Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Whats the latest on spinner speed sensitivity on the Z axis.  (Read 3440 times)

TopJimmyCooks

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 01:18:39 pm
Whats the latest on spinner speed sensitivity on the Z axis.
« on: January 30, 2012, 12:56:23 pm »
Over the weekend I realized all my spinner games were set on an analog speed of 1 and I was steering by just resting my hand on the spinner and breathing.  I need to slow it down.  Tempest is ok but arkanoid is unplayable.  Cameltry is playable but the graphics are choppy.  I just spent a 1/2 hour reading old threads on mouse/spinners on Z axis and didn't come up with anything I could run with.  It seems like somewhere I read that the scroll wheel was 3x more sensitive than XY or something. 

• Turbotwist 1 with onboard optiwiz
  • spinner is on Z, trackball on XY
  • windows XP 32

Is there a way to change this in Mame?  Should I let the spinner share X with the trackball, (which works great sensitivity wise)?  Should I change the mouse polling rate with software from some russian overclocking site? find a new mouse driver?  make a new encoding wheel with half the hash marks on it? 

Any help/wisdom is appreciated.

mgb

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 21, 2024, 06:18:13 pm
  • North East, US
Re: Whats the latest on spinner speed sensitivity on the Z axis.
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2012, 05:50:20 pm »
Heres something from the wiki. http://wiki.arcadecontrols.com/wiki/Spinner_Turn_Count

I also remember reading some other threads on this somewhere around here

TopJimmyCooks

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2012, 09:47:50 pm »
I appreciate that, MGB.  I'm fully read up on the state of spinners in 2006  :laugh2:  Seriously, the first thread listed in the wiki is one I spent a lot of time with when I first got the spinner and I enjoyed reviewing it. 

If anyone has info on how to reduce the effective tooth count, change polling rate, etc. let me know, otherwise I'll see if I can have both 1 axis of the trackball and the spinner on the x axis of the optiwiz.  the polling rate change program in the first link under the wiki doesn't work, I guess I can mess with the russian warez version further but it didn't work right off.   could be user error.  would love to know if that's worth looking into in the first place. 

RandyT

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 03:33:28 pm
  • Friends don't let friends hack keyboards.
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2012, 03:18:22 pm »
It seems like somewhere I read that the scroll wheel was 3x more sensitive than XY or something. 

Actually, it's about 4x.  This is the doings of Windows and the way it handles the Z.  MAME used to handle it properly, prior to the RAW input update.  I understand that a patch is still floating around for later versions.

Poll rates have nothing to do with this, and you do not need to mess around with any of that for a TT2 to work correctly.

RandyT

TopJimmyCooks

• Offline Offline
Re: Re: Whats the latest on spinner speed sensitivity on the Z axis.
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2012, 04:02:59 pm »
Thanks Randy, its an older TT1 with attached optiwiz board.  I'll do a look for the diff to patch that in mame.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

TopJimmyCooks

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2012, 10:43:43 am »
Update:
I'm trying to run a version of mame newer than is supported by the current Z axis diff.  I dropped a line to u_rebelscum to request an updated diff.  I'm assuming he/she is busy in the real world, so I'm going to delve into making the change to mame source to divide z axis input by 4.xx by hand this weekend.  I'll report results back here.

TopJimmyCooks

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2012, 10:48:14 am »
Further update:
Bagged it, got out the soldering iron and switched to X axis.  Much better and easier. Z axis is more trouble than it's worth if you're on XP and current (144) mame. 

TopJimmyCooks

• Offline Offline
Re: latest on spinner speed sensitivity on the Z axis. (OPTIWIZ Question now)
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2012, 11:03:08 pm »
If both a trackball X axis and turbotwist spinner are connected to the Optiwiz 1.0, Do I need resistors on the trackball leads or something?  right now my trackball's working XY but my turbotwist on X isn't working at all now.  Thought it was but i may have been moving the TB or mouse. 

RandyT

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 03:33:28 pm
  • Friends don't let friends hack keyboards.
    • GroovyGameGear.com
Re: latest on spinner speed sensitivity on the Z axis. (OPTIWIZ Question now)
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2012, 12:23:34 am »
If both a trackball X axis and turbotwist spinner are connected to the Optiwiz 1.0, Do I need resistors on the trackball leads or something?  right now my trackball's working XY but my turbotwist on X isn't working at all now.  Thought it was but i may have been moving the TB or mouse. 

This won't work.  If you want to use the X axis for each device, you will need a DPDT switch on the output lines in order to switch between the two devices.  Otherwise, each device must have it's own axis connection,

TopJimmyCooks

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2012, 08:28:44 am »
Ug.  OK - I need to decide between getting another optiwiz and running two or delving back into compiling the Z axis divide by four thing.  Thanks for your help, Randy. 

TopJimmyCooks

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2012, 03:21:42 pm »
Since someone referenced this thread today - a quick update.  I fixed this by doing a patch on the mame code and compiling.  it divided the Z input rate by 4.XX to get it proportional to X and Y.  The spinner was then set up to use Z axis.  Works fine in both mame and windows.

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,75693.0.html  this post has the information on what the patch is.  There's no .diff that I know of for this, I just searched the code for the line to be replaced and manually replaced it, and compiled.  worked for mame 146.