Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: First Mame Cabinet help  (Read 1246 times)

Zrooney

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 27, 2018, 07:33:27 am
  • Master Procrastinator
First Mame Cabinet help
« on: January 31, 2012, 09:43:18 pm »
  I just ordered the controls today for the cabinet when it dawned on me, how am i going to turn the machine on/ off without going in the cabinet to turn it on and pulling out  a mouse to navigate the desktop to safely shut it off?  Should i Just have the Power Supply switch for the PC sticking out, or is there another, smarter way to do it?  I would be open to any  suggestions.

GregD

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2015, 02:26:41 pm
    • Arcade Nebula
Re: First Mame Cabinet help
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2012, 12:38:19 am »
There is all kinds of information in this forum regarding this.  I am using a smart power strip that turns everything on when the pc is turned on.  I wired my pc power switch to a regular arcade pushbutton and I use a sheller program to start right into Hyperspin FE.

Green Giant

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 29, 2016, 06:50:57 pm
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2012, 02:09:35 am »
Simplest is wire an arcade button to the computer power button.

It will boot up fine, and if you don't mess with any default settings, pressing it while running will cause it to safely and cleanly shutdown.
"He lives down there in his valley,
The cat stands tall and green,
Well, he ain't no prize, and there's no women his size,
And that's why the cat's so mean"
Toxic Arcade, my first build

Dervacumen

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 13, 2019, 10:11:11 pm
  • Home of Three Squares dice game
    • Beaker Games
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2012, 06:28:17 pm »
About half way down this page I show some pictures of how I hooked up a switched power supply.  A little further down is also a link to another diagram I found that draws it out pretty well.  I've used this for two cabinets and it works great for turning on everything with one push of a switch wired to your computer's power switch.
For hiding windows, go to the kiwi and check out the topic there.  It's pretty comprehensive.  I've never been one to just turn off the power by pressing the power switch again, but if it works for Green Giant, go for it.
Bringing to life a child's imagination.

Green Giant

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 29, 2016, 06:50:57 pm
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2012, 07:36:58 pm »
About half way down this page I show some pictures of how I hooked up a switched power supply.  A little further down is also a link to another diagram I found that draws it out pretty well.  I've used this for two cabinets and it works great for turning on everything with one push of a switch wired to your computer's power switch.
For hiding windows, go to the kiwi and check out the topic there.  It's pretty comprehensive.  I've never been one to just turn off the power by pressing the power switch again, but if it works for Green Giant, go for it.
You are describing building your own smart strip, device that sends power to specified outlets when the primary unit is powered on.

He was asking about providing power to the actual computer.  I am sure you did the same thing for your computer, but then that computer goes and turns on everything else in your cab.  Even your cab has to have some way of turning on the computer.

All I am talking about is power for the computer, and then how you can power down a computer safely by pressing the power button.
"He lives down there in his valley,
The cat stands tall and green,
Well, he ain't no prize, and there's no women his size,
And that's why the cat's so mean"
Toxic Arcade, my first build