Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Need some help from the auto-rotating monitor experts...  (Read 20442 times)

DNA Dan

• Guys.. we're not talking gold bars here
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 02, 2017, 11:39:00 am
Re: Need some help from the auto-rotating monitor experts...
« Reply #40 on: March 17, 2012, 02:29:12 am »
Actually I think I am going to use a linear actuator on a mini bartop I am planning to build. I also think I am going to use an axle with bearings.

darthpaul

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 23, 2022, 07:34:53 pm
  • Join, It's your duty
« Reply #41 on: March 17, 2012, 11:53:37 am »
I'm curious to see how you are going to do that since I have a few of those laying around waiting for the next project.
"You don't know the power of the Dark Side"
Automated Cabinet
Nintendo Pi
PiCubed

DNA Dan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #42 on: March 17, 2012, 12:59:41 pm »
I think as long as the rotation aparatus is silky smooth, not too much force should be required to move it with a simple ball joint anchored in the direction of travel. The trick is getting an actuator that is small enough for the small case size, but with a long enough throw. The distance of the movement decreases with decreasing the radius of the attachment point, however that greatly increases the amount of force you need to apply. I have a specific location I want to mount it for my design. Turns out they are on sale at www.pololu.com It isn't cheaper than the motor approach, but I am going for simplicity with this build. No motors or friction tensions involved.

RandyT

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 03:33:28 pm
  • Friends don't let friends hack keyboards.
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #43 on: March 17, 2012, 01:50:18 pm »
I built a rotary mechanism for a 3D display a few years back.  Used a geared motor with soft rubber wheel against a shaft held with "pin" bearings and it worked great.

A tiny motor can move a lot as long as the monitor is free moving, and the entire assembly is "geared" properly.  Just adjust the ratio between the drive wheel and the part it is driving against so that the power of the motor is sufficient, and it will work.  Obviously, the smaller the motor, the slower one would be able to turn the monitor, but that's something which needs to be decided by the builder.  The simplest device I can think of is a round piece of MDF used as a monitor mount, with a shaft going to two bearings acting as an axle.  This will turn very easily. Then use a small DC motor with a drive wheel (a softer skateboard wheel modified with some epoxy putty comes to mind as a possibility) positioned against the round monitor mount (wheel). Then use two limit switches which break the circuit to the motor when the monitor is in the desired position.  This is how physical limit switches work in industrial machinery.  Obviously, reversing the polarity of the motor will send it in the other direction.  It shouldn't be too difficult to figure out how to wire the resulting mechanism to a manual switch, or controller for automated use.  I can probably dig a little deeper into the wiring end if there's interest.

RandyT

DNA Dan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #44 on: March 17, 2012, 06:57:57 pm »
The simplest device I can think of is a round piece of MDF used as a monitor mount, with a shaft going to two bearings acting as an axle.  This will turn very easily.

That is precisely what I had in mind. Looking for "light duty bearings" the flange mount typically only has 2 holes.
http://www.thebigbearingstore.com/servlet/the-1067/1-fdsh-2%22-Light-Duty-Two/Detail

That might be strong enough, but I was wondering if you think the 3 or 4 hole flanges are necessary? Also, these aren't "light duty" type bearings, they have thicker grease in them, do you think this is too much drag? Such as these: http://www.thebigbearingstore.com/fourboltflangebearing.html

Sorry for the hijack Nitz, just drop any questions if need help.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 06:59:32 pm by DNA Dan »

nitz

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 24, 2015, 07:57:29 pm
« Reply #45 on: March 17, 2012, 07:27:09 pm »
No problem at all, I'm enjoying the discussion...even if most of it is over my head. ;)

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 08:00:17 pm
  • <insert personal text here>
« Reply #46 on: March 17, 2012, 08:01:59 pm »
The simplest device I can think of is a round piece of MDF used as a monitor mount, with a shaft going to two bearings acting as an axle.  This will turn very easily.

That is precisely what I had in mind. Looking for "light duty bearings" the flange mount typically only has 2 holes.
http://www.thebigbearingstore.com/servlet/the-1067/1-fdsh-2%22-Light-Duty-Two/Detail

That might be strong enough, but I was wondering if you think the 3 or 4 hole flanges are necessary? Also, these aren't "light duty" type bearings, they have thicker grease in them, do you think this is too much drag? Such as these: http://www.thebigbearingstore.com/fourboltflangebearing.html

Sorry for the hijack Nitz, just drop any questions if need help.

I'm using a similar model minus the grease zerk for another application but those are fantastic bearings.  If I was doing an axle mounted monitor I'd go with a four hole just because I'd probably be working with a substrate that would need the added support. 

DNA Dan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #47 on: March 17, 2012, 09:03:59 pm »
I'm sure I could put some lighter weight grease in there if the drag seems excessive. I agree the 4 hole seems like a better strategy especially if there is some wobble in the rotation.

Do you think 6 seconds is too long for a rotation switch? The pololu linear actuators are nice because they have built in potentiometers for feedback if used with the JRK modules. Plus they're ~30% off right now.

DNA Dan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #48 on: March 17, 2012, 09:53:17 pm »
If I can get the double flange bearing with an axle shaft working it might be cheaper to just slap a sprocket on there with some chain and drive it directly. I could then get a motor with feedback position (how's that working out for you Jimmy?)

What I am trying to accomplish is a system that eliminates the need for limit switches and a tension type aparatus.

I just realized you have to center the rotation no matter how balanced or unbalanced the monitor is on the center point. Reason being is the bezel will be off in L/R or T/B if you offset the rotation to balance it. Basically you need to counterweight the aparatus once it's completed. I didn't have this issue the first time I did this because the mount was completely centered on the monitor and balanced perfectly. I am going to use a smaller monitor that has built in speakers I can cannibalize for sound which was a "leaner" type style, not mounted on a VESA compliant monitor stand. I am also going to make it "inset" in the disk to decrease the depth of the cab and make the bezel gluing easier.

I think I am in love .... http://www.robotmarketplace.com/store.html  Excellent place for the mechanical parts/gears/etc.

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #49 on: March 17, 2012, 10:23:20 pm »
Dan, kinda spitballing based on what you're saying but if you just use a second flangette locking collar bearing behind the first one spaced, oh, maybe 6 to 8 inches back and I would think that would take enough of the stress off the center collar to get your rotating smoothly w/out a counterbalance.  I think the $8 for a second bearing would be worth the trouble even compared to the price of free for a thick-ass peice of rusty iron you can bolt onto the ass of the axle to balance it out.

I like the linear actuator for rotation but I still think that a direct driving servo would be easier and faster.  I think 6 seconds would start to get one your nerves after a while.  The whole point is to get this as unobtrusive as possible and 6 seconds can be a long time, just ask a bull rider.  It's an untested theory but for $40 bucks the GWS Giant Servo should have the ass to do a CRT rotation condsidering it pushes 30kg at 6v.  Save you some dough over linear too.  When I do this I'm going to mill a collar that I can screw directly onto the servo output so I don't loose power through an actuating arm.

<edited to include example servo and adjusted cost> 
« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 10:52:30 pm by Le Chuck »

TopJimmyCooks

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 01:18:39 pm
« Reply #50 on: March 18, 2012, 01:37:37 pm »
@DNA Dan:  the pololu motor feedback system is a quadrature setup, so it's really designed to give the actual speed under load v/s programmed speed for robots.  No positive position which is what we would be able to use,and what you get with a stepper motor, or to a lesser extent, with servo.  I'm not doing anything with it. 

DNA Dan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #51 on: March 18, 2012, 07:16:20 pm »
That sucks. So when they say "The jrk 21v3 motor controller is a highly configurable brushed DC motor controller that supports four interface modes: USB, logic-level serial, analog voltage, and hobby radio control (RC). The controller can be used with feedback for closed-loop speed or position control, or it can be used without feedback as an open-loop speed control."  

What exactly does "position control" entail? You can only offset values based on load that the board is receiving from the motor? The servo and stepper motors have their own dedicated boards, I assume with more logic chips on them.  It doesn't look like they support command line scripting for the stepper motors, just the DC motors and servos.

TopJimmyCooks

• Offline Offline
« Reply #52 on: March 19, 2012, 11:39:43 am »
It's been a while.  I have the SMC board, not the Jrok.  I understood that the software could give position by counting quadrature pulses, but since my system, rather than being a low lash geared setup, was a friction wheel with limit switches, I surmised that counting 64 pulses (or whatever it was, can't remember, but it wasn't a big number) per rev would not work well for positive position with all the other factors.  Pulses may be acceptable once multiplied up by gear ratio, but the friction aspect/any wheel spin messes it up for me.  It's relative positioning, but not positive positioning in the way you get with a stepper. 

kahlid74

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 01, 2021, 12:42:56 pm
  • Gaming for a better future!
    • GamersAnon
« Reply #53 on: March 19, 2012, 12:13:48 pm »
Quick question, how do I mount the shaft to the rotating monitor?  I saw on Ond's he used a metal contraption but I'm not to familiar with what part that would be.  I've looked at a bunch of parts but can't seem to find one that would make sense.

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #54 on: March 19, 2012, 01:06:31 pm »
Floor flange to VESA should suffice. Centering will take some work because center on a lot of mounts doesn't result in a centered rotation.

DNA Dan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #55 on: March 19, 2012, 05:14:49 pm »
Something like this http://www.vxb.com/page/bearings/PROD/Kit8299

or like this: http://www.robotmarketplace.com/products/0-HUB21225.html (This is probably what I am going to use.) I like the inset in wood approach because you will have a solid surface to which you can mount fiberboard for the monitor bezel to conceal the monitor/wood interface. I didn't do this with my first build and it was a real pain to glue a floating piece around the monitor's edge by itself.

Regarding the JRK board: You think if I used a chain and sprocket I could use this? There should be no slippage.

Centering: You should center the shaft based on the SCREEN. Don't center it by the weight distribution. When you rotate it, you want to have equal spacing in the bezel all around.

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #56 on: March 19, 2012, 05:28:26 pm »
Good links, Dan, I like both of those better than the threaded floor flanges.  Thanks  :cheers:

DNA Dan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #57 on: March 19, 2012, 06:24:18 pm »
I'm telling you, that robot marketplace has some really good products for the mechanicals. Check out the sprocket section. Lots of custom sizes. (I am in no way affiliated with them, just stoked I found them!)

TopJimmyCooks

• Offline Offline
« Reply #58 on: March 19, 2012, 10:34:09 pm »
A well fitted drive shaft gear plus a motor shaft gear would be the best for positioning measurement.  A tight chain would be second best but I think it would work.  just build in an adjustable motor mount to set the chain tension.  If the motor is say, 50 to 1 geared with the 64 pulse per motor shaft rotation, and you use the jrock board then you can register 3200 pulses per full rotation, that's stepper motor territory.  should work fine, especially since pololu software can brake the motor at rest 100% like a servo.   

kahlid74

• Offline Offline
    • GamersAnon
« Reply #59 on: March 20, 2012, 10:31:31 am »
My stepper motor has an 8mm shaft, but I can't find any pulley's with that bore.  Any of you have any ideas?  8mm is right about 5/16's but no one seems to have them for pulleys.  I found gears for them, but no V-Belt pulleys.

Also, if I were to take a 1/2" bore what do you think would be a good way to "enlarge" the shaft on the motor from 5/16" to 1/2"?  Are there metal collars somewhere I can use?

DNA Dan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #60 on: March 20, 2012, 01:06:53 pm »
On a shaft that small I would use the timing pulleys if you can fashion one on the motor to mate it up with.

http://www.robotmarketplace.com/products/timing_pulleys_main.html

You're going to be hard pressed to couple those two. If you have a drill press you could drill out the 1/2" shaft and either slip or thread the 8mm shaft.

kahlid74

• Offline Offline
    • GamersAnon
« Reply #61 on: March 20, 2012, 02:19:13 pm »
On a shaft that small I would use the timing pulleys if you can fashion one on the motor to mate it up with.

http://www.robotmarketplace.com/products/timing_pulleys_main.html

You're going to be hard pressed to couple those two. If you have a drill press you could drill out the 1/2" shaft and either slip or thread the 8mm shaft.

The problem with timing belts is you can't adjust the size.  So literally I'll have to create the mechanism the size of the belt and then get a tension-er.  With the V-Belt I've found an adjustable V-Belt that can do what I want. - http://www.amazon.com/Powertwist-Power-Twist-V-Belt/dp/B001BQDS8I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1332267529&sr=8-1

Perhaps then I should use gears.

Also, trying to find a Floor Flange/Die Cast hub with a 3/4" bore is quite challenging.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 02:27:32 pm by kahlid74 »

DNA Dan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #62 on: March 20, 2012, 03:07:08 pm »
I think the belts with the teeth on them would be okay as long as the motor was able to be adjusted once the belt is worn in. Beyond that, there should be very little slack that develops in the belt with the speeds we are talking about. The rotation isn't a super fast RPM, it's more of a properly geared/torque issue. I am going to attempt the feedback motor for positioning, so I want something that has no possibility of slippage, which would be a sprocket. I just hope there isn't too much slack from the teeth once they are in the chain. I don't know whether this is better than the toothed belts in this regard. Although a toothed belt can slip, as long as there is some tension on the belt I think they are pretty solid and perhaps just as good as a chain drive.

The drawback to the belt is the size is fixed like you say. You should however be able to find one in the size you need to meet the mechanic design. In the long run, this may be an issue if the belt is no longer made. So maybe the old chain/sprocket stuff is more likely to be around in 10 years?I dunno, both designs seem to be industry standards that aren't going away.

For your 3/4" flange, I would buy the 5/8" one and drill it out. You only need to gain 1/8"
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 03:08:53 pm by DNA Dan »

TopJimmyCooks

• Offline Offline
« Reply #63 on: March 20, 2012, 03:37:18 pm »
My stepper motor has an 8mm shaft, but I can't find any pulley's with that bore.  Any of you have any ideas? 

8mm drill.  can't get it at Home Depot but Grainger, McMaster, any real hardware store, even stateside.

"enlarge" the shaft on the motor from 5/16" to 1/2"?  Are there metal collars somewhere I can use?

It would be called a bushing.  That would be hard to find in that ID/OD - probably fastest to have one cut for you at a machine shop out of brass or aluminum.

The problem with timing belts is you can't adjust the size.  So literally I'll have to create the mechanism the size of the belt and then get a tension-er.  With the V-Belt I've found an adjustable V-Belt

Tensioning is best achieved by having an adjustment to the motor's distance from the axle rather than trying to have an exact belt length.  A powertwist usually goes on a 3/8" sheave/pully for woodworking equipment use.  They're designed to slip a little rather than positive grab all the time.  not recommended. 

Also, trying to find a Floor Flange/Die Cast hub with a 3/4" bore is quite challenging.

It's a standard NPT size, not a Home depot item but a real plumbing/gas supplier would have a bin of them.  It would be for 3/4" ID pipe, not od, though.  3/4" OD not sure there is such a thing if that's what you meant.  (like a 3/4" rod used as an axle.)

I think the belts with the teeth on them would be okay

Those are usually called gilmer belts.  They are hard to spec gears for but if you have any old inkjet printers they often have small ones, perhaps could be doubled up.  For this application you can shorten one by cutting 45 degrees on each end (aligning the teeth) and taping it back together.  Don't know the tape used but many of them are made with tape splices from the factory.  EditAll tape would work if you can find some. 

DNA Dan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #64 on: March 20, 2012, 04:28:15 pm »

Those are usually called gilmer belts.  They are hard to spec gears for but if you have any old inkjet printers they often have small ones, perhaps could be doubled up.  For this application you can shorten one by cutting 45 degrees on each end (aligning the teeth) and taping it back together.  Don't know the tape used but many of them are made with tape splices from the factory.  EditAll tape would work if you can find some. 

The belts are nice, but the gears for them are pricey and don't come in the size I want. I will be using the geared pololu motor maybe 100:1 with feedback so the chain system I need can just be 1:1 or slightly better. I think my cab now has the higher gear ratio with the friction setup and it's a little overkill.

kahlid74

• Offline Offline
    • GamersAnon
« Reply #65 on: March 20, 2012, 09:29:45 pm »
Thanks Top Jimmy.  My Axel/Shaft is 3/4" diameter so I need ID bore to be 3/4".

So if I move to gears where is the best place to pick up an 8mm gear for the motor and a 3/4" gear for the shaft?

Also, what drill bit would I use to bore a 3/4" hold in a 5/8" or 1/2" Die cast hub/Floor Flange?  I'm assuming I'll have to drill it since no one seems to make one of 3/4" ID bore.

TopJimmyCooks

• Offline Offline
« Reply #66 on: March 21, 2012, 06:56:31 am »
Here's a flange for a 3/4 OD rod. 

http://www.mcmaster.com/#structural-framing-floor-flanges/=gr9z9p

on the gears, those are large sizes so they'll be pricey.  Boston gear or mcmaster carr. 

kahlid74

• Offline Offline
    • GamersAnon
« Reply #67 on: March 21, 2012, 09:57:08 am »

on the gears, those are large sizes so they'll be pricey.  Boston gear or mcmaster carr.  

Okay hot Giggity Giggity that site is the beeznees.  I like to think I've got pretty good Internet Search skills but how in the world did I miss this site?  So They've got my floor flange, kicking.  They also have 5/16" pulleys.  So if I roll the pulleys the next question comes down to creating a tension-er for the belt system.  Where would I even start with this?  I'm going to do some searching to see if I can find some example but any Suggestions you guys have would be awesome.

What about this tensioner - http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/FENNER-DRIVES-Selfadjusting-tensioner-2ZRT8
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 10:16:28 am by kahlid74 »

TopJimmyCooks

• Offline Offline
« Reply #68 on: March 21, 2012, 11:58:56 am »
Think more like sheet metal and make it yourself.  look at the alternator bracket on your car for ideas. 

kahlid74

• Offline Offline
    • GamersAnon
« Reply #69 on: March 21, 2012, 01:35:00 pm »
Think more like sheet metal and make it yourself.  look at the alternator bracket on your car for ideas. 

I don't think that will work because I'm using the power twist belt.  It's not flat on the bottom of the belt but instead jutted.  So I would be worried about the outgoing jut hitting an alternator bracket.  Also, I just don't have a workshop where I can easily work with Sheet metal.

I'll go with the tensioner I posted before and we'll see how it goes.

TopJimmyCooks

• Offline Offline
« Reply #70 on: March 21, 2012, 04:18:59 pm »
I may not have explained well enough why you don't need both an adjustable length belt system and a tensioner.  I looked at that tensioner, it's 75$.  This seems crazy out of proportion for the job at hand.  mount the motor on a hinge and let the weight of the motor provide the tension.  I think that mcmaster rod flange was $25 plus shipping.  You're going to have more cash in hardware than in a display at this rate.  I think you've jumped the shark.  If your budget for rotation is $500, go read ond's thread ~page 7.  two pillow blocks is a better solution.  direct drive is better.  with a belt you'll lose your positive positioning and you'll be back to limit switches.  Consider before placing those orders Dude.  All my rotation hardware was $65 including a dedicated usb motor controller, after I sold some spares on to others. 

Can you tell its been a ---smurfy--- day for me?

kahlid74

• Offline Offline
    • GamersAnon
« Reply #71 on: March 22, 2012, 09:53:37 am »
I may not have explained well enough why you don't need both an adjustable length belt system and a tensioner.  I looked at that tensioner, it's 75$.  This seems crazy out of proportion for the job at hand.  mount the motor on a hinge and let the weight of the motor provide the tension.  I think that mcmaster rod flange was $25 plus shipping.  You're going to have more cash in hardware than in a display at this rate.  I think you've jumped the shark.  If your budget for rotation is $500, go read ond's thread ~page 7.  two pillow blocks is a better solution.  direct drive is better.  with a belt you'll lose your positive positioning and you'll be back to limit switches.  Consider before placing those orders Dude.  All my rotation hardware was $65 including a dedicated usb motor controller, after I sold some spares on to others. 

Can you tell its been a ---smurfy--- day for me?

No worries man.  I come here to get help and look for cool ideas.  Some stuff I'm all hands on and others I'm not.  Stuff like this is not my specialty of strong suit so where as for you to design a system to do what an auto-tensioner would do, I would prefer to save the time I would spend bumbling on something that was half ass and go with a rock solid part.  The door hinge is a cool idea but I know this would work the best.  I also had a 50% off coupon with grainger from a buddy at a machine shop so I got it for $35 with free shipping.

So here's the thing, I've gotten a bunch of great information but when it comes to moving 30 lbs at 45" across the consensus from all the motor experts on various forums I've been trolling say I need a metric ton of horse power.  So lots of oz*in torque.  To go with Gears like OND I would need a stepping motor with north of 1000 oz*in torque or a massive gear box.  Stepping motors/gears of that nature are insane expensive and big/clunky and want a lot of juice.  So, I'm just buying parts now to experiment.  As far as I'm concerned this is all throw away to me understanding how to actually build this right.

If it works, awesome.  If it doesn't, no big deal.  I'm at about $100 on parts right now.  Building the networking and virtualization of data centers, my job has put me in touch with a lot of people from many different fields.  I just called in a bunch of favors and got a lot of parts for either cost or %50 so for me it was a fun way to experiment.

In the end, I could have been smarter with what I purchased but honestly, I just want to learn this stuff and what better way to learn than just dive in and learn by trial and error.

DNA Dan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #72 on: March 22, 2012, 03:43:50 pm »
You've been warned, it's an addicting hobby! I am already planning my second...

nitz

• Offline Offline
« Reply #73 on: March 25, 2012, 07:48:10 pm »
Pulling this back to the original topic for just a moment...I got around to setting up the motor today and it worked great!!! :cheers: I can't believe how easy it was...I just needed a push in the right direction.

Now I've just got to learn the ins and outs of the software and slap together my LCD, wood, and motor! ;D

Thanks again guys!

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #74 on: March 25, 2012, 08:04:38 pm »
Pulling this back to the original topic for just a moment...I got around to setting up the motor today and it worked great!!! :cheers: I can't believe how easy it was...I just needed a push in the right direction.

Now I've just got to learn the ins and outs of the software and slap together my LCD, wood, and motor! ;D

Thanks again guys!

Shame on you for not posting a pic or video with this great news.  What a frickin tease. 

Glad it's up and running.   :applaud:

DaOld Man

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 13, 2023, 12:03:14 am
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
« Reply #75 on: March 25, 2012, 08:09:14 pm »
I agree...
 :applaud:

nitz

• Offline Offline
« Reply #76 on: March 26, 2012, 12:52:04 am »
Shame on you for not posting a pic or video with this great news.  What a frickin tease. 

:lol Well, there's not much to see as all I did was wire up the motor and make it run. You better believe I'll be doing a project thread once I get some actual monitor rotation happening though. ;)

kahlid74

• Offline Offline
    • GamersAnon
« Reply #77 on: March 28, 2012, 09:39:04 pm »

:lol Well, there's not much to see as all I did was wire up the motor and make it run. You better believe I'll be doing a project thread once I get some actual monitor rotation happening though. ;)

Way to go man!  Post some pics for the rest of us to see!

kahlid74

• Offline Offline
    • GamersAnon
« Reply #78 on: March 29, 2012, 02:24:01 pm »

on the gears, those are large sizes so they'll be pricey.  Boston gear or mcmaster carr. 

Hmm, so after closer inspection upon the received part (which I didn't really look on the page) the smallest OD floor flange was 1".  So these don't work.  I need 3/4" OD.  Any other ideas?

kahlid74

• Offline Offline
    • GamersAnon
« Reply #79 on: March 30, 2012, 10:39:23 am »
So here's a question, how do I get the shaft through the bearing?  Or better yet, how do I get the bearing on the shaft?  I've got a 3/4" OD Keyed shaft and a 3/4" Bore Pillow block bearing.  I can kind of get the edge of the shaft into it and if I push it goes in but not very far.  All jokes aside does anyone have any good ways of how to insert the shaft say a foot or two into the bearings?