Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Dreamcast -> VGA... WOW!  (Read 3478 times)

Lilwolf

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 31, 2022, 10:26:34 pm
Dreamcast -> VGA... WOW!
« on: September 23, 2003, 11:37:14 am »
I finally got around to hacking my VGA box into the arcade monitor...

And I have to say... Its WAY better looking then VGA direct!  Im guessing because it adds some antialias type stuff since the monitor can't handle 640x480..  

But I have to say.. I'm WAY impressed...

And the monitor kinda sucks (some burn in... needs to be degaused... could use a cap kit...  top left really dark)  but when the games start... I think the output is SO MUCH BETTER then running on the eygo monitor or the NEC multisync!

And last... a lot of games don't run... sad... about 1/4 of the driving games I've gotten doesn't handle the VGA... I have to get a better source for finding if they are compatible or not...

Is there a list?  

And will I find that all games that run VGA will work throught the adapter now?  Or will I have a few others that don't?

Thanks

Dave_K.

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 06, 2022, 03:27:30 pm
    • Arcade Fever
Re:Dreamcast -> VGA... WOW!
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2003, 12:57:39 pm »
After hacking the VGA box, you technically aren't running in VGA anymore.  .  The games are now running in RGB Scart mode at 15khz.  There is no anti-aliasing going on.  Some US games don't like this rgb mode, but I have only encountered 2 or 3 personally.  I'm curious which driving games you say will not work with your hacked vga box?

There is also a trick you can try to get some of these other games to work with the VGA box.  What you do is put the switch to TV mode, boot the dreamcast and wait about  a second after you hear the startup sound end, you flip the switch to VGA.  It may take a couple trys to get the timing right...what you are trying to do is trick the game into thinking its starting in tv mode, but then quickly switch it to vga mode just as it displayis the Sega License logo.  You can also try using a boot disc.