Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Raspberry Pi = New Gen of Small Cabs?  (Read 9376 times)

The iTea Guy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 02, 2017, 12:21:40 pm
Raspberry Pi = New Gen of Small Cabs?
« on: February 07, 2012, 10:11:34 pm »
I have been following these guys for a while now and i reckon that the Raspberry Pi Computer might just be perfect to put into super small cabs or even normal cabs given its small size and efficiency, the only concern i have is software support for the likes of MAME and the rest? i would love to here your opinions or problems with this.

http://www.raspberrypi.org/

Nephasth

DaveMMR

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 29, 2024, 11:49:01 am
    • TeeVee Games
Re: Raspberry Pi = New Gen of Small Cabs?
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2012, 10:40:32 pm »
It has been discussed here: http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=117319.0

I am curious to see what can be done with this.  I really think I want to get one - even if I can't get MAME running satisfactorily on this, I have probably a dozen other potential uses for this.  

The iTea Guy

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 02, 2017, 12:21:40 pm
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2012, 10:45:03 pm »
huh, weird i did a search and that one did not turn up.

BTW do we know if groovy MAME Linux uses any X86 Processes?

Turnarcades

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 13, 2017, 08:14:29 am
  • Craig @ Turnarcades
    • Turnarcades
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2012, 10:51:00 pm »
Meh... The Pi has a become a shadow of its former premise, being more expensive than expected, in need of a lot more work than expected (no ports attached by default) and way bigger than the pound-coin sized unit that got everyone's attention. For the expected price vs performance, you'd be better off with a NanoITX PC with x86 architecture rather than wait around for a decent ARM port.

ark_ader

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2019, 07:35:34 pm
  • I glow in the dark.
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2012, 08:00:59 am »
Meh... The Pi has a become a shadow of its former premise, being more expensive than expected, in need of a lot more work than expected (no ports attached by default) and way bigger than the pound-coin sized unit that got everyone's attention. For the expected price vs performance, you'd be better off with a NanoITX PC with x86 architecture rather than wait around for a decent ARM port.

Depends on what you are thinking of doing with it.  The RasPi will be able to run a debian and the puppy linux guys are already looking to make it work with their distribution, especially Puppy Arcade, so there will be some momentum in the long run.  I think this little device and its little sister (Model A) will satisfy the initial purpose of the device(s), which is allow school children access to a powerful platform at the fraction of the cost.

What will be a small annoying problem with this scenario is the availability of HDMI displays.  If Lilliput brought out a cheap LCD HDMI to compliment the RasPi then we could see some interesting projects.  Yes the Rasp does not need a display as you can telnet to it via your phone, and that probably would be a possible workaround.

I'll be using it as a permanent server, with a solar panel to keep the little guy running.  I think the Model A will see a huge interest, and several companies selling cases, docks, and displays.

Interesting times eh?
If I had only one wish, it would be for three more wishes.

Blanka

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 25, 2018, 03:19:28 pm
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2012, 10:46:22 am »
It does support HDMI->VGA, and you can also connect to DVI. If you want small cabs, you are probably looking at LCD too.

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:03:57 am
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2012, 11:40:58 am »
When they ARE available, I plan to buy one just to play with.
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

Rok

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 11, 2012, 09:02:36 pm
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2012, 12:51:05 pm »
You can order them now, fyi.

http://www.raspberrypi.org/#top

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:03:57 am
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2012, 02:26:42 pm »
Hell, it wasn't even a pre-order sign up this time, but an "intent to purchase" mailing list.
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

Paul Olson

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 08:49:46 pm
    • Paul's Arcade
« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2012, 02:34:42 pm »
It does support HDMI->VGA, and you can also connect to DVI. If you want small cabs, you are probably looking at LCD too.

HDMI doesn't support VGA, so you would need a converter to hook this up to a VGA monitor. It will work fine with DVI though. HDMI to DVI cables are pretty cheap on Amazon, and a lot nicer to use than an adapter.

ark_ader

• Offline Offline
  • I glow in the dark.
« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2012, 02:43:51 pm »
Hell, it wasn't even a pre-order sign up this time, but an "intent to purchase" mailing list.

And you didn't get the unit until the end of March, which I thought was a bit crap.  But they are going to start building the A model with 256mb (For Linux in Ram use).

The DVI will not work with VGA as it is DVI-D.  No Analog coming out, but that is no big deal.  They will all be headless anyway.  ;D

I was going to buy one, but fell asleep at 4am (6am was pi time) but I am sure there will be plenty by next month. 

I heard the e-commerce servers crashed at 6am.  :laugh2:

I'm working on a solar cell project when I get one of the model A units serving my home network and Internet.  Yummy.

Puppy Arcade is working on a port, which should get you all-in-one control panel gurus excited.  :lol

Rok

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 11, 2012, 09:02:36 pm
« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2012, 03:15:58 pm »
Puppy Arcade is working on a port, which should get you all-in-one control panel gurus excited.  :lol

I really want to replace the mini computer (I can't remember what its called, but it runs Windows Embedded or CE or something) and I'm hoping one of these guys will do the trick. Windows can be a pain in the butt some times, especially when trying to do a standalone project.

Unstupid

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 08, 2021, 08:46:34 am
« Reply #13 on: February 29, 2012, 05:06:09 pm »
It's a little big.... I'd wait for Cotton Candy!

ark_ader

• Offline Offline
  • I glow in the dark.
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2012, 06:12:12 am »
It's a little big.... I'd wait for Cotton Candy!

Cotton Candy...Quad...more memory, wifi/BT = Awesome + probably expensive.

The Pi has a become a shadow of its former premise, being more expensive than expected, in need of a lot more work than expected (no ports attached by default) and way bigger than the pound-coin sized unit that got everyone's attention

You are thinking of the model A.  With the added 256MB.  Yes, that got my attention, but the Model B was designed for the developers to churn out apps (which they will) creating a huge user base. 

Exciting times ahead Craig!   :cheers:

kahlid74

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 01, 2021, 12:42:56 pm
  • Gaming for a better future!
    • GamersAnon
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2012, 09:47:17 am »
I'll be getting one to test and play with but I think from an emulation standpoint the fanless systems currently out now (Mini-ITX) will still be superior.

My problem with the Raspberry Pi is how much it can truly handle.  I'd like to play with it as a SAN/NAS and push it's data backbone.

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 04, 2015, 10:19:10 pm
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2012, 03:12:24 pm »
And from glancing at their forums it's $60 if you're in the US, not $25.  And it's the first week of May before it'll show up.

It may be a little too early to call "scam" on this but this product has gotten to the point where we DO NOT NEED constant updates, teasers, posts about flying to China and personally boxing the things.  They're going to sell out the instant they're available, so why all the BS?  I've been skeptical from the beginning and they've done nothing to alleviate that.

No. It already has an official set price of $35 dollars from the authorized resellers. 10 dollars more than originally expected. That includes a profit margin plus a portion going back into the raspi foundation.

http://www.alliedelec.com/RaspberryPi/

This is nowhere near the first ARM based PC kit to go on the market. There are tons of them out there. Only problem is, none of them are anywhere near as cheap. Cheapest one i've seen so far is probably the BeagleBoard Bone which goes for about 90 dollars.

I'll be getting one to test and play with but I think from an emulation standpoint the fanless systems currently out now (Mini-ITX) will still be superior.

My problem with the Raspberry Pi is how much it can truly handle.  I'd like to play with it as a SAN/NAS and push it's data backbone.

It's way too early to tell. We still need a mature linux distro and dependencies such as SDL fully working and ported in order to even begin working on emulation. the XBMC guys already have a working prototype of XBMC running on the pi. That in itself should alleviate having to port quite a few basic libraries to the device.

buying a device just for XBMC is well worth the mere $35 price tag considering many media players with less features are going for anywhere between $75-$200+ dollars.

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2012, 03:26:05 pm »
You didn't look at the forums, did you?   ;D

Their forums are down and distributors have already put up prices on their page.

kahlid74

• Offline Offline
    • GamersAnon
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2012, 09:13:27 am »

It's way too early to tell. We still need a mature linux distro and dependencies such as SDL fully working and ported in order to even begin working on emulation. the XBMC guys already have a working prototype of XBMC running on the pi. That in itself should alleviate having to port quite a few basic libraries to the device.

buying a device just for XBMC is well worth the mere $35 price tag considering many media players with less features are going for anywhere between $75-$200+ dollars.

How well does XBMC work?  I've seen ATOMs rock at XBMC and other Atoms fail wonderfully.  My experience with Media Center PC's is that even if the specs are the same, no two computers run video the same.

• Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2012, 09:26:41 am »

How well does XBMC work?  I've seen ATOMs rock at XBMC and other Atoms fail wonderfully.  My experience with Media Center PC's is that even if the specs are the same, no two computers run video the same.

kahlid74

• Offline Offline
    • GamersAnon
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2012, 11:53:45 am »

Very impressive!  makes me want to make a NAS with it big time now.

ark_ader

• Offline Offline
  • I glow in the dark.
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2012, 04:33:09 pm »
Raspberry pi is as powerful as my Xbox 1.  They are currently $15 and XBMC runs very well.

My 5v Pi though will be integrated into a self sustaining environment, that could eventually replace my power hungry desktop.

That is the attraction, and if the model A comes to fruition we will see more Linux capable people in the job market.   :applaud:

What I would like to know if the Model A will be able to run Froyo, which is miles better than Linux for an OS, and could be compatible with Windows 8 in the future.

I cannot see kids learning Python, but I could see them programming in a cheap c#/XNA capable box/environment.

At the end of the day, it is for the children to own and learn.

Which is the best thing that could ever come out this industry in the last 10 years. ;D

Vigo

• the Scourage of Carpathia
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 21, 2024, 08:20:28 am
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2012, 05:12:03 pm »
I don't know if I quite buy the "It's for the children" thing. That sounds more like an excuse to get grant money for the project. Sure, it might be another step in the right direction for making computers available to anyone, but why is this not available only and exclusively to educational organizations and schools? I am pretty sure that this will mostly be falling into the hands of techy adults.

I personally am much more excited about OLED. That stuff looks amazing.

• Offline Offline
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2012, 08:59:40 pm »
Very impressive!  makes me want to make a NAS with it big time now.

Considering the huge bottleneck in terms of having to use usb to to ide or sata, that kind of project would be no different than buying a standard pogoplug or seagate goflex. I have the seagate goflex net which basically is a tiny 1.2ghz arm device with two sata ports. Got it running arch linux, works nice. Time for me however, to move on to a better, stronger nas.

I don't know if I quite buy the "It's for the children" thing. That sounds more like an excuse to get grant money for the project. Sure, it might be another step in the right direction for making computers available to anyone, but why is this not available only and exclusively to educational organizations and schools? I am pretty sure that this will mostly be falling into the hands of techy adults.

I personally am much more excited about OLED. That stuff looks amazing.

You have to understand the reasoning behind the raspberry pi. The inventors are from the UK which brings us to the backstory here. During the late 70's-80's, the BBC began sponsoring a computer literacy program in the UK. The cornerstone of this project was a number of computers such as the BBC Micro. As time went on, cheaper acorn compatible units were released and home computing in the UK flourished. The idea behind the Raspberry Pi is the essentially the same.