Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: High Score Competition #85 Space Dungeon  (Read 13520 times)

jasonbar

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 30, 2023, 02:52:55 am
  • Dr. Inferno
    • The Infernolab
Re: High Score Competition #85 Space Dungeon
« Reply #40 on: February 26, 2012, 12:43:33 pm »
Does anybody else get crashes & glitches? I've seen the following on 115u2 (and MAWS is down, so I can't see if there have been updates since that rev):

1 - Corner zapper zaps even after its neighbor has been shot. Saw this only once.

2 - Game froze & displayed solid-colored flashing screens until I quit. Saw this only once.

3 - Game froze with gameplay image on screen. Of course, I had a great game--24k or so & no deaths. Saw this only once.

4 - Game doesn't redraw/refresh properly. Pieces of enemy left on screen or garbled treasure and once I even saw the exit rectangle get stuck on the screen. These graphics stay on-screen even when you change rooms--they'll wipe away if some other graphics pass over them. I see this behavior pretty frequently.

Thanks,
-Jason

PS--I was just about to call it quits on this game, & then I finally had a good run (well, a good run for me...puts me in only 4th place...tough crowd!), so maybe I'll play a tad more. I managed to see all rooms & get most treasures on level 1. 66,660

paigeoliver

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 29, 2022, 06:10:15 pm
  • Awesome face!
« Reply #41 on: February 26, 2012, 01:38:48 pm »
I have seen the leftover enemy bits quite a lot, that might be something that the original hardware did. Never seen the zap error or a frozen game.

I am running it under Mame .70.
Acceptance of Zen philosophy is marred slightly by the nagging thought that if all things are interconnected, then all things must be in some way involved with Pauly Shore.

Gray_Area

• -Banned-
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 23, 2013, 06:52:30 pm
  • -Banned-
« Reply #42 on: February 26, 2012, 02:39:52 pm »
Older MAME has weird bit artifacts appear at times, and they remain from room to room. As well, I've had major slow-downs, and what appear to be syncing glitches. Current MAME is much better. Regardless....

I am hereby decreeing this game un-worthy of remembrance, and removing it from my system.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 02:41:30 pm by Gray_Area »
-Banned-

(+_+)

• Let me splain.
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 27, 2012, 09:00:32 pm
  • For I am ]{eyser Soze
« Reply #43 on: February 27, 2012, 11:35:19 am »
Paige. 141K. I can't believe it's not butter. How in the name of pasta fazool did you do that.  :notworthy:

I just got 75K the other day and thought I'd post it on the last day and put the pressure on.
Geez, way to take the wind out of someone's sails.  :)

This plan is so perfect, it's retarded. -- Peter Family Guy

paigeoliver

• Offline Offline
  • Awesome face!
« Reply #44 on: February 27, 2012, 11:39:19 am »
I made it through all the screens on the first 3 levels.

My next best is only 99K.

Apparently it is possible to marathon this game, Twin galaxies has a 13 million score and a 4 million score. The points sure come faster the longer you play.
Acceptance of Zen philosophy is marred slightly by the nagging thought that if all things are interconnected, then all things must be in some way involved with Pauly Shore.

patbb

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 31, 2020, 07:37:38 am
« Reply #45 on: February 27, 2012, 12:01:59 pm »

Thanks to everybody who participated and shared some very useful tips.

paigeoliver

• Offline Offline
  • Awesome face!
« Reply #46 on: February 27, 2012, 12:10:19 pm »
Do I pick the next contest if nobody beats me by midnight?

patbb

• Offline Offline
« Reply #47 on: February 27, 2012, 01:28:34 pm »
Do I pick the next contest if nobody beats me by midnight?

yes

patbb

• Offline Offline
« Reply #48 on: February 27, 2012, 02:35:57 pm »
This is the participation so far.

PaigeOliver   141,365
doteater      83,480
(+_+)         75,xxx
draginit       67,445
Jasonbar     66,660
Patbb         52,950
kixfan         43,175
striderDSO   29,xxx

12 hours to go.

paigeoliver

• Offline Offline
  • Awesome face!
« Reply #49 on: February 27, 2012, 10:17:16 pm »
A few hours left, but if I win then the next game will be Up N Down.

jasonbar

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 30, 2023, 02:52:55 am
  • Dr. Inferno
    • The Infernolab
« Reply #50 on: February 28, 2012, 12:54:14 am »
Moved up a little in the ranks. 74,195.

Got all treasures & saw all rooms on level 1.

Got 45k on my first guy. And got worse & worse after that.

Next!

-Jason

kixfan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 22, 2018, 06:59:26 pm
« Reply #51 on: February 28, 2012, 02:04:37 am »
Could only muster a slightly better personal score of 58480.    For me, this game goes into the same category as Sinistar, enjoy playing but is just absolutely frustrating!    I did notice a bit of a cheat, if you call it that.   If you kill everything within a room or 2 of where you are then put yourself in front of one of the small doorways, the game can't put any other bad guys in the room except for the enforcer.   I was able to do this for about 5 minutes but at 250 a pop for an enforcer this would take forever.

paigeoliver

• Offline Offline
  • Awesome face!
« Reply #52 on: February 28, 2012, 10:09:16 am »
Now that it is all over I will share my tips.

The difficulty of the game seems to ramp up the longer you stay on a dungeon level, but I am truly not sure if it is based on time or rooms visited. It can't be based on treasure because it still ramps up even if you don't collect any.

There are 3 ways to earn points. Collecting treasure, shooting bad guys and a completion bonus for visiting each room

The treasure is a trap. More likely to get you killed than anything else. Collecting treasure takes time, taking more time causes more bad guys to spawn, which makes it harder to make it to the exit. If you drop a bunch of treasure in a room (particularly one past the first level), that room will likely end up with a bunch of bad guys in it (particularly those that track your movement), and you will drain most or all of your lives trying to recover the treasure.

On the first level I don't pick up any treasure on my first life at all. I see no point in doing so, out of 300 games I played I never once cleared the first level without dying. I begin collecting treasure on my second life. I don't revisit rooms I have already been to, I just get the ones that I see. I often complete the first level on my second life, so any treasure I grab there is a bonus.

The thief comes out beginning with level 2, at that point I pretty much stop dealing with treasure altogether, as there is absolutely no way I am going to manage to clear all the rooms on one life, and the thief will have picked most of it up anyway. Shooting the thief when he has a significant amount of treasure is likely to end up with you dying in a fraction of a second (because a bunch of enemies will spawn when he drops his load), even if you don't immediately die the room with the treasure pile will be massively dangerous and more likely to drain away your precious lives than to give you anything that you will actually make it to the exit with.

So with treasure basically eliminated as a scoring mechanism that leaves shooting enemies (which everyone should do) and visiting all the rooms. I visit all the rooms. That gives a 10,000 point bonus multiplied by the dungeon level you are on (not sure how high the max bonus is, there may not be a max bonus, which would explain the twin galaxies high score). Collecting treasure is something you pretty much have to start over on each life, but visited rooms stay visited, thus that bonus can be worked at over a period of more than one life.

I don't always eliminate the corner shooters, particularly those located on the first dungeon level in rooms that I won't be revisiting (those on the outer edge).

Outer edge rooms, particularly corner rooms, are more dangerous as your escape options are limited. I try to visit them first before the dungeon level really starts harassing me.

Now on to the next game. Up 'n Down

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=118400.0