Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Build an OND designed cab 'Metropolis'  (Read 119910 times)

Chilifry

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Re: Build an OND designed cab 'Metropolis'
« Reply #560 on: December 13, 2016, 07:08:43 pm »
Recently finished my OND cab.  This is my first build and it took about three months to complete working primarily on weekends when time permitted.  I learned how to use a router on this project so there were more than a few mistakes made throughout the process!

Thanks to OND for sharing his plans and inspiring me to give this a shot.  Another big thanks to edge929 for sharing the details of his build.  This proved to be very helpful given that I based my build on his CP mod.
Nice work mate, looks great!

Thanks vaderag!  By the way, I saw your post about the marquee and thought I would share what I ended up doing.  I had some challenges here too and wasn't sure how I wanted to secure it to the cab.  I wanted easy access to the light behind it so I ended up buying floor tile edging (link provided), cut it to length (top and bottom) and secured them to the cabinet using industrial velcro.  Plexi fits perfectly between the two pieces and the velcro holds the edging in place really well.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Custom-Building-Products-Polished-Chrome-Anodized-5-16-in-x-98-1-2-in-Aluminum-R-Round-Bullnose-Tile-Edging-Trim-H8711BDC98/206449090
Interesting... I'm struggling to picture it tho... Would you mind providing a close up pic? At the moment after spending nearly 30 on aluminium I'm not going to use I'm leaning towards the tape option!!

Sure thing....hope this clarifies what I was talking about

vaderag

• Offline Offline
  • Building my own cab :)
« Reply #561 on: December 14, 2016, 04:01:58 am »
Awesome, thank you!

mcgagheyj

• Offline Offline
« Reply #562 on: July 13, 2017, 02:08:33 am »
Recently finished my OND cab.  This is my first build and it took about three months to complete working primarily on weekends when time permitted.  I learned how to use a router on this project so there were more than a few mistakes made throughout the process!

Thanks to OND for sharing his plans and inspiring me to give this a shot.  Another big thanks to edge929 for sharing the details of his build.  This proved to be very helpful given that I based my build on his CP mod.
Nice work mate, looks great!

Thanks vaderag!  By the way, I saw your post about the marquee and thought I would share what I ended up doing.  I had some challenges here too and wasn't sure how I wanted to secure it to the cab.  I wanted easy access to the light behind it so I ended up buying floor tile edging (link provided), cut it to length (top and bottom) and secured them to the cabinet using industrial velcro.  Plexi fits perfectly between the two pieces and the velcro holds the edging in place really well.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Custom-Building-Products-Polished-Chrome-Anodized-5-16-in-x-98-1-2-in-Aluminum-R-Round-Bullnose-Tile-Edging-Trim-H8711BDC98/206449090
Interesting... I'm struggling to picture it tho... Would you mind providing a close up pic? At the moment after spending nearly 30 on aluminium I'm not going to use I'm leaning towards the tape option!!

Sure thing....hope this clarifies what I was talking about
That looks awesome

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Ond

• Offline Offline
« Reply #563 on: July 27, 2017, 08:13:33 pm »
Not making any promises or nothing, but I have a mind to repair this thread and maybe even take some ownership of it.  What? No. Really?  Yes.

vaderag

• Offline Offline
« Reply #564 on: July 28, 2017, 03:46:43 am »
Not making any promises or nothing, but I have a mind to repair this thread and maybe even take some ownership of it.  What? No. Really?  Yes.
Sounds like a promise to me ;)
Won't help me now (too far down the road) but sure anyone starting out Would appreciate it!

Ond

• Offline Offline
« Reply #565 on: August 02, 2017, 05:18:11 am »
All step by step build images are now restored, now to fix up a few of my other project threads.....

:cheers:

Ond

jennifer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #566 on: August 02, 2017, 03:38:49 pm »
All step by step build images are now restored, now to fix up a few of my other project threads.....

:cheers:

Ond
   OR.... Get your geezerwood out that lazyboy, and get back to work. :applaud:

JudgeRob

• Offline Offline
« Reply #567 on: August 03, 2017, 09:15:18 pm »
When I originally read thorough this, I was confused about the control panel.  If maintenance is needed on the electrical components, how is the control panel opened up?

vaderag

• Offline Offline
« Reply #568 on: August 04, 2017, 02:41:06 am »
When I originally read thorough this, I was confused about the control panel.  If maintenance is needed on the electrical components, how is the control panel opened up?
Yes, I still have this question!

stigzler

• Offline Offline
  • It seemed like a good idea at the time....
    • Mago Arcade
« Reply #569 on: August 04, 2017, 03:34:34 am »
Errrr.... Recessed hinges?
« Last Edit: August 04, 2017, 03:38:41 am by stigzler »

Ond

• Offline Offline
« Reply #570 on: August 04, 2017, 05:12:33 am »
Back when I was designing this one of my rules was to keep the woodwork as simple as possible while still having an attractive looking cabinet.  I wanted the control panel to have rounded edges at the front with printed vinyl wrapped over these curves.  If you check the build steps on page 5 you should be able to see that the CP can be accessed via cut-outs in the back CP panel and matching cut-outs in the cabinet.  In fact, the CP is secured to the cabinet with just a few bolts.  You could use cable connectors, undo the bolts and lift off the CP when needed to make adjustments. Optionally if you are more confident with woodwork you could use cabinet hinges as stigzler suggests and hinge the top panel for easier access.  On one of my arcade cabinet builds I've done exactly this, I have rolled off edges and a hinged top panel.  Installing recessed spring loaded cabinet hinges can be tricky (and easy to mess up).  Accessing the controls from inside the cabinet is fiddly but much simpler to build.  If you need to regularly adjust joystick restrictor plates or tweak your controls a fair bit, then by all means go with a hinged top panel.  I hope that clears things up.

vaderag

• Offline Offline
« Reply #571 on: August 04, 2017, 11:05:53 am »
Back when I was designing this one of my rules was to keep the woodwork as simple as possible while still having an attractive looking cabinet.  I wanted the control panel to have rounded edges at the front with printed vinyl wrapped over these curves.  If you check the build steps on page 5 you should be able to see that the CP can be accessed via cut-outs in the back CP panel and matching cut-outs in the cabinet.  In fact, the CP is secured to the cabinet with just a few bolts.  You could use cable connectors, undo the bolts and lift off the CP when needed to make adjustments. Optionally if you are more confident with woodwork you could use cabinet hinges as stigzler suggests and hinge the top panel for easier access.  On one of my arcade cabinet builds I've done exactly this, I have rolled off edges and a hinged top panel.  Installing recessed spring loaded cabinet hinges can be tricky (and easy to mess up).  Accessing the controls from inside the cabinet is fiddly but much simpler to build.  If you need to regularly adjust joystick restrictor plates or tweak your controls a fair bit, then by all means go with a hinged top panel.  I hope that clears things up.

Thanks. I'm yet to build my CP - I also am doing wrapped vinyl, so a hinged top panel won't work (due to the crease of the vinyl), and while I don't intend to have to change anything (I have servostik's so should sort themselves out), I do want access in case anything goes wrong...
I have the holes at the back exactly as you suggested but don't feel that is enough...

My plan (currently) i think is to actually jigsaw a hole in the bottom which clips or magnets on (or if i'm feeling adventurous do a recess similar to the back door on the cab), meaning if maintainence is required I simply unbolt and open

My concern here is that I feel (perhaps unwarrently) that there is perhaps reason to have bolt(s) in the bottom of the CP as well to stop it lifting up in vigorous play... not sure tho

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #572 on: August 04, 2017, 11:21:15 am »
I want this thread to stay alive too. My current status:
  • Cab completely built and working. Been gaming on it for months now and it's pretty awesome. Vertical LCD and CPO has RGB everything.
  • Custom artwork by Opt2Not is complete (AMAZING) and has been delivered though I have yet to send it to the printer. Working with this guy was such a pleasure. So prossional, skilled, creative.
  • User Mike Boss is building a custom MaLa layout for me and he's incorporated some of the custom art from Opt2Not. I've seen a preview and she's a beaut!
  • T-mold is here and ready for install after the artwork application.
Otherwise it's ready to go. Hope to have the finish product pics posted soon.

Thanks again to OND for the inspiration to jump in and learn this stuff. I'm already thinking about another cab with a horizontal CRT w/ custom Metal Slug theme, assuming that Opt2Not will work with me again. And thanks to everyone else that has contributed to this thread and to the forum in general. I certainly couldn't have done it with you'se guys.
I wish this guy would update us on his cab, but he went MIA. The artwork turned out awesome, I would have loved to see it applied to the cab.

JudgeRob

• Offline Offline
« Reply #573 on: August 06, 2017, 08:37:12 pm »
My plan (currently) i think is to actually jigsaw a hole in the bottom which clips or magnets on (or if i'm feeling adventurous do a recess similar to the back door on the cab), meaning if maintainence is required I simply unbolt and open

If I were you, I would just make the whole bottom removable (ie don't glue it).  That is, if you don't want hinges.  It seems stuff like taking the trackball out to clean it would be really hard through the back panel holes...

vaderag

• Offline Offline
« Reply #574 on: August 07, 2017, 03:35:43 am »

If I were you, I would just make the whole bottom removable (ie don't glue it).  That is, if you don't want hinges.  It seems stuff like taking the trackball out to clean it would be really hard through the back panel holes...
This still has the vinyl problem tho, as the vinyl wraps round... Hence the thought of jigsawing a smaller hole (tho so much bigger than the small ones on the back)

jennifer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #575 on: August 07, 2017, 02:24:46 pm »
     If one was to go back to page 1, and the original design.... There is no reason not to raise the coindoor a bit and use traditional latches and hinges. although that would require a steel panel and may be beyond the scope of down and dirty DIY plans.

BigTx2017

• Offline Offline
« Reply #576 on: September 28, 2017, 04:28:49 pm »
Is the overall height of the cab sides 77 1/4"? Hard to tell based on the small image of the plans, but the step below it at the 76degree angle is listed at 77 14/32. That means the space between these two locations is 0.1875" vertically, and the image shows a much larger delta.

Thanks!

vaderag

• Offline Offline
« Reply #577 on: October 06, 2017, 04:45:34 am »

This still has the vinyl problem tho, as the vinyl wraps round... Hence the thought of jigsawing a smaller hole (tho so much bigger than the small ones on the back)

Well, I've come up with a 'solution' to my control panel issue (sorta) -

I cut two more chunky holes in the bottom panel - this gives a fair bit of access and is big enough to get my trackball in, yet at the same time is concealed within the unit.

I'm not convinced I want to be connecting up all my parts through those holes, so am currently trying to be inventive about how I might connect this together (just posted another thread to that effect http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,155479.0.html), but on the whole I think this will work for maintenance access

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31