Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Darts!  (Read 36620 times)

Nephasth

• Trade Count: (0)
Darts!
« on: February 19, 2012, 10:56:47 pm »
 :D

Already set up for any sized tokens. This will be stealing all the attention away from the other games... :cheers:

TOK

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 24, 2024, 05:14:24 pm
  • The Game Always Wins
Re: Darts!
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2012, 07:13:09 pm »
Love darts and think its under-rated as a gameroom necessity. I have an Arachnid board that gets lots of play.  :cheers:

Nephasth

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2012, 07:33:11 pm »
One of my "grails" is an Arachnid Galaxy 2... just a wee bit out of my price range though. Main things I wanted was color video scoring and coin op. Used to be in the leagues around here, until I got the job I have now. Working nights every other week keeps me from participating in leagues now. This will let me hone my skills for tournaments. :)

TopJimmyCooks

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 01:18:39 pm
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2012, 08:40:05 pm »
Nep, so you feel its a decent dart board as compared to a bristle board with steel darts?  I have no basis for comparison, I've only played with steel tipped darts on a conventional board.  I've seen some soft tip setups (home use) that were pretty bad.  I assume it will score cricket/301 or whatever you ask for?

Nephasth

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2012, 09:42:00 pm »
No soft tip board will make for a good comparison to steel tips and a bristle board. The dart leagues around here use Arachnid Galaxy 2s because they can all be linked up and keep track of everybody's stats throughout the seasons. On the Arachnid Galaxy 2s, each player actually logs in with a hot button before each match. You can also store credits on the hot buttons so you don't have to feed tons of quarters into the machine before the match (the most I had on one at one time was $150, which lasted me and my partner a whole season). This board, a Medalist Dart Star Spectrum, is from 1994/5 and isn't as technologically advanced, but it will make for great practice. This board can also use 3 different matrices (?) from different manufacturers, currently it has an Arachnid matrix. The home use soft tip boards are junk. Coin op boards are much more robust and made for extended use. No holding the board against the wall while pulling the darts out here. You do get broken and bent tips here and there, but they're cheap. When I play darts, I want to play (and drink), I don't want to worry about keeping score. But with all that being said, soft tip is what I got into from the get go. The weights and distances of steel tips feel strage to me, so I stick to what I know. But if you've never tried it and have the time, it's worth getting into a league for at least one season to feel it out.

Ken Layton

• Guru
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 12, 2021, 12:25:59 am
  • Technician
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2012, 11:26:35 pm »
The Medalist boards are software selectable to use either the Arachnid, Valley (now Shelti), or Merit target head/matrix assemblies.

Nephasth

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2012, 04:48:09 pm »
Well, this board has been getting daily play in the new gameroom and a few things have been done to it.

First, the decal just under the board was/is damaged and was half peeled off from the previous owner. I removed the decal completely and used a combination of adhesive remover and brake clean to remove the residue. Brake clean is much more effective at removing adhesive than the adhesive remover, but I wouldn't recommend using brake clean on porous materials (like wood). Once the back of the decal and the cabinet were clean, I sprayed some new adhesive to the back of the decal and reinstalled it. Over the past week or so, only a couple areas have come up (around the most damaged area of the decal). It looks much better than it did.

I don't know why I thought this had an Arachnid matrix in it before, but it is definitely a Medalist. Anyway, many segments of the target are cracked, chipped, and broken which causes "stuck segments" every now and again during play. I've been on the lookout for a complete target head. I snagged an Arachnid target head off eBay recently, but come to find out that the mounting holes aren't even close to lining up with the studs on the machine. So now I'll be on the lookout for Medalist parts only (which seem to be about as rare as hen's teeth). I've called Medalist a few times and left messages, but I never get any return phone calls. :-\

While browsing the operator menu, in "Diagnostics" I found a "sensor" option. Went to it and it said "Auto player change: OFF". Well that sounded great, I've been getting tired of pushing the "Player Change" button after each round. But there was no way to change "off" to "on" with the buttons. Did a little reading and found out that the machine has a motion detector. Located the detector and saw that an indicator LED would light when I moved near the sensor. The "sensor" menu is only supposed to show when the sensor is activated, but "off" wouldn't change to "on" when the indicator LED was lit. Luckily, the manual stated which header the sensor should be plugged into on the PCB, and it was currently plugged into the wrong header.

It was plugged into the first or second header (J12 or J13) on the bottom of the board. It needed to be plugged into the fifth from the right header.

With the sensor plugged into the right header, the "sensor" test in the menu worked. However, during play, the sensor would only work about 40% of the time, and the sensitivity was cranked to max. After a lot of tinkering, I found the sensor to be much more responsive when facing forward vs. straight up (how it was originally installed). So I got some angle brackets and mounted the sensor to face forward.

Now the auto player change function works great and the sensitivity is only set at about 25%.

Another thing left to do to the board is splitting the video signal. The clear cased TV sitting next to the board in the first pic will be a secondary display for people watching so they don't have to crowd the player when they're throwing. I'm waiting for a converter to come from China to convert the VGA signal to composite. I tried a cheap VGA splitter and cheap VGA to composite cable, but the TV wasn't syncing.

If anyone has ANY parts to one of these and would be willing to sell, let me know. I'm looking for newer ROMs (mine are Version 2.0), target head, decal sets, and maybe other stuff.

Ken Layton

• Guru
  • Offline Offline
  • Technician
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2012, 02:06:28 am »
Medalist generally does not sell direct. You have to go through your local Medalist distributor's parts department. They should be able to burn you new eproms with the last version of the software.

General information on the Spectrum (a.k.a. Spectrum Genesis):

http://arcarc.xmission.com/PDF_Darts/Medialist_Spectrum_Genesis_Tech_Information.pdf

Manual sections:

http://arcarc.xmission.com/PDF_Darts/Dartstar_Spectrum_Operator_Setup.pdf

http://arcarc.xmission.com/PDF_Darts/Dartstar_Spectrum_Miscellaneous.pdf

http://arcarc.xmission.com/PDF_Darts/Dartstar_Spectrum_Diagnostic.pdf

http://arcarc.xmission.com/PDF_Darts/Dartstar_Spectrum_Basic_Setup_Manual.pdf

Nephasth

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2012, 07:42:49 pm »
Video converter came today. One of those $12 jobbers from China. Works great! Well worth the purchase.

Here it is installed inside the cab (silver box in the top right). The ports on top are for the outputs, currently using VGA and composite but S-Video is available as well. The left side is video in. Right side is power in (5V pulled off the switching power supply) and dip switches for PAL or NTSC. The bottom has buttons for menu and adjustments that don't affect VGA out which is nice. ---smurfy--- though, the adjustments don't save after a power cycle. :-\

Quick shot of both displays running.

And the view from where players are generally waiting/watching.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2012, 09:37:56 pm by Nephasth »

Nephasth

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2012, 10:08:21 am »
I finally got in touch with a man in the Medalist parts department! I wanted to order a full set of segments, but there were a few types on back order. Luckily, all my cracked/broken segments were in stock. Prices were right too, so I picked up a new spider with the segments I needed. Parts showed up yesterday, and I installed them last night. The difference is amazing! I'll be ordering more segments to replace the rest of my old ones soon.

A couple before shots. You can see the some of the inner segments are chipped. All of the inner segments had cracks between holes which would spread the segment causing intermittent "stuck segment" faults.

New spider (grey) next to old spider (white). The old spider has a date of 9/19/95 :o, and it shows its age. The old segments I replaced are still in the old spider. I got all the new ones from Medalist except for the outer bull segment, I picked up a couple NOS ones off ebay a while back.

A couple after shots. The red and blue of the new segments is noticably brighter than the old, which is expected.

Played a few games after installing the parts, no "stuck segments" and much fewer bounce outs. :cheers:

Ken Layton

• Guru
  • Offline Offline
  • Technician
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2012, 10:59:13 am »
Looks good!

Ironheadgus

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 24, 2013, 03:12:46 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2013, 01:36:55 pm »
Any chance i could get some more pics of the inside of the cabinet? I have four of theses exact boards and trying to get a couple working!!!

Nephasth

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2013, 01:44:22 pm »
Yeah, what exactly are you wanting pics of? I can snap some tonight. I'm curious, what version of roms are in your boards?

Ironheadgus

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 24, 2013, 03:12:46 pm
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2013, 02:11:20 pm »
Im really not sure about the roms as i'm just skimming the surface at this point but i have access to about 6 or 8 other machines for parts ect. As far as the pics just general plug locations and such lot of loose ones kind of just hanging around.

Nephasth

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2013, 03:05:22 pm »
Im really not sure about the roms as i'm just skimming the surface at this point but i have access to about 6 or 8 other machines for parts ect. As far as the pics just general plug locations and such lot of loose ones kind of just hanging around.

I sent you a PM.

kaosjoker

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 21, 2013, 07:41:55 pm
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2013, 09:57:01 pm »
Hi i have the same board myself.. bought it in pieces and have gotten it working but i still feel there are things missing.. could i also get some pics of the inside.. and i have 3.0 rom right now.. dunno if that is a newer one or very old one.. thanks in advance..

Nephasth

« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2013, 08:32:24 am »
There's not much else inside. Anything in particular you're wanting to look at? I emailed the last guy to ask, but he never responded... :-\

kaosjoker

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 21, 2013, 07:41:55 pm
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2013, 07:42:11 pm »
i would like more pics of the board up on the top.. i have some wires up there not plugged into anything.. it looks like it would be a hard drive or disk drive of some sort..

Nephasth

« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2013, 07:45:29 pm »
Post pics of what you have questions about.

Guero12

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 12, 2017, 11:18:42 am
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2013, 10:56:01 am »
I just bought one of these boards and got it running again.  It needed a new power supply.

Did you find a new ROM for this board?  Mine is running on V2.0.

Can I ask how much the spider and segments were from Medalist?  I am going to need it!

On Edge

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 27, 2013, 09:11:00 pm
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2013, 02:16:11 am »
How much did Medalist charge for new segment setup?  I just got this same board and will be doing that same deal.  I called Medalist but no call back yet.  They are 20 minutes up the road so maybe I will pay them a visit.

Nephasth

« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2013, 07:40:36 am »
It was about $1-$2 per segment. The spider was like $14.

On Edge

• Offline Offline
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2013, 10:22:44 am »
Nephsath,

Did you come across a manual for this machine by chance?

Nephasth

« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2013, 10:52:17 am »
Yep. Ken has made some excellent information about this machine available. I'll shoot you a PM.

Nephasth

« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2013, 10:59:51 am »
Manuals and info Ken has made available:

Medalist generally does not sell direct. You have to go through your local Medalist distributor's parts department. They should be able to burn you new eproms with the last version of the software.

General information on the Spectrum (a.k.a. Spectrum Genesis):

http://arcarc.xmission.com/PDF_Darts/Medialist_Spectrum_Genesis_Tech_Information.pdf

Manual sections:

http://arcarc.xmission.com/PDF_Darts/Dartstar_Spectrum_Operator_Setup.pdf

http://arcarc.xmission.com/PDF_Darts/Dartstar_Spectrum_Miscellaneous.pdf

http://arcarc.xmission.com/PDF_Darts/Dartstar_Spectrum_Diagnostic.pdf

http://arcarc.xmission.com/PDF_Darts/Dartstar_Spectrum_Basic_Setup_Manual.pdf

Thanks again Ken! :applaud:

On Edge

• Offline Offline
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2013, 11:11:30 am »
Thanks for the info.   Hopefully I can get ahold of medalist to send me new segments and the spider...

Have you swapped the original monitor for a flat screen yet?

Nephasth

« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2013, 11:12:41 am »
Have you swapped the original monitor for a flat screen yet?

Nope. As long as it keeps working, it'll stay in there.

Ken Layton

• Guru
  • Offline Offline
  • Technician
« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2013, 12:10:18 pm »
At one time Medalist did sell a monitor conversion kit to replace the existing CRT style monitor with an LCD flat screen. It included all the needed mounting brackets, bezel, and wiring harness adapters. I don't know if they still sell those kits, but if I recall correctly, the kit sold for around $400 and you had to order it through your local coin machine distributor's parts department.

On Edge

• Offline Offline
« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2013, 02:39:37 am »
Picked up a new segment/spider.  Complete set.  Im excited to install it this weekend.  What is the skill level for removing the CRT monitor from the cabinet?  I really want a wide flatscreen up there, but dont want to get in over my head.

Hey Ken, I was just camping in your neck of the woods last weekend.  Just south of Tumwater...

Ken Layton

• Guru
  • Offline Offline
  • Technician
« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2013, 12:45:12 pm »
Removing the CRT monitor will require a helper to hold the monitor while you remove the mounting screws.

1. Disconnect the monitor's power cable from the screw terminals on the switching regulator power supply located below the gameboard. Make note of which wire colors went to each terminal on the power supply's terminal strip.

2. Unplug monitor's VGA video cable from the gameboard. A small straight slot screwdriver may be needed to loosen the connector's screws so that you can unplug the connector.

3. Undo the monitor's remote adjustment board from the cabinet.

4. Be sure to undo all the cable clamps holding both the monitor video cable and it's power cable.

5. There are several Robertson head screws that hold the monitor to the cabinet that need to be removed. They are #2 Robertson (square drive) heads. Four along the bottom of the monitor and two each on each top side. See the attached pictures. The red circles indicate the screw locations.

6. Have your helper slowly lower the monitor down and lift the whole thing out of the cabinet. Monitor weighs about 20 pounds. It's heavier than it looks. Watch to be sure you don't break the neck of the picture tube.

7. That's all there is to it.

BTW, the monitor shown in my pictures is a Neotec NT-1431 (VGA resolution).
« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 02:39:38 pm by Ken Layton »

Nephasth

« Reply #30 on: August 23, 2013, 01:18:28 pm »
I'd lay the cabinet down on its back to remove the monitor. It'd make it a lot easier than working 6' off the ground.

Ken Layton

• Guru
  • Offline Offline
  • Technician
« Reply #31 on: August 23, 2013, 06:50:25 pm »
I'd lay the cabinet down on its back to remove the monitor. It'd make it a lot easier than working 6' off the ground.

I've done it that way too, but you have to tie back or prop open the dart head door. Be gentle with the hinges because they break easily.

Also, keep in mind the Spectrum cabinet is made with a very slippery plastic and there is a possibility you could drop the cabinet and damage something.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 07:04:00 pm by Ken Layton »

On Edge

• Offline Offline
« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2013, 02:12:24 am »
Thanks for the info, you two.  I scoped it out after reading your instructions and I think im going to try it.  I pulled the cooling  fan out to
clean it and it broke from being brittle.  I replaced it with a computer fan I had laying around, 120mm.  I reinstalled in an exhaust position.  Was that right?  Or should it pull cool air in?  Or does it matter?

Ken Layton

• Guru
  • Offline Offline
  • Technician
« Reply #33 on: August 24, 2013, 02:33:25 am »
The factory installed the fan to exhaust (blow outward) the heat from the cabinet.

On Edge

• Offline Offline
« Reply #34 on: August 27, 2013, 02:39:35 am »
I read through the manuals provided in this thread but didnt see anywhere telling me how to reset the high scores back to zero.  There are also some names that arent kid friendly.... :censored:

Nephasth

« Reply #35 on: August 27, 2013, 09:20:30 am »
Pull the battery and reinstall.

On Edge

• Offline Offline
« Reply #36 on: August 27, 2013, 11:32:48 am »
I tried pulling the battery, left it out for a minute then put it back in.  Didnt clear the top ten list.  There is a jumper for the CMOS.  Three pins, the jumper is on the right two.Would that reset it putting it on the left two?

Nephasth

« Reply #37 on: August 27, 2013, 12:16:55 pm »
With the game off, turn dip switch #1 on. Turn the game on. Go to board setup. Go to top ten lists. Press button 1. Press any target segment. Go back to the main menu. Turn the game off. Turn dip switch #1 back off. Turn the game back on. The top ten lists should be cleared.

J_Remo

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 29, 2013, 10:31:16 am
« Reply #38 on: August 27, 2013, 08:11:54 pm »
I have a Dart Star board, upgraded to an Avanti Elite. I need a couple of the upper cabinet door hinges , mine are broke. Does anyone know where to get them?
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 09:39:26 pm by J_Remo »

On Edge

• Offline Offline
« Reply #39 on: August 27, 2013, 09:11:00 pm »
Okay.  My menu was slightly different, but I found it under reports.  Cleared it out for the four or five games and we are in business.  Thanks for your help!! 

I picked up a few items today to replace some damaged pieces.  Its coming along....