Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Build an OND designed cab 'Metropolis'  (Read 329369 times)

obitus1990

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 27, 2023, 10:27:34 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Re: Build an OND designed cab 'Metropolis'
« Reply #680 on: June 07, 2020, 10:28:04 pm »
Hi, sorry if I am bringing up something that's been asked and answered already, but, have the plans been removed?  I wound up on the thread from the WIKI page and can't seem to find the actual original plans that the wiki states is at the bottom of the first post of the thread.

Thanks!

stigzler

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 11, 2022, 03:01:48 pm
  • It seemed like a good idea at the time....
    • Mago Arcade
« Reply #681 on: June 08, 2020, 01:04:13 pm »
@Stigzler I saw you uploaded a sketchbook file up awhile ago, do you still have that file? I tried to download it but 404!
Zilka

Sorry - I missed this. I no longer have that on my LAN as ResilioSync ate all of my network files. Avoid these f*****s like the plague.

However - post that link - it might be a dropbox of google sites one. I'd be interested in retrieving those plans...

CitznFish

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 26, 2023, 12:36:44 pm
  • www.subvertcity.com - Prof. Strength Slackwear
« Reply #682 on: August 01, 2020, 02:38:24 pm »
Any luck retrieving those plans?

circusfreak

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 10, 2024, 03:00:21 pm
« Reply #683 on: January 28, 2021, 02:39:25 pm »
Hey guys,

I've been taking forever!  Gosh I hope you guys are still around.

Here's a photo of the side!  This cab should be done in the next 2 weeks.

Hey ZTyler,
I was just perusing this whole thread, as I am currently using most of this cabinet design to make 2 new cabs. Just wanted to tell you your sideart is the sickest graphic I have seen in a while. Just perfect for an arcade machine. Well done!! Is there a finished cabinet to share? I'd love to see how your CP ties in.

Cheers,
Rob

ZTylerDurden717

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 07, 2024, 12:52:28 pm
« Reply #684 on: February 08, 2021, 05:23:22 pm »
Hey guys,

I've been taking forever!  Gosh I hope you guys are still around.

Here's a photo of the side!  This cab should be done in the next 2 weeks.

Hey ZTyler,
I was just perusing this whole thread, as I am currently using most of this cabinet design to make 2 new cabs. Just wanted to tell you your sideart is the sickest graphic I have seen in a while. Just perfect for an arcade machine. Well done!! Is there a finished cabinet to share? I'd love to see how your CP ties in.

Cheers,
Rob

Thanks man!  It means a lot.  Sure I'll take some photos and share it.  Truth is I ended up using 3 different artists so they look fantastic separate but there's no unifying theme like some have posted before me.

ZTylerDurden717

• Offline Offline
« Reply #685 on: February 08, 2021, 06:25:49 pm »
Attached.  The balltop on 2P is unscrewed but it's a violet/magenta on 1P.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2021, 06:47:16 pm by ZTylerDurden717 »

vaderag

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 16, 2023, 05:11:02 am
  • Building my own cab :)
« Reply #686 on: February 09, 2021, 03:37:34 am »
Looks fantastic mate, great work!

Sent from my M2007J20CG using Tapatalk

ZTylerDurden717

• Offline Offline
« Reply #687 on: February 09, 2021, 07:55:23 am »

couldn't have done it without your help!  thanks so much.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2021, 08:00:31 am by ZTylerDurden717 »

vaderag

• Offline Offline
« Reply #688 on: February 09, 2021, 07:59:02 am »

couldn't have done it without your help!  thanks so much.
Ah don't, I just used the knowledge from everyone else here! Team effort!!

circusfreak

• Offline Offline
« Reply #689 on: April 01, 2021, 02:41:42 pm »
Hey gang. I am about to finish up a pair of cabinets based on this design, but I will post a separate thread with details and more pics on them. Mine are "widebody" versions with 32" monitors...but the side profile, CP design with side wings, and 2-layered front panel with LEDs in them are taken right from this design. I really love the Metropolis original concept pics, and also the several versions you guys have posted here since.

So, the one thing that makes sense to share specifically on this thread is the CP box construction. Several posts were asking about how to access the CP, etc, and there were some ideas but I think mine might benefit people going forward.

The tough spot with this CP is that it has the cool solid front where the graphic rolls over the edge uninterrupted, and it has the side wings on it. This makes it tougher to do a normal hinged design like a lot of other CP designs.

I solved this with mine and in the process my CP is one of the most accessible I have seen. It was just a joy to work on during the wiring phase and it will be super easy to open up and tweak.

What I did:
- used a double-thickness of 3/4" hardwood (hard maple in my case) to attach to the front/bottom of the CP panel at the 5 degree bevel angle. This extra width of surface area
makes a super solid connection to the top panel. It also makes a much better material to allow the hinge screws to bite into.
- used a 30" continuous hinge (piano-hinge) to connect the bottom of the support to the bottom of the control panel box, which is then secured to the cabinet with screws.
- attached the side wings from the inside using pocket screws on the CP top and the front support hardwood piece.

The result is a CP which opens out totally flat and sits right about table height...perfect to work on sitting in a chair in front of it. The side wings make nice handles to use to open the CP. I might add some strong magnets on the inside of the CP to secure it, but it feels pretty solid just being closed with it's own weight.

Also, I moved the glass/bezel further inward to create a recessed 1 3/4" tray behind the CP for the admin buttons and to stash a pile of tokens, phone, game controller, etc. Got that piece from the 'Lakeside Arcade' thread. Very handy little feature.

Here are some pics of the CPs to illustrate.

1.5" thick hardwood makes a nice surface area to connect the CP top.

(The white panel in the back is the cover to flip up and allow my keyboard tray to come out.)

My 'Portal' themed control panel with the wings attached.

Identical CP for the second cab.

Here you can see how accessible this is. The wings are attached with pocket screws from the inside.

The recessed admin button / token / misc tray. I like how it removes some clutter from the CP surface and you can't even see the admin buttons unless you are standing right at the machine. Idea from 'Lakeside Arcade' thread.

vaderag

• Offline Offline
« Reply #690 on: April 01, 2021, 02:48:35 pm »
That's very cool. Like that.
That should be helpful to any new builders - I'm still not super happy with mine as if I want to work on it I have to take the whole thing off and I'm cramped through a few large holes
It works and I'm not gonna change it but I like how you've done that a lot

Also loving the Portal theme

ZTylerDurden717

• Offline Offline
« Reply #691 on: April 02, 2021, 10:54:58 am »
Hey gang. I am about to finish up a pair of cabinets based on this design, but I will post a separate thread with details and more pics on them. Mine are "widebody" versions with 32" monitors...but the side profile, CP design with side wings, and 2-layered front panel with LEDs in them are taken right from this design. I really love the Metropolis original concept pics, and also the several versions you guys have posted here since.

So, the one thing that makes sense to share specifically on this thread is the CP box construction. Several posts were asking about how to access the CP, etc, and there were some ideas but I think mine might benefit people going forward.

The tough spot with this CP is that it has the cool solid front where the graphic rolls over the edge uninterrupted, and it has the side wings on it. This makes it tougher to do a normal hinged design like a lot of other CP designs.

I solved this with mine and in the process my CP is one of the most accessible I have seen. It was just a joy to work on during the wiring phase and it will be super easy to open up and tweak.

What I did:
- used a double-thickness of 3/4" hardwood (hard maple in my case) to attach to the front/bottom of the CP panel at the 5 degree bevel angle. This extra width of surface area
makes a super solid connection to the top panel. It also makes a much better material to allow the hinge screws to bite into.
- used a 30" continuous hinge (piano-hinge) to connect the bottom of the support to the bottom of the control panel box, which is then secured to the cabinet with screws.
- attached the side wings from the inside using pocket screws on the CP top and the front support hardwood piece.

The result is a CP which opens out totally flat and sits right about table height...perfect to work on sitting in a chair in front of it. The side wings make nice handles to use to open the CP. I might add some strong magnets on the inside of the CP to secure it, but it feels pretty solid just being closed with it's own weight.

Also, I moved the glass/bezel further inward to create a recessed 1 3/4" tray behind the CP for the admin buttons and to stash a pile of tokens, phone, game controller, etc. Got that piece from the 'Lakeside Arcade' thread. Very handy little feature.

That is badass.

So is there a latch on the backside/bezel side of the CP so that people can't grab onto the side wings and lift up the top by accident?
« Last Edit: April 02, 2021, 10:56:31 am by ZTylerDurden717 »

circusfreak

• Offline Offline
« Reply #692 on: April 02, 2021, 01:12:02 pm »

What I did:

That is badass.

So is there a latch on the backside/bezel side of the CP so that people can't grab onto the side wings and lift up the top by accident?

Thanks!
Right now there is no latch or anything to hold it closed other than it's own weight. It's plenty stable for me. We don't have any small kids or anything so no worries about it getting yanked on. I may add some strong magnets to blocks on the underside if I feel I need it. I wasn't sure how solid the underside hinge would be, but it turned out stronger than I'd hoped.

Ond

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 18, 2024, 11:41:19 pm
« Reply #693 on: April 10, 2021, 02:22:55 am »
Ahh this project.  I'm so proud of every builder that took this and made something of it, especially those that improvised and added their own spin on the design.  My workshop is currently undergoing a makeover so I think I will spend some time on this.  The artwork I did for the original concept is lost (except for low-res images).  I want to re-do that artwork.  Every-time I redo something it has to have some improvement, something to show for lessons learned and for the loss.  I have no particular plans for the artwork other than to restore what was lost.

My other projects not progressing? Wondering where I am?  I am here.

Ond

• Offline Offline
« Reply #694 on: April 13, 2021, 09:11:25 pm »
My new restored side art.  Side 'A'.  Side 'B' with Maria next.

« Last Edit: April 21, 2021, 05:35:35 pm by Ond »

bobbyb13

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:03:17 am
  • I believe I may need an intervention
« Reply #695 on: April 13, 2021, 09:21:16 pm »
Love the katakana!

Sorry to hear you don't sleep well much.
The plague of an active mind.

Nice work here however of course!
Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools! I can fix it.

circusfreak

• Offline Offline
« Reply #696 on: April 14, 2021, 11:26:50 am »
That sideart is killer! Your original art in this thread was one of the coolest designs I've seen and what drew me into this cab design. Just amazing!

ZTylerDurden717

• Offline Offline
« Reply #697 on: April 24, 2021, 09:05:06 am »
My new restored side art.  Side 'A'.  Side 'B' with Maria next.

Excellent!

circusfreak

• Offline Offline
« Reply #698 on: May 07, 2021, 02:10:31 am »
My finished 'Metropolis' inspired cabinets, 32" widebody variants. Build thread and many more pics here:
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,165054.0.html

Thanks for OND for the design and all the other people on this thread for your versions to use as inspiration.
I just really love the side profile of this design, as well as the 'winged' control panel. Also the 2 layered door design really gives it some visual appeal, especially on a wide 32" cabinet to break up the space.

The white cabinet really pops with the LEDs in the door gap.

I am still deciding if I will add a little more graphics to it or leave as-is. I was thinking something on the top door layer around the coin door. And maybe do the CP wings and something on the speaker panel. Let me know your opinions.

Cheers.

vaderag

• Offline Offline
« Reply #699 on: May 07, 2021, 03:05:13 am »
My finished 'Metropolis' inspired cabinets, 32" widebody variants. Build thread and many more pics here:
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,165054.0.html

Thanks for OND for the design and all the other people on this thread for your versions to use as inspiration.
I just really love the side profile of this design, as well as the 'winged' control panel. Also the 2 layered door design really gives it some visual appeal, especially on a wide 32" cabinet to break up the space.

The white cabinet really pops with the LEDs in the door gap.

I am still deciding if I will add a little more graphics to it or leave as-is. I was thinking something on the top door layer around the coin door. And maybe do the CP wings and something on the speaker panel. Let me know your opinions.

Cheers.
Love it!
Love the keyboard tray - does that hide away?

circusfreak

• Offline Offline
« Reply #700 on: May 07, 2021, 08:13:03 am »
Love it!
Love the keyboard tray - does that hide away?

Yes, it collapses down and slides into the cab, and there is a flap that covers it up. If you want to see more detail on it, the thread listed on the top of my post is my project thread.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2021, 08:14:34 am by circusfreak »

Ond

• Offline Offline
« Reply #701 on: May 12, 2021, 06:59:30 pm »
Just on the quiet for Metropolis fans, shhhhh (no one reads stickys anyway  :lol ) I'm planning on beginning my own build of this design over June.  I'll review the original plans, build procedures etc.  Coming soon to a Project Announcements board near you "METROPOLIS'.

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 14, 2024, 05:47:24 pm
« Reply #702 on: May 13, 2021, 09:42:30 am »
Just on the quiet for Metropolis fans, shhhhh (no one reads stickys anyway  :lol ) I'm planning on beginning my own build of this design over June.  I'll review the original plans, build procedures etc.  Coming soon to a Project Announcements board near you "METROPOLIS'.

Don't you have 7 other projects to finish first? :)

bobbyb13

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:03:17 am
  • I believe I may need an intervention
« Reply #703 on: May 13, 2021, 01:23:04 pm »

Don't you have 7 other projects to finish first? :)

SHHHHhhhh!

He's about to reach the distraction threshold where real productivity starts so don't distract or discourage him!

I only have 5 going on at the moment myself, but I'm still an amateur.
 :lol
Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools! I can fix it.

Ond

• Offline Offline
« Reply #704 on: May 13, 2021, 07:36:38 pm »
bobby is exactly right.     :cheers:

ZTylerDurden717

• Offline Offline
« Reply #705 on: June 01, 2021, 09:20:46 am »
Hello,
Can anyone point me to where a hi-res version of the plan is? All I can find is the image in Reply #61. It has the dimensions, but the image is blurry. I see a reference to a PDF, but haven't found that either.

klopjero

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 27, 2023, 05:59:27 am
« Reply #706 on: September 27, 2021, 07:44:17 am »
Hi I've been lurking on here for a while now, and I at this point I feel confident of showing my Cab.

Things left to do:
replace current DIY spinner with a proper button hole one.
Get Monitor rotation properly working.

Thank you OND and everyone else on this forum for inspiring me.
Here is an image 

stigzler

• Offline Offline
    • Mago Arcade
Plans for an alt build
« Reply #707 on: September 27, 2021, 01:32:21 pm »
Haven't checked into this thread in a while and noticed requests for plans still going on...

I made a slightly amended build, the two main difference being a change to the CP (I didn't like the overhang, so reduced the width slightly - my cab has a modular control system) and changed the marquee box slightly (mine has an lcd in it + I also didn't like the angling down of the original).

Anyways - managed to find my old cutting plans. They're attached. Hope helpful. A rough picture of my cab for it's shape:

Oh, here's the build pics too:

https://photos.google.com/u/1/album/AF1QipOWJd0PdYYugjWDHBEbkMxkS0j0Yue5MpUr8CLM
« Last Edit: September 27, 2021, 01:35:40 pm by stigzler »

Ond

• Offline Offline
« Reply #708 on: September 27, 2021, 06:32:18 pm »
Hi I've been lurking on here for a while now, and I at this point I feel confident of showing my Cab.

Things left to do:

Here is an image

Very clean build.  Congratulations!  That's an interesting take on the screen...is it manually rotated in the cutout?
 :cheers:

Ond.

@ stigzler - Excellent work on the build plans!  Better than my originals for sure.  I understand the preference for the CP.  Thanks for sharing them here.  :cheers:

stigzler

• Offline Offline
    • Mago Arcade
« Reply #709 on: September 27, 2021, 06:49:18 pm »
@OND - no - thanks for your excellent design - it made everything else possible. I took a trip to a building full of retro arcade machines and looking at those cabs made me realise how slimline this design is - perfect for UK homes (which are typically a lot smaller than US and Ozzie ones ;)). It's also amazing just how much you can fit into it (mine has the whole of the base as a subwoofer enclosure - couple that with 2 PSUs, a sub amp, full PC and 3 displays you'd never think it was 'slimline' - bit like the Tardis).

As for the CP, it was really just a design option + also to accommodate the swappable CP panels - no slight on the original design. Look forward to seeing your final build of the 'OG' design.  >:D

klopjero

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 27, 2023, 05:59:27 am
« Reply #710 on: September 28, 2021, 12:40:34 am »

Very clean build.  Congratulations!  That's an interesting take on the screen...is it manually rotated in the cutout?
 :cheers:

Ond.

Thank you! Clean is what I'm going for. and Actually no,  It's supposed to work automaticly.

But I haven't worked out the kinks yet. it will not rotate past a certain point. any suggestions would be welcome

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:12:01 pm
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #711 on: September 28, 2021, 02:48:40 am »
It's supposed to work automaticly.

But I haven't worked out the kinks yet. it will not rotate past a certain point. any suggestions would be welcome
There are a number of monitor rotation related threads in the Automated Projects sub-forum.

We can't tell what's wrong based on this brief description and pic you posted earlier.   :dunno

Can you post some pics of your rotation mechanism and a more detailed explanation or video?
- Might be a good idea to start a thread for this issue in Automated Projects then post a link to that thread here so we can help you without derailing this thread.   ;)

Scott

ZTylerDurden717

• Offline Offline
« Reply #712 on: September 29, 2021, 10:49:47 am »

Things left to do:

Here is an image

Looks amazing.  Good job.