Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: I know it's possible...  (Read 3683 times)

rhoelsch

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 18, 2018, 08:13:16 pm
  • That...that thing's operational!
I know it's possible...
« on: September 25, 2003, 03:45:57 pm »
I've asked this before(very sorry--it caused more confusion than anything)...Howard said it's possible but I couldn't get any details.

Is it possible to hook up my arcade controls to both an IPAC and a hacked PSX pad? (preferably without having to disconnect anything when switching between them)

How would I handle the grounds and connections, exactly?  Just can't seem to visualize it, and don't wanna fry anything in the process...is there a thread someone can direct me to?

Thanx!
Now witness the power of this FULLY OPERATIONAL Mame machine!

DeathMonk

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 03, 2015, 02:01:12 pm
    • MameStation.3
Re:I know it's possible...
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2003, 03:58:23 pm »
I don't have any experience in doing it, but I suppose that you could "daisy-chain" them..

Now with cup beer holders!

gnateye

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 05, 2011, 11:22:36 am
  • 4 cabs and counting!!!
    • natty's arcade
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2003, 04:11:50 pm »
i think this is the same as a dc controller and ipac which has been covered a few times, search for that for exact details, but basically, you have 2 sets of wires attached to the controls with diodes soldered onto every wire to stop he flow of electricity (i think) do a search for that it should help

rhoelsch

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 18, 2018, 08:13:16 pm
  • That...that thing's operational!
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2003, 06:02:16 pm »
Searched for diodes (who knew?) and from what I gather this is what I need to do (please confirm or deny before I fry something useful):

Leave my grounds connected as they already are.  (I have a set of controls already wired to the IPAC and one already hacked to a PSX pad-not currently sharing grounds, of course).  Take the wires I've got connected to my "NO" connecters and just connect a second one to each.  Connect these new wires to the appropriate thing (2nd pad or IPAC 2nd player).  Now, I have to take the 2 different ground loops I have and basically attach a switch to them to either accept the IPAC current or the PSX's ground current.  I then just have to flip a switch for what ground (and therefore controls) I want to have activated.

Am I close?  (Yeah, I know I didn't mention soldering a 2nd psx pad, etc.)  Any caveats?
Now witness the power of this FULLY OPERATIONAL Mame machine!

eightbit

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 07, 2019, 07:38:11 pm
  • My cab is never done...
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2003, 09:21:40 am »
Searched for diodes (who knew?) and from what I gather this is what I need to do (please confirm or deny before I fry something useful):

Leave my grounds connected as they already are.  (I have a set of controls already wired to the IPAC and one already hacked to a PSX pad-not currently sharing grounds, of course).  Take the wires I've got connected to my "NO" connecters and just connect a second one to each.  Connect these new wires to the appropriate thing (2nd pad or IPAC 2nd player).  Now, I have to take the 2 different ground loops I have and basically attach a switch to them to either accept the IPAC current or the PSX's ground current.  I then just have to flip a switch for what ground (and therefore controls) I want to have activated.

Am I close?  (Yeah, I know I didn't mention soldering a 2nd psx pad, etc.)  Any caveats?
Since no one else is answering I'll answer. I've never tried it. That might work but I think it depends on the controllers. It seems like snaaaack tried that with a DC and just switching the ground wasn't enough. That was on a DC though not a ps2. If I remember the correct way to do it is with a diode on every switch, then it should work.

You should try it your way, when it works do a write up and post it here so that the next time this comes up we'll know the answer.  ;D
My statements are my own opinions. They have the value that the reader gives them. My opinion of my opinion varies between foolish and brilliant and these opinions often change with new information.