Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: First Build - Slim Cabinet - Arcade Nebula  (Read 47054 times)

GregD

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2015, 02:26:41 pm
    • Arcade Nebula
First Build - Slim Cabinet - Arcade Nebula
« on: February 21, 2012, 03:13:50 pm »
I have begun construction on my first build.  It is a slim cabinet with a 20 Dell 2007FP IPS panel for a monitor.  The design is a mashup of the many slim cabinet projects that I have seen on this forum.  It is certainly inspired by Knievil's Evolution build as well as Alfonzotan's build.  It has a depth of 17.5" and is 24.5" in width.  I will be running Hyperspin as my front end.  The control panel will be the typical Knievil design with 3" trackball, spinner, dedicated 4-way stick, and two eight ways with 6 player buttons each.  I have ordered led strips for the marquee since I don't have a whole lot of space for the light.  I will be using 4" car speakers and a Lepai amp for the sound.  I build the cabinet from 3/4" MDO which has been great to work with.  I have run into a few problems along the way since I am not really using plans to build this.  Routinh the slot for the t-molding was one of them.  I screwed that up pretty good because my router plate was sitting a fraction of an inch lower than my router table.  It has been challenging learning how to try and get this right the first time.  I have good woodworking skills and a great shop with a cabinet saw, router table, jointer, 14" bandsaw, floor standing drill press, and even a wide belt sender.  Even with all of this it has been a challenging project.  Kudos to those of you who build beautiful cabinets with limited tools.  That takes patience and some ingenuity.  My next step is to finalize the artwork.  I have always liked the cosmic frostbite image in green.  I know it isn't very original so I am looking at doing something different.  I am having a real hard time naming the machine.  I know that it will be something cosmic so if you have any ideas for me I would love to hear them.  Anyways, here are some pictures of my progress so far.  Tonight I work on the keyboard drawer and the front door.  I have to mill up some edge banding material out of hardwood for the door since I am using MDO plywood and the edges would be exposed.  Thanks to everyone for the inspiration.

The profile

On the base with the back, top, admin panel, speaker panel, and monitor attached
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 02:50:11 pm by GregD »

Knievel

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 10, 2016, 10:29:09 pm
  • Who's up for a game of Stunt Cycle??
    • Knievel Kustoms
Re: First Build - Slim Cabinet - Not raising the bar at all.
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2012, 04:37:09 pm »
Looking good. Have heard of MDO but I haven't seen it in these parts yet.
I recently discovered Superlight MDF and I've been pretty giddy about that. Perhaps MDO is even better?

Great choice of monitor. Use them in all my builds.

No need to raise the bar, just build something you will be happy with.
Installing a couple of spinning, glowing disco balls in the sides of your cabinet may get some ooohs and aaahs from the gang here (or maybe not) but you need to make something you can live with. Have fun with it!

Ond

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:41:19 pm
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2012, 04:52:12 pm »
This is off to a good start, I was sitting here going over a few ideas for names "Cosmotron Express" or just "Cosmotron" came to mind.

:cheers:

Ond

alfonzotan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 28, 2023, 08:39:45 am
    • The Cab With No Name
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2012, 07:25:38 pm »
Pay attention to the two guys posting above, and you'll be fine.

I'm extremely flattered to see the reference to my build above, but all I did was rip off Knievel and severely test my wife's patience for several weeks.  My main accomplishment was raising the stock price of wood putty manufacturers...

GregD

• Offline Offline
    • Arcade Nebula
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2012, 07:36:05 pm »
Thanks all!   Kind of a little bit giddy because Knievel and OND replied to my post.   Them being kind of legends around here and all.  Is that strange?   HA!
« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 08:53:53 pm by GregD »

GregD

• Offline Offline
    • Arcade Nebula
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2012, 09:34:36 am »
Here is my next problem.  I didn't want to buy marquee retainer so I decided that I was just going to run a 1/4" dado on the top and bottom of my marquee box so that the two 1/8" acrylic panels that sandwich the marquee art would just slide in.  The top of the machine is removable with a couple of screws to access this.

So, no problem.  I did that and it looks like it will work.  The problem is that I planned on using t-molding on the front face of the marquee area but I cannot run the groove for it now since it will intersect the dado groove that I ran for the marquee acrylic and end up just cutting the the entire corner of the wood off.  Do you think that I can remove the "T" from the t-molding and just glue it onto the edge of the plywood?

alfonzotan

• Offline Offline
    • The Cab With No Name
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2012, 10:00:40 am »
You can try that and see how it works... might want to make a very shallow channel in the middle to help line up the remnants of the "T".

Another option:  make fake marquee retainer.  I bought a strip of this stuff at Lowe's (couple of bucks for 6' if my memory serves) and trimmed with tin snips to make two retainers.  Added screw holes, painted it flat black, and it passes for actual marquee retainer perfectly.  Cheap and easy.

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?sku=46202
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 06:52:41 am by alfonzotan »

TopJimmyCooks

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 06, 2024, 12:19:16 pm
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2012, 10:30:05 am »
Look at some T molding before you try to install it with the T leg cut off.  The molding I've used has a lot of curve out the outer part which is flattened out by the flat edge of the workpiece.  You're going to be fighting that curve without the barbs of the leg holding it in the slot. 

Here's another cheap hardware store idea:  I went to the closet section and got the hook rail that a lot of modular shelving systems use to hang from.  It worked great on my switchcade cab. 

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=113237.0

GregD

• Offline Offline
    • Arcade Nebula
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2012, 03:02:39 pm »
So I just walked the aisles at Home Depot looking for something that could be used as a marquee retainer and I had no luck.  Looks like I am going to have to buy the real thing.  My question is this, will the front part of the retainer cover up the edge of the wood around the marquee box.  Tough to put this into words but, is the front of the marquee retainer 3/4"?  I do not want to see a shadow on the marquee when backlit.  Thanks

TopJimmyCooks

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 06, 2024, 12:19:16 pm
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2012, 03:40:03 pm »
the ones I've seen are 1/2" or less but i've never bought dedicated retainer parts.  I used 3/4" material and I incorporated black into the bottom and top of my marquee to go with it.  Sometimes people cut tapers in the top and speaker panel to get around that. 

dandare

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 25, 2013, 08:43:44 am
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2012, 03:55:55 pm »
Thanks all!   Kind of a little bit giddy because Knievel and OND replied to my post.   Them being kind of legends around here and all.  Is that strange?   HA!

I get giddy whenever those guys post in any thread! is THAT strange?  ;D

Great start man, will be following your build.

Knievel

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 10, 2016, 10:29:09 pm
  • Who's up for a game of Stunt Cycle??
    • Knievel Kustoms
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2012, 05:21:47 pm »
I would suggest some iron-on edge banding from your local hardware store. They sell that in black.
Or this would be another option..

http://www.t-molding.com/store/product.php?productid=69&cat=5&page=1

GregD

• Offline Offline
    • Arcade Nebula
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2012, 09:18:28 pm »
 I think i have some edge banding lying arount from a black melamime project or I will just use a thin stirp of wood.

GregD

• Offline Offline
    • Arcade Nebula
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2012, 09:21:06 pm »
And i got my LED strip lights in and these things are awesome.  They might be too bright on a 12 volt supply but they dimmed nice when I tried a 9 volt supply from an old cordless phone.

GregD

• Offline Offline
    • Arcade Nebula
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2012, 11:46:03 am »
This is my best shot at a control panel.  Not thrilled about the name but my kid came up with it.  The button halos need some work to make them consistent in shape and size.  I hate photoshop.

SammyWI

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 16, 2022, 07:58:00 pm
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2012, 08:44:59 pm »
Looks nice to me (but it is fairly similar to my own build  :D).  I think I have that same monitor.  You can buy plastic corner guards in lots of colors online to use as a marquee retainer.  I got mine from www.kofflersales.com.

ETA: I used MDO in my cab -much better to work with than MDF.  But I had a few pieces with an exposed edge that I used MDF for.  You can get MDF in smaller sizes than 4 x 8 for this.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 09:13:05 pm by SammyWI »

Sparkolicious

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 25, 2022, 05:41:24 pm
  • Measure twice cut once dern it!
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2012, 11:48:08 am »
Nice work!  :applaud:  I  like the idea of MDO.  I used BC sanded 3/4 ply for the three cabs I've built.  Works good, just a lot of finishing involved.  For my marquee, I used angle aluminium from the depot.  I painted it black, and attached it to the cab with three counter sunk, flat head screws.  I used the  3/4 X 3/4 stuff.

GregD

• Offline Offline
    • Arcade Nebula
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2012, 03:18:12 pm »
The MDO has been great to work with.  I build cabinets and use it whenever they are going to be painted.  Takes paint really well.  Much better than MDF in my opinion because it isn't as glossy.  I am not going to use anything for a marquee retainer.  I am going to use the dado slot I created and cover up the exposed edges with the peel and stick black PVC edgebanding that Knievil recommended above.  We'll see how it goes.  if not, I will just use some melamime iron on banding.  The cabinet is in primer now.  I just finished the box for the control panel.  That took a while to get perfect with the slope and the miters all the way around.  I should have the paint finished up by the end of the weekend with the keyboard drawer and the front door installed.

GregD

• Offline Offline
    • Arcade Nebula
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2012, 09:34:35 pm »
Lots of progress over the last few days.  I completed the priming and painting of the cabinet and I am really pleased with the finish.  I rolled on the finish with a foam roller and there are no line marks in the paint.  There is a slight texture but it looks good.  I installed the LED strip lights in the marquee and these things are great.  I can't imagine that there is a better product out there for lighting a marquee.

They just stick in place.  I did use a few strips of two sided tape just to be sure they wouldn't fall off.

I also got the 1/4" solar grey plexi from Tapp installed.  It fit perfect but I did have to remove the admin panel and widen the dado groove I made for it to sit in.  I also got the speakers and amplifier mounted.

They keyboard drawer was a PITA to get right but I got it done.  I just need to put the hinges on the door to finish that off.  I used peel and stick edgebanding T-Molding.com instead of marquee retainers.  My marquee glass will sit in grooves instead of being retained.  It should make for a clean look.  Here is where I'm at.

Green Giant

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 29, 2016, 06:50:57 pm
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2012, 01:13:57 am »
Holy spotlight Batman, that's a nice player blinder in the marquee.

Great work but why so many led strip rows?  A single strip is crazy bright.
"He lives down there in his valley,
The cat stands tall and green,
Well, he ain't no prize, and there's no women his size,
And that's why the cat's so mean"
Toxic Arcade, my first build

GregD

• Offline Offline
    • Arcade Nebula
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2012, 06:33:49 am »
The lights are shown with a 12 volt power supply.   I won't be using that.   I tried it with a 9 volt supply and it dimmed significantly.   If I have to remove rows I will.   

GregD

• Offline Offline
    • Arcade Nebula
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2012, 11:15:51 am »
I also found a really inexpensive LED dimmer that I could throw in there.

alfonzotan

• Offline Offline
    • The Cab With No Name
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2012, 01:01:39 pm »
Holy crap, that's bright.  That cab will be able to pull double duty as a lighthouse.   :laugh:

Green Giant

• Offline Offline
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2012, 01:43:07 pm »
I also found a really inexpensive LED dimmer that I could throw in there.
Why not just remove 2/3 of the LEDs and power them from a 12V line from your computer?

3 strips will be more than enough light, and then you have plenty of left overs for future products.  Those strips are great for anywhere.

Drnick

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 06, 2023, 01:19:48 pm
  • Plodding Through Life
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2012, 02:04:06 pm »
I would definitely remove a couple of strips, You got enough light coming from that marquee to light up a football pitch  :o  you would probably burn or melt the marquee itself with the wattage currently shining outta there :)

GregD

• Offline Offline
    • Arcade Nebula
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2012, 02:35:46 pm »
In all honesty, I didn't know you could cut the strip.  My thought process was that I could step down the voltage but I will use all the lights to get absolutely even coverage. 

Green Giant

• Offline Offline
« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2012, 03:22:00 pm »
In all honesty, I didn't know you could cut the strip.  My thought process was that I could step down the voltage but I will use all the lights to get absolutely even coverage. 
Look closely at the strips.  About every 3 inches there is a little white line in between the solder pads.  You can cut right there.  You don't have to be concerned with voltage/amp control when cutting.

3 strips evenly spaced will be plenty bright.  Right now at 12V I would imagine that spotlight would bleed too much light through a marquee printed on cardboard. 

GregD

• Offline Offline
    • Arcade Nebula
« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2012, 11:53:23 am »
T-molding is on and the front door is installed on the hinges.  I had to use hot glue on the right side for the t-molding due to a router mishap.  It worked pretty well.  It was a PITA though.  There is one part where I screwed it up but I will probably be the only one who notices it.  Removing some of the lights tonight and cutting the plexi for the marquee.  I am sending my control panel off to get printed.  I did have a black and white template printed at Staples so I could continue working on the control panel but I am nervous that the template and the completed artwork won't be the same size.  Should I be nervous?  Has this been known to happen?

dandare

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 25, 2013, 08:43:44 am
« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2012, 12:17:35 pm »
looks lovely!

if you haven't drilled any holes or stuff on your control panel i would wait till you get the print back. just too be safe.

oh and i think you can remove the ''Not raising the bar at all'', your work is top class dude!

Ond

• Offline Offline
« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2012, 12:44:57 pm »
looks lovely!

if you haven't drilled any holes or stuff on your control panel i would wait till you get the print back. just too be safe.

oh and i think you can remove the ''Not raising the bar at all'', your work is top class dude!

+ 1 Nice clean build, your attention to detail is paying off.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 12:46:49 pm by Ond »

GregD

• Offline Offline
    • Arcade Nebula
« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2012, 03:50:34 pm »
Here is the artwork so far.  Opinions please.

Green Giant

• Offline Offline
« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2012, 04:54:22 pm »
I think the glow around the title is too strong.  Tone that down a bit and increase the font size some.

Secondly I would remove the title or shrink it on the CP.  Then bring the trackball down as far as it can possible go.  You want the trackball as far south as it can possibly go for golden tee.

Ond

• Offline Offline
« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2012, 04:56:59 pm »
I'm not loving it to be honest I think your well put together cab deserves better.  What is the font?  Do you mind if I tinker with the art design a little bit?  I completely understand if you feel like telling me to butt out.

GregD

• Offline Offline
    • Arcade Nebula
« Reply #33 on: March 09, 2012, 05:06:26 pm »
Absolutely!  The font was Space Mission or Mission Space.  I am awful in Photoshop.

Ond

• Offline Offline
« Reply #34 on: March 10, 2012, 06:53:55 am »
I got some time to draw some marquee artwork up for you today, see what you think,  if you like it I'll do the CP as well, I might need to get that planetary background source if you still want that.  The only thing I'd add to the Marquee is a white line around the text to lift it up a bit rather than a glow effect, I'm happy to that on another version. :cheers:

GregD

• Offline Offline
    • Arcade Nebula
« Reply #35 on: March 10, 2012, 07:20:51 am »
That is outstanding.   I love it.   I am not locked into the planetary background at all since it has been used so many times.   I would actually prefer not to use it.  Thank you very much OND!

ark_ader

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2019, 07:35:34 pm
  • I glow in the dark.
« Reply #36 on: March 10, 2012, 09:12:57 am »
Looks great!  :applaud:
If I had only one wish, it would be for three more wishes.

Ond

• Offline Offline
« Reply #37 on: March 10, 2012, 07:19:31 pm »
That is outstanding.   I love it.   I am not locked into the planetary background at all since it has been used so many times.   I would actually prefer not to use it.  Thank you very much OND!

No worries mate, my pleasure, it still needs a bit of tweaking and adjusting.  I'll adjust color tone to match the green on your cab a bit better and do the white outline for more snap.  Can you provide me via PM with the dimensions for your marquee so I can match that.  Also if you can send me (via email) what you've  done on the CP I'll use that as template for the layout etc.  It will take a few days after that.  The planetary background whilst cool has been done to death.  The creative cogs are turning i n my head!   Trrrussssst me.  >:D  I will provide hi resolution print versions once we've got it right.

:cheers:

Ond

P.S.  Ya gonna do sideart?
« Last Edit: March 10, 2012, 07:23:09 pm by Ond »

GregD

• Offline Offline
    • Arcade Nebula
« Reply #38 on: March 10, 2012, 07:40:53 pm »
Thanks OND.  This is beyond generous of you.  I have sent the PM and the email.  I wasn't going to push my luck with sideart since it took me forever to get to where I was at.  I was thinking of doing some sort of round logo for the side or something in the future but I am really not concerned about it.  Thanks!

wol-nz

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 25, 2020, 02:42:44 am
  • Arcade!? - Never! - Really? - Yup!
« Reply #39 on: March 11, 2012, 08:38:28 pm »
Hey Greg, I see your colour choice is very similar to my next art work. This may of be of interest to your project. My kick plate art work can be used as side as as well. If interested let me know and i'll get something up for ya too...
No worries for me about changing the text to something like ARCADE NUBULAR either.  ;D

options for the blank middle area (coin mech, initial logo, favorite arcade char, vacuum vortex...)
My art is always free for you to download and modify as you see fit...
Why?... because I could never find any art I loved on the net. So I played around with Photoshop and wish to share it with the arcade community.