Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: I'm building my own CNC machine  (Read 21286 times)

restless1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 24, 2012, 08:48:16 pm
Re: I'm building my own CNC machine
« Reply #40 on: March 12, 2011, 12:32:42 pm »
It will wear in all the mechanical parts(also spread the lubricant) also will let you see if there is some binding since the wear-in program should make so many repetitions through the complete x y z movement of the machine multiple times!

After you run the program and it wears in the parts then you should check for any slop or parts that wore them self loose ..(these are just some of the possible reasons there are more)..

shanghaiguide

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 07, 2023, 02:37:34 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #41 on: March 13, 2011, 08:00:01 am »
Seems like a cool project.

CNC DIY kits are about 100$-200$ here in China, for the dumb ones (i.e. they don't know where they are position wise).
eg http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=7104378566

I'm guessing yours has positioning then so the motors know where they are, is that why its so more expensive?

Mach3 controllers are relatively cheap, depending what inputs you need - 100rmb ish for parallel, 500rmb ish if you use USB.

How many I/O ports are you using?
What stepper motors are you using?  the standard 57 ones?

You can get USB controllers for Mach3 here in China cheap too, which may be of interest to you.
http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=219645281 (20$) basic
http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=8826548289 (50$) basic with encoder
http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=8710079043 (180$) wireless one

I've been looking at the laser based CNC's a little, but haven't jumped in yet.

I might order the little cheap PVC based CNC.  Would be cool for doing control panels.

Also, what did you think of the book?  Amazon reviews slated it.

crashwg

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 24, 2019, 11:01:05 am
« Reply #42 on: March 13, 2011, 12:27:20 pm »
Seems like a cool project.

Thanks, I'm pretty excited about it.  Now all I have to do is decide what program to use to create the G-Code and learn how to use it!

CNC DIY kits are about 100$-200$ here in China, for the dumb ones (i.e. they don't know where they are position wise).
eg http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=7104378566

That looks like a pretty good deal.  A lot smaller than mine though.  The cutting area on that looks to be about 6" x 12" or so.  I haven't measured mine yet but I think it's around 18" x 38".  The one in your link is most likely used for engraving small parts and PCB work.

I'm guessing yours has positioning then so the motors know where they are, is that why its so more expensive?

If I understand correctly, my machine is "dumb".  Provided that my stepper motors don't "lose steps" it knows where it is but if it does lose any steps there is no feedback to tell the system.  As for the price, I'll post a breakdown here soon.

How many I/O ports are you using?
What stepper motors are you using?  the standard 57 ones?

Currently I'm only using 6 I/Os.  Each stepper requires 1 step pin and 1 direction pin.  The breakout board I'm using (C10 from kelinginc.com) has 15 I/Os.  I still have to install limit switches (1 series for 1 input) and 1 touch plate for zeroing the tool.  Other than that I don't even know what I'm going to do with the rest of the inputs.  I'm considering where to install the E-Stop currently but I'm thinking the safest place to put it would be on the power line that feeds the motors...

You can get USB controllers for Mach3 here in China cheap too, which may be of interest to you.
http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=219645281 (20$) basic
http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=8826548289 (50$) basic with encoder
http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=8710079043 (180$) wireless one

Interesting indeed.  The $50 I think would suit my needs the best.  Most of that page is unreadable to me though.  Assuming you can read the rest of the page, does it explain why it has USB and RS232 connections?

Also, what did you think of the book?  Amazon reviews slated it.

I can't totally dismiss it, heck I have a working CNC machine because of it.  The design is not great.  There were many times during the construction when I would get frustrated that parts wouldn't go together well as I had hoped.  There's no adjustability in the design.  There's no bill of materials.  There are a few areas in the book that are either missing or the wrong information is given.  It has been said by many that the book is more of an account of the authors build rather than an instruction manual (even though it is sold as the later.)  To sum up, you need to be of above average intelligence to complete this project with the instructions in the book.
If there's bees in the trap I'm catching em
By the thorax and abdomen
And sanding the stingers down to a rough quill
Then I dip em in ink, and I scribble a bit
But if it they wriggle then I tickle em until they hold still
Lemme say it again
In my land of pretend
I use bees as a mf'n pen

shanghaiguide

• Offline Offline
« Reply #43 on: March 13, 2011, 09:57:55 pm »
Thanks for the detailed replies!
Yes, the cheap kits are aimed at people doing PCB stuff.  The better ones are aluminium based and have larger footprints (and cost slightly more - usually in the 2000rmb range for DIY'ers)

You could add a rotation bed also for rotating the piece being CNC'd
eg to rotate the piece around in its Y axis, or in the Z axis.
The Y axis ones are usually referred to as A  axis
eg http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=6351134199

That controller says uses USB for power 5v, and serial for the connection.
They're made for Mach3 mainly, so works with that.  I haven't tried them out yet.  Quite a few people selling them, so I guess they seem to work, as lots of people seem happy in the comments for the shops.
You need the IO mods -  Mach3 ModIO ( http://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php?board=35.0 )
http://www.google.com/translate is semi decent for translation - may need to cut n paste though.

Here are another 2 options for controllers.

http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=2335203490  - rotation one.
http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=7372477262 - has english explanation (I like the big red emergency stop button!, those definitely need to be part of ANY cnc build ;) )

crashwg

• Offline Offline
« Reply #44 on: March 13, 2011, 11:33:07 pm »
I'm producing G-Code on my own now! 

One program (I'm not even sure program is the right term but whatever) I actually just typed out in a text editor.  What I was doing was attaching a "spoil" board to the bed of the machine so that any mishaps that may occur would mess up the spoil board which could be replaced once it's real bad.  So I would manually enter the coordinates of the hole then run my program which would make a dimple to locate the screws.

The other stuff I've done I used ArtCAM to make.  I'm really just trying everything I can find to see what might work for me...  The attached pictures are what ArtCAM let me do with an hour or so of fiddling with all the controls it has to offer.  Honestly I have no idea what I'm doing.  :P  As you'll see in the first picture one of my axes was backwards but I swapped it to cut what you see in the second picture which is colored like it is in an attempt to make it stand out more.  After a successful test of the G-Code produced by ArtCAM I produced what you see in the third picture.  Originally I was going to go with my last name but Mach3's 500 lines of G-Code trial only got me 4.5 letters in to the 6 letters.  ::)  Sooooo I figured it would be able to handle "Will" (my first name, well, technically it's William but I'm sure that would have gone over 500 lines) and decided to cut that.

Mach3's trial limitations are really putting a damper on getting into this whole CNC thing for sure.  I'm considering switching to EMC2 (which is for linux which I know nothing about) because it's free and there's no way I can afford $175 for Mach3 after the $700 some-odd I've put into building the machine...  I've already downloaded the live Ubuntu/EMC2 disc and will be trying it out tomorrow.

P.S.
The gouge in the second "test" next to the "E" is user error.  I forgot to turn the router on! :P  Fortunately I didn't screw the board down so the machine kinda just dragged it out of my hand instead of breaking something.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2011, 11:35:53 pm by crashwg »
Lemme say it again
In my land of pretend
I use bees as a mf'n pen

crashwg

• Offline Offline
« Reply #45 on: March 14, 2011, 04:36:22 pm »
So far so good with Linux and EMC2!  It was relatively easy to set up, the only problem I had with setup was when I was programming how many steps per inch were required, the machine would go twice as far as I was expecting.  It turned out that it was traveling the correct distance then when it went the other way it would go the correct distance times two leading me to believe that it was going for instance -1" to +1" when I entered 1 inch as the distance I wanted it to travel.  A confusing setting to say the least.  I figured I'd skip that setting for the time being and if things were double sized that I would fix it later but everything seems to be cutting the correct size so all is well.
Lemme say it again
In my land of pretend
I use bees as a mf'n pen

crashwg

• Offline Offline
« Reply #46 on: March 15, 2011, 06:39:07 pm »
First arcade related cut.   :P  Well, it has no particular value to the hobby but I wanted to see how cutting some 3D stuff would go so I downloaded a monochrome picture of the coin and used that to make this.  Keep in mind the only ball end bit that I have is 1/8 and even with the design being enlarged to 4" in diameter there's only so much detail it can produce.  This is a single pass and took 1 hour.
Lemme say it again
In my land of pretend
I use bees as a mf'n pen

Woodshop Flunky

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 20, 2017, 05:24:57 am
« Reply #47 on: March 15, 2011, 09:42:05 pm »
Wow!  This is really impressive work for less than two months effort.  Good job!

Complete mini arcade cabinet plans available.

crashwg

• Offline Offline
« Reply #48 on: March 15, 2011, 11:00:43 pm »
Wow!  This is really impressive work for less than two months effort.  Good job!

While if you were to remove all the time that I wasn't working on this project it would certainly have fit into two months, I started the build in Jan 2010.  Thanks anyways.  The book isn't perfect but until something better comes along (i.e. the design they're planing here) I would have to recommend the book to anyone who wants a CNC machine of this size and doesn't think they could design one themselves.

I'm having a blast seeing what this thing is capable of.  I'm definitely limited by my designing skills right now though.  Most CAM software has a fairly steep learning curve although I think I've found one of the least steep with ArtCAM.  I also need to get some proper end mills.  Right now I'm using some cheap, old router bits that I got from my brother in law that he got from his grampie's basement when he passed away years ago.
Lemme say it again
In my land of pretend
I use bees as a mf'n pen

restless1

• Offline Offline
« Reply #49 on: March 16, 2011, 11:55:31 am »
Now you can use the machine to build an even better Cnc machine :)

Now that's the problem lol!

shanghaiguide

• Offline Offline
« Reply #50 on: March 17, 2011, 09:29:23 am »
Am impressed with the output - well done!

Guess once I've finished the arcade machine I'm almost finished building, I'll have a go at making a CNC.
Would be cool to design one in CAD and have a machine do all the cutting for me  ;D

crashwg

• Offline Offline
« Reply #51 on: March 19, 2011, 12:58:39 pm »
Am impressed with the output - well done!

Guess once I've finished the arcade machine I'm almost finished building, I'll have a go at making a CNC.
Would be cool to design one in CAD and have a machine do all the cutting for me  ;D

If all the parts fit within my cutting envelope I might be able to help.
Lemme say it again
In my land of pretend
I use bees as a mf'n pen

crashwg

• Offline Offline
« Reply #52 on: March 19, 2011, 01:45:50 pm »
First Upgrade! (in progress)

It's near impossible to change bits without removing the router from it's base so I'm cutting out a clamp system that will replace the router base as a holder for the router spindle.

Here's a video of the action:

And in the pictures you'll see the first revision that I cut last night.  The next picture is the clamp that was just cut in the above video.  I just measured it now and it too is not correct.  It turns out that the end mill I'm using is not .25" but ~.239" so there's going to be at least one more revision.   

:angry:
Lemme say it again
In my land of pretend
I use bees as a mf'n pen

DaOld Man

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 13, 2023, 12:03:14 am
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
« Reply #53 on: March 19, 2011, 03:48:32 pm »
Machines building parts for machines.. isnt this the way the Terminator got started?

crashwg

• Offline Offline
« Reply #54 on: March 19, 2011, 06:26:17 pm »
Machines building parts for machines.. isnt this the way the Terminator got started?

I assure you that even though this machine doesn't always do what I want it to, it's entirely my fault for being a noob.

Speaking of which, AAAAARRGGHGHHH!  Third time was not the charm.  I did an all around comparison of the actual dims. vs. design dims. and it appears as though one of the steps along the way is adding .025" to every edge making IDs smaller by .05" and ODs larger by .05".  I'm trying to track down the culprit now with the help of the experts at the Build Your Tools forums.  Wish me luck.
Lemme say it again
In my land of pretend
I use bees as a mf'n pen

restless1

• Offline Offline
« Reply #55 on: March 20, 2011, 10:34:32 am »
See if your router has a large run-out (how much it wobbles in the collet +/-)
And you might have some backlash in your system..
« Last Edit: March 20, 2011, 10:36:35 am by restless1 »

crashwg

• Offline Offline
« Reply #56 on: March 20, 2011, 12:29:49 pm »
See if your router has a large run-out (how much it wobbles in the collet +/-)
And you might have some backlash in your system..

You know, that's very likely the problem.  The only end mill I currently have is 3/8" and seeing as though I don't have a 3/8" collet, I wrapped copper tape around the bit to make it 1/2".  Unfortunately I don't have a dial indicator to check for run-out so I'm stuck waiting for the bushing I ordered the other day to see if that fixes the problem.
Lemme say it again
In my land of pretend
I use bees as a mf'n pen

crashwg

• Offline Offline
« Reply #57 on: March 20, 2011, 04:44:09 pm »
On second thought, I don't think it is a runout problem.  Runout can only increase the diameter of the cut not make it smaller which is what I've been getting.  However, I've switched to a flute P.O.S. router bit I had lying around and it's closer to what I'm expecting.
Lemme say it again
In my land of pretend
I use bees as a mf'n pen

Yvan256

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 20, 2017, 08:35:41 am
    • Yvan256
« Reply #58 on: August 06, 2011, 11:10:16 am »
(moved to its own thread)
« Last Edit: August 14, 2011, 10:49:01 am by Yvan256 »

shanghaiguide

• Offline Offline
« Reply #59 on: November 12, 2011, 03:31:43 pm »
You don't want to share the g-code for the coin test print?

I wouldn't mind doing one on my cnc to see how well it works.

Yvan256

• Offline Offline
    • Yvan256
« Reply #60 on: November 12, 2011, 03:35:49 pm »

Also send it to Unstupid, with the Thermwood he has access to at work he'd probably be able to make a coin about 6 feet in diameter.   ;D

crashwg

• Offline Offline
« Reply #61 on: November 13, 2011, 01:36:57 am »

Sorry, I don't have it anymore.  It was just to test the machine and I deleted it shortly after cutting it.
If you want to try and replicate it what I did was used the B/W mockup coin from the coin contest page in a program called ArtCAM although I'm sure there are many programs that could do the same.

Also send it to Unstupid, with the Thermwood he has access to at work he'd probably be able to make a coin about 6 feet in diameter.   ;D

Now that I would like to see!
Lemme say it again
In my land of pretend
I use bees as a mf'n pen

crashwg

• Offline Offline
« Reply #62 on: November 13, 2011, 01:46:23 am »
While this thread is bumped, I'd like to offer my services.  My machine (I should really name it...) has been getting no attention lately and that's a shame.

As should be obvious, I am not an expert.  I have no formal training and am self taught (mostly through trial and error) in all the programs that I use.  I'm willing to try just about anything and if I can't do it there would be no charge.  Anyway, if anyone has something they'd like me to do just drop me a PM and we'll chat.
Lemme say it again
In my land of pretend
I use bees as a mf'n pen

Nephasth

« Reply #63 on: November 13, 2011, 02:22:50 am »
Have you thought about CNCing arcade related signs? I got these last year from a guy over on KLOV (haven't seen his sale thread bumped in many months). Painted them myself and gave them away as Xmas gifts.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2011, 02:24:53 am by Nephasth »

crashwg

• Offline Offline
« Reply #64 on: November 13, 2011, 03:19:51 pm »
Have you thought about CNCing arcade related signs? I got these last year from a guy over on KLOV (haven't seen his sale thread bumped in many months). Painted them myself and gave them away as Xmas gifts.

Those sure are neat with the T-Molding and all!  I might just see what I can come up with.  Thanks.

Of course I'm open to suggestions.  Preferably simple designs like the MK sign.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2011, 03:35:47 pm by crashwg »
Lemme say it again
In my land of pretend
I use bees as a mf'n pen

NiN^_^NiN

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 01, 2020, 10:28:26 pm
  • Oh yeah Baby. I put on my robe and wizard hat
« Reply #65 on: November 13, 2011, 06:00:22 pm »

Yvan256

• Offline Offline
    • Yvan256
« Reply #66 on: June 10, 2012, 02:49:26 pm »
Sorry to bump an old thread, but is your CNC machine still working? Do you have more photos of things you have cut/carved with it?

macattack

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 03, 2018, 05:35:16 pm
  • Cabinet builder to the stars!
« Reply #67 on: June 11, 2012, 01:40:47 pm »
nice progress, i see you are also using the Hitachi router as your spindle.

its great fun being able to produce things now. I built my current CNC at the end of last year. I'm now in the progress of upgrading it from a 4x4 to a 4x8. its come in real handy building the virtual pins this year, along with a lot of other bits along the way.

have fun with it.
Pm me for custom cnc needs...

crashwg

• Offline Offline
« Reply #68 on: June 11, 2012, 11:01:10 pm »
Sorry to bump an old thread, but is your CNC machine still working? Do you have more photos of things you have cut/carved with it?

Still working, yes.  Producing anything, not so much.

I haven't had a whole lot of motivation to make anything but have made a couple of random things over the past year.  The only thing worth noting is this project which I actually just brought back to life and started working on again a couple weeks ago.

About two weeks ago I posted in the BST section offering CNC services.  No bites (that I can actually produce on it) as of yet.
Lemme say it again
In my land of pretend
I use bees as a mf'n pen

Yvan256

• Offline Offline
    • Yvan256
« Reply #69 on: June 18, 2012, 03:12:07 pm »
About two weeks ago I posted in the BST section offering CNC services.  No bites (that I can actually produce on it) as of yet.

I'd love to get a panel CNC'ed, but shipping and duty fees will most likely kill the whole idea.

And since I'm also building my own CNC, the money has to go toward building my machine anyway. The list of things to do once my CNC mill is done keeps growing every month, I'm hoping to build my machine before fall 2012. The most expensive parts are already bought (router, motors) and my first few linear motion tests with custom low-cost electronics are going great (TIP120 for now, I plan on using IRLZ44 for the final version).

Santoro

• Purveyor of Shiny Arcade Goodness
  • Santoro
  • Trade Count: (+32)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 23, 2023, 07:05:04 pm
  • Boycott Quarters!!!
    • ArcadeReplay!
« Reply #70 on: July 14, 2012, 09:17:33 pm »
Freaking cool, this is.