Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Build an OND designed cab 'Metropolis'  (Read 329344 times)

JudgeRob

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 05, 2024, 10:55:50 pm
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,149265.120.html
Re: Build an OND designed cab 'Metropolis'
« Reply #400 on: November 25, 2015, 08:46:00 pm »
If I try it I'll probably do a hardware switch.  Same with the monitor if I do a rotating display.  I won't downplay the coolness of software, but it seems like a lot of work and potential for software errors, which is the last thing I want with my cab.

vaderag

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 16, 2023, 05:11:02 am
  • Building my own cab :)
« Reply #401 on: November 27, 2015, 05:49:05 am »
What's the biggest monitor size anyone has used with this?
I have my eye on a used Samsung 21.3" but ideally would like a little more real estate. I apprecaite this means that I will need to look at widescreen which obviously comes with it's own width issues.

I notice from the original plan the width of the bezel area is 24" so we would need to restrain it within that or expand (which shouldnt be too tricky). That said, to get significantly more real estate i'd need to be looking at a 28" screen minimum, ideally a bit bigger (tho cost wise if I were going bigger it would probably make sense to jump to a 32" TV which seems too big...)

So... has anyone built a cab with a 32" TV?
I worry it'll look naff and maybe I should just go with the Sammy

Thoughts?

JudgeRob

• Offline Offline
« Reply #402 on: November 27, 2015, 10:18:47 pm »
I just picked up a 24" today.  Seemed like the biggest widescreen that would fit.  The 28" ones were like 24.5" across.  I might consider rotating for mine, but I'm not sure it will fit when rotating...

vaderag

• Offline Offline
« Reply #403 on: November 28, 2015, 04:54:31 am »
I just picked up a 24" today.  Seemed like the biggest widescreen that would fit.  The 28" ones were like 24.5" across.  I might consider rotating for mine, but I'm not sure it will fit when rotating...

24" is way too small for me... Minimum I'm going is 27" which is equivalent to(a touch taller) a 21" 4x3.

I'm actually leaning towards 28" for the extra height.

Damned if I can find a 16:10 unfortunately so looking at that or still thinking of the 21" Sammy... Just not sure

stigzler

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 11, 2022, 03:01:48 pm
  • It seemed like a good idea at the time....
    • Mago Arcade
« Reply #404 on: November 28, 2015, 06:36:46 am »
If you can, I'd definitely try and get hold of a 16:10. Took w while here in the UK, but the extra height worth it imho.

vaderag

• Offline Offline
« Reply #405 on: November 28, 2015, 07:23:42 am »
If you can, I'd definitely try and get hold of a 16:10. Took w while here in the UK, but the extra height worth it imho.

Where in the UK did you find one? Looks like a £200+ premium for one at which point may as well get the next size in 16:9, no?

stigzler

• Offline Offline
    • Mago Arcade
« Reply #406 on: November 28, 2015, 10:58:33 am »
I picked one up 2nd hand off ebay fro under £50. Can't remember size - maybe 24" - filled bezel space, anyway:

vaderag

• Offline Offline
« Reply #407 on: November 28, 2015, 11:04:16 am »
This may be a dumb question, but do you remember what you search for? I've tried 16:10 but it doesn't handle the search term well... :(

JudgeRob

• Offline Offline
« Reply #408 on: November 28, 2015, 08:27:43 pm »
If I were you, I would just increase the width of the boards from 24" to 26" and go with the 28" TV.  I would probably consider that now, if I didn't already make all the cuts.

vaderag

• Offline Offline
« Reply #409 on: December 01, 2015, 08:33:07 am »
Just ordered a 24" 16:10 monitor :)

One thing that I didn't spot in OND's instructions is how the monitor is fixed?
I've seen people screw into the VESA points and saw that he routed out the bezel area for the monitor to slot into, but where did the piece that has the monitor screwed into affix to?

JesterPoet

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 14, 2015, 10:33:15 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #410 on: December 03, 2015, 02:07:49 pm »
How do you all figure out the aspect ratio? I see that a lot of listings for monitors don't have it shown. Or are you all just looking on the used market (ebay, etc)?

Is the 16:10 not going to have any black space if used horizontally, or is it just going to have less?

Also, aren't there decent MAME artwork packs out there now to deal with the black bars on the sides?

I've seen people screw into the VESA points and saw that he routed out the bezel area for the monitor to slot into, but where did the piece that has the monitor screwed into affix to?
« Last Edit: December 03, 2015, 02:27:01 pm by JesterPoet »

vaderag

• Offline Offline
« Reply #411 on: December 03, 2015, 02:45:56 pm »
How do you all figure out the aspect ratio? I see that a lot of listings for monitors don't have it shown. Or are you all just looking on the used market (ebay, etc)?

Is the 16:10 not going to have any black space if used horizontally, or is it just going to have less?

Also, aren't there decent MAME artwork packs out there now to deal with the black bars on the sides?

1920x1200 is 16:10, although i found a lot did list it...

Main reason to go 16:10 is that you gain in height. It's still going to have black bars at the edge (as would 4:3 in some instances), but less, so for the same 'size' monitor you'll get a bigger picture.

My 24" arrived today and is good, although i realised (rather too late) that my existing PC monitor was 27" 16:10, so i'm going to use that instead and use the 24" for my computer monitor :)

JesterPoet

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 14, 2015, 10:33:15 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #412 on: December 03, 2015, 02:48:07 pm »
Fantastic! Thank you for the info!

1920x1200 is 16:10, although i found a lot did list it...

Main reason to go 16:10 is that you gain in height. It's still going to have black bars at the edge (as would 4:3 in some instances), but less, so for the same 'size' monitor you'll get a bigger picture.

My 24" arrived today and is good, although i realised (rather too late) that my existing PC monitor was 27" 16:10, so i'm going to use that instead and use the 24" for my computer monitor :)

Saffa

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 11, 2022, 11:53:43 pm
« Reply #413 on: December 09, 2015, 04:05:09 am »
Hi,

Are there plans with metric dimensions? The download links on the first page only have inches.
Also, the original artwork is awesome. Is it available?

Thanks!

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:01:08 pm
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #414 on: December 09, 2015, 04:51:48 am »
Welcome aboard, Saffa.   ;D

Stigzler has offered some (slightly modified) interim metric plans while Ond works on updating the official ones.

Dunno if this is helpful, but due to the errors in the original plans, drew up my own metric ones at the bottom of the page, here:

https://sites.google.com/site/alienarcade74/sub-projects/cabinet-design

Alterations mainly around the Marquee and obviously the CP area, but should be amendable.

Scott

vaderag

• Offline Offline
« Reply #415 on: December 09, 2015, 05:51:30 am »
Hi,

Are there plans with metric dimensions? The download links on the first page only have inches.
Also, the original artwork is awesome. Is it available?

Thanks!

Also, i found that if you download the original plans in autocad and open in the web viewer it allows you to go along each measurement and get the metric size :)

vaderag

• Offline Offline
« Reply #416 on: December 30, 2015, 02:55:38 pm »
Just getting all the bits in for my build and I have a couple of questions...

1) What size router flush router bit have people used? I just ordered one and it seems tiny... wondering if it's too small.

2) For the monitor bezel and 45 degree chamfering bit is mentioned... I was thinking about this - surely that leaves rounded corners? How do you make it so that the corners are straight to match the monitor outline?

3) On the step for the rear panel, which cut the hole in the panel - why not just use the whole panel as a door (saving cutting and time?) Is it in some way used for stability?

Thanks in advance :)

stigzler

• Offline Offline
    • Mago Arcade
« Reply #417 on: December 31, 2015, 02:49:47 am »
Stability. Without it, the cab could shear.

vaderag

• Offline Offline
« Reply #418 on: January 06, 2016, 02:34:04 pm »
So, the castors I ordered for my build have just arrived and I think they might be too big... I ordered with the weight in mind but they're 100mm diameter and i think 50mm is suggested from memory...

Anyone used 100mm ones?
I presume they'll work but i'll need to move them in a bit and have the floor a bit higher so that they're not so visible?

stigzler

• Offline Offline
    • Mago Arcade
« Reply #419 on: January 06, 2016, 03:16:42 pm »
10cm is likely a bit surplus to requirements. I'd just take the hit and get smaller ones in...

vaderag

• Offline Offline
« Reply #420 on: January 06, 2016, 05:04:59 pm »
10cm is likely a bit surplus to requirements. I'd just take the hit and get smaller ones in...

You're totally right. Ordered some 50mm ones... teach me to buy late at night ;)

New question... anyone in the UK found a good alternative to Bondo for filling over the countersunk screw heads? Seems to be pretty pricey over here as not really available but by the same token want something that works well!!

stigzler

• Offline Offline
    • Mago Arcade
« Reply #421 on: January 06, 2016, 06:51:53 pm »
Funny that - that was one of my "bads" during my build. I used wood filler for this - bad mistake - expanded after the paint job - now got lots of annoying bumps. :(

Put it down to experience.

Isn't Bondo just a car filler? Sure you should be able to get some decent filler reasonably priced. Bit of a faff though if you got lots of countersunk heads - either work really fast or mix often :)

I did use flexible caulk for other fill jobs (cabinet panel joins etc) and this seemed to work perfectly well. Wouldn't mess about "bondo'ing" these

vaderag

• Offline Offline
« Reply #422 on: January 07, 2016, 03:49:21 am »
Funny that - that was one of my "bads" during my build. I used wood filler for this - bad mistake - expanded after the paint job - now got lots of annoying bumps. :(

Put it down to experience.

Isn't Bondo just a car filler? Sure you should be able to get some decent filler reasonably priced. Bit of a faff though if you got lots of countersunk heads - either work really fast or mix often :)

I did use flexible caulk for other fill jobs (cabinet panel joins etc) and this seemed to work perfectly well. Wouldn't mess about "bondo'ing" these

Well that's my other question... Bondo do a wood filler as well! So I wasn't sure even if it's the car filler they used or their particular brand of wood filler...

It's funny how these seemingly small things can keep you up at night ;)

stigzler

• Offline Offline
    • Mago Arcade
« Reply #423 on: January 07, 2016, 12:32:01 pm »
No idea. OND's yer man - he seems to love Bondo.  ;D

vaderag

• Offline Offline
« Reply #424 on: January 07, 2016, 12:48:16 pm »
Well, i found a bit of time to do some research earlier and have ordered a tin of "Davids Isopon P38S Easy Sand Filler"
Name is a load of gobbledygook to me, but apparently it's similar, good, and i've found other people who have used it on MDF with success... so lets see!!

stigzler

• Offline Offline
    • Mago Arcade
« Reply #425 on: January 07, 2016, 01:36:43 pm »
Ah! Yeah - I've used that  - absolutely brilliant results. As per here:

https://sites.google.com/site/alienarcade74/sub-projects/conrtol-panel#TOC-Mini-Trackball-Module

You should have no dramas. Build thread?

vaderag

• Offline Offline
« Reply #426 on: January 07, 2016, 01:52:23 pm »
Ah! Yeah - I've used that  - absolutely brilliant results. As per here:

https://sites.google.com/site/alienarcade74/sub-projects/conrtol-panel#TOC-Mini-Trackball-Module

You should have no dramas. Build thread?

I have a thread set up ready to be my build thread. I still don't have the wood yet tho!!

Need a dry day so I can have it delivered without it soaking through since water + mdf = doom!!

LiquidFlame

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 13, 2016, 05:27:09 pm
« Reply #427 on: January 12, 2016, 11:58:10 am »
I just got done reading this entire thread, and I'm so glad I found it. Thank you so much to everyone that has put all this time and effort into this. I can't wait to get started, but I'm really debating on cutting everything myself or sending the CNC files to my local machine shop that I've worked with before. It's winter here now, so I can't work in the garage cause it's to cold. I really like building things with my hands, but the urge to start this now is pretty overwhelming, I'll have to see how much they charge.

I have a bunch of questions swimming around in my head, but I'll just start of with these few.
  • Going of of the PDF plans it looks like the measurements of this cab are the following: H: 75.25" W: 25.5" D: 23.25" Am I correct?
  • What is the difference between the METROPOLIS_ARCADE_CAB-ACAD2000 and METROPOLIS_ARCADE_CAB-ACAD2004 files
  • If I read everything right the monitor that was planed for this is a 23" Widescreen, so 1920x1080 correct?

stigzler

• Offline Offline
    • Mago Arcade
« Reply #428 on: January 12, 2016, 12:26:31 pm »
There are CNC files?

LiquidFlame

• Offline Offline
« Reply #429 on: January 12, 2016, 01:29:59 pm »
There are CNC files?

As far as I know .dwg & .dxf files can be used/easily converted for use for CNC machines. I could be wrong though.

stigzler

• Offline Offline
    • Mago Arcade
« Reply #430 on: January 12, 2016, 02:19:22 pm »
Yeah they can. We could do with all OND cab related files putting in one place...

vaderag

• Offline Offline
« Reply #431 on: January 12, 2016, 02:21:00 pm »
Yeah they can. We could do with all OND cab related files putting in one place...

Agreed.
For me tho, part of the fun (and satisfaction) is having the project to build myself from scratch.
Also - i'd need to adapt as using a 27" monitor, so widening the whole thing by a chunk

LiquidFlame

• Offline Offline
« Reply #432 on: January 12, 2016, 02:48:45 pm »

I got all the files from Ond's first post where it says "CLICK ME FOR PLANS"

LiquidFlame

• Offline Offline
« Reply #433 on: January 12, 2016, 02:49:32 pm »

Agreed.
For me tho, part of the fun (and satisfaction) is having the project to build myself from scratch.
Also - i'd need to adapt as using a 27" monitor, so widening the whole thing by a chunk

So the plans are made for a 23" Widescreen (1920x1080) monitor then?

stigzler

• Offline Offline
    • Mago Arcade
« Reply #434 on: January 12, 2016, 03:17:59 pm »
Oh yeah! That link's a treasure trove :)

I can't remember what size montior in mine, but those dimentions look familiar. Couldn't you just check those plans and then check monitor sizes?  ???

The cab's 60cm wide if that's a help.

vaderag

• Offline Offline
« Reply #435 on: January 13, 2016, 11:41:26 am »
Okay guys... there were a few requests for this, and since I couldnt find them and I wanted them for myself I have pulled together the plans with metric dimensions.

You can download it here:
http://www.apjgriffiths.com/shared/METROPOLIS_ARCADE_CAB-CENTIMETRES.png

All measurements are in CM.
For those interested, I went though each measurement on the original DWG with A360 viewer and then updated them on the PDF in Photoshop.

I hold no responsibility if something is off - I plan to double check everything when I'm building and may round up/down some of the sizes as I go along. Also I will be altering the width on mine to accomodate a wider monitor.

Anyway - there you go - hope someone finds them helpful!

stigzler

• Offline Offline
    • Mago Arcade
« Reply #436 on: January 13, 2016, 12:48:41 pm »
Great contribution. Another UK builder too. Good work. :)

vaderag

• Offline Offline
« Reply #437 on: January 16, 2016, 08:46:30 am »
I'm just finalising the plans for my build and have a quick question.

My monitor is bigger, so i'm widening the whole build, but want to keep the bezel the same size ... this isn't a problem, but my question is, how do people who have built this find the monitor height
I have two options, i can either reduce both top and bottom height so that the monitor still sits centrally, or i can maintain the original height of the base of the monitor and reduce the bezel height on the top side...

Just in case i'm not clear... on the original build the monitor hole is 30.3cm, with a 15.35cm bezel above and below.

My monitor is screen is 37.2cm high (inc bevelled bezel) and I'm debating on whether
a) to maintain the 15.35 below and reduce the top to 8.4,
or
b) whether to maintain even on top and bottom by going both at 11.9

Obviously this will have an effect on the viewing height and the look of the thing, with a) maintaining the original viewing height but b) being more geometrically appealing

It's only a few CM so probably isn't the end of the world either way, but just wondered what people felt?

EDIT: Also, in terms of the width, by the time i take my bezel into account on the monitor then unrouted will be only about 1.5cm on either side - do you think i should leave a bit more slack?
« Last Edit: January 16, 2016, 08:52:29 am by vaderag »

stigzler

• Offline Offline
    • Mago Arcade
« Reply #438 on: January 16, 2016, 09:14:39 am »
I moved the monitor placement upwards. It felt more ergonomically correct, trying to leave the player as 'upright' as possible, rather than having to stoop - bit like the DSE ideas of the top of your monitor being level with your eyes. Think it feels more comfortable

However, depending on what aspect ratio monitor you've gone for, this does leave a gap below. As it happens, the 'ugly' space led to my filling it with a cheap 7" lcd to display game info and controls. Looking back, I wish I'd have put two in now. You can see the idea here:

And yeah, 1.5cm does sound a little thin - asking for trouble really. I'd aim for at least an inch.

vaderag

• Offline Offline
« Reply #439 on: January 16, 2016, 09:30:54 am »
Neat idea! Where does the LCD pull the info from (and what does it show?)

I think that's a good plan - for now i'll stick with the original at the bottom then and reduce the top accordingly, but before I cut it i'll assess and see if i feel like it needs to be a bit taller...
I'm on a 16:10 27" monitor, so have a bit more height than a 16:9