Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: F2 is always service on Galaga?  (Read 2661 times)

Sonny_Jim

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 19, 2012, 08:39:53 am
F2 is always service on Galaga?
« on: March 03, 2012, 11:33:54 pm »
I've noticed a strange bug/issue with galaga (or any other games with service mode on the dip switch).

I'd like to use the F2 as pause, as I've already got a switch wired up to F2 I'm too lazy to drag the cab out and put another wire in.  I've disabled every control I can see for 'Service' and set pause to be F2.

Most games this works fine, but if I press F2 in a game that has a DIP switch that says "Service", groovymame oh-so-helpfully pauses the game AND toggles the DIP switch, so it goes into service mode.

I am using the Groovyarcade distro and for the life of me I cannot see where the key configs for groovymame are stored, can someone enlighten me?  I'm guessing the keycode for DIP switch service is hidden in a config file and not accessible from the menus.

The easy option would be to put another wire on the J-Pac but I'd rather not have to do my back in moving the cab again!

Ansa89

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 09, 2016, 10:40:11 am
Re: F2 is always service on Galaga?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2012, 04:54:08 am »
Here you can fond some information, they talk about an old version of mame, but it should work also on recent versions.
Earth could be the hell of another world

Sonny_Jim

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 19, 2012, 08:39:53 am
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2012, 01:26:30 am »
it should work also on recent versions
:dunno
What should work?  I see no resolution there, only confirmation that it's hard mapped to F2?

Ansa89

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 09, 2016, 10:40:11 am
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2012, 09:45:33 am »
If the game has a dip-switch for service mode, you have to recompile mame with modified "src/emu/ioport.c" (look at line 4870 or around that).
(Hoping that "src/emu/ioport.c" is the new name of "src/emu/inptport.c").
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 10:24:03 am by Ansa89 »
Earth could be the hell of another world

Gray_Area

• -Banned-
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 23, 2013, 06:52:30 pm
  • -Banned-
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2012, 02:35:00 pm »
F2 is service mode for all games in MAME.  (Hint: read about MAME.)
-Banned-