Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Game Launcher Vertical/Horizontal Mode?  (Read 2623 times)

rurdy4me

• Trade Count: (0)
Game Launcher Vertical/Horizontal Mode?
« on: June 04, 2002, 07:48:19 pm »
I went and got a program called catver sorting tool but what I'm wanting is a way to also sort games by rotation. ArcadeOS allowed you to sort games by vertical or horizontal roatation. Any way to get Game Launcher to do this?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by 1026619200 »

ErikRuud

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 05, 2021, 10:20:27 am
  • I'll build a cab for only 99.99.99!!!
    • Erik's humble video game page
Re: Game Launcher Vertical/Horizontal Mode?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2002, 07:40:55 am »
GameLauncher does not do any ROM sorting.

You can use the virtual emulator feature though to subdivide your roms however you want.  It takes a little work, but it is pretty flexible.

You would need to make copies of the mame.cfg mame.map mame.rom files that are in the glaunch/config directory.

Then you edit the mame.rom files to only have the rom names that you wish to include in you virtual emulator.

For vertical games you might create a mameV.cfg, mameV.map and mameV.rom.  The delete all the horizontal games from the mameV.rom file. Change the emulator description in the mameV.cfg file to something like Vertical Arcade Machines.  The last step would be to add mameV to the "emulators" line in the glaunch.cfg file.

I have done this to subdivide games by type.  I have virtual emulators setup for Galaxian/Galga, Pacman, Spaceinvaders, Vector games, etc.
Real Life.  Still a poor substitute for video games!       
American Laser Games Wrapper
O2em Rom Utility

rurdy4me

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2002, 09:19:33 pm »
Sorry if I sound a little craaazy but what do you mean by using the ," Virtual Emulator Feature?"

???

ErikRuud

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 05, 2021, 10:20:27 am
  • I'll build a cab for only 99.99.99!!!
    • Erik's humble video game page
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2002, 11:17:13 am »
"Virtual Emulator" is a term I picked up somewhere, I think it may have been in some of the GameLauncher documentation at one point.

By creating new sets of .cfg, .map, and .rom files, you can add other emulators to GameLauncher that it is not already configured for.  An example is O2Em, which is an Odyssey2 console emulator.  I added the .cfg, .map files to run this DOS based emulator.

By using .rom files you can create multiple configurations for the same emulator.  In your case you would have one set for horizontal games and another for vertical games.  These two set ups would be the "Virtual Emulators" because they are both MAME but they appear in game launcher as to seperate emulators.

Again, I am not sure where I came up with the term virtual emulator, it may have been in the older documentation, or on David Dribins web site, or it may have been in one of the emails that I got from David, when I was trying to figure out how to launch .bat files from GL.
Real Life.  Still a poor substitute for video games!       
American Laser Games Wrapper
O2em Rom Utility