Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Turbo-tastic!  (Read 11267 times)

Rick

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 09, 2023, 01:16:55 pm
  • Bartop, Cocktail and Pinball Arcade Cabinets
    • Gameroom Designs Canada
Turbo-tastic!
« on: July 19, 2013, 07:09:46 pm »
Inspired by Sjaak's "Fix-It Felix, Jr." build, and by MarioXB's comments...

Maybe later we can get Turbo Time, Hero's Duty and Sugar Rush. Sugar Rush can probably be a Mario Kart mod..

...I would like to present the idea I want to work on next, once my Doom 3 inspired "Super Turbo Turkey Puncher 3" cabinet is complete. Yes, it's "Turbo Time", from the movie, Wreck-It Ralph.

It has been noted that the game is actually based on Rally-X, and while it does have some similarities, Rally-X uses a joystick and button configuration, while Turbo Time seems to employ a steering wheel and shifter, similar to Pole Position.

So, I was thinking of building a full-on custom cabinet using scavenged Pole Position hardware, or possibly a different driving wheel and shifter, and partner with someone who could give me a hand with the programming, and a bit of the art... I'm fine doing the build, but to get the look I want, I'm sure that there are others who have much greater expertise than I.

There's not a heck of a lot of reference material in the movie, so some of it will undoubtedly be custom - I've gone frame-by-frame to grab a bunch of key elements, and it looks like my best bet will be to use the existing Rally-X side art, bezel art and control panel graphics to create as close a 'true to the movie' replica as is possible.

A couple of good points are that it should be a fairly simple build. The cabinet is shaped like the Rally-X cabinet, but with a more vertical placement of the monitor. While I know that I could just source a similar cabinet, I figure cutting some new MDF is just as easy, and I wouldn't be guilty of MAME'ing a game that could otherwise be restored.

(And in all seriousness, with everybody else building multiple projects at once, I was feeling a little left out.)

;)

keilmillerjr

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 06, 2023, 10:20:39 pm
  • Web Developer.
Re: Turbo-tastic!
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2013, 11:36:00 am »

Woohoo! Notice the guy riding the go karts? The flag on his head says RX and his kart says 7?! Its wankel love!

paigeoliver

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 29, 2022, 06:10:15 pm
  • Awesome face!
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2013, 03:29:02 pm »
Do you need any scavenged pole position parts? I think I have a few control panels and pedals left (I had like 6 sets but they have been really popular with people who have come by to buy other cabinets).
Acceptance of Zen philosophy is marred slightly by the nagging thought that if all things are interconnected, then all things must be in some way involved with Pauly Shore.

Jumpman64

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 12, 2017, 04:58:42 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2013, 07:06:12 pm »
Cool!  Have you decided on a development platform?

:cheers:

paigeoliver

• Offline Offline
  • Awesome face!
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2013, 08:05:18 pm »
Just checked, I have at least one populated Pole Position control panel left.
Acceptance of Zen philosophy is marred slightly by the nagging thought that if all things are interconnected, then all things must be in some way involved with Pauly Shore.

Rick

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2013, 08:17:42 am »
Do you need any scavenged pole position parts? I think I have a few control panels and pedals left (I had like 6 sets but they have been really popular with people who have come by to buy other cabinets).

At this moment, I'm not too sure. Depending on what the software requirements turn out to be, it will dictate what the hardware requirements will be. When you say you have a populated Pole Position CP, what does that include? Steering wheel, buttons and shifter? Do you have the pedal as well? (If so, I would love to hear what price you'd be willing to part with them for. PM me, please.)

I haven't given it enough thought as yet. As I mentioned, I'm no programmer. I can do some basic work in Flash, in regards to making images and moving them, but as for having them react to inputs, this is something I don't have experience with. My Wife and I were talking last night, and I joked that if I really wanted to keep costs down, I could omit the internal hardware altogether... So, technically, all I'd need to do is build the shell, complete the artwork, install the steering, pedal and buttons, and slap one of these on the front:

Then, we just let it sit.

:laugh2:

paigeoliver

• Offline Offline
  • Awesome face!
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2013, 10:03:15 am »
Steering wheel, shifter, pretty sure I have a few pedals laying around.

Seith

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 08, 2018, 10:50:41 am
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2013, 11:19:52 am »

At this moment, I'm not too sure. Depending on what the software requirements turn out to be, it will dictate what the hardware requirements will be. When you say you have a populated Pole Position CP, what does that include? Steering wheel, buttons and shifter? Do you have the pedal as well? (If so, I would love to hear what price you'd be willing to part with them for. PM me, please.)

I haven't given it enough thought as yet. As I mentioned, I'm no programmer. I can do some basic work in Flash, in regards to making images and moving them, but as for having them react to inputs, this is something I don't have experience with. My Wife and I were talking last night, and I joked that if I really wanted to keep costs down, I could omit the internal hardware altogether... So, technically, all I'd need to do is build the shell, complete the artwork, install the steering, pedal and buttons, and slap one of these on the front:

Then, we just let it sit.

:laugh2:

You could enter it into galleries as an "art piece".  A scathing commentary on the "keeping up with the joneses" suburban society that western civilization has created.   :lol  :laugh2:

Rick

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2013, 11:48:55 am »
You could enter it into galleries as an "art piece".  A scathing commentary on the "keeping up with the joneses" suburban society that western civilization has created.   :lol :laugh2:

Art piece, eh? Hmm, seems to me I've got another cab on the go at the same time that might also qualify for this distinction. Does that make me an artist, working in the sci-fi meta style? A meta artist, if you will?

Sjaak

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 06, 2024, 05:21:26 pm
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2013, 01:28:35 pm »
Following this...is there any video of the game in the movie?

Rick

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2013, 01:52:20 pm »
Following this...is there any video of the game in the movie?

Very little. There's a screenshot showing gameplay here...

...and there's a clip of the Turbo driving and coming in first, and then standing on the stage, elbowing the second and third place players - and showing their disgust - but other than that, not much else. To me, gameplay looks a lot like Super Sprint.

I think this one's a lot easier to get around than the FFJr. build. There's so much in-depth info in that one, you have your work cut out for you. This one looks like you could build up a Super-Sprint clone, with a few screenshots of Turbo thrown in for good measure, and voila.

(And he only really ever says, "Turbo-tastic!" in his game clips, so ... one soundbite? Awesome.)

CoryBee

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 21, 2023, 07:12:25 pm
  • Bopity Boopy
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2013, 02:24:20 pm »

Love this idea!
« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 09:03:55 pm by CoryBee »

Rick

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2013, 08:33:27 pm »
Love this idea!

Thanks! I think I've found my niche. Happy to exploit said niche.

:D

MastarArcade

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 20, 2014, 02:42:08 pm
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2013, 11:19:41 am »
Not sure how far anyone has gotten with this, but I'd love to contribute if at all possible.

I was recently thinking about starting this project (in my very limited down time), and happened to stumble upon this thread.

mcseforsale

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 09, 2024, 03:07:41 pm
  • Creepy Mario Dude
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2013, 12:30:26 pm »
I need to see this.  This is gonna be good.   :woot

ubscribedse

AJ

Rick

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2013, 12:39:04 pm »
Not sure how far anyone has gotten with this, but I'd love to contribute if at all possible. I was recently thinking about starting this project (in my very limited down time), and happened to stumble upon this thread.

It's likely that I won't be working on this for a while, and I'm certainly not one to stifle competition! If you're working on it, just do me one favour - post a build thread, so I can follow yours as well.

---------------------------

High praise indeed! Thanks, AJ. (Replied to in the fashion you're most familiar with.)

:P

I need to see this.  This is gonna be good.   :woot

MastarArcade

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 20, 2014, 02:42:08 pm
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2013, 12:36:27 pm »
Will do. :)

However, as I mentioned, I just 'thinking' about it at the moment, but if I happen to start something up, I'll post a thread.