Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Re: MAME Abduction- Update - 99.999% Complete?  (Read 143266 times)

TheShaner

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 23, 2017, 10:42:25 pm
  • Shut your noise tube filthy Taco Human!
Re: MAME Abduction
« Reply #40 on: February 14, 2012, 10:35:48 am »
Awesome stuff.  Thanks Black.  Im glad you posted this, I was actually thinking of mounting them in a completely different manner, but this is a much more solid approach.  I also like that the rings behind the wood, and thus producing an indirect glow. I will more than likely route the holes in the cab today then.

I have actually located some green neon rings, and had called the manufacturer to get an inner measurement on them, but was still waiting for a call back on that.  So your post was well timed.  I will still verify the size, but 14 inches is looking like the ticket from everything Ive seen.

That plasma disc looks really cool inside your cab.   :notworthy:  Props!

On a different note, I am really debating the laminate vs paint option.  Laminate is nice, resistant to dings and looks overall like it was made in a professional shop, but I am also thinking with a spray gun, I could do a nice transition from Green at the bottom to black on top.  Almost like the lettering in the logo.  Ahh, decisions decisions ....

rablack97

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 11, 2022, 06:50:10 pm
  • If you don't try, you have no chance at innovation
« Reply #41 on: February 14, 2012, 12:17:57 pm »
Epyx could give you more feedback on the laminate. It is durable and it's so much easier to work with.

Although there's nothing like the pop of a good paint job.....Heed the words "GOOD".  Lots of elbow grease involved, and if its not good it looks like steaming pile of horse manure.

Take a look at this thread, JaveryH did a killer job on Bella http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=59828.0

I'm sure your familiar with Ond's work, but his stuff in from a different galactic race.  http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=88912.0  Huge thread but so many innovations, will make your head spin.

Read through this one too..Gamester did lumin discs and circle cutouts as well...and posted one the is best spray paint can paint jobs i've ever seen. Unbelievable, the finish was a mirror  http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=94891.0

Finally, check out rdowney's cab...this site has lots of photos and it should give you some great ideas for your cab, he was one of the guys that guided me through my build, especially during the wiring phase....http://rdowney.com/arcadeodyssey/

I attempted Gamester's approach, it turned out ok, but as i was moving it upstairs I took a huge chunk out of my beautiful paint job with the table saw.  So about 2 weeks worth of work was basically ruined.  I just filled it in and it just so happens to be on the side no one will ever really see.  So paint is pretty if you dont gash it.  I"ve also heard laminate gets pretty pricey.  So its all about budget and preference really.

Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 12:26:43 pm by rablack97 »

Epyx

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 25, 2023, 07:56:36 pm
  • "You're an oddity"
« Reply #42 on: February 14, 2012, 05:24:08 pm »
Epyx could give you more feedback on the laminate. It is durable and it's so much easier to work with.

Paint is awesome when done with painstaking effort ie Bella's Cab, whereas laminate can probably be done by a small army of trained bonobo chimps..it's that easy to throw glue on some laminate and trim it for a perfect finish.

Cost is not that much more expensive when you factor in your labour...exterior sides and interior sides of a cab can be laminated within an hour for the whole job...even with a paint gun and sanding you would be hard pressed to have something approximating a laminate finish in an hour...spend multiple hours and it will undoubtedly look better but those are hours of your time.

I have done both and will likely stick to laminate for future projects as you can get it in almost any colour (special order).  I am also not above admitting that I stroke my cab from time to time in a gentle caressing fashion (hey its Valentines day...) and laminate feels nice.

Just my 2 cents :)
« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 05:44:46 pm by Epyx »
Last Project

Epyx Tutorials:
Tutorials

mgb

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 21, 2024, 06:18:13 pm
  • North East, US
« Reply #43 on: February 14, 2012, 08:47:26 pm »
I agree with Epyx on the laminate factor. I will only use laminate now because it makes for such an awesome finish.
I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one who caresses my cabinet every now and then.

Ond

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 18, 2024, 11:41:19 pm
« Reply #44 on: February 14, 2012, 09:04:12 pm »
I agree with Epyx on the laminate factor. I will only use laminate now because it makes for such an awesome finish.
I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one who caresses my cabinet every now and then.

Hah! I was into inappropriately groping my cab way back,  Epyx knows it, I described it ermmm somewhere in my proj thread  :laugh2:

TheShaner

• Offline Offline
« Reply #45 on: February 14, 2012, 09:06:43 pm »
I will have to think about this some. I was able to find 5 sheets on eBay for $130, which is reasonably priced.

The biggest question I have if I go laminate is assembly. If I do thing the way epyx did, I would be laminating first, then assembling. This means no screwing from the outside. So what does that leave me doing? Brackets all over the place?  Seems a little odd.

On another note, I ordered the 15" neon rings and the 3" happ green illuminated trackball today.  If I can make up my mind and get going in a direction, I could start assembly real soon.

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #46 on: February 14, 2012, 10:27:57 pm »
The biggest question I have if I go laminate is assembly. If I do thing the way epyx did, I would be laminating first, then assembling. This means no screwing from the outside. So what does that leave me doing? Brackets all over the place?  Seems a little odd.

Wouldn't you just countersink the screws through the bracing and screw in from the inside of the cab.

If memory serves me cause its been a while, i didnt have any holes on the outside of my cab and i didnt use any brackets..

Read hear I followed this guys plans as well, no holes on the outside of the cab.

http://www.arcadecab.com/CabinetPlans2/CabinetPlans2_Ledgers.html
« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 11:05:17 pm by rablack97 »

mgb

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 21, 2024, 06:18:13 pm
  • North East, US
« Reply #47 on: February 14, 2012, 11:51:58 pm »
Why not assemble the cab as normal and then laminate the outsides.

TheShaner

• Offline Offline
« Reply #48 on: February 15, 2012, 10:53:30 am »
Why not assemble the cab as normal and then laminate the outsides.

I am leaning towards this direction.  I would obviously have to laminate the back and top pieces first as there would be issues getting things flush.  There is also the issue of the exposed inside walls of the cab.  By this I mean the roughly 1" that I am going to have exposed by insetting everything.  I suppose I will probably paint that portion.  I plan on painting the front wood green much like Epyx did.  I have a unique idea or two for this front area...

TheShaner

• Offline Offline
« Reply #49 on: February 15, 2012, 09:32:36 pm »
Good sized update today... all good, with one major exception ...

I measured out the Makvision monitor I am going to order on cardboard to get a sense of placement and depth, and to determine the exact placement of the circular holes that I was going to cut for the side art.

With that worked out, I was able to get the side art holes cut with a very crude circle jig...

The finished cut

I also got my slot cutter in the mail today, woo hoo!

Here is where things took a turn for the worse ... I did a quick test for placement on a scrap, and all was fine.  Then I started routing one of my sides, and by the time I was done with part of it, I noticed the line was crooked.  WTF!  I reset the bit and started going again.  Man, this cut just got more and more jacked up.  By the time I routed the inner circle and the rest of the sides, I had weird cuts all over the place.   Upon closer inspection, I realized the bit was slipping.  :angry: Not sure how, it was tight!  But regardless.  I fiddled with it until I felt comfortable that it would slip again, and did the other side, the control panel and the front of the base without a hitch.  So, now Im thinking to myself, the jacked up side is either going to get redone, or maybe I can go over it again and salvage it.  So I rerouted the whole thing again.  I ended up with double slots in places ance really thick grooves in others.  Have a look at my pain ...  :cry:

Im pretty sure with enough wood glue and some patience, I can get the tmolding into this piece and get it to set.  Once it's in there, you shouldnt be able to tell.  What do you guys think?  I can redo the side all together if I need to, but I'd rather not!!  That's a lot of work!  Im pretty sure I can salvage it.

Other than that though, I am pleased with the amount of progress.  Im about to go back out to the garage and start building the base.  I would really like to get some upright progress by the weekend!

« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 09:42:45 pm by TheShaner »

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 08:00:17 pm
  • <insert personal text here>
« Reply #50 on: February 15, 2012, 09:53:23 pm »
I vote woodglue, just make sure you're locking into the correct slot or you'll be all off kilter.  You could use filler and then re-route the whole thing but I don't think it's necessary. 

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #51 on: February 15, 2012, 10:46:26 pm »
Well I can tell you this wood-glue won't fix that.  I did the same thing you did on my control panel. Cut the slot too big in a spot.

I tried wood glue, super glue, sealer......That T-molding would would not bond to the wood. Gorilla glue might work but your talking your entire side here, that T-molding is not gonna sit tight like you think it will.  I'd redo.  Your too early into this to start cuttin corners now ;D  

Also, when you cut your slot did you account for 1/16" or so for the laminate, so the T-molding lip will sit flush?

Honestly its not alot of work you have 2 beautiful templates to work with.  My dumbass cut a beautiful control panel top had all the holes for the buttons and trakball, eveything....l'll be damned if i didn't cut the slot with the panel upside down. The lip of the t-molding that was suppose to sit flush with the plexi was on the wrong side, which made my jstiks on the right side of the buttons.....

I went into how the hell can i salvage this mode too.  I ended up redoing....Just take your flush cut router bit and use your jacked sides as templates, take all of 30 mins to do 2 more.  Then your good to go...
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 10:57:15 pm by rablack97 »

Ond

• Offline Offline
« Reply #52 on: February 15, 2012, 11:05:37 pm »
If it had of been a single edge, I would have Bondo filled it and routed it out again.  I’ve done this myself on a couple of slip ups and it’s worked well.  Strong contact adhesive similar to the stuff you’d use on laminate could be used to glue in the edging but I wouldn’t do that.  You’ve got a side to use as template so cutting the sides out rough and then running a router around them using the template won’t take that long.  Taking the tip from rablack97 I’d slot cut a test piece allowing the offset for the laminate and check that the cut is going to work before giving it a second go.  I know it's a big pain the ass to have re-do work (I really do) but you'll be happier when that T-molding clicks nicely into place.

TheShaner

• Offline Offline
« Reply #53 on: February 16, 2012, 05:39:30 pm »

Alright, Im going back to formula!

These cab sides are over 2 years old and I have been looking for a reason to jump outside of the box and do something a little more unique, so I'm scrapping everything and going back to the drawing board.  I am keeping the artwork for the most part, but am going to change the shape of the cab sides and slightly change the shape of the control panel.  

I went to a local arcade today, yes, there is still one in town here though it was completely dead, and milled around for ideas.  While everything there was stale, it did spark the imagination and I was able to glean some really killer ideas.

So with that said, I'll be back in a week with some new chit.

Thanks for the help, see you in a week!
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 06:01:37 pm by TheShaner »

TheShaner

• Offline Offline
« Reply #54 on: February 17, 2012, 05:24:56 pm »
Ok, well I lied.  I figure I will keep the same thread going as there is some good info in here that might help someone.  The plight from beginning to end is more valuable than multiple threads.

Spent some time on the drawing board today and redesigned the control panel.  Previously I had used Knieval's photoshop template.  This time, in the spirit of making this a truly original cabinet, I am doing my own from scratch.  So, I designed the shape in Illustrator today.  This will help in the long run, since it is vector, I can send the design off to an acrylic shop and have them cut from the .ai file.  This will ensure a perfect overlay for the control panel.  Rock.  Once the control panel is finalized, I will post the ai template for anyone who wants to use it.

Here is what I have so far:  Not drastically different, but the right curves make it look a little more alien I think.

After Illustrator, I took it into photoshop to get the actual art going.  I have continued to use the Cosmic Frostbit image for now, but that will more than likely be replaced.  This gives a better representation of what it will look like though.

Next will be the cabinet.  I am not going to completely deviate from what I had before, but I am going to try and put a few more cool angles and some curves in it.  Straight cuts = lame.  
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 05:44:27 pm by TheShaner »

SammyWI

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 16, 2022, 07:58:00 pm
« Reply #55 on: February 17, 2012, 08:19:35 pm »
I like the new shape.  More organic / alienish.  Are you just going to recut the outline on your existing CP or are you starting over with a new piece?

TheShaner

• Offline Offline
« Reply #56 on: February 17, 2012, 08:50:58 pm »
I'm gonna cut a new one. I want this to be a complete redo, plus the dimensions are slightly different.   I'll probably cut it tomorrow night.

Epyx

• Offline Offline
  • "You're an oddity"
« Reply #57 on: February 18, 2012, 12:45:56 am »
The biggest question I have if I go laminate is assembly. If I do thing the way epyx did, I would be laminating first, then assembling. This means no screwing from the outside. So what does that leave me doing? Brackets all over the place?  Seems a little odd.

What's an example of where you would even want to screw on the outside?  I can't think of anything other than Donkey call where it was just to match the original aesthetics...other than that you should not have to put any screws on the outside...maybe I am missing something but can you give an example?
Last Project

Epyx Tutorials:
Tutorials

TheShaner

• Offline Offline
« Reply #58 on: February 18, 2012, 11:00:59 am »
Epyx, that is just the way I had always seen it done.  I am not a woodsmith, so going straight into the support pieces from the outside seemed like the normal way to me.  Coming from the inside seems ddangerous!  Drilling angled pilot holes, then screwing into them, seems like it would not provide as much support as you would be going all of the way through the support beams, and only halfway into the mdf.     I know Im probably wrong, just thinking out loud.  I would rather not have screw holes on the outside!

Nephasth

« Reply #59 on: February 18, 2012, 12:14:47 pm »
Meh, there's a million ways to skin a cat. Many original arcade cabs have carriage bolts going from the outside into the support brackets. Do what you're most comfortable with, it is your cab after all.

TheShaner

• Offline Offline
« Reply #60 on: February 18, 2012, 12:28:17 pm »
Definately, thanks Neph.  I would like to approach the joining of the pieces in the best way possible, so I definitely appreciate and encourage the input.   I am going to try and join this from the inside, so I am going to have to read up on the technique involved.  Am I correct to assume that I am looking at a bunch of angled pilots and perfectly measured screws?

Junai

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 22, 2015, 10:13:24 am
« Reply #61 on: February 21, 2012, 03:18:39 pm »
Assembling from the inside is pretty easy.  If you get skeptical about strength use some construction adhesive along with it.  Considering the thickness of the cab you could probably get away with just glue and some dowels but some screws would make it much sturdier.  If you arent ready to free hand your pilots make a jig for the thing.

alfonzotan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 28, 2023, 08:39:45 am
    • The Cab With No Name
« Reply #62 on: February 21, 2012, 03:33:36 pm »

Paint is awesome when done with painstaking effort ie Bella's Cab, whereas laminate can probably be done by a small army of trained bonobo chimps..it's that easy to throw glue on some laminate and trim it for a perfect finish.

I'll have you know I resemble that remark...

Regarding the cost of laminate, look up your local WilsonArt distributor (if you have one) and buy direct from them.  I got two sheets of 4x8 black laminate for around $65, total, last year.  Just ordered it by phone, drove over and picked it up.  It looks so good, a buddy of mine who does professional carpentry asked me where I'd gotten melamine boards.  (I take no real credit here, I just followed Epyx's tutorial, and it turned out great.)

Regarding assembling from the outside, piece of cake, just countersink the screws, then laminate over that when you're satisfied.  It's easy (must be, since I did it).  Lazy man's countersink (doesn't matter if it's an ugly hole, since you're covering it with laminate anyway):  just stick a small triangle router bit on the end of your drill and jam it in the screw hole.  Whirr, done.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 03:36:32 pm by alfonzotan »

TheShaner

• Offline Offline
« Reply #63 on: February 21, 2012, 07:46:15 pm »
Regarding assembling from the outside, piece of cake, just countersink the screws, then laminate over that when you're satisfied.  It's easy (must be, since I did it).  Lazy man's countersink (doesn't matter if it's an ugly hole, since you're covering it with laminate anyway):  just stick a small triangle router bit on the end of your drill and jam it in the screw hole.  Whirr, done.

I like the cut of your Jib Al.

Some progress today ...

Went ahead and cut the new control panel.  I must say I like the shape even more now that it is actually cut.  The top is old panel, the bottom one I cut today.

The cutting went a lot smoother this time too.  I have found after doing this twice now, that if you cut the paper before taping it, on everything but your corners, it is a lot easier to see that jigsaw blade while you are cutting cause the paper is not getting in the way.  Then you can do a really rough cut for the rounded corners and sand them down.  Also, if you are drilling the holes for the buttons, it is a good idea to go ahead and mark each hole a little with your 1 1/8th bit first.  Sometimes the paper will rip away when you are doing the full hole and you end up guessing.  If you just use the center of the bit to make a mark first, you can go back and do all of them without worrying about the paper ripping.

Also got the trackball in today.  3" illuminated HAPP Golden Tea replacement.

Should have the Neon rings in tomorrow.  If anyone is looking for those, they can still be found.  These guys still have stock of them:  http://www.pyleaudio.com/sku/PLNR15BL,  They are a little cheaper on ebay though.  I'' post some exact measurements on them once I get them for anyone trying to plan.

Picking up the wood for the sides tomorrow, going to try and get those started.  With any luck i might be doing some assembly this weekend.

TheShaner

• Offline Offline
« Reply #64 on: February 23, 2012, 02:04:34 pm »
A little more progress ...

So I sat up last night and redesigned the cab sides.  I started off by laying one of the original sides down on top of a new piece of MDF and traced it.  Then I started playing with it.  I really wanted to do something a little more unique than what I had before, so I started drinking and sketching.  By the time I was drunk, I had a pretty good set of curves on the baby, and what was cool was that 75% of the shape now was done freehand so it looks a little more natural.

One of the nice things about officing out of the house is that I can take a lunch break and knock out some cab work, which is exactly what I did today.  Here is the completed cut sitting next to the old side, a lot better in my opinion.  Im still probably going to sand the back a little to smooth out that curve, but it's pretty darn close.

Last it looks like I will be cutting a 3rd control panel.  I realized yesterday that my design was flawed.  The 7th "run" button that I added to the original six is too close to the joystick.  So I have removed the templates I put up here and will post them again once I have corrected the spacing issue.  At least I am getting really handy with power tools with all of this redo work!

Nephasth

« Reply #65 on: February 23, 2012, 02:11:36 pm »
I like the shape of your new pieces, looks a lot more organic, more "alien".

Green Giant

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 29, 2016, 06:50:57 pm
« Reply #66 on: February 23, 2012, 02:39:30 pm »
A little more progress ...

So I sat up last night and redesigned the cab sides.  I started off by laying one of the original sides down on top of a new piece of MDF and traced it.  Then I started playing with it.  I really wanted to do something a little more unique than what I had before, so I started drinking and sketching.  By the time I was drunk, I had a pretty good set of curves on the baby, and what was cool was that 75% of the shape now was done freehand so it looks a little more natural.
I am a big fan of your planning process.  Best method I have heard about in years.

My only concern is how will you handle the front bottom portion of the cab?  That is a mighty big curve.

One question, what are the three buttons above each player?  Player 1/2, Coin, ___________
"He lives down there in his valley,
The cat stands tall and green,
Well, he ain't no prize, and there's no women his size,
And that's why the cat's so mean"
Toxic Arcade, my first build

TheShaner

• Offline Offline
« Reply #67 on: February 23, 2012, 02:48:13 pm »

I am a big fan of your planning process.  Best method I have heard about in years.

My only concern is how will you handle the front bottom portion of the cab?  That is a mighty big curve.

One question, what are the three buttons above each player?  Player 1/2, Coin, ___________

Thanks Green.  I have spent years perfecting my planning process.

The curve will only be on the sides.  I am going to run the front straight up about an inch in from the center most of the curve.

On the buttons ... I had originally had player 1/2, coin and pause.  Now I am starting to rethink the coin button.  I really want to force the user to use tokens.  I will either need to find another button I can use there, or nix it.  Guess I better figure it out before I cut the next control panel.  I really dont want to have to do it a 4th time.

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #68 on: February 23, 2012, 03:02:57 pm »

Oh man, you gotta try kerffing that thing first.  It's not too steap and would look completely sick.  Great lines so far, better and better man.   :applaud:

Ond

• Offline Offline
« Reply #69 on: February 23, 2012, 03:04:14 pm »
.......  I really want to force the user to use tokens. 

Just a thought, I'm doing the same thing but I'm still providing myself with a 'secret' credit button either under the CP or somewhere else.  I'm going to use a really small pushbutton inset into the surface i.e. flush with surface the same colour as my cab.  

Ond

• Offline Offline
« Reply #70 on: February 23, 2012, 03:06:51 pm »

Oh man, you gotta try kerffing that thing first.  It's not too steap and would look completely sick.  Great lines so far, better and better man.   :applaud:

Or you can just take plywood and curve form it over some shaped ribs  ;D.

Green Giant

• Offline Offline
« Reply #71 on: February 23, 2012, 03:10:19 pm »

Thanks Green.  I have spent years perfecting my planning process.

The curve will only be on the sides.  I am going to run the front straight up about an inch in from the center most of the curve.

On the buttons ... I had originally had player 1/2, coin and pause.  Now I am starting to rethink the coin button.  I really want to force the user to use tokens.  I will either need to find another button I can use there, or nix it.  Guess I better figure it out before I cut the next control panel.  I really dont want to have to do it a 4th time.
An exit button perhaps.

I have 2 exit buttons wired in series on either side of my control panel.  Also have 2 pause buttons wired parallel.  This way on two player games it takes both players to exit a game but either player can pause it.  Don't want any kids getting beat to have an easy way out.

As for coin buttons.  I wired up 2 buttons underneath my control panel on the part that hangs out from the cab.  My coin door also works in case I want to disable the buttons underneath.  Nice part is that disabled or not, you don't ever see them.

TheShaner

• Offline Offline
« Reply #72 on: February 23, 2012, 04:03:01 pm »

Ive never really done any wood work before, so I had to look up kerfing after I realized it wasnt a misspelling.  That kicks ass.  I am totally going to go for trying to make the curve.  It wont be exact as I will need enough flat to get the coin door in, but I should be able to match the curve pretty good.  Thanks for the tip Chuck!

Green Giant

• Offline Offline
« Reply #73 on: February 23, 2012, 04:15:34 pm »

Ive never really done any wood work before, so I had to look up kerfing after I realized it wasnt a misspelling.  That kicks ass.  I am totally going to go for trying to make the curve.  It wont be exact as I will need enough flat to get the coin door in, but I should be able to match the curve pretty good.  Thanks for the tip Chuck!
If you can do the curve, split it into 3 section.  Have the coin door projecting outwards almost in a box.  Then on either side of that have the curved part.

If you can pull it off, it will look amazing.  Damn I really need to update my cab.

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #74 on: February 23, 2012, 09:33:40 pm »
Yeah I'm using your same layout and from experience, you won't ever use that darn pause button.

Unless you plan on hanging around in mame the whole time you play, that button is practically useless.

You can always disable your credit buttons if you want via the IPAC, or just unplug the buttons.  I had your same theory about forcing quarters, but some days you just wanna hit a button and play.  I got a great deal on my coind door, but it's been used all of ZERO times.

I think theres some kerfing in this thread somewhere http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=13118.0

Some more right yonder http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=91011.120

Good luck on those curves, considering you mentioned you dont have great working skills you sure picked a hell of a curvy project to practice on....Will look sweet if you pull it off though....

Don't fret though, i didnt know jack either about woodworking, bought all the tools from day 1.  All i had was a drill to start off with.

Next thing you know i'm building touchscreen ticket booths for my media room...It amazing what you learn from an arcade machine build
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 11:24:28 pm by rablack97 »

dandare

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 25, 2013, 08:43:44 am
« Reply #75 on: February 24, 2012, 03:51:16 pm »
Really loving the new shape cp and cab!

If you finish this cab with only making 3 control panels i applaud you.  :applaud:

My basement is basement is a control panel graveyard!

What joysticks are you going to be using?

TheShaner

• Offline Offline
« Reply #76 on: February 25, 2012, 10:48:19 am »
Thanks Dandare, I am actually going to tweak the shape just a little bit tomorrow.  I am going to smooth out the top and back.  I already have it drawn on the wood, just need to sand out the angles.  Going to go as organic and flowing as possible.  Then I am going to route the other piece with a flush bit, and then cut control panel#3.  Im not drilling the holes until I get the joys in though.

I ordered some green LED joys from Paradise Arcade.  Has anyone used any of these before?  If so, do you have a measurement on the underside? 

Man, I came up with the best idea last night.  Not going to let the cat out of the bag yet, but if I have enough time tomorrow to start it I will share. 

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #77 on: February 25, 2012, 11:11:26 am »
You change avatars more often than I change socks. 

TheShaner

• Offline Offline
« Reply #78 on: February 25, 2012, 06:21:23 pm »
I'm working on my image. Gotta look my best for all the ladies here on the boards.

Epyx

• Offline Offline
  • "You're an oddity"
« Reply #79 on: February 25, 2012, 09:56:14 pm »
Shaner, the CP looks great as do the cuts...can't wait to see some kerfing updates ;)
Last Project

Epyx Tutorials:
Tutorials