Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Automated 4/8way switching joystick control *Updated with pics & video*  (Read 12349 times)

darthpaul

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 23, 2022, 07:34:53 pm
  • Join, It's your duty
Anyone who is using the Ultimarc Mag-stik joystick now has no reason not to convert these to automatic switching between 4 and 8 way. If you had the ability to construct a cabinet this should be a breeze.
Below is how I did it, I’m by no means an expert on any of this, so if anyone has any questions, I’ll do my best to answer them.  
The first thing you need to do is construct the linkage for the servo, these are the servos I used http://cgi.ebay.com/4x-MG995-Digital-Metal-Gear-Servo-FUTABA-JR-RC-Car-/290495785226?_trksid=p5197.m7&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D4%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D1434434537286449732 to attach to the Ultimarc Mag-stik http://www.ultimarc.com/controls.html .Anyone who has one of these may notice the lever to change the stick from 4 to 8 way has some resistance to it. I took the stick apart and filed down the plastic hump that creates the resistance(sorry no pictures), don’t worry; the servo will prevent anything from moving. I used some flat 1/16” x ½” aluminum bar stock for the linkage, in addition to filing the hump down I also had to drill a hole through the switching lever to attach the linkage to, you can’t test the linkage until you get the servo working, which is the next step.

Next you are going to need a controller to control the servos, this is what I used http://www.pololu.com/catalog/category/12 , I used the 6 channel one.
Once you have your servos, you need to know their power requirements, the ones I used, require up to 6v, I had an old pencil sharpener that used a 6v power source but a 5v power source should work as well, it should be rated for a minimum of 1 amp.
Follow the directions when hooking up the power to the controller, there are only two wires to solder, the positive and negative and you will need a USB cable to attach the controller to your PC, all this is on the POLOLU website.

Now that you have constructed your linkage and attached it to your joystick and servo you have to figure out how much the servo must turn in order to move the lever from 4 to 8 way and back. Attach the usb cable to the servo controller and your PC and plug in your power source and plug in your servo to the controller, you may hear the servo react when you do this. Open up the Maestro Control Center, now it’s just a matter of trial and error setting the min and max setting which is done on the Channel Setting page. Then go to the Status page, move the sliders to see how far the servo is turning, the settings I used are in the pictures below but I promise yours will be different, if you hear the servo chattering that means you have gone a little too far and need to back off a little, it takes a little while but it’s not hard to figure out.
I didn’t write a Script like someone else had done on the forum but thanks to DaOld Man’s new Joychoose Plug-in, all I had to do was write two batch files using the usccmd command. The usccmd is part of the Maestro Control Center download, it allows you to issue simple commands to the servo, like moving the servos.
These are the batch files I created;
First 4way
@echo off
usccmd --device 0001430 --servo 1, 1000
usccmd --device 0001430 --servo 2, 1000
usccmd --device 0001430 --servo 3, 1000

8way
@echo off
usccmd --device 0001430 --servo 1, 10000
usccmd --device 0001430 --servo 2, 10000
usccmd --device 0001430 --servo 3, 10000

The one thing you have to remember when using this command is, you have to multiply whatever you entered as your min and max values in the Maestro Control Center by 4. The nice thing I found out is, you don’t need to use the exact amount, the servo won’t go past whatever you entered in the Control Center, so you could use a small number for you min value and a very large number for you max value.
To create a batch file open notebook and enter the usccmd commands like my example, you may have to change the servo number(s)(I used servos 1, 2 and 3) and the amount you want the servo to move. Since I am using two controllers, I needed to use the device command and the controller's ID number. If you will only be using one controller then the device command is not needed.
There should be a space after usccmd and 2 dash lines before servo. Save the file as All Files and add .bat to the name, mine are 4way.bat and 8way.bat. If you try and run these files and the servo moves, you got it right.
I would like to thank Ken "DaOld Man", for all his assistance, without his help and new plug-in, I wouldn't have been able to do this.

« Last Edit: May 12, 2012, 02:30:50 pm by darthpaul »
"You don't know the power of the Dark Side"
Automated Cabinet
Nintendo Pi
PiCubed

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 14, 2024, 06:01:28 pm
  • <insert personal text here>
Re: Automated 4/8way switching joystick control
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2012, 11:03:42 pm »
Excellent walkthrough  :applaud:

DaOld Man

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 13, 2023, 12:03:14 am
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2012, 01:11:20 am »

darthpaul

• Offline Offline
  • Join, It's your duty
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2012, 08:57:09 am »
Thanks guys, servos can be very addictive.  ;D
Automated Cabinet
Nintendo Pi
PiCubed

ArcadeSeeker962

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 30, 2012, 09:58:05 am
  • Yes, a fighting snow man does exist!
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2012, 08:01:56 pm »
Thank you for referring me to this thread. You guys are really helping me to pry me out of my shell. I know this topic is a few months old, so I hope you don't mind me asking these questions:

1). If I mess up taking apart the Ultimarc Mag-stik, would you recommend buying a few more of the same product just in case?
2). How does the servo attach to the Ultimarc Mag-Stik?
3). Where's the best place to buy 1/16 x 1/2 aluminum bar stock?
4). Does everything plug right in to the Channel 6 servo controller?
5). Is it compatible with the Mini-Pac?
6. How do I figure out their power requirements?
7. How does the Maestro Control Center work together with Joychoose?
8. Is JoyChoose only compatible with MaLa? Or can it work with Game Ex as well?

By the way, I really like this concept. It fascinates me how you all were able to merge both RC technology and Arcade technology into one. Since I've been learning some programming skills(thanks to ROMCenter and Game Ex), this should be easy to set up(once I reach to that development point in the development of the MAME Cabinet with my father). Also, my father has some soldering skills, so this should be easy to set-up(I should of listened to DaOldMan the first time around :) ). I'm even considering going back to using MaLa. I apologize if I asked too many questions, I'm just new to this concept.  

« Last Edit: May 06, 2012, 08:03:43 pm by ArcadeSeeker962 »

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2012, 09:18:55 pm »
1). If I mess up taking apart the Ultimarc Mag-stik, would you recommend buying a few more of the same product just in case?

No.  Just don't use a hammer to take it apart.  Go slow and any pieces you aren't actively using put in a ziplock bag so they don't get lost.  You'll do fine.

2). How does the servo attach to the Ultimarc Mag-Stik?

Please check out DarthPaul's and Terrahwk's threads.  

What you have here is an actuating arm attached to the lever on the magstick plus.  I'd do it just like this.

3). Where's the best place to buy 1/16 x 1/2 aluminum bar stock?

Home Depot and Lowes both carry this product.  Hardware aisle in the same bin as all the sheet metal and angle stock

4). Does everything plug right in to the Channel 6 servo controller?

Yup

5). Is it compatible with the Mini-Pac?

The magstick is, it is a micro switch controlled joystick and you hook it up just as you would any other joystick.  The servo communicates through the servo controller.  You communicate with the servo controller through some very simple batch files.

6). How do I figure out their power requirements?

It's written in the description on the polulu page.  Any recommended servo (via the wiki, my build, Darth's and Terrahawks) all use 5v.  You can get 5v from USB but it's not that reliable on some computers so I recommend using a cheap powered USB hub or if you have an ATX power supply just grab your 5v from there.  

7). How does the Maestro Control Center work together with Joychoose?

Joychoose can run exe or bat files.  You will write two batch files.  One that puts the controller into 4 way and one for 8 way.  You will save these in a folder and then use the Joychoose setup menu to tell Joychoose where they are.  Then when you select the game joychoose will execute the appropriate file.

8 ). Is JoyChoose only compatible with MaLa? Or can it work with Game Ex as well?

Right now it's MALA unless DaOld Man tells me I'm wrong.  

Check out the wiki, it's a different joystick but everything else will be the same.  

http://wiki.arcadecontrols.com/wiki/4way_to_8way_Auto-switching_Joystick_Mod

« Last Edit: May 06, 2012, 09:20:29 pm by Le Chuck »

ArcadeSeeker962

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2012, 09:10:00 pm »
Thank you for answering my questions, Le Chuck. I checked out the threads and wiki pages that you linked me to, and it helped me understand how this works. Now I just have some more questions to ask.

1). To plug my parts into a servo 6 controller, would I just have to buy some Joystick/Pushbutton wire harness-to-servo converter wire, or would a ordinary wiring harness from another online store be able to hook up a Joystick/Push Button to a servo controller?

2). Where can I buy an actuating arm from?

3). How do I make batch files? Could you refer to a thread or tutorial on how to make batch files? Do I have to make a batch file for each type of file(exe and bat)?

4). Would you recommend buying the parts I need first to practice making an automated joystick control panel before making the arcade cabinet itself?

5). Where can I buy the positive and negative wires individually, that are soldered onto the automated joystick?

6). Would you recommend only buying the servo that darthpaul used, or will any servo work(as long as it includes the wires attached to it(like the one the darthpaul listed)?

7). If I decide to buy the Groovy Game Gear Omni Stick II, will I have to install a worm gear into the restrictor gate(like what the theory was in the wiki) in order to automate the joystick, or don't I need one to automate the Groovy Game Gear Omni Stick II?

8 ). I'm using a Belkin USB device-connector(I'm not really sure what the exact term is), with multiple USB ports. The problem is that, one of the USB ports is a special USB port. There is also one red light, and four green lights for each port that light up. Would that type of USB-device connector work with an automated control panel?

9). If the answer to question 4 is yes, for when I make a two-player control panel for my cabinet, would you recommend doubling up on servo-6 controllers?

10). Is a 6-channel USB servo controller enough for a one-player controller panel with one joystick and six buttons(like what terrahawk did), or will I need another interface to make it work correctly?

I apologize that this was more questions than last time, it's just that I want to make sure I have all the information I need before automating a joystick. Now that I know that an automated Joystick is only compatible with MaLa, I'll go ahead and switch back to MaLa.

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2012, 09:40:10 pm »
A lot of these questions don't really make sense.  I'll explain as best I can under each one.  Up front tho this project can be described as DIY advanced or at least moderate and for someone with limited build experience it can be daunting.

1). To plug my parts into a servo 6 controller, would I just have to buy some Joystick/Pushbutton wire harness-to-servo converter wire, or would a ordinary wiring harness from another online store be able to hook up a Joystick/Push Button to a servo controller?

The Micro Maestro 6 CHANNEL servo controller is capable of controlling up to 6 servos at one time.  You will still require a keyboard or joystick encoder like the Minipac to interface with your buttons and joys.  The servo comes with the required cables to hook up to the servo controller if you get them both from polulu. 

2). Where can I buy an actuating arm from?

You will need to make your own for this application, at this time there is no comercial source available as this is not an off the shelf modification.  I made mine from aluminum bar stock.  The servo will come with some small actuating arms that you will attach to the aluminum one you make.

3). How do I make batch files? Could you refer to a thread or tutorial on how to make batch files? Do I have to make a batch file for each type of file(exe and bat)?

A bat is a batch file.  Google is your friend.  First read the wiki on batch files and there are lots of how to's but the code shown above in this thread is a batch file.  All you do is drop that code into Notepad and save as [Name].bat then the file will be executable by double clicking.

4). Would you recommend buying the parts I need first to practice making an automated joystick control panel before making the arcade cabinet itself?

Nah, you're not going to give up on having an arcade cabinet if you can't get this so go ahead and start your build.  If it doesn't work out you've still got the Magsticks that you can switch by reaching through a coin door or lifting up your CP if it's hinged. 

5). Where can I buy the positive and negative wires individually, that are soldered onto the automated joystick?

A wire is not positive or negative, it is only a wire.  It carries the charge of whatever you hook it up to.  Radio shack has spools of wire, go get some 18 or 20 gauge.  Some people like to have + as red and neutral or ground as black.  I just wire everything the same color but I'm experienced with wiring so don't have a hard time keeping track on small scale projects.

6). Would you recommend only buying the servo that darthpaul used, or will any servo work(as long as it includes the wires attached to it(like the one the darthpaul listed)?

I think Darth and I used the same servo.  It is relatively inexpensive and has been shown to work.  Feel free to strike out on your own but why reinvent the wheel?

7). If I decide to buy the Groovy Game Gear Omni Stick II, will I have to install a worm gear into the restrictor gate(like what the theory was in the wiki) in order to automate the joystick, or don't I need one to automate the Groovy Game Gear Omni Stick II?

No, my Omni two is currently hooked up as shown in the wiki and works very well.  The worm gear is the proposed evolutionary step of this mod.  Eventually the idea is that the joystick has the worm gear and motor build in with limit switches so that the joystick can be sold as a self contained autorotating unit that only requires 5v axillary power.  That's the future tho man, that's head in the clouds stuff.  We're not there yet.  Come back to earth with us. 

8 ). I'm using a Belkin USB device-connector(I'm not really sure what the exact term is), with multiple USB ports. The problem is that, one of the USB ports is a special USB port. There is also one red light, and four green lights for each port that light up. Would that type of USB-device connector work with an automated control panel?

Do you have to plug it into the wall with a power cord or does it draw power from the USB port?  If from the port then no, it's not going to provide you enough juice.  If from the wall it "should" I'd tell you to check it with a multimeter but I'm guessing you don't know how to use one and the multimeter is not a tool that should be used lightly as you can do serious damage to yourself and equipment by using it improperly.  Turn the belkin over and on the bottom it should have a data plate that describes what the output is.

9). If the answer to question 4 is yes, for when I make a two-player control panel for my cabinet, would you recommend doubling up on servo-6 controllers?

No, you only need one Maestro servo controller.  It can control multiple servos.  If you plan right and get everything lined up you don't even need two servos, you can just run the arm from one joystick to the other.  Note that the longer your arm the weaker your servo so plan well or just get a second servo. 

10). Is a 6-channel USB servo controller enough for a one-player controller panel with one joystick and six buttons(like what terrahawk did), or will I need another interface to make it work correctly?

It has no impact on how many buttons or joysticks you have. It only talks to servos.  If you have more than six servos on your cp then DarthPaul wants blueprints.  You will not need anything other than what is described in Darth's post and the wiki, which aside from the joystick used are identical. 

DaOld Man

• Offline Offline
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2012, 09:57:19 pm »
Right now it's MALA unless DaOld Man tells me I'm wrong.  

You are correct, Joychoose is a Mala plugin, and only works with Mala.

ArcadeSeeker962

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2012, 11:22:23 am »
Thank you for answering my questions, Le Chuck. That helped explain things better. I really had no idea that installing a worm gear was considered a future concept. I would also like to apologize that my questions didn't make sense. I just want to make sure I have all of the information I need before assembling a control panel powered by automated controls. So I apologize for the fact that my questions were confusing. I do agree with you on "Why re-inventing the wheel". I could see how that could cause confusion. My Belkin doesn't mention anything about a power output, and it's powered by my hard drive, so I guess it doesn't qualify.  I don't know how to use a multimeter, so I won't take the risk. As for my limited build experience, I'm up for the challenge of auto-mating my control panel.  ;)

darthpaul

• Offline Offline
  • Join, It's your duty
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2012, 08:54:08 pm »
What Le Chuck said, and he said a lot.  :applaud:
This is not difficult stuff, I'll just touch on a few of your questions. Do I think you should use the servos that I did, I think you should , yes they are from China and cheaply made but you are not using them to control a thousand dollar remote control airplane, they are good enough for moving a lever on a joystick. I would recommend using two separate servos for each joystick, the linkage will be easier and the servos are cheap. For power requirements, I recommend a 5 volt power supply that has a minimum of one amp for each servo you will be using, don't use power from your USB ports to run the servos, it won't be enough.  The power source is attached directly to the servo controller, you are also going to need to run a USB cable from the servo controller to a USB port on your PC, this is used so you can control the Maestro servo controller from you PC and to power the controller. The servos have wires attached to them, you just plug them into the pins on the controller, just make sure you plug them in the correct way.
Just to let you know Le Chuck, I traded in my 6 channel controller for a 12 channel, I told you servos were addictive.
If you can think of any more questions Arcadeseeker962 just ask. This weekend I am going to try and post some pictures.
Automated Cabinet
Nintendo Pi
PiCubed

ArcadeSeeker962

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2012, 10:47:13 pm »
Thank you for clearing a few things up for me, darthpaul. I'll be putting together the information that was given to me to show my father. He's alright with me automating my control panel, he'd just like to learn more about how it works, so this information will be perfect to show him. I have no problem with buying a servo from china, since china's starting to dominate the technology market with Emulator Handhelds(such as the Dingoo Digital, for example). I'll be careful with the servo's. Since I'm starting to understand this concept more(I'll keep reading the threads as well), I just have a few more questions to ask:

1). Do the wires from the servo control hook up to the Joystick micro switches?
2). Does this qualify as a good 5V power supply with one amp ?
http://www.amazon.com/100-240V-Power-Supply-Adapter-PW550/dp/B002P6IC8Y/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1336530937&sr=8-13
3). Do I double up on USB Cables as well, or will that confuse the Maestro Control Center? If not, does Pololu or another store sell a special wire that can hook up to two channel 6 servo's?
4). Are there any online instructions or instructions drawed up on how to connect to connect the servo to each channel 6 servo the correct way? If so, does the channel 6 server controller from Pololu come with instructions on how to hook up a servo to a channel 6 servo controller? If not, is there instructions on this forum on how to hook them up the correct way?

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2012, 01:35:06 am »

1). Do the wires from the servo control hook up to the Joystick micro switches?

See the answers to Q1 & Q10 of my last post.  No.  Nope.  Not at all.  Under no uncertain circumstances.   

2). Does this qualify as a good 5V power supply with one amp ?
http://www.amazon.com/100-240V-Power-Supply-Adapter-PW550/dp/B002P6IC8Y/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1336530937&sr=8-13

Looks good to me.  You'll have to hack the cable and you'll need to be careful about which is the positive because those round plugs can be either way. 

3). Do I double up on USB Cables as well, or will that confuse the Maestro Control Center? If not, does Pololu or another store sell a special wire that can hook up to two channel 6 servo's?

Why would you need to do this?  One control board one USB cable.  Power cable goes into the control board and the servo draws power from that board using the cable harness that comes with the servo.

4). Are there any online instructions or instructions drawed up on how to connect to connect the servo to each channel 6 servo the correct way? If so, does the channel 6 server controller from Pololu come with instructions on how to hook up a servo to a channel 6 servo controller? If not, is there instructions on this forum on how to hook them up the correct way?

Yes, Pololu has a forum with some first rate walk-throughs on implementation of their products. I would take all my cues on servo to controller interface from the staff at Pololu as this is their bread and butter. 

darthpaul

• Offline Offline
  • Join, It's your duty
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2012, 03:03:52 am »
Remember if you are going to use two servos, one for each joystick you will need a 2 amp power supply, Ebay has this one http://www.ebay.com/itm/US-DC-5V-2A-Switching-Power-Supply-adapter-100-240-AC-/280617446384?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item41561a6bf0. Like Le Chuck said, you will need to cut the adapter tip off to connect the wires to the servo controller, use a multi-tester to determine which wire is the neg and which is the pos. Here is the link to the Pololu servo controller, most of your questions can be answer here. http://www.pololu.com/catalog/product/1350 , you can purchase the USB cable there as well.
Automated Cabinet
Nintendo Pi
PiCubed

DaOld Man

• Offline Offline
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2012, 06:58:48 am »
If you dont have a mutimeter you can use a potato to check polarity:

http://www.cbv.ns.ca/bec/martin/sci42.html

I highly suggest you pick up a cheap multimeter and learn how to use it. They are very handy and almost a must have in this hobby.

ArcadeSeeker962

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2012, 08:44:52 pm »
If you dont have a mutimeter you can use a potato to check polarity:

http://www.cbv.ns.ca/bec/martin/sci42.html

I highly suggest you pick up a cheap multimeter and learn how to use it. They are very handy and almost a must have in this hobby.

I'm actually planning on buying a multimeter along with everything else I need for this project. All of the money I save up in the summer will be put towards all of the controls for the control panel, along with everything I need to automate the joysticks on the control panel. Thank you again, Le Chuck, for answering my questions. I just have four more questions to ask, and then if I need more help, I'll go on the Polulu forums or contact Polulu.

1). Is it recommended to use a PS/2-powered control panel in conjunction with automated Joysticks?

2). I read on the link to the webpage that darthpaul gave me that "Units can be daisy-chained with additional Pololu servo and motor controllers on a single serial line.". Does that mean that the channel 6 servo controllers are compatible with Daisy Chain wires, and then use one USB cable to connect them to a PC? If so, does Pololu sell them or would I have to buy them elsewhere?

3). Is it recommended to plug the AC Adapter directly into an outlet in the wall, or can it be plugged into a surge protector as well? If not, would a surge protector produce too much amounts of Volts and Amps for automated joysticks?

4). Is the "tip" of an AC Adapter where the round-colored circle is at the end of the connection(such as the black circle over the metal tube at the top of the one that I posted the link to)?

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2012, 10:35:06 pm »

1). Is it recommended to use a PS/2-powered control panel in conjunction with automated Joysticks?

Most computers have multiple USB ports, no reason not to use USB.  No reason not to use PS/2 either.  Flip a coin, do what you like, I use USB for all.  YMMV.

2). I read on the link to the webpage that darthpaul gave me that "Units can be daisy-chained with additional Pololu servo and motor controllers on a single serial line.". Does that mean that the channel 6 servo controllers are compatible with Daisy Chain wires, and then use one USB cable to connect them to a PC? If so, does Pololu sell them or would I have to buy them elsewhere?

Daisy Chain is a colloquial term for wiring in series.  One can also wire in parallel.  To explain:  Series would mean that both servos are plugged into the same control port on the servo controller.  Whatever you tell servo one to do servo two will do the same.  Wire in parallel means that servo two has a separate port on the servo controller board so servo one and servo two can act independently of each other.  They are not compatible with "daisy chain wires" as this is a way to run a wiring harness for your micro switches.  You have no need use or benefit to be gained from wiring in series.  Wire your servos in parallel.   

3). Is it recommended to plug the AC Adapter directly into an outlet in the wall, or can it be plugged into a surge protector as well? If not, would a surge protector produce too much amounts of Volts and Amps for automated joysticks?

The surge protector carries the same voltage as whatever it is plugged in.  That AC adapter has a built in voltage regulator which decreases what's in your wall or surge protector down to the advertised amount.  Surge protector is fine.

4). Is the "tip" of an AC Adapter where the round-colored circle is at the end of the connection(such as the black circle over the metal tube at the top of the one that I posted the link to)?

The tip is the terminal end, farthest from the wall plugs.  The entire end will need to be chopped leaving you two bare wires. 

ArcadeSeeker962

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2012, 05:02:59 pm »
Thank you for answering my questions again, Le Chuck. For now, I'll just study into this on my own. I'm going for the Opti-Pac, so I'm sure that will work just fine for automating the Joysticks on my control panel.

darthpaul

• Offline Offline
  • Join, It's your duty
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2012, 07:34:12 pm »
The Opti-pac, is used for trackballs and spinners, not the type of joysticks you will be using, you would need something like the Ultimarc Ipac 2 to connect your Joysticks. The Servos and Servo Controller have nothing to do with how the Joysticks interact with MAME, all they are going to do is push a lever on the bottom of the joystick to change it from 4way to 8way and back.     
Automated Cabinet
Nintendo Pi
PiCubed

ArcadeSeeker962

• Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2012, 11:08:30 pm »
The Opti-pac, is used for trackballs and spinners, not the type of joysticks you will be using, you would need something like the Ultimarc Ipac 2 to connect your Joysticks. The Servos and Servo Controller have nothing to do with how the Joysticks interact with MAME, all they are going to do is push a lever on the bottom of the joystick to change it from 4way to 8way and back.     

I'm understanding this concept more now, thank you for clearing that up for me. I actually decided on the I-Pac for my control panel instead(that's what I meant to say). I apologize for causing confusion.