Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: STAR WARS MICRO Complete with video!  (Read 138571 times)

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 14, 2024, 06:07:15 pm
  • <insert personal text here>
Re: Mini Star Wars Caanoo Hack - 05 APR 2012, Yoke Construction Update
« Reply #80 on: April 05, 2012, 04:28:58 pm »
needs more duct tape.

are you testing the pots as you're assembling this?  It'd really suck to get it all together and then find a bad pot.

I'd mill the handles out of aluminum and have a recess in them for the switch.  It'd still be pretty tricky to do though.  Perhaps just using a drill and some files might work.

You should mass produce those and sell them. miniram-controls......something like that

Miniram-controls...worst idea evar :lol

Pots are all tested and working thus far.  I've got some spares so if one takes a crap I'll be able to switch out.  I'm leaning towards making the handles from some 1mm sheet stock and doing a fold up, then covering with sculpy and giving it a quick bake to get those nice rounded corners.  Either that or doing it out of wax and trying a lost wax casting, but it'll be really tough to get the triggermech and wiring channels correct that way.   

Santoro

• Purveyor of Shiny Arcade Goodness
  • Santoro
  • Trade Count: (+32)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 23, 2023, 07:05:04 pm
  • Boycott Quarters!!!
    • ArcadeReplay!
« Reply #81 on: April 18, 2012, 04:16:14 pm »
watching....looks really cool so far.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 08:44:31 am by Santoro »

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #82 on: April 20, 2012, 11:16:11 pm »
I had to take a knee and face out for 10 days or so as far as construction progress goes because I was nearing the end of the semester and had a lot of meaningless unimportant papers to turn in so I can graduate this summer.  All I have left now is finals so plenty of time to work on the project.  By the way, I'm totally calling this Micro Star Wars now instead of Mini.  After working on this yoke and discovering I'd rather be rubbing my face against the the pavement I feel that mini doesn't do the scale justice but nano would make me seem melodramatic.  Micro it is. 

Updates:

Yoke construction was an absolute ---smurfette--- and is ongoing.  Due to the gauge of wire vs diameter of available tubing combined with length of X axis axle needed to fit everything and still have it turn freely with wires hanging the sides of it I had to assemble onto the cab.  Still I am thrilled with how it is coming out.  Let's look at some pics. 

These are the handles I ended up making, they are compressed tubing with the butts filled in with sculpy and baked.  The switch will feed in through the top and then be caped off with some two part air cure modeling compound.  The last bit of touch up painting will have to be done on the cab so I will have to do a good tape job when the time comes.

This is how the Y axis axel, pot, and trigger wiring looks out of the yoke.  The green and blue cables and to be removed and threaded once installed so I could get the X axis axle onto the Y.  Confused?  So am I.

I stopped in the middle of wiring to get a quick pic.  This took me a surprisingly long time to get everything threaded. 

Here's one handle and trigger installed waiting to be puttied.  The yoke body also needs another sanding to clean up glue marks and will catch a fresh coat of paint with the handles.

I've got the marquee light bar, speakers, and coin door installed and ready to wire onto the main board.  The X axle needs to have the X pot attached at the end and I need to fabricate a bracket to attach to the collar bolts to keep the pot body from turning.  That should be fairly simple tho.  I did test fit the monitor and board, everything will go in well and the board will be against the left hand side of the cab with the battery on the floor. 

So this is where I am so far.  The other trigger switch seems to have up and walked the ---fudgesicle--- away so I'll be dropping by RS to pick up another.  Still a lot to do but starting to see light at the end of the tunnel. 

Nephasth

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Micro Star Wars - 20 APR update
« Reply #83 on: April 20, 2012, 11:23:50 pm »
Man, that is nucking futs!

wp34

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2022, 09:48:19 pm
« Reply #84 on: April 20, 2012, 11:28:17 pm »

What he said.

This is so far beyond what I'm capable of its sick.

Error

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 17, 2012, 01:33:26 pm
  • I am Error.
« Reply #85 on: April 21, 2012, 01:15:40 am »
This is the kind of project that makes someone like me who had no interest in cabinets or builds or anything just a few weeks ago into someone already making assembly lists and sketches throughout the day to begin tackling my own first (far more modest, of course) project. Truly a showroom piece for inspiration. I joined this forum just to follow this build! The micro yoke looks so amazing in place, too. Congratulations and thanks so much for taking the extra time to chronicle your process.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2012, 01:26:47 am by Error »

Mr.Ian

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 21, 2013, 09:28:37 pm
« Reply #86 on: April 21, 2012, 05:22:26 am »
Can you let me know the price and do you ship to Australia ????

This thing is beyond  :censored: awesome, Fantastic build

:applaud: :notworthy:

darthpaul

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 23, 2022, 07:34:53 pm
  • Join, It's your duty
Re: Mini Star Wars Caanoo Hack - 22 MAR 2012 Update
« Reply #87 on: April 21, 2012, 07:39:21 am »
Amazing work dude!  :applaud:

A scale stormtrooper figure standing next to that would look sweet!

Not that you have a thing for stormtroopers or anything... ;D
Amazing build, you do great work at whatever scale you work in. Speaking of scale figures, one of these should work.

"You don't know the power of the Dark Side"
Automated Cabinet
Nintendo Pi
PiCubed

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #88 on: April 21, 2012, 04:57:22 pm »
Wow, thanks for the awesome response.  Can't wait to see how it rolls in once I have a working cab ;D

I picked up the last of the materials I *should* need to finish off so now it's just a matter of sitting down and powering through.  It'll still be a bit as I have a few other eggs in the air but I am motivated to get this working so I can determine whether I've created a monster or or a very nice hard to play model.  I'm hoping for monster as it would be a let down to do all this work and have something that just doesn't game well. We'll all find out together.

Amazing build, you do great work at whatever scale you work in. Speaking of scale figures, one of these should work.

Darth, please tell me that's your collection.  That is over the top awesome.  Have any extras you wanna send my way?  >:D

Can you let me know the price and do you ship to Australia ????

This thing is beyond  :censored: awesome, Fantastic build

:applaud: :notworthy:

Price... well there is a big disparity in parts cost vs time, I'm working at over 20 hours on the yoke alone (that's on the current version).  All together I'll have maybe $200 in it once complete (and that includes some mess up costs) but considering it is such an endeavor to make I wouldn't want to part with it any time soon.  Make me a four figure offer and we'll talk or just build your own... it's all documented here  ;D ;D

This is the kind of project that makes someone like me who had no interest in cabinets or builds or anything just a few weeks ago into someone already making assembly lists and sketches throughout the day to begin tackling my own first (far more modest, of course) project. Truly a showroom piece for inspiration. I joined this forum just to follow this build! The micro yoke looks so amazing in place, too. Congratulations and thanks so much for taking the extra time to chronicle your process.

Dude, thanks for joining the community and thanks for the encouraging words.   :cheers:  Welcome to the hobsession. 

This is so far beyond what I'm capable of its sick.

If we locked you in the garage you could do this, it's 90% staring at the wall figuring out how to make it work, 9% screwing it up, 3% redesigning, and 8% patience.  Did I mention I can't do math?

That's the intended reaction  :lol

darthpaul

• Offline Offline
  • Join, It's your duty
« Reply #89 on: April 21, 2012, 06:14:32 pm »
That's just a small part of my collection, I've had to tone it down these last few years, I am out of space and money.
In my case, I'm closer to 25% redesigning(things always look and work better on paper) :banghead:. Only 8% patience, working in that scale, are you crazy??
Automated Cabinet
Nintendo Pi
PiCubed

Vigo

• the Scourage of Carpathia
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 09, 2024, 04:32:11 pm
« Reply #90 on: April 21, 2012, 08:48:08 pm »
Holy hand grenades! That really kicks ass, Le Chuck!  :applaud:

ark_ader

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2019, 07:35:34 pm
  • I glow in the dark.
« Reply #91 on: April 22, 2012, 06:27:07 am »
I cannot believe it is so small.  Excellent work!  :applaud:
If I had only one wish, it would be for three more wishes.

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #92 on: April 22, 2012, 10:41:01 pm »
Vigo & Ark, muchas gracias  :cheers:

Darth, I'm moving into your basement.  I'll be modding one of your R2 units so it'll do 85 down the interstate.

I'm doing something wrong.  It is really frustrating.  I tested the pot before I put it in.  Tested once the wires were ran, sealed the sides, got the switches installed, tested switches and retested pot which low and behold quit working.  Tear everything down, find that pot is shorted at the leads.  Hmm, redo everything.  Extra careful, test multiple time... same result.  Why is this frustrating beyond the obvious?  Because it takes me over two hours to wire the yoke.  Small yoke, must use tweezers, lots of deep breathing. 

So I think it's the hot glue I'm using to lock the pot into the yoke.  Dunno why but maybe hot glue and pots just don't mix.  Hot glue was getting on the base where the wires are.  Of course I've go hot glue all over my main board and that's fine.  Weird.  More testing is required.  I had high hopes of wiring everything up today.  Now I'm where I was Friday night.  I'll chip away, I'm sure it's something stupid like the yoke housing shorting it out because I didn't insulate well enough.   

I'd be doing this  :banghead: if I wasn't curled under the kitchen table doing this  :cry:

So close I can taste it.  Maybe red leader was right...

yaksplat

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 13, 2021, 03:50:10 pm
    • Random Projects
« Reply #93 on: April 23, 2012, 07:29:52 am »
Scaled up, that's like using 1/0 gage wire in a full size cab.   >:D  I demand authenticity!

You know, it probably would have been easier to build a shrink ray while waiting for your order from Ram Controls and then just proceed with the shrinking.
Check out my current 3 machine build:
http://yaksplat.wordpress.com

Custom Control Panels: http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=121245

Knievel

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 10, 2016, 10:29:09 pm
  • Who's up for a game of Stunt Cycle??
    • Knievel Kustoms
« Reply #94 on: April 23, 2012, 10:04:13 am »
Wow this is crazy. Nice work  :cheers:

Don't think I'll be joining you on this size cabinet.
Had enough fun cramming everything into the bartop. :D

TopJimmyCooks

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 06, 2024, 12:19:16 pm
« Reply #95 on: April 23, 2012, 11:24:58 am »
Did that trigger switch really come from radio shack? 

Xiaou2

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 12, 2023, 05:41:19 pm
  • NOM NOM NOM
« Reply #96 on: April 23, 2012, 07:44:18 pm »
Thats nice... but one thing you should know is that all the arcade and even gaming sticks use some form of gearing.   Or, they have a very large throw range.   As such, the X & Y values might not be high enough to even calibrate your yoke properly.   Ive seen this problem on other similar designs, that didnt use gearing.

Best of luck.

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #97 on: April 23, 2012, 08:13:40 pm »
Thats nice... but one thing you should know is that all the arcade and even gaming sticks use some form of gearing.   Or, they have a very large throw range.   As such, the X & Y values might not be high enough to even calibrate your yoke properly.   Ive seen this problem on other similar designs, that didnt use gearing.

Best of luck.

Xiaou, I already conquered the deflection issue over a month ago.  It was easy, I used  a circuit writer and put new stops in the pots so now I have 10K pots with full throw over 60 degrees of deflection.  Thanks for stopping by and proffering your unending support tho  ;D

Did that trigger switch really come from radio shack? 

Yes indeed, part #275-0008

Wow this is crazy. Nice work  :cheers:

Don't think I'll be joining you on this size cabinet.
Had enough fun cramming everything into the bartop. :D

Yeah I thought the same thing when I saw bender's mini DK... then it started calling to me.  This scale is crazy fun... frustrating and occasionally gives me suicidal impulses, but fun none the less.

Scaled up, that's like using 1/0 gage wire in a full size cab.   >:D  I demand authenticity!

You know, it probably would have been easier to build a shrink ray while waiting for your order from Ram Controls and then just proceed with the shrinking.

Yak, you hit the nail on the head.  I am spending all my time fighting 22g and 26g wire.  It's just too cramped and it's overkill.  I went and got an enamel coated wire multi-spool that has some 40g in it.  I'll be experimenting with that stuff tonight.  I'll report back but hopefully that should make my life somewhat easier.  I guarantee I could conquer particle physics and weaponize it before Ram controls delivered tho... just sayin. 

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #98 on: April 24, 2012, 12:16:24 am »
OCD update.  I think I have the issue with the pot going out fixt.  The X axis axle wire portholes were not large enough causing everything to scrape pretty much no matter how gently I threaded it, which means after a few twists they were shorting.  I bored it out and sanded it down so everything slides nicely and the Y pot is currently installed and working.  Tomorrow I will slather some liquid tape in there to ensure it doesn't open up on me anytime soon and try to get the yoke up and running 100%.  I did get the enamel wire working but I don't like it because I can't tell immediately if I burnt off enough of the gunk on it to make a good connection so I'll stick with regular wire for now.  Making some space helped immensely. 

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
Re: STAR WARS MICRO Complete 24 APR 2012
« Reply #99 on: April 24, 2012, 10:48:42 pm »
I'm up and running.  Please check out first post for pics.  Video to come in the days ahead.  I learned so much on this build, most recently as tonight that I totally bite at Star Wars  ;D

I couldn't be happier that this little rascal is about wrapped up.  My one niggling issue:  Significant light leaks around the marquee as I haven't constructed the marquee retainer brackets yet.  Just didn't have the oomphf left in me to cut out the metal strips once I finally got everything working and installed tonight. 

Playability on this scale is good, not amazing but much better than many anticipated.  Thanks for all the encouragement along the way guys, it is much appreciated  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

yaksplat

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 13, 2021, 03:50:10 pm
    • Random Projects
« Reply #100 on: April 24, 2012, 11:11:46 pm »
Very awesome.  :applaud: 

:cheers:

I think it's time that you build something full size now.
Check out my current 3 machine build:
http://yaksplat.wordpress.com

Custom Control Panels: http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=121245

Woodshop Flunky

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 20, 2017, 05:24:57 am
« Reply #101 on: April 24, 2012, 11:17:11 pm »
Wow!  This is just insane!  :applaud:

Projects like this really get the brain pumping.  Great job!  :cheers:

Complete mini arcade cabinet plans available.

Seith

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 08, 2018, 10:50:41 am
« Reply #102 on: April 24, 2012, 11:19:07 pm »
Now this, this is cool.   :applaud: :notworthy:

P-chan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 13, 2022, 12:39:40 am
« Reply #103 on: April 25, 2012, 01:27:08 am »
Looking at the pictures in the first post, I thought at first that you owned an enormous bottle of wine as a decoration.  Looks great! :D

Louis Tully

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 13, 2015, 09:41:03 pm
« Reply #104 on: April 25, 2012, 06:55:15 am »
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 05:42:53 am by Louis Tully »

Santoro

• Santoro
  • Offline Offline
  • Boycott Quarters!!!
    • ArcadeReplay!
« Reply #105 on: April 25, 2012, 06:57:57 am »
Amazing.  You need to submit this to Engadget!

Sjaak

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 12, 2024, 03:32:16 am
« Reply #106 on: April 25, 2012, 07:10:42 am »
Really amazing!

MameMaster!

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 02, 2020, 11:01:15 pm
  • Engage number one!
    • Mame Invaders!
« Reply #107 on: April 25, 2012, 12:37:04 pm »
WOW. That really is super cool.  :applaud:
Seriously. Will it fit in my basement or what?

Drnick

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 06, 2023, 01:19:48 pm
  • Plodding Through Life
« Reply #108 on: April 25, 2012, 01:34:10 pm »
Oh the things I could build If I had but only 10% of your skills  :notworthy:  :applaud:

TopJimmyCooks

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 06, 2024, 12:19:16 pm
« Reply #109 on: April 25, 2012, 01:40:15 pm »
Is it any fun to play?  I guess you pinch one side to drive and use the other index finger to fire?  Can you fire with decent speed or repeatability?  Even if it's just a curiosity it's still very well done. 

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #110 on: April 25, 2012, 02:05:22 pm »
Wow, lots of great response already.  I'm humbled.  Thanks!  :cheers:

Video will be forthcoming, I was going to try and keep up with the switchcade, drventure juke, and mission control type of presentation but I have zero experience with that sort of thing so I'll just try and get something up that shows the cab in action, which is what we want to see really anyway.

TJC - I use a three finger grip, thumb and middle controlling pitch and index on the trigger.  I think it plays really well.  The pots have a little bit of dead space right through the middle of the throw but nothing that's going to make a difference, I get full range of onscreen movement.  It is a curiosity but I think it's a very playable curiosity.  I'll let you guys judge that once I post.

Drnick - my skill is not that good, really.  My tenacity is how this thing got built.  I decided that I would and didn't stop until I did.  Tenacity can make up for a lot, that said I still had a few moments where I wanted to turn this cab into firewood.  Glad I didn't.

MameMaster, Sjaak, Santoro, Tully, P-chan, Seith, WSF  :cheers: Thanks guys!

Yak,  :cheers: I've got at least one more mini planned and then a 3/4 build for Christmas.  I'm brewing a full sized SW (I have all the exterior parts) but can't decided if I should do a ground up repro or a "tribute" cab with some twists.  I'll get to it eventually tho  ;) 

darthpaul

• Offline Offline
  • Join, It's your duty
« Reply #111 on: April 25, 2012, 07:33:59 pm »
The "Force" is strong in you!
Automated Cabinet
Nintendo Pi
PiCubed

wp34

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2022, 09:48:19 pm
« Reply #112 on: April 25, 2012, 10:16:27 pm »
Just that fact that you finished this crazy project is amazing.  Having it turn out so freaking nice is priceless. 

Nice work.   :applaud:

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
Re: STAR WARS MICRO Complete with video!
« Reply #113 on: April 26, 2012, 12:30:36 am »
Thanks guys!

Video is now up.  You can check it out below and it's embedded in the top post as well.

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 17, 2024, 12:41:11 am
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #114 on: April 26, 2012, 12:41:31 am »
Great build! You should build a mini-breakdancing board next!  >:D
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

Bender

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 28, 2016, 08:12:21 pm
    • Happ to Tron Conversion tutorial
« Reply #115 on: April 26, 2012, 01:06:13 am »
WooHoo! :applaud: :applaud:
Looks fantastic!
That yoke is too f-ing cool
love the StarWars scroll ;)

05SRT4

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 04:31:35 pm
  • Check out my Pow Pow
« Reply #116 on: April 26, 2012, 04:47:46 am »
Thanks for the video upload. Awesome build!

May the force be with you!

Louis Tully

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 13, 2015, 09:41:03 pm
« Reply #117 on: April 26, 2012, 05:09:17 am »
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 05:43:02 am by Louis Tully »

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #118 on: April 26, 2012, 08:16:20 am »
Tully -  :cheers: Thanks bro, I'm leaning towards the tribute more and more. 

O5SRT4 -  :cheers: And with you

Bender - glad you liked the intro  ;D

The build made engadget.  Check it out here!

http://www.engadget.com/2012/04/26/star-wars-arcade-mini-me/#continued

We'll see where else it pops up.  Youtube sent me a notice that my video violated all kinds of copyright but so far they've just annotated the music and left it up.  We'll see if it lasts. 

Santoro

• Santoro
  • Offline Offline
  • Boycott Quarters!!!
    • ArcadeReplay!
« Reply #119 on: April 26, 2012, 08:36:09 am »
YAY!

Love reading the comments over on engadget -

wow! a bottle of wine as big as an arcade cabinet! HUGE!