Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Unstupid's Ms. PacMan style cocktail table... Second cocktail table underway!!!  (Read 59082 times)

Unstupid

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 08, 2021, 08:46:34 am
Building a second cocktail table.  Details in a post at the end of this thread here:
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,118297.msg1344298.html#msg1344298

Details on the first cocktail table I built:

Well I can say I'm almost done... Only things left to do are mount a service and test switch inside the coin door and order me some custom control panel artwork.  I wanted to see what the cab would look like before designing the artwork (and button color combination).  The blue and yellow buttons are just stand ins until I figure out what to use to match the control panel artwork.  Here is the pics.

You can see the white maple is a lot brighter than the original walnut colored sides

and it is heavily contrasted with the black t-molding, speaker grills, coin door and control panel

Player 1 control panel with red bubble top awaiting artwork.  I had to have the stock JLW shafts shortened by 3/4" since there are no short shaft options.  Infact I could not find any short shaft joysticks that use the 2.6"x3" (66..x76mm) bolt pattern.  Luckily I have access to a full machine shop.  :)

The refurbished coin door I bought at the 11th hour.  Gotta love original hardware.  You can see how light the wood really is.  The veneer even shows some chatoyance at the right angles.

I scrapped the idea of using a vesa mount because after decasing the monitor the LCD panel was not strong enough to support its own weight and would sag away from the table top.  Also you can see the flourscent lights used to illuminate the control panel.  Also works good to light the box when I need to work inside.  Also the spring can be seen that can hold the lid open when needed.

Not having a CRT monitor leaves lots of space inside the box.  Wires on the bottom right just hanging there are for the service and test switches yet to be mounted.  That 1 6x9 speaker really thumps inside this empty box.  A lot of bass for ~10 watts!

I slotted the holders for the frosted plexi.  You can also see the molex connectors that I like and everyone hates.  I like the fact that they are hard to take apart.  Don't want nothing coming loose when I'm going for the kill screen! :)

My custom bezel.  I ended up sanding and painting it twice because I put a screw through it when mounting the flourscent lights!  live and learn...

Here is an updated pic of the control panel with the artwork applied.

Questions.... Go!
« Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 12:13:39 am by Unstupid »

Unstupid

• Offline Offline
Re: Ms. PacMan style cocktail table... So we begin again!
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2012, 04:22:09 am »
The original first post:

It's been a couple of months now since I finished my Bartop Neo Geo System and I feel like I'm ready for my next attempt at creating something.  I don't really expect this to be anywhere near as innovative as the Neo Geo, but then again I don't expect this to be nearly as difficult either.  First of all, there are already well documented plans for the cabinet (thanks Kyle Lindstrom), which will only take minor tweaking to make it even easier to cut an assemble with a CNC machine.  The only major changes will be internal to the cab with a redesigned monitor mount assembly and tabletop hinge.  Woodwork should be non existent since I'll be using 2 sided pre-finished plywood.  And the artwork will be the standard Ms. PacMan garb that is already available.  The games will run off a 60 in 1 icade jamma board which I already have a couple of lying around.  Although I may look into picking up a arcade-sd board if the sound issues on the 60 in 1 are actually as bad as everyone says they are.  

I'll post pics when I do something interesting.... Nothing good happening yet.... Still gotta order the parts I can't make like the cp's, silk screened glass top, and other hardware parts.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 03:08:59 pm by Unstupid »

Unstupid

• Offline Offline
Re: Ms. PacMan style cocktail table...
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2012, 12:31:15 am »
Ok I got almost all the parts ordered... here is a running tally of what I ordered for the cab....

VendorItem Cost OrderedPart In
AmazonMonitor mount $10.00 xx
AmazonFan $10.00 xx
AmazonPower Supply $30.00 xx
AmazonMonitor $190.00 xx
Holland ComputerMonitor Bezel $20.00 xx
Mikes ArcadeControl Panel Tray $30.00 xx
Mikes ArcadeControl Panel Blank Pair $45.00 xx
Mikes ArcadeCabinet Levelers $29.00 xx
Mikes ArcadeControl Panel Bolts $4.50 xx
Mikes ArcadeLight Plastic $10.00 xx
Mikes ArcadeZ Bracket $22.00 xx
Mikes ArcadeCarriage Bolts coin door $2.00 xx
Mikes ArcadeSpeaker $14.00 xx
Mikes ArcadeBolt Set x3 speakers $6.00 xx
Mikes ArcadeMidway Buttons $10.00 xx
Paradise Arcade60-in-1 Jamma Board $85.00 xx
Paradise ArcadeJamma Harness $10.00 xx
Paradise ArcadeJoysticks $44.00 xx
Paradise ArcadeButtons $12.00 xx
Plywood Hawaii3/4 Finished Plywood $110.00 xx
Plywood Hawaii1 Plywood $100.00 xx
tmolding.comT Molding 1" $45.00 xx
tmolding.comT Molding 3/4" $40.00 xx
Twisted QuarterCoin door $70.00 xx
Twisted QuarterSpeaker Cover x3 $30.00 xx
Twisted QuarterCocktail Glas Clips x8 $19.00 xx
twobits.comGlass Underlay $59.00 xx
xtremegameroomTop Glass $105.00 xx
E-BayMidway Coin Door $90.00 x
Total $1129.50

The prices don't always reflect shipping costs.... like the top glass has it added it in since it significnt but the orders from mikes arcade don't have shipping added since the cost of shipping would have been spread over numerous parts... but if I went back and added shipping to the stuff I ordered it would probably be another $100.  

So we're probably around $1200 so far... hmm... I could probably buy an nice original Ms Pac Cocktail for that price...  Wife thinks an original is too ugly for the family room...  I'm hoping to make one a little more aesthetically pleasing...  If I can't I'll probably be selling it for a loss!   :-\
« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 09:13:52 pm by Unstupid »

BobA

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 11, 2018, 09:52:14 pm
  • What Me Worry?
Re: Unstupid's Ms. PacMan style cocktail table...
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2012, 02:33:17 pm »
Costs sure add up fast.  Looking forward to seeing the CNC cut parts fitted together.  :)

Unstupid

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2012, 05:50:50 pm »
So I orderd a Dell P190St for the display and got it in and it looked fine.  In fact it looks identical to the 19" Ultrasharp I already had...  But just for giggles I wanted to see what else was out there...  So I looked around and found a 19" NEC LED (AS192) that got some decent reviews. so I though I'd give it a shot...  Here is the side by side of the 2 monitors...  The Dell is on the left and the NEC is on the right...

Guess which one is going in my cab...   :D

Unstupid

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2012, 10:08:08 pm »
So I ran into a problem...  The monitor dimensions of the screen are smaller than the hole in the glass top underlay I got from 2 bits not to mention 2 bits' underlay has rounded interrior corners...  so I purchased a bezel from holland computers, and the bezel fits the monitor perfectly, but on the larger side of the bezel hole it is much larger than the hole in the underlay... so this would cause the underlay to eventually sag since there would be noting under it to support it.  So what I ended up doing is desigining a custom bezel into the 1" table top that will perfectly fit the monitor and the underlay.   Now I just have to sand, fill, sand and paint it.  I told myself that I didn't want to paint anything durring this project...  Uhh.... oh well!

Unstupid

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2012, 04:29:55 am »
You ever get that feeling where you are all alone in the room just talking to yourself?  Yes I do!  Oh well I guess cocktail tables aren't that popular...  I think you are right!  Oh well... lets just finish this documentation incase someone comes along in the future and decides they want to build one too.  Ok sounds good to me!

Anyways!  I cut all the parts for the cocktail tonight.  I was going to take video of the cut but since no one cares I figure why bother!  All you get is a photo.  :D  2 sided A-1 grade pre-finished white maple veneer plywood.  What you see if the interior surfaces of the cocktail, and all the exterior surfaces are facing down.

« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 04:51:56 am by Unstupid »

emphatic

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 03:08:23 pm
  • -"Suck it, Donny!" -"No, YOU suck it.... more".
    • Emphatic's Video Game Collection
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2012, 07:39:50 am »
I'm here, watching silently.

TopJimmyCooks

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 06, 2024, 12:19:16 pm
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2012, 09:07:58 am »
We're with you, friend. 

DaOld Man

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 13, 2023, 12:03:14 am
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2012, 10:52:44 am »
Count me in the audience!
Also, Im interested in that jamma 60 in 1 you bought, please tell us how it plays, sound and picture quality, etc.

Nimbus

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 21, 2019, 08:08:57 pm
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2012, 01:02:11 pm »
Nice looking build! :) I have built a few of these with my CNC router as well. It is really nice that the plans exist for free on the web. You usually have to modify the top piece to fit whatever monitor you use unless you are using an arcade monitor.

There are so many specialized parts and pieces that go with cocktail cabs that the price can get up there fast. Even little things like the glass clips can get pricey. However, I think that most of the cocktail cabs available online/Ebay are built like crap. If you've got a nice CNC machine and you build a sturdy cabinet, I think it is well worth building your own.

NICE JOB!!  :applaud:

abispac

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:26:20 pm
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2012, 04:14:23 pm »
I HATE YOU....actualy i dont, but i fell anvy when i see someone cutting all of theyr cabs part by cnc, i wish the shops here with a cnc machine wouldnt charge  alot, that wuold make life easy, anyway, ibeen watching silent here too, as i got an old midway upndown cab i need to restore, im about to start , but i need to get me a portable saw to fix the water damage that has at the botton. also i wondering how that monitor its going to look mounted. so keep the good work, no videos though, pictures are just fine.

Unstupid

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2012, 04:47:17 pm »
:)  Yay... I have followers!   Hahaha I was wondering if anyone was out there besided Bob... Not that I don't like Bob! 

On another note... I feel like kicking myself... I bought a couple blank control panels from Mikes Arcade and went and cut out the button holes on the router.  I cut out 1 1/8" button holes (because thats what I usually use) for the Sanwa 30mm buttons I got from Paradise Arcade Shop... You see my mistake?

Cutting steel plates on a router is not fun!  Gonna have to live with the 1 1/8" hole..  Uhh!

Stick around... The fun part is starting!

ScottoKong

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 10, 2018, 08:57:46 am
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2012, 06:38:05 pm »
Mate I'm following with interest too!

I've got friends wanting me to build them a cocktail cab so expect a message or 2 from me in the near future!

Scott

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 07:31:21 pm
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2012, 07:26:26 pm »
:)  Yay... I have followers!   Hahaha I was wondering if anyone was out there besided Bob... Not that I don't like Bob! 

Relax dude. Just because not a lot of people have replied, probably means you didn't have much to comment on. Price lists and LCD monitors don't really stir up much for conversation.
The CNC cuts are nice. Wish I had access to a CNC machine...

Anyways ---> (Read 867 times). We are out here. Keep up the progress and don't worry too much about the fame. Let the work speak for itself.  ;)

restless1

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 24, 2012, 08:48:16 pm
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2012, 08:31:55 pm »
hey unstupid would be cool if you posted the cut files from your cnc ...:)
You using VcarvePro?

Unstupid

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2012, 09:37:56 pm »
No... Mastercam.  Can you read MCX files?

restless1

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2012, 06:43:03 am »
yes I can read MCX files :) my cnc is 8' by 4' looks like a complete panel would do it too..:)

Unstupid

• Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2012, 04:29:48 pm »
You can download the MCX file here...  http://www.unstupid.com/myfiles/MsPacCocktail.zip
A few notes:

- There is no table top piece.  That was cut separately on a 1" piece of ply.  Although there is space for the tabletop on this sheet if you are ok with it being 3/4" thick
There are 5 tool changes.
1- 1/8" flat bit to drill bolt holes for the vents and speaker grills also to cut out the C14 receptacle.
2- 1/4" chamber bit to scribe the lines where i need to drill 3/8" holes with the doweling jig in the side of the plywood
3- 1/4" flat bit drill out the 3/8" holes for the dowels (using a helix bore toolpath)
4- 3/8" compression bit to cut the holes, coindoor and finally the panel edges
5- 1/8" flat to clean up the inside radiuses on any internal 90degree cuts.

« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 10:33:14 pm by Unstupid »

restless1

• Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2012, 10:30:44 pm »
thanks Unstupid ....just repairing a tach on my cnc now so the speed control can be put back on auto..
:)
those compression bits leave nice cuts huh :)
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 10:33:56 pm by restless1 »

ScottoKong

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 10, 2018, 08:57:46 am
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2012, 01:18:34 am »
Hi Guys

I'm really new to CNC routing and I think it's the only way I'll ever get around to building a cocktail cab.

Just wondering about a couple of things...

MCX - is that a fairly standard format?
And the various tool changes - are these the kind of things that your average cabinet maker would do day in day out?

THanks
Scott

Unstupid

• Offline Offline
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2012, 06:15:39 am »
MCX is the format that Mastercam stores their files in.  Different CAM packages use different formats.  You could probably say Mastercam is the defecto standard in the CAM industry since they have the largest installed base.  But you probably won't see a lot of hobbyists using it mainly because of price.  One seat of Mastercam with router pro 5axis cost us about $18,000.  Add another $5,000 for the c-hooks from Thermwood to get Mastercam to g-code for the machine and you can see why you don't see it a lot.  There are a lot of other Cam software packages that cost a lot less that may work just fine with your machine!

As far as tool changes go, pro cabinet makers would be doing tool changed as they need.  Our machine has an automatic tool changer so I can load up 4 different tools and program the machine to grab whichever one it needs to do the specific cut.

If you are interested in CNC you way want to wander over to cnczone.com and ask people there... There are people a lot more knowledgable than me over there!

Nimbus

• Offline Offline
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2012, 06:03:41 pm »
- There is no table top piece.  That was cut separately on a 1" piece of ply.  Although there is space for the tabletop on this sheet if you are ok with it being 3/4" thick
1- 1/8" flat bit to drill bolt holes for the vents and speaker grills also to cut out the C14 receptacle.
2- 1/4" chamber bit to scribe the lines where i need to drill 3/8" holes with the doweling jig in the side of the plywood
3- 1/4" flat bit drill out the 3/8" holes for the dowels (using a helix bore toolpath)

What do you mean with tool change #2? Are literally you just marking a line where the dowels will be drilled? I can't see it in the picture. Maybe you can take a closeup shot for me? And did you mean 'chamber' bit, or 'chamfer' bit?

Also what do you use to drill the dowel-holes in the edge of the boards? Do you have a machine that does this? I would like to start using dowels instead of blocks because alignment is perfect and it would save so much time.

Any help here would be awesome!

Unstupid

• Offline Offline
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2012, 08:08:22 pm »
- There is no table top piece.  That was cut separately on a 1" piece of ply.  Although there is space for the tabletop on this sheet if you are ok with it being 3/4" thick

What do you mean with tool change #2? Are literally you just marking a line where the dowels will be drilled? I can't see it in the picture. Maybe you can take a closeup shot for me? And did you mean 'chamber' bit, or 'chamfer' bit?

Also what do you use to drill the dowel-holes in the edge of the boards? Do you have a machine that does this? I would like to start using dowels instead of blocks because alignment is perfect and it would save so much time.

Any help here would be awesome!

Exactly what you said!  I had the bit basically scratch a line on the boards at the edge of the panel.  These lines will be used to accurtely line up my self centering jig (Woodcraft Here) that I use to drill a 3/8" dowel hole. 
Here youll see it scribing some lines, then a couple points I need to drill out later, then it'll do a tool change:

Here is the intro by woodcraft:

Edit... Oh yea chamfer bit is correct...   The ones we use are similar to regular router chamfer bits but there is no bearing. like this:

CNC bits almost never have a bearing.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 09:55:40 pm by Unstupid »

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 04, 2015, 10:19:10 pm
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2012, 09:46:49 pm »
Exactly what you said!  I had the bit basically scratch a line on the boards at the edge of the panel.  These lines will be used to accurtely line up my self centering jig (Woodcraft Here) that I use to drill a 3/8" dowel hole. 
Here youll see it scribing some lines, then a couple points I need to drill out later, then it'll do a tool change:

that cnc machine is just awesome...I'm convinced you work for skynet.  ;D

Nimbus

• Offline Offline
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2012, 11:30:47 pm »

Edit... Oh yea chamfer bit is correct...   The ones we use are similar to regular router chamfer bits but there is no bearing. like this:

CNC bits almost never have a bearing.

Awesome... Great idea too! I already ordered a dowel jig. I almost bought one of those dowel jointers, but they apparently don't work very well.

I already have a 45 degree insert bit that has a permanent place on my machine. It will now have another use! :)

Thanks a million for your reply and help. You just made my arcade building life a LOT easier...

Unstupid

• Offline Offline
« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2012, 11:32:25 pm »
Thanks a million for your reply and help. You just made my arcade building life a LOT easier...

That's what it's all about right?  Exchanging ideas!  ;)

Unstupid

• Offline Offline
« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2012, 11:42:38 pm »
I thought you might like this one... This was when I cut a custom bezel out of 1" plywood for the cocktail table top.
I originally did it really slow to get a clean cut with a long 1/4" bit so I sped it up (a lot) so you can get an idea of whats going on.

Nimbus

• Offline Offline
« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2012, 12:25:27 am »
I thought you might like this one... This was when I cut a custom bezel out of 1" plywood for the cocktail table top.
I originally did it really slow to get a clean cut with a long 1/4" bit so I sped it up (a lot) so you can get an idea of whats going on.

That is just redonkulous. My machine is a 3-axis that has the same spindle and an 8 tool changer, but that is where the similarities end. Most cuts are just 90 degrees unless I use an angled bit or build a crazy jig to hold the wood. I can't imagine the freedom of cutting any angle I want with such ease. (although your material depth must have to be spot-on to pull off that kind of accuracy) I already had router envy from the videos you posted in your Neo-Geo bartop build thread. Now I am really blown away.  :notworthy: The precision of the spindle moving in three perfects arcs on three axes simultaneously to end up in the corner at the perfet angle is just sick! Thanks for sharing.

Unstupid

• Offline Offline
Done.. Pics Uploaded!  :D

emphatic

• Offline Offline
Looks great! I would use washers between the JLW's and the panel instead of shortening the shaft. I would also install a Scanline generator to help the LCD display the games as nice as possible: http://wp1114205.wp150.webpack.hosteurope.de/xtcmodified/index.php?cPath=3&XTCsid=kujuikjrac0ngosnscan04j257 or: http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.php?threads/toodles-scanline-generator-t-slg-fully-assembled-v1-6.145407/

I have the SKG-3000 myself, but Toodles version seems great too when they get back in stock.

opt2not

• Offline Offline
Oh wow, that looks very clean! Good job! :applaud:

Is the coin plate just glued on there?

Unstupid

• Offline Offline

You talking about the chrome slots you insert the coin into?  If so I believe they are screwed on.  There is a slide chute behind it that is also screwed on. 

Unstupid

• Offline Offline
Looks great! I would use washers between the JLW's and the panel instead of shortening the shaft. I would also install a Scanline generator to help the LCD display the games as nice as possible: http://wp1114205.wp150.webpack.hosteurope.de/xtcmodified/index.php?cPath=3&XTCsid=kujuikjrac0ngosnscan04j257 or: http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.php?threads/toodles-scanline-generator-t-slg-fully-assembled-v1-6.145407/

I have the SKG-3000 myself, but Toodles version seems great too when they get back in stock.

I have 2 SLG 3000's that I bought for my neo bartop, but they don't work well with monitors that natively display anything other than 640x480 or 800x600 because when the monitor upscales the lines to a higher resolution it alse upscales the black lines which causes a strange banding effect.  Also the cocktail cab has the monitor in the vertical orientation so the scan lines would be running up and down... strange looking!

opt2not

• Offline Offline

You talking about the chrome slots you insert the coin into?  If so I believe they are screwed on.  There is a slide chute behind it that is also screwed on. 

No no, I mean the midway face plate.

Unstupid

• Offline Offline

You talking about the chrome slots you insert the coin into?  If so I believe they are screwed on.  There is a slide chute behind it that is also screwed on.  

No no, I mean the midway face plate.
oh yes that is just stuck on... the rivet holes are there... may look at finding the rives to match...

« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 06:13:57 pm by Unstupid »

BurgerKingDiamond

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 01, 2021, 11:12:14 am
there's nothing strange about scanlines running vertically.
-Welcome to the Fantasy Zone.

emphatic

• Offline Offline
Also the cocktail cab has the monitor in the vertical orientation so the scan lines would be running up and down... strange looking!

Just like they would be on a real CRT.  ;D Sorry, I had forgotten that you already got SLG's (too many memorable projects here). I would put it in for a quick test though, maybe you'll change your mind.  :cheers:

Unstupid

• Offline Offline
Looks great! I would use washers between the JLW's and the panel instead of shortening the shaft.

Thought about it but a couple of reasons I didn't.  One I already had the carriage bolts and finding others the right length was hard.  Two, they would have to be some pretty big washers.  I cut off about 3/4" to get the height right.   Also the travel length would have been too far.  Under the glass there is not that much room to work with and the travel distance on a full size shaft is too far, not to mention that my joystick hole is only 3/4" in diameter.  I looked all over for a short shaft joystick that had 2.6"x3" mounting holes but could not find anything.  It worked out ok in the end:

Nimbus

• Offline Offline
That turned out beautiful! It looks ridiculously clean with the Maple plywood and black T-molding. I finally got my dowel jig that you recommended, and it works GREAT!!

Where did you get those spring hinges from? That is an ingenius idea, and much better than the original version that pivoted from the side panel. No need for all of that with a nice, light LCD monitor instead of a CRT.

Again, great job!