Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Build an OND designed cab 'Metropolis'  (Read 329629 times)

brihyn

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 31, 2020, 04:29:27 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Re: Build an OND designed cab 'Metropolis'
« Reply #200 on: June 27, 2013, 02:13:09 pm »
Thanks. I assume that's without a pc, correct?
I had all of the LED's, coindoor, random old computers, the CP was a slickstick I bought years ago, and found a 23" monitor online for something like 100, so I know my total was way outta whack.

Chapel

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 24, 2022, 06:58:52 pm
  • RetroFan
« Reply #201 on: June 27, 2013, 02:14:49 pm »
Sorry yeah no pc I had one given to me by a friend

stigzler

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 11, 2022, 03:01:48 pm
  • It seemed like a good idea at the time....
    • Mago Arcade
« Reply #202 on: June 30, 2013, 04:37:32 pm »
Sorryto repeat a question, but there seem to be a few people following these plans now - how have people got on with the door hinge situation? (see above)

Chapel

• Offline Offline
  • RetroFan
« Reply #203 on: June 30, 2013, 04:49:50 pm »
Not sure if you saw my earlier post. Well I used a piano hinge, routed in slightly on door then attached to frame but I chose not to route a rebate in frame, I just used the piece I cut out of back as the door and attached lengths of wood moulding along inside of frame, kinda the easy way out.

I'm sure you want to try to do it per OND's plans, I just thought for me it was above my capabilities.

Chapel

I can post better detailed pics if you'd like

stigzler

• Offline Offline
    • Mago Arcade
« Reply #204 on: July 03, 2013, 06:53:10 am »
Thanks Chapel, but rebates been cut now in good faith about there being a way to do this! Just got to find it :)

Chapel

• Offline Offline
  • RetroFan
« Reply #205 on: July 03, 2013, 06:57:13 am »
No problem, good luck to you, can't wait to see how it works out

Chapel

Chapel

• Offline Offline
  • RetroFan
« Reply #206 on: July 07, 2013, 11:04:32 pm »
Small Update, got the Monitor Bezel Done and installed in cab as well as the Speaker Panel. Shelf for PC cut and installed also Patched screw holes, little bit of sanding done, holes for Door lock and Power outlet cut.

Next up is the Control Panel!

Chapel.

stigzler

• Offline Offline
    • Mago Arcade
« Reply #207 on: July 11, 2013, 08:26:58 am »
Looking like neat work. :)

Using chipboard too - easy to work with? Cheaper than MDF?

Following with interest

Chapel

• Offline Offline
  • RetroFan
« Reply #208 on: July 11, 2013, 08:46:03 am »
Thanks, not sure what chipboard is this stuff I got at Home Depot was labeled as 5/8" MDF. 20 bucks a sheet of 4x 8.
It's easy enough to work with, just gotta be careful with corners as they tend to get damaged easy.

Chapel

GernBlanston

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 11, 2016, 05:53:06 am
'Tis a VERT!
« Reply #209 on: July 22, 2013, 03:09:52 pm »
I've been holding back a bit hoping someone will go before me as I'm completely stymied regarding artwork but I owe you'se guys an update so here goes.

Here's (below) the cabinet as it sits today.  I still need to mount the wheels and volume control, and wire the CP and coin door and a few other "small" tasks (heh).  I'm happy to be moving away from painting at this point though, which started off being a frustration but ended up being more fun toward the end because I was getting good and repeatable results out of my setup.  This was my first time working with HPLV and I'm glad that I took the time to try it out.

ARTWORK. I have a few hundred to spend on artwork design (not printing, design work only) and it feels like this might buy me a slightly better-than-average Photoshop design using existing vectored characters and backgrounds and such but nothing custom, but I won't know until I start actually dealing with the art dudes.  FWIW here, I'll be open to suggestions from the designer regarding color scheme and t-molding color and such.  I'm planning on getting CPO, marquee, and sides for sure, and maybe the bezel and/or something with the kickplate too.

There appear to be several guys building this cabinet—probably double or triple the number of people posting updates in this thread even.  Is there anyone else that is farther along with the design work and such?  I wish that I would have been able to commission the artwork before I painted the whole cabinet black (it's pretty ominous as it sits today) but I couldn't make the timing work and had to do something, so I grabbed a quart of BLACK and here we are.

Thanks yet again to OND for the cabinet design.  I'm trying to do it justice here, man!

-Gern

« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 06:07:44 pm by GernBlanston »

Ond

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 18, 2024, 11:41:19 pm
« Reply #210 on: July 22, 2013, 08:26:19 pm »
You've done a mighty fine job Gern! It's great to see the design come to life in your hands.  I think you're right about a few more folks are building this than posting.  If the number of PDF plan downloads is anything to go by.  I'd love to help you with the artwork but even on commission I don't have the time.  Some simple bands of color for side and CP art would look great against the black.  I think sometimes people (including me) give in to the urge to over complicate cabinet artwork with all manner of intermixed themes and complexity.  Some of the best art is simple with clean spaces of color.  I've mentioned it before but look to examples by Knievel for what I mean.

I encourage you others who are building this to contribute to the thread particularly because I will not be around BYOAC for the next few months as I need to focus 100% on other missions.  Help each other to get to the finish line.

This project has given me the most satisfaction in terms of the arcade cab hobby in the last few months and I haven't been near the workshop!  Build an arcade machine to please yourself first and foremost (and enjoy with your mates when they come around) it shouldn't be a beauty contest.

All the best fellas - Ond

CoryBee

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 21, 2023, 07:12:25 pm
  • Bopity Boopy
« Reply #211 on: July 23, 2013, 10:26:48 am »
I admit to downloading your plans a long while back when I first started messing around with the idea of building my first arcade. I had no intention though to build this exact cabinet but I did however use it as a reference to get an idea in my head of how an arcade comes together, structurally at least. It gave me something to go off of in my head, and for that I am very very grateful Mr OND.

:cheers: :cheers:

GernBlanston

• Offline Offline
« Reply #212 on: July 23, 2013, 11:44:28 am »
I encourage you others who are building this to contribute to the thread particularly because I will not be around BYOAC for the next few months as I need to focus 100% on other missions.  Help each other to get to the finish line.

If there are any specific questions about how I did something, potential alterations (hello giant marquee), or requests for pictures of anything specific, let me know and I'll try to answer and help if I can.

-Gern

Chapel

• Offline Offline
  • RetroFan
« Reply #213 on: July 23, 2013, 11:53:23 am »
Hi Gern,
could you explain your painting process and materials used? I have just started my first coat of oil based primer, and could use some tips since this is my first cab I've painted(done counter top laminate in the past).

Thanks

Chapel

GernBlanston

• Offline Offline
« Reply #214 on: July 23, 2013, 08:35:22 pm »
Hi Gern,
could you explain your painting process and materials used? I have just started my first coat of oil based primer, and could use some tips since this is my first cab I've painted(done counter top laminate in the past).

Thanks

Chapel

Absolutely. I think that I'll start a new thread about what I learned along the way, what I'd do differently, what I screwed up, etc. Maybe a video on the HPLV painting because I wish that I would have had a more dumbed down version before I started.

Gern

stigzler

• Offline Offline
    • Mago Arcade
« Reply #215 on: July 24, 2013, 08:37:05 am »
Great work, Gern! Looking good.

I, too would welcome a tutorial on painting.

Why not design your own side art? I'm looking at this on mine - brief detials below (think I'm gonna go without the system logos). Will cost around Ł50 at local vinyl printers:

https://sites.google.com/site/alienarcade74/project-definition#TOC-Side-Panel-Artwork

Keep on posting those updates! All my wood's cut and ready to assemble, but now got pre-installation PC anxiety! System's gotta be tip top before I fit.

ppv

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 16, 2020, 03:08:56 pm
  • The cheap@ss gamer
« Reply #216 on: August 12, 2013, 10:00:00 pm »
I was planning to build my first (and probably only) full cab around a 22" Crt tv. But the small footprint of yours has won me over and will get my self an 19" LCD and follow your plans. Thanks for all the really hard work on this :notworthy:
Doing arcades, the cheap@ss way!
First Project : ttp://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,151071.0.html
Next one : The Token Muncher [urlhttp://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,135417.0.html[/url]

ppv

• Offline Offline
  • The cheap@ss gamer
« Reply #217 on: August 16, 2013, 03:30:18 pm »
I have a question to those who have almost completed their build. Have you stuck with the given dimensions for the control panel? If so, is it comfortable for two adults to play side by side?

I put together a mockup of the panel with my controls and it seems to me that all that would be missing for accommodating my wide self and a friend would be 6 inches. Would this added width jeopardize the stability of the build?

Thanks!
Next one : The Token Muncher [urlhttp://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,135417.0.html[/url]

Chapel

• Offline Offline
  • RetroFan
« Reply #218 on: August 16, 2013, 06:18:56 pm »
Hi PPV,

I kept the control Panel at 29 inches per the build and that is more than enough room for two adults
A lot of the original 2 player integrated panels are as small as 23 inches. But go with whatever is comfortable for you. I wouldn't think an extra 6 inches would look bad.

Chapel

ppv

• Offline Offline
  • The cheap@ss gamer
Re: Re: Build an OND designed cab 'Metropolis'
« Reply #219 on: August 18, 2013, 03:47:17 pm »
Hi PPV,

I kept the control Panel at 29 inches per the build and that is more than enough room for two adults
A lot of the original 2 player integrated panels are as small as 23 inches. But go with whatever is comfortable for you. I wouldn't think an extra 6 inches would look bad.

Chapel
Cool. I think i'll try a full sized test CP just to be sure. If possible, I would like to avoid my cab looking like an albatross! :p

EDIT: Just did a quick PDF of the building instructions, for those who would want to tackle this build.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 09:56:28 pm by ppv »

Chapel

• Offline Offline
  • RetroFan
« Reply #220 on: September 09, 2013, 07:23:52 am »
 Still plan on getting sideart when I can afford it and need to tidy up the wiring but its finally Done!

Thanks again Ond,

Chapel

stigzler

• Offline Offline
    • Mago Arcade
« Reply #221 on: September 13, 2013, 07:03:54 pm »
Chapel, dude - Brilliant!!

You've also persuaded me to paint the inside of my cab.

Where d'ya get the Marquee done?

Chapel

• Offline Offline
  • RetroFan
« Reply #222 on: September 13, 2013, 07:11:05 pm »
Thanks, I just used a flat black rustoleum spray paint
For the inside.   

I got the Marquee and control panel from www.gameongrafix.com
Formerly mamemarquees.com

Chapel

peckcbr07

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 22, 2016, 08:00:09 pm
« Reply #223 on: September 16, 2013, 10:10:46 pm »
Awesome thread here.  Cant wait to get started on my build!  But is anyone else having trouble opening the pdfs from the first post?

stigzler

• Offline Offline
    • Mago Arcade
« Reply #224 on: September 17, 2013, 05:41:42 pm »
Cheers Chapel,

Sadly here in UK - so would envisage shipping from US for a Marquee as prohibitive

hmmm.. more research!

grippie

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 10, 2022, 03:07:35 pm
  • Genesis Does
    • Optimus Meatron
« Reply #225 on: September 20, 2013, 01:57:54 pm »
This has been the best thread so far! I've been reading for a while on the site getting ready to build my own cab (just bought a house with a huge garage so I can start my build!!!)

One thing that could make this a little bit easier to read for us Yanks is the conversion of the fractions. There are a lot of 8/32 and 16/32. It's best to reduce them down to the base fractions so it would be 1/4 and 1/2 respectively. I'm throwing this into my CAD system so I can see how I may want to modify and noticed this. Measurements like 22 - 31/32 make my inexperienced woodworking hands start to shake a little :dizzy: Rounding it up to 23 inches makes everything fit like a glove.

Thanks for starting this great post OND, and everyone else who have contributed ideas. It's close to what i was designing and I can't wait to post my project in the coming months on the announcement page!

Chapel

• Offline Offline
  • RetroFan
« Reply #226 on: September 20, 2013, 02:05:15 pm »
Welcome Grippie & Peckcbr07,

Looking forward to seeing your updates!

Chapel

GernBlanston

• Offline Offline
« Reply #227 on: September 21, 2013, 07:59:04 pm »
Just checking in. I'm still here. I'm wrestling with button selection at this point but think that I'm finally ready to move on.

I also have a decent budget for artwork design and printing but have no idea what to expect regarding what to expect yet. We'll see.

Will keep y'all posted.

-Gern
« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 09:47:58 pm by GernBlanston »

peckcbr07

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 22, 2016, 08:00:09 pm
« Reply #228 on: September 23, 2013, 09:30:23 pm »
Thanks chapel.  And gern...good stuff.  Cant wait to see pictures of yours.

On a side note does anyone know why those pdfs arent working on page 1 post 1?  Gives me an error of "cannot open".    Maybe someone can host on an external site and post the link here?  Anxious to get started!

ppv

• Offline Offline
  • The cheap@ss gamer
« Reply #229 on: September 26, 2013, 01:19:56 pm »
They work  fine for me, both in Acrobat or SumatraPDF.

Toasta

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 29, 2023, 10:06:02 am
« Reply #230 on: September 27, 2013, 07:28:50 am »
I was wondering if anyone knew the angle of the marquee. I've looked through the drawings and I can't make it out.

And thank you for posting Metric diagrams.

eds1275

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:43:03 am
  • Rock and Roll!
« Reply #231 on: October 05, 2013, 11:48:39 am »
I was looking at this design, and I think that if you were going to incorporate guns into it, you could push the lower front in a few inches and have the part that juts out with the coin door stay near the front. Then you could hide holsters on the inside, if that makes sense... here's a photo to illustrate.

stigzler

• Offline Offline
    • Mago Arcade
« Reply #232 on: October 06, 2013, 02:06:39 pm »
Just a quick update on my modular variation of this design. Some update pics:

Racing against the winter now! No garage or workshop, so gotta try and fit in CP Panel Routing, sanding and spray painting before the weather cometh!

This project really needs to end!
« Last Edit: February 20, 2014, 04:22:38 pm by stigzler »

stigzler

• Offline Offline
    • Mago Arcade
« Reply #233 on: October 06, 2013, 04:21:27 pm »
I was wondering if anyone knew the angle of the marquee. I've looked through the drawings and I can't make it out.

And thank you for posting Metric diagrams.

Toasta - dunno if this may be of help: https://c1a1c6d4-a-62cb3a1a-s-sites.googlegroups.com/site/alienarcade74/sub-projects/cabinet-design/cutting%20plan%20overview.png?attachauth=ANoY7cqq5Fq6dn4dU3wzBHO0pvi1cLAzHj6fCl7yw3Ri_SgaVC51o1vuUMkztO26uZn6Fpn97So79ecG-uu1mH9_-Ju3Ft_2ErMDUbbKo6dBH2c0ZFpadY63WBc9eZ3upnHHUApNludsTQD5JY-F1j5BQgt-eGKRFiy51hPzPQOOwjAuMbT--cz9b8JCuLeR5BAqOcTRuFXkNb5vRH7zsRrvcOMsKMy8K7pNfHW-40Qfh8uqJh_rV3ujzv23JQxwt7nTRWjlEtpAsITEI0cFQbvdP0-y1bE0hA%3D%3D&attredirects=0

I did redesign a bit of the marquee, but can't recall how - thank I added two horizontals to 'face off' the angled marquee or something - anywhos, you can check/compare/investigate this here:

https://sites.google.com/site/alienarcade74/sub-projects/cabinet-design

Hope this helps

« Last Edit: October 06, 2013, 04:36:33 pm by stigzler »

Batapotamus

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 31, 2021, 11:56:11 pm
« Reply #234 on: October 15, 2013, 10:15:42 pm »
Hi... Just a heads up that I am attempting to build this cabinet also. A very big thanks to Ond for going out of his way for providing this extremely useful information as I have never attempted anything like this before.

So far I have the sides and base done. I will post pictures when I get the chance too however I have been totally enjoying the experience so far. ;D

Ond

• Offline Offline
« Reply #235 on: October 17, 2013, 05:45:31 pm »
Welcome Batapotamus ( what a cool name  :lol)  Did you know I'm a fellow Aussie?  (Melbourne).

Good luck with your build, I'm around the forum again and will be watching your progress.

Great updates from guys building this cab, and I love the innovation and add ons like stigzler's CP.

Congratulations on finishing your cab Chapel it turned out GREAT!

:cheers:

Ond

Batapotamus

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 31, 2021, 11:56:11 pm
« Reply #236 on: October 17, 2013, 11:43:23 pm »
Hey Ond..... I'm in Melbourne too :)

I've started a thread in Project Announcements http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,135150.0.html if anyone wants to take a look.

I got the name years ago when I used to play in Bands. Had the name Bat and when a few too many kilos started getting put on one of my fellow band mates yelled out "Look... it's a Batapotamus " Name stuck since then  :cry:

Toasta

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 29, 2023, 10:06:02 am
« Reply #237 on: October 19, 2013, 02:38:08 am »
Thanks stigzler.  I've actually checked out that build before.

stigzler

• Offline Offline
    • Mago Arcade
« Reply #238 on: November 03, 2013, 03:42:50 pm »
Just another quick update:

Cab built! Design turned out pretty nice - thank OND. Only remaining prob is the recessed door on the back, think I'm gonna have to end up using external hinges.... Anywhoos, a pic:

Bit crappy; taken with my old phone.

All (!) that's remaining now - fill, sand, paint (paint..paint from what I've read), sideart, wire, play! :)

Cheers again OND for a nice looking design.

Ond

• Offline Offline
« Reply #239 on: November 26, 2013, 04:34:37 pm »
I've been spending time on the artwork I intended for this cab....getting close to a sneak preview now ;D
« Last Edit: November 30, 2013, 10:11:31 am by Ond »