Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Re: MAME Abduction- Update - 99.999% Complete?  (Read 143226 times)

TheShaner

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 23, 2017, 10:42:25 pm
  • Shut your noise tube filthy Taco Human!
Re: MAME Abduction- Update June 28 - Lighting
« Reply #200 on: June 28, 2012, 07:08:20 pm »
... apparently there is no way to delete a reply?  I guess I will just type stuff in here then.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 07:10:15 pm by TheShaner »

rablack97

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 11, 2022, 06:50:10 pm
  • If you don't try, you have no chance at innovation
« Reply #201 on: June 28, 2012, 07:33:42 pm »
I stand corrected, I went and looked at the LEDWIZ spec and 12v applications can be used.  I guess I didn't read it correctly, but your right, it would be a toggle of ground to led.

Not sure why that stuck in my head but I swore I read or someone told me to keep the leds specs to 5v......I dunno....Oh well that works out well for you then.

Looking forward to the next update.... :cheers:

TheShaner

• Offline Offline
« Reply #202 on: June 28, 2012, 07:37:01 pm »
You keep referring to LEDWIZ, do you mean PACLED64?  The LEDWIZ is the software driving it isnt it?

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #203 on: June 28, 2012, 07:40:07 pm »
No go to groovygamegear.com and they have something similar to andy's PACLED64, its called the LEDWIZ..

i checked out the PACLED64 as well, I'm sure they work the same.

The software most folks use is called LEDBLINKY.

TheShaner

• Offline Offline
« Reply #204 on: June 28, 2012, 07:42:21 pm »
Derp, that's right.  I paid for LEDBlinky a while back and should have known that. 

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #205 on: June 28, 2012, 07:51:52 pm »
Quick question, since you brought up the point of controlling 12v leds?

Why can't you wire up your neon rings to PAC64 they are 12v, your rings have a switch to where they remain constant on.....

Wondering why your using leds, when the rings should work the same........

TheShaner

• Offline Offline
« Reply #206 on: June 28, 2012, 08:12:27 pm »
Yes, I had originally wanted to try that.  Apparently though, I really wouldnt be albe to dim them and control them with the speed that the LED's work at.  Controlling the brightness on the LED's is just done through rapidly toggling the ground, so fast that the LED appears to dim, but in reality it is just the speed at which it is blinking.  You can't do that with the rings.  I want to have full control, so it soon became the wrong option.  Ive got some rings for sale if anyone wants them.  :-)

On another note, I have a smart strip.  It has 2 plugs that are always on though.  I want to use one of those to dish out some 12v current (namely for the green interior lights I just rigged up so I dont have to power up a power supply in order to flip on the light.) .  Can anyone tell me how I would go about taking a plug and turning it into viable 12v or 5v current that without buying yet another power supply? 

jammin0

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 13, 2023, 08:15:17 pm
« Reply #207 on: June 28, 2012, 10:22:04 pm »
Find a DC walwart adapter that outputs at 12v.  A couple of things to think about:  even though it says 12v on the adapter it will run at a higher voltage, make sure it is rated at enough current for your application.  Your led strips should have resistors already in them so as long as you give them 12-14 volts it should be fine.  In my experience, a wall adapter rated at 9 volts will usually put out close to 12V.  I have no idea for sure but I would guess that you need somewhere around 500mA to 1A rating.  Second hand stores usually have loads of miscellaneous wall adapters.

TheShaner

• Offline Offline
« Reply #208 on: June 28, 2012, 10:59:35 pm »
Cool, thanks jam. Another question .... I am wiring up my LED buttons right now for the PACLED. I had planned on doing one big daisy chain for the positive wire then running it to the PAC. Is that a flawed plan?  Are you only supposed to do a few, run it to the PAC on one of its positives, then start a new chain and run a few more on that chain to another positive pin on the PAC?  If the PAC is not capable of handling all of the 32 LEDs I have I'm the cp on one positive chain, maybe I can get the power off the molex connector from the power supply?

TheShaner

• Offline Offline
Re: MAME Abduction- Update - Jul 5 - 95% Completed
« Reply #209 on: July 05, 2012, 12:01:11 pm »
I talked to Andy at Ultimarc and he said a daisy chain from one positive terminal would be just fine, in case anyone was wondering ...

Well, Im getting really close.  I have things operational and just about done.  Here is a pic from yesterday ..

The new monitor is in, and works.  All joysticks, the trackball and spinner are wired and functional.

Here is what is still pending.

- Side art and Rings
- LED wiring to PACLED64
- LED's for under the cabinet
- Frontend work (Add all the other emulators and support files)

I am going to knock out the LED's in the control panel tomorrow night.  I cannot wait to see this thing lit up!

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 25, 2024, 08:10:48 pm
« Reply #210 on: July 05, 2012, 12:04:27 pm »
Looks awesome! (and right at home).
It's good to see the monitor working.  :)

Seith

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 08, 2018, 10:50:41 am
« Reply #211 on: July 05, 2012, 03:59:14 pm »
Looks fantastic!  Great build thread, and the result is a thing of beauty :)

TheShaner

• Offline Offline
« Reply #212 on: July 06, 2012, 12:53:15 am »
Thanks Seith. It has come together way better than I couldd have imagined. Now I'm working through all of the fun little details that will really bring all of this together.

I'm debating the idea of routing out some alien symbols in the base of the control panel, covering them with white plexi on the inside and throwing some LEDs behind them. I think it would look cool, but am being cautious in this phase of the game. It looks really kick ass now, I don't want to spoil things by going too far.

GIZMOGAMES

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 28, 2019, 10:33:46 pm
« Reply #213 on: July 06, 2012, 03:16:17 am »
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/140750792176?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649
this should give you control over your rings its remote control and has 3 options on off or dimmer level :D that should work fine :)
apart from that ide say leave the machine how it is if anywhere put the led alien head idea in the base :P

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 11:39:28 am
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #214 on: July 06, 2012, 04:08:47 am »
I'm debating the idea of routing out some alien symbols in the base of the control panel, covering them with white plexi on the inside and throwing some LEDs behind them.

Did a double take when I read this thinking that you meant on your CP surface where the buttons and joysticks are.  :o   Then I re-read it.   :lol

If you're referring to the ~4" tall vertical black sides that support the control panel, it might work, but I'm not sure how much "bang for your buck" you'll get out of it.  Seems like the CP overhang will block the view for anyone standing fairly close.

Right now, your art and side rings are between the heights of the CP and the marquee -- in the normal line of sight for most people.

The proposed symbols may bring people's eyes further down which can draw attention to the fact that the kick panel is plain, so you embellish that which can draw attention to the fact that the lower part of the side panels are plain. . .

Part of what makes artists great is knowing what not to include.

I think it's already a masterpiece.   :applaud:

Scott

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #215 on: July 06, 2012, 09:50:02 am »
I'm debating the idea of routing out some alien symbols in the base of the control panel, covering them with white plexi on the inside and throwing some LEDs behind them.

I think it's already a masterpiece.   :applaud:

Scott

+1 :applaud: :applaud: :applaud: :applaud:

TheShaner

• Offline Offline
« Reply #216 on: July 06, 2012, 10:00:05 am »
Thanks!  I was drinking last night when I wrote that.  Im not carving anything into my box!

Gizmo, I need to have control of the rings from the PC and time it in with the rest of the LED's, so I am going to be running 12v off of a molex connector, and the N's from the PACLED and throwing LED strips around the lights.  I have a second PACLED that I am using strictly for the lights in the cabinet (Marquee, rings, under the cab) so I should be good. 

TheShaner

• Offline Offline
« Reply #217 on: July 06, 2012, 10:19:56 am »
One thing I meant to bring up ...

My IPac4 is acting goofy since I hit program on it a few days ago.  Now I have multiple buttons with the same letter.  Does anyone know if there is a way to reassign the keys that each input on the board represents through the WinIPAC software?  Basically reprogramming the IPAC itself?  I know there is a way to do this with a PS2 keyboard using the method here:  http://www.ultimarc.com/interact.html , but I am thinking somehow I jacked it up in the WinIPAC software and would like to fix it there.  If I didnt do it, then something may be goofy with my card.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #218 on: July 06, 2012, 10:24:12 am »
Thanks!  I was drinking last night when I wrote that.  Im not carving anything into my box!

Whew. . . .  Glad your vision is clear again.

For a bit there it looked like you were thinking about making a putty nose.   :laugh2:

Scott

TheShaner

• Offline Offline
« Reply #219 on: July 06, 2012, 10:37:25 am »
That was the funniest ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- ever, Le Chuck is a profound sage ...

TheShaner

• Offline Offline
Re: MAME Abduction- Update - Jul 17 - 96% Completed
« Reply #220 on: July 17, 2012, 10:55:50 am »
Well I am getting really close to being done, I just need to get my empty rings on the side cut and work out a few remaining details, so time for an update!

Hardware
- The cabinet is done, barring the empty holes in the side which I have gone over.  They are a little expensive to get cut, so I havent quite gotten around to them yet, but soon.

- I still need to run some green LED's under the cabinet for the underglow.

- I think I might put a single green LED or two on the underside of the control panel for more ambient light.

- There are still 2 LED's in the control panel that need to be lit up.  I like the idea of having lit joysticks, but the problem is when you twist the joystick while playing, the wires get wrapped up.  So you need to check it frequently.  I also need to light up the trackball.

- My fans on the motherboard are a little loud, so I will probably look for some silent replacements.

Software

-  MAME is pretty much configured.  I am now using groovymame, which seems to run a little smoother with my Makvision 29" monitor.  It also has the highscore.dat support which is a must.

-  MALA - I have been working on the skin for this, and bounced back and forth between a few ideas.  I didnt want to get too crazy, because the interface should be simple to use.  I have seen a lot of good designers put out crappy interfaces that looked cool, but were too complicated.  Simple = Cleaner & Easier to use.  So here is what I have ended up with:

I am going to change the cabinet out for a TV Set and the console for the console games, a computer for the PC games, etc.

- Emulators - So far I have MAME, NES, SNES, N64 and Daphne set up.  I will need to finish out the rest of the ones I plan on using.

Here is a video I shot yesterday of it in action:  MAME Abduction Gameplay

Vidiot

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 10:00:17 am
  • John 3:16
« Reply #221 on: July 17, 2012, 11:17:52 am »
This is turning out great! I love the Mala layout as well!  :cheers:

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #222 on: July 17, 2012, 11:34:32 am »
 :applaud: :applaud: :applaud:

Also on the lit j-stiks the wire doesn't get twisted as the led is soldered into the top of the shaft.  The only issue I've had is the ball top twisting loose at times, but a little epoxy or super glue would fix that...

I've used my stiks for over 3 years on my rig and my wires haven't twisted yet.

:cheers:

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #223 on: July 17, 2012, 11:41:03 am »
- There are still 2 LED's in the control panel that need to be lit up.  I like the idea of having lit joysticks, but the problem is when you twist the joystick while playing, the wires get wrapped up.  So you need to check it frequently.  I also need to light up the trackball.

Randy and Bryan both have what you need for this one:

GGG version is the "SlipWire™ Swiveling Interconnect for Rotatable Controls"

Paradise Arcade version is the "Ultimate Arcade Slip Ring"

How well do they work? - Seeing is believing.

Scott

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #224 on: July 17, 2012, 01:50:26 pm »
I understand you're probably still tweaking things, but just in case you didn't know,
you can eliminate everything in parenthesis from the game names by going to:
Options>GUI>Options>Gamelists/Misc
and checking "Remove brackets from names (On The Fly)"

It's also possible to right justify the gamelist and make it curved to match the curve of the  box it's in, if so inclined.
(transformation=round for the gamelist in malalayout)

Looking good!
 :cheers:

TheShaner

• Offline Offline
« Reply #225 on: July 17, 2012, 01:56:12 pm »

Randy and Bryan both have what you need for this one:

GGG version is the "SlipWire™ Swiveling Interconnect for Rotatable Controls"

Paradise Arcade version is the "Ultimate Arcade Slip Ring"

Freaking sweet!  I dont care what anyone says, those wires are getting twisted.  I have barely had mine functional for 2 weeks now and I already had a big knot almost in one of them.  So these will work out well.

I understand you're probably still tweaking things, but just in case you didn't know,
you can eliminate everything in parenthesis from the game names by going to:
Options>GUI>Options>Gamelists/Misc
and checking "Remove brackets from names (On The Fly)"

It's also possible to right justify the gamelist and make it curved to match the curve of the  box it's in, if so inclined.
(transformation=round for the gamelist in malalayout)

Thanks.  I did know about the brackets, but I am leaving them in while I am working on my playable list.  It helps make sure I can tell the difference between the versions before I add it to my "Abduction" list.

I did not think of the rounded list option though.  That is kind of what I was trying to do with the size gradient, but it sounds like this will actually work a lot better.  I will give it a try!

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #226 on: July 17, 2012, 05:07:12 pm »
Freaking sweet!  I dont care what anyone says, those wires are getting twisted.  I have barely had mine functional for 2 weeks now and I already had a big knot almost in one of them.  So these will work out well.

It may be how the jstik was made, I got my hollow shaft and leds from a guy in Germany and I haven't had any problems.  I guess I'm confused on why you would be twisting your stick that much anyway to get a knot.  The led in my shaft doesn't move and has enough clearance in the ball top to where when the ball top spins or loosens the the led won't move.  Only thing I have to do at times is tighten the ball top.....So I guess it's all in how your sticks were made.  Epyx turned me on to the guy and has the same sticks as well and I dont think has a twisting problem.....Either way it's gonna cost you some extra cash to fix your issue and those gadgets seem to be the way to go.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2012, 05:09:33 pm by rablack97 »

TheShaner

• Offline Offline
« Reply #227 on: July 18, 2012, 10:06:24 am »
It's definitely how the stick was made.  it twists a little easily and with play eventually gets twisted a lot.  Where the wires come out of the bottom is also filled with some silicone, holding the wires to the bottom of the shaft.  So if the shaft twists a little, the wires do too.  Flaw in design perhaps.  Regardless, I have some of the twister doo dahs on order now.

TheShaner

• Offline Offline
Re: MAME Abduction- Update - Jul 20 - 96% Done - LED's Completed
« Reply #228 on: July 20, 2012, 10:25:36 pm »
Got the LED's finished today.

Here's a quick video. 

I havent done much configuring yet, but it looks pretty sweet.  I think I am going to get a PACHID to run the cabinet lights.  The second PACLED64 cannot handle the load the light strings and marquee are going to draw.

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #229 on: July 21, 2012, 11:26:26 am »
 :applaud: :applaud: :applaud: :applaud:

The glow at the bottom is pretty sweet

TheShaner

• Offline Offline
« Reply #230 on: July 21, 2012, 12:15:33 pm »
Thanks black. I am going to dim it a bit once I get a PAC hooked up to it.

TheShaner

• Offline Offline
« Reply #231 on: July 21, 2012, 12:21:56 pm »
Sometimes my LEDs will all start blinking together. It looks as if it is an error of some sort.  When it happens, the lights will initially flicker a little, sporadically.   Then eventually go to a consistent on and off blink.  I think it may have something to do with the cheap USB hub I have it plugged in to.  I will probably try and go straight to the motherboard and see what happens.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2012, 07:17:43 pm by TheShaner »

rablack97

• Offline Offline
Re: MAME Abduction- Update - Jul 17 - 96% Done - LEDs Complete
« Reply #232 on: July 21, 2012, 07:33:24 pm »
LOL, it's all that power......12v leds all over the place.....Light bill about to go sky high...... :laugh2:

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #233 on: July 22, 2012, 06:40:46 pm »
Looks awesome!  :cheers:

There's a way to ditch the Mala "starting" box and replace it with an image of your own, but I haven't done it myself yet.
You could have "please wait while game is abducted" or something.  :lol

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #234 on: July 23, 2012, 04:17:30 am »
You could have "please wait while game is abducted" or something.  :lol

Insert "probing" joke here.  :scared :o

Scott

TheShaner

• Offline Offline
Re: MAME Abduction- Update - Aug 4 - 97% Done - LEDs Rings and Sideart
« Reply #235 on: August 04, 2012, 06:53:13 pm »
Made a little more progress towards completion today...

Seeing as how I cannot control Neon lights as well as LED's, I decided to nix the rings and come up with my own version. Here's what I did:

First I printed out the artwork on some vinyl meant for car graphics

Then ordered two plexiglass circles from ebay for 4 bucks each

I adhered the art to the plexi and this was the finished product

I had two rings cut out of white plexi.  The outer circumference was the same as the black plexi, then a quarter inch in a circle was cut out of them.

I glued those together then wrapped an LED strip around that

Once done there, I mounted to the inside of the cab and wired it up.  Heres the end result:

It came out pretty sweet.  I actually like being able to see the individual lights almost through the white.  It makes the ring look ribbed. It's a nice effect.

I just need to wire them to my PAC now so I can get control over them.

Lastly, this is just a neat pic.

« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 10:42:42 am by TheShaner »

Drnick

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 06, 2023, 01:19:48 pm
  • Plodding Through Life
Re: MAME Abduction- Update - Aug 4 - 97% Done - LED Rings and Sideart
« Reply #236 on: August 05, 2012, 04:00:31 pm »
They look the nuts they do.  And best of all you can control what they do :)

Santoro

• Purveyor of Shiny Arcade Goodness
  • Santoro
  • Trade Count: (+32)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 23, 2023, 07:05:04 pm
  • Boycott Quarters!!!
    • ArcadeReplay!
« Reply #237 on: August 05, 2012, 06:24:02 pm »
Fantastic.... that is all.

TheShaner

• Offline Offline
« Reply #238 on: August 06, 2012, 02:00:49 am »
Thanks, they really do look kick ass in person. I prefer them over the neon for sure, personal preferance though. Definitely a good alternative to neon if you Are going that route.   The control of neon vs led seals the deal for me.

griffindodd

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 29, 2023, 02:43:19 pm
  • Builds Stuff
« Reply #239 on: August 06, 2012, 06:23:42 pm »
Nice Shaner, that looks completely badass. I've got a few spools of the RGB LED strip and I'm still schemeing as to where I'll be using them.
I drink and I know things.