Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: WPC system, display board causing blanking. (SOLVED)  (Read 2098 times)

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:41:53 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
WPC system, display board causing blanking. (SOLVED)
« on: February 07, 2012, 04:12:53 pm »
have a white water pinball with WPC boardset.

works for about 5 minutes then reset come back on, reset until it's continually resets.

It's the display board is causing the MPU board to blank. disconnecting the board J601 connector causes the rest of the system to come back online and stay that way.

5 volt is good at 4.97

blasted all the chips on the display board with freeze spray one by one to see if it would come back but no luck. even tried with the flipper and sound boards disconnected and still blanks out.

the only way it seems to work is if i leave it off for a while and power it back up or disconnect the diplay board.

tried a different display board (it has line and page errors) and this one works fine (or as fine as it can with page errors)

any ideas what it could be? I'd like to get this display board working, I only just rebuilt the high voltage section in this one.

also if you know what is causing the line/page errors in the other board (already replaced scratch RAM) I'd entertain that as well.

TYIA  :cheers:
« Last Edit: February 11, 2012, 12:50:41 pm by lilshawn »

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:41:53 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
Re: WPC system, display board causing blanking.
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2012, 03:02:10 pm »
found some nasty solder job on u34/u11/u10 along the bottom of the board right next to the big resistors.

I'm not sure if someone replaced them, or just tried to touch up the solder. I looked at them when I rebuilt the HV and figured it was aright, but since I was having problems, I figured I'd revisit them.

found a few pins on U34 where it looked like the solder just doughnutted around the pin instead of sticking almost like it didn't wet.. argh! I tried to get a pic of it but I'm not a photographer by any means and couldn't get anything decent. Used some solder braid to soak up the solder and flowed on some fresh solder.

it's always something stupid. I still don't know why blasting the chip with freeze spray didn't fix it. i must have blasted every chip 4 or 5... some even more times.

oh well live and learn. sometimes something stupid like that can't be found with a quick shot.

But the display board has been running the display test for almost 2 hours now and no reset so far.