to me is the way to go.  Designed around an LCD display of a fairly specific size of your choice, i suggest.  To future proof it it could accept a good sized widescreen with the possibility of bezeling down to 4:3.  I say mid depth (like 18" deep at the base) because its hard to do effective sideart on a woody/terminus depth sometimes.  It's a good compromise between modern sizing and art display capability. 

Now that the unsolicited advice has been spewed forth, I can't wait to see whatever you come up with.

BobA

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 11, 2018, 09:52:14 pm
  • What Me Worry?
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2012, 09:31:30 am »
Great idea.  Your design will definately be a classic and will be the basis of many future cabs.  Having artwork in vector form will make it even more desireable.  :applaud:

drventure

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 25, 2023, 02:23:57 pm
  • Laser Death Ray Bargain Bin! Make me an offer!
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2012, 10:13:21 am »
Meh.

(I say, as I bookmark this thread and configure immediate autonotify on all new posts  :) )

kahlid74

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 01, 2021, 12:42:56 pm
  • Gaming for a better future!
    • GamersAnon
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2012, 10:16:53 am »
Detailed plans for construction are always welcome.  I look forward to seeing what you make.

DaOld Man

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 13, 2023, 12:03:14 am
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2012, 10:28:58 am »
I agree. Superb idea my good man!!

Drnick

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 06, 2023, 01:19:48 pm
  • Plodding Through Life
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2012, 12:21:16 pm »
Yes please, I could then tell my brother to follow the instructions rather then having him call me every other day with another question or 3 :)

Donkey_Kong

• heh. I dont know what it stands for but I'm immature and thats hilarious.
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 20, 2019, 12:39:54 am
    • CNC Machines
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2012, 04:06:18 pm »
Very cool man, Thanks in advance!
Carved Signs, Custom Gameroom Signs, and Arcade Game Decor and now CNC MACHINES by Melissa Jones

Brian74

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 10, 2024, 01:55:58 pm
  • Yep... I built that!!
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2012, 05:47:35 pm »
I am so interested!!! I have been trying to decide if I wanna continue my silver strike conversion or build a slim for my 26 inch lcd. I will be watching this thread closely!

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2012, 05:53:56 pm »
Ond, you should get like four or five builders all agree to start building from your plans on the same day and use one group thread for their builds which you moderate.  That way they can figure it out from each other as well as you.  Then at the end somebody can make like a group slideshow.  That way you are busy doing that and never finishing your opus from that other really long thread of yours.   

Neostalker

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 29, 2012, 01:51:08 pm
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2012, 06:40:56 pm »
Greatest Idea ever! Now if only we could replicate the quality  :'(

Ond

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2012, 07:18:19 pm »
Hey guys,  thanks for the encouraging feedback on this idea, and with saint's endorsement too, how can I not proceed eh? Well it looks like it's happening then!  There's plenty of good questions, suggestions and ideas here already, I hope its OK if I respond to them collectively ?

Just listening to the feedback and combining that with my own ideas, the design has to be something that appeals to both relatively new people to the hobby as well as veterans with plenty of experience.  It should adhere where possible to BYOAC 'best practises' in terms of CP layout and ergonomics. It should appeal to folks who may be sitting on the fence, wondering wether to seek out an existing cab and Mame it or build fresh and need the gentle push down the path of a complete DYI project.  It should be buildable without a CNC or a carpenters CV, just some basic workshop/woodworking power tools. It should be a fresh design and not a rehash of current designs or themes that are floating around.  It should be cool.  It should be reasonably affordable.   So, with all that off the top of my head as a bunch or requirements I've come up with a design brief list:

Form Factor:                 Mid depth upright cabinet
System:                       Mame
Materials:                     MDF, woodscrews, glue, carriage bolts, blood, sweat ..just kidding  ;)
Screen:                        Readily available LCD screen fixed vertical aspect
Finish:                          Painted finish but not crazy 'Ond hi-gloss, work till you have RSI in both elbows kinda finish'.  Just a very smooth satin rolled on finish.
Color:                           Pink, no Blue  :dunno  (depends on theme)
Controls:                       Happ style - 2 player 6 buttons ea. Sanwa JLW sticks, Happ Trackball, Keywiz
Artwork Theme:             Several ideas here, 1. Dragons - Hey I liked em way before Skyrim OK?
                                                             2.Avenging Angels (think sword & sorcery theme i.e. scantily clad women and big shiny swords)
                                                             3. Rusty Robot - Just a little bit retro future but very rusty, and broken......... and sad  :laugh2:
                                                             4. Sexy 'chrome n black' Cyborg i.e *cough* scantily clad gleaming chrome lady
                                                             5. Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - love the babel fish!
                                                             6. Metropolis (the original Fritz Lang ver.) lovely old world feel to appeal to drventure types
Cab Name:                    NFI
Bling lighting:                 Yes
Front End:                     Mala
Coin door:                     Optional

The list isn't going to please everyone of course but should please some.

I couldn't be happier if several people built this at the same time, I really like the idea of some people working together on it, but hey who knows?  

I'll start with the cabinet construction first, that's the easier part, the artwork will take some time (once I've settled on a theme ) but the concept and construction approach can already be posted before I get stuck into that.

This has to be fun, did I mention it has to be cool also? I sure enjoy designing if you hadn't guessed that yet and it lets me be of some use to people who are keen to build.

Ond

« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 09:29:23 pm by Ond »

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2012, 07:38:00 pm »
Combine #3 and #4, add a feather boa, miniskirt, and crows feet.  Think robotic rusty sultry dame Judi Dench.  Have it smoking and lounging in a martini glass.  Add neon and stir baby stir!

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 12:41:11 am
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2012, 08:19:02 pm »
You won me over with design #6.
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

Brian74

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 10, 2024, 01:55:58 pm
  • Yep... I built that!!
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2012, 08:24:59 pm »
Can you really go wrong with dragons?  :applaud:

YoGaBaR

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 11, 2021, 12:10:54 pm
  • Yeah im in the club
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2012, 09:22:46 pm »
Wow! I am getting a little excited hearing this news. This is a big task but I am sure you will make it awesome! Cant wait to see how this goes.
Check out my WOODY  Bubble Bobble

leapinlew

• Offline Offline
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2012, 11:18:02 pm »
I assume we'll be able to adjust the plan to fit angled joysticks?

Ond

• Offline Offline
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2012, 11:21:58 pm »
How about a robot riding a dragon and fighting a space pirate?

Cute.

I assume we'll be able to adjust the plan to fit angled joysticks?

What do you mean adjust?  I was going to angle each joystick at some random offset to keep it 'challenging' anyway.  :P

Vigo

• the Scourage of Carpathia
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 09, 2024, 04:32:11 pm
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2012, 12:29:28 am »
With the Metropolis theme, if you could cinch the art deco style, it would easily have my vote*. If it came off as just steampunky, I would pass.

*Vigo admits to having just re-watched the Incredibles tonight, and it has totally gotten him in an art deco mood.

« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 12:31:47 am by Vigo »

Ond

• Offline Offline
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2012, 01:11:23 am »
With the Metropolis theme, if you could cinch the art deco style, it would easily have my vote*. If it came off as just steampunky, I would pass.

*Vigo admits to having just re-watched the Incredibles tonight, and it has totally gotten him in an art deco mood.

Y e a h the art deco look is a great idea, I could take that style with the radiant beams and that nice 2D look and incorporate some metropolis art in there, good thinking. 

Well Fed Games

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 06, 2022, 07:30:46 pm
  • Delicious!
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2012, 01:23:37 am »

Y e a h the art deco look is a great idea, I could take that style with the radiant beams and that nice 2D look and incorporate some metropolis art in there, good thinking. 

Now I want to build a cab that would look correct in BioShock's Rapture (timeline issues notwithstanding). Art deco is awesome.

And furthermore, I would love to see a Ond- designed cabinet plan out there for folks like me to follow. I know other plans (Knievel, UA, etc) have been a boon to the hobby, I think yours would too.
Completed projects: Pac bartop (Plug & Play), 30th Anniversary Pac cab (MAME), Point Blank (PS1), Centipede (arcade hardware- light restore), VS. Super Mario Bros (arcade hardware- light restore) Tetris Cocktail (SNES), Arcade Classics upright (60-in-1, then MAME), Multi-Raiden (arcade hardware). Pac Man vs.(Gamecube),

Working on: Pinball Re-theme, Homebrew arcade arena shooter

Ond

• Offline Offline
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2012, 07:59:51 am »

Now I want to build a cab that would look correct in BioShock's Rapture (timeline issues notwithstanding). Art deco is awesome.

And furthermore, I would love to see a Ond- designed cabinet plan out there for folks like me to follow. I know other plans (Knievel, UA, etc) have been a boon to the hobby, I think yours would too.

Thanks for the interest in this, it's only early days but I already have some good ideas for a design.

The first step is to develop the cabinet shape and style, keeping in mind my design brief.  Here's some content I created today.

« Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 03:33:07 am by Ond »

leapinlew

• Offline Offline
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2012, 12:47:01 pm »
the curve you have in there will be difficult for many home wood workers to pull off. Hell, the angle at the top of a Galaga cabinet is difficult to get right. Perhaps if you can easily explain how to achieve this curve using normal tools it might not be so intimidating.

I think the marquee area needs to be bigger and less room given to the screen, unless you had some plans for the marquee area. The people that put speakers up there may have a difficult time installing them. Of course, without me seeing the bottom half of the marquee, I'm guessing where it will be.

GregD

• Offline Offline
    • Arcade Nebula
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2012, 02:57:56 pm »
I like it.   Maybe a taller marquee area.   The curve is easily made by bending a thin piece of wood and tracing.   Not very difficult.

HaRuMaN

• Supreme Solder King
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+45)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 05:50:16 pm
  • boom
    • Arcade Madness
« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2012, 03:00:45 pm »
Too mission-controlish for my tastes...   ;D

Ond

• Offline Offline
« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2012, 03:10:15 pm »
the curve you have in there will be difficult for many home wood workers to pull off. Hell, the angle at the top of a Galaga cabinet is difficult to get right. Perhaps if you can easily explain how to achieve this curve using normal tools it might not be so intimidating.

I think the marquee area needs to be bigger and less room given to the screen, unless you had some plans for the marquee area. The people that put speakers up there may have a difficult time installing them. Of course, without me seeing the bottom half of the marquee, I'm guessing where it will be.

Yeah.... to share or not to share that is the question.  :lol  I agree with you Lew on the marquee area, it's a bit narrow.  That pic post was me sharing my design (WIP!) process, I was going to describe that along with the pics but it was late so the words were few.  So! some thoughts now,  can home wood workers do curves or angles?  I think the answer is yes with some clear instructions and a method to do it.  I posted those pics with the intention of showing how I can do exploded views in step by step build instructions that will tackle things like order of construction and woodworking methods.  My plan is to go beyond just providing a design and cutting plans and to provide an illustrated DIY guide to build from. That's where I can add some value.  

Back to my design... one of the things I'm enjoying with this project is taking a close look at some of the more highly regarded traditional cabinets that have been documented here over the years.  Joinery methods, order of construction everything.  When I'm drawing a design initially, I put the basic shapes together to see how they will work out, at that point I'm not too concerned with fine measurements but rather with how things will fit together.  Once that's done I'll adjust proportions and then fine tune to get to cutting measurements which are rounded off i.e whole numbers where possible.  Here's a challenge I face, designing in both Metric and Imperial  :dizzy:  You yanks aren't going to be happy if I provide everything in Metric now are you?

To those that don't think it's their 'cup of tea' already,  no problem, don't build it.  ;D

wp34

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2022, 09:48:19 pm
« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2012, 05:31:57 pm »
My plan is to go beyond just providing a design and cutting plans and to provide an illustrated DIY guide to build from. That's where I can add some value.  

I think this should be very well received.  A newbie could theoretically build something more advanced looking using your guide.   :applaud:

Neostalker

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 29, 2012, 01:51:08 pm
« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2012, 06:18:12 pm »
OH NO, please provide imperial measurements. it really sucks converting everything to *.572 measurements.  :hissy:

Ond

• Offline Offline
« Reply #33 on: March 08, 2012, 07:12:29 am »
My plan is to go beyond just providing a design and cutting plans and to provide an illustrated DIY guide to build from. That's where I can add some value. 

I think this should be very well received.  A newbie could theoretically build something more advanced looking using your guide.   :applaud:

This is exactly my thinking.

OH NO, please provide imperial measurements. it really sucks converting everything to *.572 measurements.  :hissy:

Heh,  don't worry I'll do both.

I have arrived at a design concept I'm pretty happy with.  I've done away with the curves and replaced with some angles.  I was thinking of the Metropolis theme when I was drawing it up.  The panel below the CP on the front will be neon lit from behind and tie in with the Metropolis art deco artwork. The CP has been redone with a rolled off front edge and ends which will have T-molding added (as will the other edges).  This is the first stage, the next step is too take the various panels that make up the cab and get a cutting plan.  Overall the proportions seem pretty good including the marquee area.  It's not too complex from a construction point of view but still aesthetically pleasing IMO.  Artwork and paint finish will make all the difference of course.

Once the cutting plans and measurements are done I'll begin with the construction steps and wood working methods. 

Ond
« Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 03:37:43 am by Ond »

leapinlew

• Offline Offline
Re: Build an OND designed cab 'Metropolis'
« Reply #34 on: March 08, 2012, 08:56:21 am »
What I love:
  • Easy angles
  • The middle front piece is great. There are some good artwork/lighting options here. 
  • I absolutely love the wrap around control panel. Again lots of good artwork options here

What I'm concerned about:
  • The marquee wood - are they at angles? Whats the plan for marquee retainers? I only use them successfully at 90 degrees and anytime I've had to bend some, I've been less happy with the results. I suppose Happs marquee retainers would work here.
  • The vertical monitor and a street fighter layout is weird. I assume it would be easy enough to flip the monitor for horizontal format, or reduce the number of controls for a dedicated vertical, or build some sort of rotating mechanism.

Overall, I like that it has clean lines and looks like a modern version of a classic arcade. This design would lend itself well to being all wood or full artwork. Very nice.

TopJimmyCooks

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 06, 2024, 12:19:16 pm
« Reply #35 on: March 08, 2012, 09:41:26 am »
Although I don't care about them myself, I would make the center front wide enough to receive a coin door.  Many consider them de rigueur for an upright cab. 

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 12:41:11 am
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #36 on: March 08, 2012, 10:05:40 am »
Good job for the theme. I see the Tower of Babel in the lines of the cab!  :applaud:
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

GregD

• Offline Offline
    • Arcade Nebula
« Reply #37 on: March 08, 2012, 10:17:14 am »
Why vertical?  I may be wrong but, it seems that most noob's building their first cabinet go with a horizontal monitor. Like I said, I may be wrong about this.

eds1275

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 16, 2024, 05:26:18 pm
  • Rock and Roll!
« Reply #38 on: March 08, 2012, 11:28:21 am »
I like it. Looks easy enough to build, though I liked the curves. But hey, who's to say we need to follow your plans exactly anyways? Put the curves in, a coin door, make that front panel stick out a little further so the guns can go in behind, add some pinball buttons, drop a spinner on it, put a widescreen in it horizontally - the possibilities are endless.

Ond

• Offline Offline
« Reply #39 on: March 08, 2012, 03:28:35 pm »
What I love:
  • Easy angles
  • The middle front piece is great. There are some good artwork/lighting options here.  
  • I absolutely love the wrap around control panel. Again lots of good artwork options here

What I'm concerned about:
  • The marquee wood - are they at angles? Whats the plan for marquee retainers? I only use them successfully at 90 degrees and anytime I've had to bend some, I've been less happy with the results. I suppose Happs marquee retainers would work here.
  • The vertical monitor and a street fighter layout is weird. I assume it would be easy enough to flip the monitor for horizontal format, or reduce the number of controls for a dedicated vertical, or build some sort of rotating mechanism.

Overall, I like that it has clean lines and looks like a modern version of a classic arcade. This design would lend itself well to being all wood or full artwork. Very nice.

Thanks for the feedback,  I'll let you know what I plan for the marquee when I've figured that out  :).  I like the look of the edges around the marquee in the model so I may have to get creative to achieve it in reality.  I will do an option for either horizontal or vertical mounted monitor, probably not an adjustable option or rotating though.

Although I don't care about them myself, I would make the center front wide enough to receive a coin door.  Many consider them de rigueur for an upright cab.  

Agreed, I will do this and make the addition of a coin door an option.

Good job for the theme. I see the Tower of Babel in the lines of the cab!  :applaud:

Tying a strong theme to a cabinets shape is a good way to design.  Metropolis has some great images to use for artwork inspiration and will really bring the cab to life.

Why vertical?  I may be wrong but, it seems that most noob's building their first cabinet go with a horizontal monitor. Like I said, I may be wrong about this.

As mentioned before both monitor aspects will be included as build options.

I like it. Looks easy enough to build, though I liked the curves. But hey, who's to say we need to follow your plans exactly anyways? Put the curves in, a coin door, make that front panel stick out a little further so the guns can go in behind, add some pinball buttons, drop a spinner on it, put a widescreen in it horizontally - the possibilities are endless.

Absolutely! builders with enough confidence to modify anything I come up with could tailor the design anyway they like.   :cheers: